Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

Mines and insects.

Oh, you get used to the insects. Just don’t go outside ever. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

virinvictus posted:

stuff that loving owns

Dude, that loving owns! It's like that Kate Beaton book Ducks but with gold instead of, well, black gold

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If your takeaway from Beaton's Ducks was that that owns, then, holy christ.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 31, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I didn't finish reading it. I understand horrible things happen.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Animal-Mother posted:

I didn't finish reading it. I understand horrible things happen.

Did you get more than 10 pages in?

Yeesh.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Super unlikely to find someone here, but ever since Facebook got rid of the Jobs tab I'm not sure where to look.

I need a candy chef, part to full time, in Plymouth MA. Flexible hours, day or evening shift.

PM if interested.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Super unlikely to find someone here, but ever since Facebook got rid of the Jobs tab I'm not sure where to look.

I need a candy chef, part to full time, in Plymouth MA. Flexible hours, day or evening shift.

PM if interested.

try https://culinaryagents.com/?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Squashy Nipples posted:

PM if interested.

I can manage a peppermint stick and some peanuts

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
chefs aren't made of candy, mostly liquor and rage

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Naelyan posted:

chefs aren't made of candy, mostly liquor and rage

I know, I know, I know....

I have some kids from the local highschool culinary program, and I'm always trying to gently warn them about what kitchens are like.... because my little candy shop is nothing like that.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Come over here, children! I have candy!

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024

Squashy Nipples posted:

I know, I know, I know....

I have some kids from the local highschool culinary program, and I'm always trying to gently warn them about what kitchens are like.... because my little candy shop is nothing like that.

Working in a candy shop sounds awesome. Maybe I'm getting influenced by Willy Wonka.

Don't think I'd want to move somewhere that cold to do it, though.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Still remember when one of the chef instructors in culinary school told us about a student who did the ol' "dip your finger in something and have a taste" to a pot of molten candy. Scarred both the finger and his mouth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Republicans posted:

Still remember when one of the chef instructors in culinary school told us about a student who did the ol' "dip your finger in something and have a taste" to a pot of molten candy. Scarred both the finger and his mouth.

How do you still put it in your mouth after feeling the heat on your finger?

Also, loving gross if that's candy people other than you are going to eat.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Good of you to scold the person reporting someone else having been physically injured for doing something dumb years ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prayer group posted:

Good of you to scold the person reporting someone else having been physically injured for doing something dumb years ago.

How was I scolding anyone? There was some scalding happening in the last few posts but that wasn't the fault of me or the OP

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Generally speaking, you are extremely abrasive and generally do deserve derision. But not in this case, you were very clearly just screaming into the ether. Also props to the new avatar, the old one physically repulsed me.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The General posted:

Generally speaking, you are extremely abrasive and generally do deserve derision.

The Poster's Mantra

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The General posted:

Generally speaking, you are extremely abrasive and generally do deserve derision. But not in this case, you were very clearly just screaming into the ether. Also props to the new avatar, the old one physically repulsed me.

I'm abrasive but the guy who accuses me of things you agree I didn't do isn't? I hope you don't break your neck when you fall off your high horse.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 23, 2024

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Let's move on.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I absent-mindedly dipped a finger into a batch of caramel once. I did NOT taste it, the wayward digit was under running cold water instantly. No blister, no scar. I consider that a lesson.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

I absent-mindedly dipped a finger into a batch of caramel once. I did NOT taste it, the wayward digit was under running cold water instantly. No blister, no scar. I consider that a lesson.

You know how we're all stupid and when a knife falls off a counter, your first instinct is to reach for it?

Well, same thing happened except it was a candy thermometer that got hit by a bubble and started falling into the pot. Thumb, index finger, middle finger, up past the first knuckle. Lost a couple layers of skin, not at all fun. 1/10, do not recommend.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm knocking on every wood available right now, but I've had zero candy burns in three years of cooking sugar. Two high school kids have gotten small contact burns on their forearms from cleaning the deep kettle when it's still hot (it's almost 3 feet deep), and one minor burn from the bag sealer, and that's it.

Well, early on I gave myself a small burn from the caramel. It wasn't even that hot, we were dipping apples, so it was probably down to 180-200 degrees. But that's the thing about hot sugar, it sticks to you like napalm: a little spot of 200 degree caramel can burn you way worse then touching an 800 degree pizza oven, because your reflexes will pull you away from contact with the oven. Everything we do on the hot side is well over sterilization temps, so we wear gloves strictly for our own protection.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
How did someone cop a burn on the bag sealer? That's effort

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
So it turns out the grease trap and one of the toilets that a client managed to clog share the same downpipe to the sewer. Ask me how I know!

Does anyone have a preferred degreaser? :negative:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh my dude... I had a similar incident with my brand new plumbing, dumbass teenage girl flushing tampons, combined with the clean out on the engineering drawings not existing.

The most practical advice I have, is you are going to have to clean it like three times.
My favorite degreaser comes from Restaurant Depot, let me go look it up.

One gallon usually lasts me a while, as you need to dilute this A LOT for most applications. This is good for the gunk that builds up on the door, the nasty fur that grows on the ceiling fan blades, etc. etc.

I would use that for the first two cleanings, and then switch to Windex with amonia or Lemon scented amonia for the last clean. (always dilute properly, of course)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

angerbot posted:

the grease trap and one of the toilets

This is my Jazz band's name.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Republicans posted:

Just a home cook here. I was making my first caramel at the start of the pandemic for a Japanese purin. I was pretty sure the caramel was dark enough, but I wanted to make sure.

As my finger approached the molten sugar, my brain was asking itself, "Doesn't sugar melt at like 350 degrees farenheit?" While my brain was sorting that out, my finger breached the surface of the caramel.

Immediately yanked it out and wiped it off... with my other hand. Now I had two burns. Then reason took the captain's seat, and I got the caramel off me with a kitchen towel and water.

The first one, the one of my finger, blistered and entered my top 5 burns.

Worst part was that it took out my motivation to finish the purin.

Anyway, I wonder if that kid's brain short-circuited and he stuffed his finger in his mouth like he would for a normal burn or something.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
A rather hard week ended with my chef telling me, "Good work today, Chef."

:unsmith::hf::fsn:

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
So. I'm out singing karaoke on the outskirts of town. A couple buys me a beer as they close their tab(I didn't notice them prior to this).

I served them dinner last night. A nice $200 upscale steak dinner outside of Chicagoland. They stayed just long enough to hear me belt out "gently caress you" by ceelo green.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Does anyone have a cheat sheet for the ServSafe Manager? By the gods, this is boring.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Just gotta have it open on your phone or something. No way around doing the time, I don’t think

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

No, I just wanted a one-page review sheet for the test. All the acronyms, the key temps, etc. etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's super easy, I did it while reading a book at the library and if you aren't an idiot you should be able to answer the questions without actually watching it.

This was before smart phones existed so maybe they made it harder now?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Does anyone have a cheat sheet for the ServSafe Manager? By the gods, this is boring.

ServSafe is stupidly easy. The questions, at least when I took it in 2002 and again in 2006, were like, "Should you wash your hands after using the restroom?" "Should you wear gloves while handling raw, uncooked meats?" "Should you thoroughly clean soda dispensers on a regular basis?" "What is the appropriate way to react to a patron who is visibly over-served or intoxicated?" "Should pots and pans be washed and dried before re-use, yes / no?"

Sure, it's dry and boring, but it's an easy pass.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, it's a test that if you fail you should probably not prepare food for yourself, let alone anyone else. just put it on your computer and look at your phone the entire time or vis versa.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I did actually take a physical ServSafe class years ago before handler cards were mandated by FDA food code, and holy poo poo did I learn a lot because the instructor really went above and beyond.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
One of my managers likes to ask, "Would you be ServSafe certified?" like an evangelist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Depending on the state you legally need some sort of food safety certification to work in a restaurant. Depending on the restaurant it's a gamble if they actually check. I always got my food safety card, but half the places I worked never asked for proof of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I think they were more asking for a list of guidelines/regulations to post somewhere for easy access. Because like we’re all saying, it’s dumb easy to pass it but that doesn’t mean you actually retain any of the info