Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Why would they? America and their allies already used it as a smokescreen to punish the UNRWA and western media already made it common knowledge the UNRWA is full of evil HAMAS terrorists for swaths of the public. The leak did its job

It works every time, the beheaded babies, the rapes, the Hamas rockets misfiring and hitting the hospital, the Houthi pirates, US libs are just desperate to find a counter-narrative which will distract from the fact that the Biden administration is facilitating a genocide. They have the platforms that a lot of Dem voters are still trusting, so they're going to keep running this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Marenghi posted:

Okay that might be no active link, but it was still linked by old data. It's entirely reasonable to presume the Houthis are working with whatever data they can get, some of which may be out of date.

Odd list to post when I went through it none were completely unaffiliated.

This confirms that they cannot have a reasonable belief that they are engaging in a targeted campaign. "Might have engaged in trade with Israel at some point, maybe, we aren't sure" is roughly equivalent to no standard at all—this is why it's correctly being called out as indiscriminate.

Marenghi posted:

I think that's a fair shake at the list. So far every ship I checked in order came up as Israeli link, coalition Navy ships sent to protect Israel, or having been presumed Israeli linked due to flawed evidence.

Again, if the standard above is what you're using to vet this list, the result is a campaign of indiscriminate attacks on ships. And when the Houthis attack uninvolved British-flagged ships trying to transit the Red Sea, they invite a response from the Royal Navy.

Marenghi posted:

It's obvious Israel is trying to deflect links to ships by claiming them as owned by the tax haven their company is incorporated in, with the actual beneficial owners being Israeli.

This is basically how all international shipping works. If you're seeing some sort of conspiracy to mask connections to Israel, and only connections to Israel, that's a you problem.

Marenghi posted:

I also find it hard to understand how some think this is a cover for piracy.

Their campaign has certainly included boarding and seizing ships unrelated to the conflict in Gaza. It fits the pattern of piracy if they then take those ships' cargo for themselves.

It would be one thing if their public statements were along the lines of "we're just going to cause chaos here until we get what we want;" that would at least be honest. The claim that they're attacking only Israeli-linked ships is just a lie, and I have no reason to pretend to believe it, or to humor people who lend it any credence.

Red and Black posted:

By your own calculation the Houthi attacks have cost Israel 4% of its port traffic, which obviously amounts to tremendous economic pain for the Israeli economy. So even by your own admission the Houthis are achieving their goal.

That's if literally none of the Eilat traffic went anywhere else. The 4% is a hard cap.

But both of you have moved the goalposts. They were here:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Israel busiest ports remain unaffected. RIP Sudanese folks I guess.

tagesschau posted:

Meanwhile, 90% of Sudan's international trade flows through Port Sudan.

So, yeah, it's clear who is actually taking the brunt of the pain due to the Houthis' indiscriminate targeting of Red Sea shipping.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

tagesschau posted:

This is basically how all international shipping works. If you're seeing some sort of conspiracy to mask connections to Israel, and only connections to Israel, that's a you problem.

The obfuscation isnt in exploiting tax loopholes, it's in lying about who owns the ship.

quote:

Their campaign has certainly included boarding and seizing ships unrelated to the conflict in Gaza. It fits the pattern of piracy if they then take those ships' cargo for themselves.

Are they? And how does firing missiles fit into this alleged piracy?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If one supports the genocide of the Palestinian people, it’s critically important to believe that the Houthi attacks on shipping are random, continuous, and are unrelated to the genocide. Because if they are related, then the easiest way to make them stop would be to work towards a ceasefire and peace in Gaza.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Best Friends posted:

If one supports the genocide of the Palestinian people, it’s critically important to believe that the Houthi attacks on shipping are random, continuous, and are unrelated to the genocide. Because if they are related, then the easiest way to make them stop would be to work towards a ceasefire and peace in Gaza.

Are you implying someone in this thread supports the genocide of the Palestinian people?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

socialsecurity posted:

Are you implying someone in this thread supports the genocide of the Palestinian people?

Yes. No one can genuinely believe this. It's completely illogical and only the position of someone desperately trying to reinforce a different position they are not allowed to defend.

Staluigi posted:

you're attempting to get money from piracy, but nothing stops a campaign of opportunistic piracy from turning up dismal returns

either now or before appended anti-genocide intents were a part of the campaign

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 5, 2024

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

tagesschau posted:

This confirms that they cannot have a reasonable belief that they are engaging in a targeted campaign. "Might have engaged in trade with Israel at some point, maybe, we aren't sure" is roughly equivalent to no standard at all—this is why it's correctly being called out as indiscriminate.
Agree to disagree. When the main marine traffic website posted year old data linking the ship to Israel, I think that shows they are trying to target Israeli ships.

quote:

Again, if the standard above is what you're using to vet this list, the result is a campaign of indiscriminate attacks on ships. And when the Houthis attack uninvolved British-flagged ships trying to transit the Red Sea, they invite a response from the Royal Navy.

The British Navy is part of the US prosperity guardian coalition. That makes them a target.

quote:

You seem to misconstrued my meaning. Israel claimed the ship was British because it was owned by an Isle of Man company. But the director of that company was an Israeli citizen. It's deliberately lying about the true ownership to give the impression the Houthis are attacking unrelated ships.

quote:

The claim that they're attacking only Israeli-linked ships is just a lie, and I have no reason to pretend to believe it, or to humor people who lend it any credence.

I went through half of the list you claimed proved they attack unrelated ships. And I came up with Israeli owned commercial vessels and navy ships part of the US coalition to protect Israel.

The only outliers was one who was linked to Israel by a marine traffic website using expired data. And a ship which refused to answer Houthis hailing them.

The burden of proof is now on you to show ships they've attacked wholly unrelated to Israel.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

I believe it is against the rules for me to say that, and I resent you trying to get me probed by asking.

What I am saying is that it is a perfectly logical position to insist in the face of all evidence that the current Houthi attacks on shipping are unrelated to Palestine if one supports Israel. It is similar to, and overlaps with, how it is perfectly logical for supporters of Israeli actions to argue that hospitals are valid military targets, that Hamas beheaded 40 babies, and so on and so forth. These narratives are useful to Israel and it makes total sense if one supports Israel to support those narratives.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

tagesschau posted:

What's also indisputably true is that the pattern of the Houthis' attacks shows that not only do those attacks fail to achieve the result they claim to want, no reasonable person (including the Houthis themselves) can possibly believe those attacks, as currently carried out, will achieve the stated goal. That they press on in the face of this knowledge gives us some idea of how truthful their statements are.

No, that is not indisputable. The Houthi attacks have reduced shipping into Eilat, economically harming Israel. The result the Houthis claim to want is to economically pressure Israel and the West into stopping the genocide, and stopping shipping to Eilat aligns with that perfectly well.

Your take is that because the Houthi attacks likely won't succeed at stopping the genocide, that means they must be lying about their reasons. You're essentially constructing a worldview in which any resistance can be safely condemned until it looks likely they'll succeed. I assume this is also why you started complaining about AA not blockading ports on the Mediterranean: If they were more likely to succeed, you would presumably be more inclined to believe them?

I think this is a ridiculous way to view the world. Mainstream liberalism often adopts a similar view. The resistance of yesteryear is valorized and all the messy bits are forgotten, while the resistance of today is visibly disruptive, imperfect and limited by material reality, and so it can be safely demonized as damaging and unlikely to succeed, they're probably just looters and opportunists anyway.

Mandela was a terrorist until he wasn't.

tagesschau posted:

It was one of the insults the Soviets loved to hurl at the West when they couldn't actually think of anything meaningful to say.

The Soviet Union has been gone for three and a half decades. Maybe it's time you let them go?

Esran fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 5, 2024

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Best Friends posted:

I believe it is against the rules for me to say that, and I resent you trying to get me probed by asking.

What I am saying is that it is a perfectly logical position to insist in the face of all evidence that the current Houthi attacks on shipping are unrelated to Palestine if one supports Israel. It is similar to, and overlaps with, how it is perfectly logical for supporters of Israeli actions to argue that hospitals are valid military targets, that Hamas beheaded 40 babies, and so on and so forth. These narratives are useful to Israel and it makes total sense if one supports Israel to support those narratives.

So, because you think it is logically consistent that people who defend Israel would dismiss the Houthi attacks as piracy rather than a defense of Palestine, you're implying that everyone who dismisses the Houthi attacks as piracy rather than a defense of Palestine supports Israel.

Don't do this "not touching!" bullshit - is that what you're getting at? Yes or no.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The Mattybee posted:

So, because you think it is logically consistent that people who defend Israel would dismiss the Houthi attacks as piracy rather than a defense of Palestine, you're implying that everyone who dismisses the Houthi attacks as piracy rather than a defense of Palestine supports Israel.

No, that’s the converse of what I said. Someone who argues Houthi attacks are plain piracy may or may not support Israel. What I have said and am saying is from the other direction: if one supports Israel’s actions in Palestine, one has a strong incentive to argue that the Houthi attacks are plain piracy, because, again, if you want the attacks to stop and also support Israel, it is critical that “the West pushes for a ceasefire and peace” is not a proposed solution to the attacks.

So no I do not think everyone making that argument supports Israel. Rather I think those who support Israel are going to be very inclined to support that argument.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Marenghi posted:

Agree to disagree. When the main marine traffic website posted year old data linking the ship to Israel, I think that shows they are trying to target Israeli ships.

The fact that they have been making no effort to determine whether the ships they're attacking are currently en route to or from Israel makes it pretty clear that they aren't engaging in any specific targeting, and that they consider the collateral damage to uninvolved ships to be something not worth caring about. Whether or not you believe their criteria for targeting ships are valid, the fact that the Houthis aren't giving more than lip service to confirming that a ship actually meets their stated criteria means that the attacks are properly characterized as indiscriminate.

Marenghi posted:

The British Navy is part of the US prosperity guardian coalition. That makes them a target.

We're talking about unprovoked attacks on British-flagged merchant vessels, which invited a response from the Royal Navy. These are attacks against civilian shipping, not against a country's military. It would be helpful if you'd respond to the actual point being made.

Marenghi posted:

The burden of proof is now on you to show ships they've attacked wholly unrelated to Israel.

No, that was already addressed in my previous post, where I addressed your claim that the attacks weren't indiscriminate by showing that they were. I'm not required to repeatedly respond to an already debunked claim every time you make it, and I have no interest in doing so.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

tagesschau posted:

The fact that they have been making no effort to determine whether the ships they're attacking are currently en route to or from Israel makes it pretty clear that they aren't engaging in any specific targeting, and that they consider the collateral damage to uninvolved ships to be something not worth caring about. Whether or not you believe their criteria for targeting ships are valid, the fact that the Houthis aren't giving more than lip service to confirming that a ship actually meets their stated criteria means that the attacks are properly characterized as indiscriminate.
What verification do you want of a group of rebels cut off from the global community.
They've got online sources which aren't always kept up to date or accurate. And they directly hail vessels which in at least one case lead to a ship being unresponsive and getting attacked.

You're asking them to operate with perfect intelligence which not even Israel or the US can accomplish.

quote:

We're talking about unprovoked attacks on British-flagged merchant vessels, which invited a response from the Royal Navy. These are attacks against civilian shipping, not against a country's military.

The "British" ships were owned by Israeli shipping magnates. That's not unprovoked the Houthis have been pretty clear in their intention.

quote:

It would be helpful if you'd respond to the actual point being made.
:ironicat:

quote:

No, that was already addressed in my previous post, where I addressed your claim that the attacks weren't indiscriminate by showing that they were.

You linked to a previous post with a list of unaligned vessels and I went through each one point by point showing how they were linked to Israel or the navies engaged in Operation Prosperity Guardian.

You haven't shown them to be indiscriminate, you just keep repeating that claim even after I sourced the links to each ship from that list.

I'm glad I didn't do them all because it's clear you weren't interested in discussing them fairly. You were just seeking to waste my time painstakingly following up each ship to find their ownership.

quote:

I'm not required to repeatedly respond to an already debunked claim every time you make it, and I have no interest in doing so.

When you give me a list of ships you claimed backed up your point and I was able to debunk them, then it seems you have to provide a proper counter, not just nope out and say you're not interested after i wasted my time debunking what I could.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 5, 2024

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

tagesschau posted:

That's if literally none of the Eilat traffic went anywhere else. The 4% is a hard cap.

Ok so what is it then? 3%? 2%? 1%? Even the latter is massive on the scale of the entire economy.

And this is taking your own assumptions, obviously designed to be as favorable to your position as possible, at face value. We’re not even considering everything else. How many companies are refusing to carry Israeli cargo in general now? How are insurance rates for Israeli companies shipping goods? Even skipping all that, your own argument makes it clear Israel is suffering as a result of this blockade

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Since this thread seemed to have devolved into debating Houthi intentions and the economic impact on Israel, I'd like to take a step back to look at this from a different perspective, which is whether or not their actions are actually effective.

Has there been any [journalistic/academic] analysis done on whether the global community has applied more pressure on Israel because of the attacks on ships in the Red Sea? Or is there just more anger being directed at the Houthis for attacking/abducting civilians and impeding global trade? Or maybe it's somewhere in the middle?

I imagine it's really hard to separate these out, especially since pressure on Israel had been increasing even before the Houthis started attacking ships. However, it seems like most global entities have been condemning the Houthi attacks, including those who are calling for a ceasefire of Israel, such as the United Nations Security Council (well, if you ignore the US blocking the ceasefire portion) and China.

If anyone has some good in depth sources regarding this (e.g. this Brookings article), I'd love to read them!

not a value-add
Jan 17, 2019

Staluigi posted:

you're attempting to get money from piracy, but nothing stops a campaign of opportunistic piracy from turning up dismal returns

either now or before appended anti-genocide intents were a part of the campaign

I just don’t think this really passes the sniff test. Nobody fires a cruise missile in some boneheaded attempt to do what, steal shipping containers? It just defies logic.

What’s so crazy about an attempt to smash up a bunch of Israeli boats? Hell I’ve seen Americans do the exact same thing. Hit the wrong thing? Well sometimes you get bad intel and they were probably up to no good anyway!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'm trying to understand the 4% number as well; is this a potential downturn in traffic compared to normal shipping traffic through Israeli ports? Or is this under current conditions given decreased traffic through other ports?

Would appreciate any hard data giving a better picture. It's difficult trying to look at this with just media reports on traffic impacts in other ports, like I've seen Reuters report that shipping through Ashdod was down 30% week-to-week near the end of October, but has this recovered?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nancy posted:

I'm trying to understand the 4% number as well; is this a potential downturn in traffic compared to normal shipping traffic through Israeli ports? Or is this under current conditions given decreased traffic through other ports?

Would appreciate any hard data giving a better picture. It's difficult trying to look at this with just media reports on traffic impacts in other ports, like I've seen Reuters report that shipping through Ashdod was down 30% week-to-week near the end of October, but has this recovered?

It's really difficult to say because you have to factor in the fact that Israel has also mobilised a huge proportion of it's most economically active workers - you would expect a reasonable drop in shipping regardless.

There's a bunch of estimates but basically the convergence of the effect of the war in toto seems to be a reduction to 1.5-2% GPD growth in 2023 and 2024, with a bounce after the war ends and economic gravity asserts itself:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/oecd-...20respectively.

Nothing to sniff at, but not a disaster and probably entirely priced in at this point.

e: like if I'm an Israeli politician and I'm told that the economic cost of wiping out Hamas (lets ignore for a moment whether that's a realistic goal) is a 1% haircut in GDP growth in years 1 and 2, which I immediately get back in year 3 then that probably feels like a pretty good deal.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 5, 2024

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The economic impact on Israel from its offensive is certainly considerable (although I doubt a minor port's traffic being diverted through the Cape of Good Hope to their other ports or sent across land to Asia is a major component of that cost). The thing is, I really don't think it's anywhere near enough to make them even consider stopping. Hamas has openly stated that they will repeat October 7 again and again until Israel is destroyed, and I cannot imagine the idea of withdrawing and allowing Hamas to start prepping its next attack is regarded as a remotely reasonable price to pay for restoring a small portion of Israeli exports or allowing reservists to demobilise.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I don't think economic pressure would ever get them to stop, not that it means people shouldn't try it.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Nancy posted:

This was a back-of-the-envelope calculation based on Wikipedia listing Haifa as handling 29.53 million tons of cargo annually, Ashdod handling 23.6 million, and Eilat handling 2.6 million. If 85% of Eilat's tonnage, or 2.21 million, is affected, that's 4% of the total of the three ports. Updated data will probably produce a slightly different percentage, but I can't see Eilat, which is far from most population centers and has no rail line leading to it, having suddenly become more important lately.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So this is the result of some light googling so take with a pinch of salt, but I don't actually think Eliat means anything at all to the Israeli economy. They don't export anything from there and there's no rail link. So some shops in Eliat itself are possibly a bit light and some people who have ordered cars from China will have to wait a bit, but otherwise the impact is a bit of a shrug.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
50% of Israels car imports come from Asia through that port.

It's also major route for exporting potash to Asia but I'm unsure what that's worth economically.

Googling comes up with contradictory information. I've seen sources claim it's a key strategic port due to it being the only Asia facing port. Others claim it's vestigal due to its lower capacity compared to the ports accessible by the Suez Canal.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Darth Walrus posted:

https://x.com/naksbilal/status/1754436549737840838?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

bleak lol that Israel doesn't even seem to be bothering with the effort of fabricating evidence to smear UNRWA.

ACORN'd but without even the lazy scam video.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Anyone who believed Israel is a huge mark. They were openly talking about wanting to get rid of the UNRWA in the days leading up to the "shocking reveal", because the UNRWA considers refugee status to be hereditary. Israel wants the Palestinian families they've successfully evicted to stay gone.

https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1751480836682399772

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Even if it was true and some employees were part of the attack or whatever that is not grounds to cut off funding to entire agency. Like I'm sure on a numbers basis that many Red Cross or McDonalds employees murder and nobody is claiming they need to be cut off for it.

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 5, 2024

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Esran posted:

Anyone who believed Israel is a huge mark. They were openly talking about wanting to get rid of the UNRWA in the days leading up to the "shocking reveal", because the UNRWA considers refugee status to be hereditary. Israel wants the Palestinian families they've successfully evicted to stay gone.

https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1751480836682399772

Why are you conflating an ex-government employee with the country of Israel? She currently works for the Kohelet Policy Forum, who openly wants to dismantle several UN agencies.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Ok, well what about this guy?

https://m.jpost.com/israel-news/article-785155

quote:

This only strengthens what we have known for a long time – UNRWA is not part of the solution, it is part of the problem.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Kalit posted:

Why are you conflating an ex-government employee with the country of Israel? She currently works for the Kohelet Policy Forum, who openly wants to dismantle several UN agencies.

I am not. I'm simply paraphrasing what this article had to say, and providing an example of this sentiment.

quote:

Israeli officials have called for UNRWA to be closed and for Palestinian refugees to be brought under the aegis of the UNHCR.

Israel’s biggest criticism of UNRWA is that unlike the UNHCR, the agency defines refugee status as hereditary and irrespective of citizenship in other countries, resulting in the number of Palestinian refugees increasing over time.

But if you think that lady isn't representative, how do you feel about Netanyahu saying it?

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/unrwa-could-shut-down-by-end-february-if-funding-does-not-resume-2024-02-01/ posted:

On Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reiterated his call to terminate UNRWA's mandate and to replace it with other U.N. or non-U.N. aid agencies

How about when Katz says it?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-to-seek-to-end-unrwa-gaza-activities-after-staffers-fired-for-oct-7-involvement/ posted:

“We have been warning for years: UNRWA perpetuates the refugee issue, obstructs peace, and serves as a civilian arm of Hamas in Gaza,” Katz wrote

Maybe you like Smotrich better?

https://www.newarab.com/news/israel-will-have-military-rule-gaza-smotrich-says posted:

Smotrich further said that he and the Israeli cabinet oppose the delivery of aid to Palestinians in Gaza into the hands of UNRWA, saying that it should be Israel that controls the distribution of all aid into and among the Palestinian territory.

Here's Netanyahu saying it several years ago, in case you think this is just related to the current accusations:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/6/11/israel-calls-for-end-of-un-palestinian-refugee-agency posted:

In public remarks to his cabinet at its weekly meeting, Netanyahu said UNRWA perpetuated, rather than solved, the Palestinian refugee problem and that it stoked anti-Israeli sentiment

I think it should be clear what they're complaining about here.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Esran posted:

I am not. I'm simply paraphrasing what this article had to say, and providing an example of this sentiment.

But if you think that lady isn't representative, how do you feel about Netanyahu saying it?

How about when Katz says it?

Maybe you like Smotrich better?

Here's Netanyahu saying it several years ago, in case you think this is just related to the current accusations:

I think it should be clear what they're complaining about here.

Thank you for posting these additional sources. This would have been helpful instead of simply posting a tweet that didn't say anything about the country of Israel's position. I cannot read your mind of an article you're trying to paraphrase when you do not include it as a link.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Fair enough.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

not a value-add posted:

I just don’t think this really passes the sniff test. Nobody fires a cruise missile in some boneheaded attempt to do what, steal shipping containers? It just defies logic.

if you have cruise missiles and you got the blessing to gently caress poo poo up in the region in general why wouldn't you use them is what would defy logic

'take potshots and hope to get some kind of a disabling or surrender situation' sure beats what opportunity piracy gets up to when all they have is small boats and guns and still go at it hard

quote:

What’s so crazy about an attempt to smash up a bunch of Israeli boats? Hell I’ve seen Americans do the exact same thing. Hit the wrong thing? Well sometimes you get bad intel and they were probably up to no good anyway!

yup

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, why wouldn't you use them? It's not like people will get mad and start bombing you over it. You got the blessing to gently caress poo poo up in the region in general.

Esran fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 6, 2024

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Jaxyon posted:

ACORN'd but without even the lazy scam video.

besides the whole thing where israel just decides that full-blown violent ethnic cleansing of the palestinians is just something they get to do, the way they did this UNRWA poo poo feels to me like that israel's decades and decades of using their free hall pass for genocide and violent reprisal completely dissolved their ABILITY to bother with offering real evidence or justification for the poo poo they do. like, in this case they don't care and so they haven't even bothered, but they also just lost the capacity to not make this look like total obvious bullshit, and it really shows the second they start trying to offer their version of evidence. like the ACORN comparison is spot on, because the whole op feels exactly as cynical and shoddy as literally project veritas, but this time representing a whole nation

so they're flashing that hall pass (and it works, none of their opposition worldwide even matters enough to stop the current campaign) but they're doing it in a way which could cash out the whole ecosystem they made for themselves that muted any effective opposition, and then they'll find that all the institutional muscles they're supposed to use for believable PR are just completely atrophied away

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Seems like the ghoulish Telegram channel showing palestinians being humiliated, tortured and killed and israelis/sionists laughing and cheering was at least partially an IDF enterprise.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...8d-f4b6a9c00000

This is the perfect invisible news for the West because it's not like anyone is showing much of civilian destruction/carnage in the first place, so they were never going to look too deep into that. And revealing that it has an official angle makes it even more feel-bad for audiences, or rather, the editorial teams.

It's kinda bizarre how in actual Israel, media vehicles have more guts to show content that toes the narrative than elsewhere. It doesn't get them applause, and i suspect media laws are going to harden in Israel along with everything else after this, but still.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Esran posted:

Yeah, why wouldn't you use them? It's not like people will get mad and start bombing you over it. You got the blessing to gently caress poo poo up in the region in general.

They had gotten away with it for a decade without being bombed for it. Judging by the fact that China is yelling at them over it, it might just be because of the deal China worked out between China and SA to get them to stop. And uh, they then didn’t stop.

Relatedly, I saw some news that China is going to send ships to escort civilian ships in the Red Sea to help ward off the Houthis.

Sephyr posted:

Seems like the ghoulish Telegram channel showing palestinians being humiliated, tortured and killed and israelis/sionists laughing and cheering was at least partially an IDF enterprise.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...8d-f4b6a9c00000

This is the perfect invisible news for the West because it's not like anyone is showing much of civilian destruction/carnage in the first place, so they were never going to look too deep into that. And revealing that it has an official angle makes it even more feel-bad for audiences, or rather, the editorial teams.

It's kinda bizarre how in actual Israel, media vehicles have more guts to show content that toes the narrative than elsewhere. It doesn't get them applause, and i suspect media laws are going to harden in Israel along with everything else after this, but still.

Ugh, that’s so horrible, but also completely unsurprising. They were always getting up to awful poo poo.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 6, 2024

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Kchama posted:

They had gotten away with it for a decade without being bombed for it. Judging by the fact that China is yelling at them over it, it might just be because of the deal China worked out between China and SA to get them to stop. And uh, they then didn’t stop.

Relatedly, I saw some news that China is going to send ships to escort civilian ships in the Red Sea to help ward off the Houthis.

Ugh, that’s so horrible, but also completely unsurprising. They were always getting up to awful poo poo.

During that decade their ports were being blockaded by US Navy ships, preventing food and medicine from entering the country, leading to cholera outbreaks and the deaths of tens of thousands of women and children. Not saying you're doing this, but it would seem kind of ghoulish to call any naval action under those circumstances piracy.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I saw something that was absolute batshit and I had to share it here. The Ministry of Education of Israel has a website where they have a database of suggested classes in every topic.

https://pop.education.gov.il/teaching-tools/teaching-practices/search-teaching-practices/advocacy-ai/

Google translated:

quote:

Purpose
Building propaganda materials with the help of artificial intelligence, for the purpose of fighting for consciousness on social networks and proving the righteousness of Israel's way in the war that was imposed on us. This activity strengthens the students' involvement (citizenship, in practice), allows the expression of feelings, develops creativity and resilience, strengthens national personal identity and contributes to the national effort to achieve victory.

The author of the practice:
Iris Peled , technopedagogue, physics teacher at "Katzir" gymnasium Holon and national instructor supervising the teaching of physics, develops online courses.

https://pop.education.gov.il/remote.axd[https://meyda.education.gov.il/files/pop/28055/truth.png?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=452&height=216&rnd=133454777870000000

Note: "Propoganda" is translated from "Hasbara" which is not a pejorative in Israel (depending on your circles, anyway).

Basically this is a class that teaches highschoolers how to MAKE propaganda using AI. Presented as this shinning example of how to instil both "national personal identity" and developing technological skills. loving dystopia.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Interesting article on the Houthi maritime sanctioning.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/how-houthis-mined-commercial-intelligence-sabotage-global-trade

quote:

Houthi rebels in Yemen are tapping into troves of commercially available maritime intelligence to locate and attack vessels in the Red Sea, current and former western defence officials and maritime experts say.

Late last year, when the Swan Atlantic chemical tanker was attacked by the Houthis, the owner blamed Marine Traffic for incorrectly stating that the vessel was managed by an Israeli-linked company.

The US has said the Houthis are indiscriminately targeting ships in the Red Sea, but Dirk Siebels, a maritime security expert at Risk Intelligence, a Danish risk assessment firm, said that was “a political argument, not one that is backed up by the available evidence”.

“The Houthis have had some collateral damage, but all in all, they have been pretty accurate,” he told MEE.

Major Chinese ship owner Cosco has detoured, but since the Houthi attacks started, new Chinese shipping lanes have sprung up adverting their transit through the Red Sea with port calls in Istanbul in Turkey and Jeddah in Saudi Arabia, in a bid to capitalise on the dearth of ships.

“The Iranians are very happy with the image the Houthis are creating of Russian and Chinese vessels being safe.”

Dirk Siebels is a senior analyst at a Danish security intelligence firm, and holds a PhD with a specialisation on sub-saharan Africa maritime security. So to have him say the claim that Houthis are engaged in indiscriminate piracy is a political argument lacking evidence, gives credence to the idea that this is a rudimentary form of sanctions the Houthis are enforcing against Israel and their allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Marenghi posted:

Interesting article on the Houthi maritime sanctioning.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/how-houthis-mined-commercial-intelligence-sabotage-global-trade

Dirk Siebels is a senior analyst at a Danish security intelligence firm, and holds a PhD with a specialisation on sub-saharan Africa maritime security. So to have him say the claim that Houthis are engaged in indiscriminate piracy is a political argument lacking evidence, gives credence to the idea that this is a rudimentary form of sanctions the Houthis are enforcing against Israel and their allies.

Have you considered the counter-argument that while the targets they hit may not resemble indiscriminate attacks, that's actually just the Houthis being incompetent at indiscriminate targeting of all shipping?