Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DangerDongs posted:

Anything short of "mass psychological issues caused by released ancient virus" will be lame. Previous mental illness issues exacerbating the virus pan out well.

So basically season 3 but if the conspiracy theorist documentary filmmaker was 100% right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

HootTheOwl posted:

why is everyone so insistent on a virus?

The main mystery has had very little movement the last few episodes. We now know there is a cave. The rest of what we have learned has not been of the main mystery.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Navarro: theres no ice caves around

Teacher guy: actually there are

Navarro and Danvers: oh OK cool

very good writing around the introduction of the ice caves

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Don't forget them needing the expertise of a science teacher to use Google to find the important link of the suspect and the caves lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We can’t stop here, this is Night Country! 😡

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Poo Detective

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I AM GRANDO posted:

For being such an ominous and evil presence in the town, the mine hasn’t really done anything especially evil in the series so far, other than poison the water supply.

This made me lol.

Are you the CEO of Nestle?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Fiona Shaw makes less and less sense every time she shows up. She’s just Navarro’s eccentric mentor who says a bunch of weird stuff and has new rooms in her house in which give exposition each time Navarro stops by? I’m guessing when she was a scholar she learned all about the spiral stuff and relocated to Ennis to play some kind of role in whatever’s happening/ensure that she gave birth to the Eternal Champion Rust Cohle.

Reddit has a theory she’s a ghost, but she has a bunch of scenes alone in episode one and her radio experiences the same electric disturbance that multiple characters see in that episode, which a ghost radio wouldn’t do, probably.

We haven’t seen those electric disturbances since episode one, have we? Excepting what happens on Annie’s murder video, which is from six years before?

I came to Alaska because I like the quiet... too bad about all the ghosts dancing, causing traffic accidents, and snarling in your face.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nearly four seasons in, and they STILL haven’t shown us who the True Detective is.

e: also, from Reddit:

quote:

Opinion from an Alaskan

This is the first season I have watched of this show, solely because of its location, and let me tell you. The things they are hitting on in this show are spot on and therefore hard to watch. The domestic abuse, the alcohol issues, drug addiction, mental health issues and even the paranormal element are all REAL THINGS we deal with up here. Even the fact that Danvers is the town bike, everyone gets a ride. My mom is a village health professional and has worked all over the state including the North Slope. She has had direct experience with ghosts of murdered women, stillborn babies,child abuse, sexual abuse, on and on. After tonight's episode she called to tell me she wouldn't watch anymore because it set off her PTSD. Anyone who talks poo poo about this show doesn't know what the gently caress they're talking about, and is spewing a secondhand opinion based on ignorance.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 6, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You can either talk about your very real, actual experiences with ghosts, or you can poo poo on other people for their ignorance, but if you try to do both at once that's where you lose me.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

Navarro: theres no ice caves around

Teacher guy: actually there are

Navarro and Danvers: oh OK cool

very good writing around the introduction of the ice caves

I feel like that interaction works, even if it was a clumsy way to introduce the caves because it really hits a point that it made last episode which is that although Navarro is an indigenous woman she is absolutely not part of the indigenous community. Otherwise she would probably know something about the ice caves, which I assume are somehow going to be connected to the indigenous stuff and Annie K's murder.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrMojok posted:

Nearly four seasons in, and they STILL haven’t shown us who the True Detective is.

No one said it wasn't real (true, even) they just said it was boring

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MrMojok posted:

For a second I thought he was going to say his mom was also the town bike.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

MrMojok posted:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I agree unleashing some ancient biological infection from the ice definitely seems most likely but I don’t think there’s any way to square some of the stuff, like multiple unrelated “she’s alive” declarations / shared delusions / folding of clothes / etc.

Also if that’s the case then the mental illness and ghost stuff all coming up at the same time (and existing before any of this happened) is some next level red herring bullshit … as well as the Annie K stuff being completely unrelated despite the show insisting there’s a connection.

Is the incubation period just whatever the plot demands at the time? Why is it only an extremely small group of people and not everyone (as in like, massive scale suicides)?

Just give me an entire episode of harry potter’s aunt smoking weed and prepping dinner with ghosts.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

wow, Rust Cohle and Harry Potter are cousins?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

With all these ghost jump scares this doesn't feel like True Detective at all anymore. It's clearly a completely new IP that they just rebranded during pre-production.

Admittedly, I did sleep through most of the episode but from reading this thread I didn't really miss anything important so my opinion still stands

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

GABA ghoul posted:

With all these ghost jump scares this doesn't feel like True Detective at all anymore. It's clearly a completely new IP that they just rebranded during pre-production.

Admittedly, I did sleep through most of the episode but from reading this thread I didn't really miss anything important so my opinion still stands

Yeah, after the last episode I'm pretty sure the ending is gonna be a ghost did it and everything that happened can be explained as spooky ghost behavior and doesn't need any more consistency or explanation beyond that. Which is lame and why ghost stories suck.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The jump scares in this are identical to Grave Encounters. Open mouth pointing. It's so incredibly lazy. A product of zero ambiance on the mystical side of this season.

They should have either grounded the season completely in reality or gone full into the horror. If they went full realistic it could have been a great story about figuring out the cold case murder while dealing with resistant locals from the tribes and the town. If they went full horror they could have explored more ghost stuff and tundra mysticism without it being jarring.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The jump scares being more depressing than fearful is fine. Good even, imo.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

I was really intrigued by this show after the first episode and jazzed for all of the mysteries it seemed like it was laying out to unfold, but it’s been steadily losing me every episode. Characters seem to either be treading water, developing in very boring, obvious ways, or disappearing into the background. I was still hype to watch Danvers and Navarro until this episode. I absolutely hate hack horror poo poo so team night country lost me with the jump scares and that awfully-delivered final line by Otis. And I almost equally loathe as much the writing trope of hinting at a tsundere character’s ~*trauma*~ that they are just too tough to ever speak about. In the first episode I thought that Danvers’ loss of her husband and kid was going to be revealed to further her characterization via illuminating her relationship with her native adopted (?) daughter, but even if they do get to it later the timing window has passed for me to give a poo poo - just too late in the game to want to get to know Danvers more. And they’re still doling this out in bits in pieces while showing her hooking up with Dr. Who twice. We get it, she’s a horny, unlikeable rear end in a top hat (whomst amongst us).

I think I could get over the poorly-paced development of characters and answering the various mysteries and horrible needle drops if the horror aspects didn’t feel like they were written for Scary Movie with the jokes stripped out.

Lots of good dogs though so at this point I’m hanging in to hear their happy little awoos and see their fluffy coats.

\/\/\/ yes this is a very good way to put it!

matureaudiencesonly fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 6, 2024

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
This truly is the American Horror Story of True Detective, down to the stray threads that go nowhere and obnoxious needle drops. I do really like the cast, though, and the pulpy nature of the show when it goes there.

But of all the characters, Danvers confuses me. Was she mocking, or pointing out Navarro's mental illness when she accused her of seeing ghosts? If that's the case, she's an unhinged rear end in a top hat for no reason, like when she went full joker about prayer.

Or is she suddenly a believer? That would be just ten seconds after saying ghosts are not real and you're a stupid idiot moron if you think they are.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Double post

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

I feel like that interaction works, even if it was a clumsy way to introduce the caves because it really hits a point that it made last episode which is that although Navarro is an indigenous woman she is absolutely not part of the indigenous community. Otherwise she would probably know something about the ice caves, which I assume are somehow going to be connected to the indigenous stuff and Annie K's murder.

People dont go randomly through the brooks range either. About 600 people live in the area total. Its about 750 by 150 miles big

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 6, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Doltos posted:

The jump scares in this are identical to Grave Encounters. Open mouth pointing. It's so incredibly lazy. A product of zero ambiance on the mystical side of this season.

They should have either grounded the season completely in reality or gone full into the horror. If they went full realistic it could have been a great story about figuring out the cold case murder while dealing with resistant locals from the tribes and the town. If they went full horror they could have explored more ghost stuff and tundra mysticism without it being jarring.

As a big Grave Encounters fan, yeah absolutely, gonna need to rewarch Grave Encounters again now. Way better movie than this show. Everyone should watch it. It's fun.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Whale Vomit posted:

But of all the characters, Danvers confuses me. Was she mocking, or pointing out Navarro's mental illness when she accused her of seeing ghosts? If that's the case, she's an unhinged rear end in a top hat for no reason, like when she went full joker about prayer.

Or is she suddenly a believer? That would be just ten seconds after saying ghosts are not real and you're a stupid idiot moron if you think they are.
Yeah this really bugged me. Whatever the point was, it was handled very sloppily.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Whale Vomit posted:

I really hope they're making her a complex character that turns into a blatant villain. Like making Peter go out on Christmas Eve then using it as an excuse to get her daughter off being rung up on vandalism. If they make her heroic then I guess she's just an unhinged rear end in a top hat.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao this episode. no ice caves. no, ice caves

incredible writing

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, after the last episode I'm pretty sure the ending is gonna be a ghost did it and everything that happened can be explained as spooky ghost behavior and doesn't need any more consistency or explanation beyond that. Which is lame and why ghost stories suck.

The ghost is Navarro’s sister, who is dead now. My money is on her being responsible for all the scientist deaths.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My off-the-cuff guess is loving magnets. Of the electro kind.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
oooh the brooks range also has a lot of fossils

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao the polar bear

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Has anyone said aliens yet? That’s my bet in the solution pool

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

right arm posted:

Lmfao the polar bear

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao

mystes
May 31, 2006

I haven't watched the most recent episode but I'm guessing this means it was really bad cg?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
jodie foster's been looking bored as gently caress all season

it's like, she'll deliver the lines right and do an overall adequate job with what she's given but lol she doesn't look like she's into it at all

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Navarro's sister being found instantly is kind of bizarre.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kawabata posted:

jodie foster's been looking bored as gently caress all season

it's like, she'll deliver the lines right and do an overall adequate job with what she's given but lol she doesn't look like she's into it at all

I reckon she's giving a great performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Navarro's sister being found instantly is kind of bizarre.

Travis floating out there on the ice floe all night with his semaphore flags.