Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Maybe it's just me, but for the past three generations Nintendo has refused to make a home console without a gimmick attached to it, and that gimmick has routinely made said consoles lag behind their competitors. I just want them to be a regular company that makes regular video games that play on a regular console, and that they either can't or won't feels antagonistic.

I want them to continue making handhelds instead because I have no desire to buy a normal console

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Froghammer posted:

Maybe it's just me, but for the past three generations Nintendo has refused to make a home console without a gimmick attached to it, and that gimmick has routinely made said consoles lag behind their competitors. I just want them to be a regular company that makes regular video games that play on a regular console, and that they either can't or won't feels antagonistic.

I don't think Nintendo sees releasing a direct competitor to Sony and Microsoft's console as a practical race to join. They could do a console with no controller or handheld gimmicks, but on the other hand, the Wii got a level of mass appeal they'd probably prefer to replicate. Their systems having planned obsolescence as part of their inherent qualities is also certainly a feature in their eyes.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Andrast posted:

I want them to continue making handhelds instead because I have no desire to buy a normal console
Right, so you can understand how someone that has no interest in handhelds could completely fall out of love with the company and see their focus on handhelds as a negative rather than a positive

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My switch pretty much just lives in the dock.

The portability is nice, but trying to play TotK on it felt almost miserable with how hard it felt to read the UI. Handhelds just dont really have the use/appeal to me anymore - either they're small enough to be convenient to bring along, but then severely limit what games they can do well, or they're big and cumbersome and get tiring to hold for more substantial games, and probably don't have great battery life.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Froghammer posted:

Right, so you can understand how someone that has no interest in handhelds could completely fall out of love with the company and see their focus on handhelds as a negative rather than a positive

Yes but saying it feels antagonistic towards you because they don't cater to you is silly as poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's also silly to call them not competing with Sony and Microsoft in terms of mechanical power anti-consumer

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I don't know what to tell you other than them making it clear they don't care about my money certainly feels antagonistic. Maybe that's just bellyfeels on my part.

Oxyclean posted:

The portability is nice, but trying to play TotK on it felt almost miserable with how hard it felt to read the UI. Handhelds just dont really have the use/appeal to me anymore - either they're small enough to be convenient to bring along, but then severely limit what games they can do well, or they're big and cumbersome and get tiring to hold for more substantial games, and probably don't have great battery life.
Same. Traveling is podcast / book reading time, gaming is a thing I do at home to unwind.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Oxyclean posted:

This is wild to me because I played 100% of TotK in handheld mode and never once second guessed doing so. Like, to the degree that you're posting this and a light bulb just went off in my head that I missed out.

The Switch was showing its age years ago, it's true, but I've still gotten my money's worth out of the console and then some. I think it's aged better than the ps4, if at least because my ps4 did every goddamn thing slow as hell either in game or in the system's UI.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I also probably just lack a comfy place to do switch gaming. I could see it being nice if you've got a comfy couch/chair and want to game while hanging with a partner or pet, or just getting comfy in bed.

I do most of my gaming sitting at my PC - where I can either be on a voice call with friends or at least have an easy way to read messages. I just have one of my monitors set up so I can hit a button and swap it's input to the Switch (and I route the audio through the PC line-in so I can balance it against other stuff on my PC)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Froghammer posted:

I don't know what to tell you other than them making it clear they don't care about my money certainly feels antagonistic. Maybe that's just bellyfeels on my part.

you're not the demographic. why is that a personal attack on you?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Froghammer posted:

Same. Traveling is podcast / book reading time, gaming is a thing I do at home to unwind.

You'll feel a lot happier if you get yourself out of the mindset that you're the protagonist of reality and everything needs to cater to you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Froghammer posted:

Silly as poo poo. You not being catered to isn't an attack on you.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 5, 2024

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I canm't loving believe they are ignoring their iconic IPs and not making a new The Magic of Scheherazade

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i know right that poo poo was iconic

meanwhile, what a gently caress is chibi robo

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Why the gently caress has Nintendo not made a Star Tropics 3?!?!?!?!?!???!!!?? THEY ARE DEAD TO ME

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Someday we'll get Super Mario Bros 2 Part Two: Wart's revenge

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Indecisive posted:

i know right that poo poo was iconic

meanwhile, what a gently caress is chibi robo

An awesome Gamecube game that they've made a ton of lovely sequels to that all seem to ignore what was cool and interesting about the first.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MagusDraco posted:

I'll wait for the Gameboy Ultradvance X2 version that gives him a voiceover.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is this rant just because they put Incineroar, Byleth and Sora in Smash instead of Bandana Waddle Dee and Master Chief?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nintendo is personally assaulting me and gang stalking me by not making a dating sim starting birdo.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MagusDraco posted:

Don't threaten me with a good time

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sometimes Nintendo helps give you what you want and then you realize you were a moronic child to want it in the first place.

"Give me a 3rd Golden Sun game," I said. And then...:smith:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's on you, Golden Sun was always terrible. Might as well ask for another Ice Climber

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh no, this new Ice Climber game is poo poo. Of course it's poo poo, it's loving Ice Climber, have you played Ice Climber? It's poo poo!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

watched the 1st two episodes of woolie vs HL2 and dont think i can watch him fumble around any longer. i do hope he keeps going + plays the whole way with mouse + keyboard, idk how you can go SO long and still be so bad at normal fps controls. tho to be fair, he's bad with controller also, just not an fps gamer I guess, but he cant even handle basic move + sprint + jump movement

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh did he actually give up and use M+K on something instead of jury rigging some weird controller setup?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I figure original Doom would be better for Woolie to train himself on WASD movement, but Doom probably wouldn't give them enough to keep up the banter.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Unit24 posted:

Watching Woolie play HL2 is just as painful as I had hoped/feared. Never in my life had I seen anyone get dropped to less than half health before even starting Route Kanal, or take a full 30 seconds to very carefully take out one barnacle.

I am genuinely excited for next time. He is going to get so lost in Ravenholm.

Dude, this LP is going to be agony. I'm 50/50 on Woolie thinking that only specific props deal damage with the gravity gun and ignoring it, or him getting constantly killed due to insisting on only using the gravity gun.

Also, he's playing with a gigantic FOV and his TV is like a mile away from the couch, lmao.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
He can't touch type, this lp is underlining that quite a bit imo and I doubt he'll ever learn. Alternatively the slight offset is loving him up but it seems fairly extreme. At any rate he's gonna have trouble with weapon switching later if he keeps relying solely on the mouse wheel.

He did lower the fov for the boat per chat's suggestion so maybe he'll forget and leave it on 90. He did have a few cool moments in episode 3 at least. Although he's constantly almost drowning because he keeps leaving the flashlight on and doesn't realize how the suit's aux power works.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Rody One Half posted:

Oh did he actually give up and use M+K on something instead of jury rigging some weird controller setup?

He's trying to power through, but he'll accidentally hit the windows key or something and be like "Okay. Pause. Bind crouch to mouse button."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Super Mario Party made more revenue than any xbox game in the past five years.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
He should play L4D2 with Reggie

choopercabra
Aug 8, 2006
Doesn't Woolie also have a problem with controllers in that his death grip keeps pressing the analog sticks? It's no wonder he loves fighting games so much, his hands were made for smashing those large arcade buttons.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

This Peter Pan story to open the podcast loving went places lmao

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I never trusted that motherfucker

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Him being a Faye suddenly makes everything about that story make a lot more sense.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, it really puts it into context, but i'm more referring to the bit about taking Wendy's daughter leading to Pat to think "hey, isn't that how Woolie's great grandpa died?" and it beign met with a "yeah kinda..." lmao

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Him being a Faye suddenly makes everything about that story make a lot more sense.
Pat noting that Captain Hook having a hand made of fae-killing metal was pretty neat. Although I suppose Hook's hook would be steel rather than cold iron.

Either way, now I want James Hook: Oberon's Bane to be a thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am watching the PSA FF7R2 VOD and I like how it's been like ten minutes and pat has just largely been sitting there, wide-eyed and slack-jawed, speechless

no japes, no shenanigans, just dumbfounded at what he is witnessing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I am watching the PSA FF7R2 VOD and I like how it's been like ten minutes and pat has just largely been sitting there, wide-eyed and slack-jawed, speechless

no japes, no shenanigans, just dumbfounded at what he is witnessing

Thanks for posting this. Not really sbfp related but i was always tempering my expectations for part 1 of Remake cuz i wasn't sure if they'd execute it to the extent I wanted and was wise to do so cause the game was excellently made, there was a lot I had problems with including (spoiler for 25yo game) the plate drop was absolutely fumbled in execution imo, the ending left me a little disappointed (too much sephiroth for my tastes, wish they pulled back a bit on this to save this kind of scale for later. it's gonna be silly seeing cloud & co slay these gods then go get their asses kicked by random dogs, mice and bandits while walking to Kalm in the next game lol). Midgar, while great, was never my fav part of the game either. Still enjoyed part 1 of Remake overall and I expect to warm to it more over time.

WITH THAT BEING SAID i am extremely letting myself get 1000% hype for rebirth as it looks like everything I could ever want since I adore this section of the game when things really open up. I was on the fence on whether to play the demo or not but your post just convinced me that for my tastes i want to just stop consuming any Rebirth content now and wait for all of it to consume me on feb 29th 😌

Thanks pal :tipshat:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 8, 2024