Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

flavor.flv posted:

Every single time I get a package from China...

Feels like your birthday.
Love his channels.

My AliExpress package is coming tomorrow. I ordered Gameboy cartridges of a Pokemon hack and grimace’s birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
huh, the mupen RA cores instantly crash when loading them (even just loading them with no content in the menu). parallelli works buuuut mupen is better.

I'd use standalone but..cheevos..

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I heard people complain about RGB30 charging problem.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

are there any linux based handhelds which implement c-to-c charging properly, most of them still seem to get it wrong even though it only takes a few resistors to negotiate 5v

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

stephenthinkpad posted:

I heard people complain about RGB30 charging problem.

I got one a month ago and it's been unusable because of that -- it basically doesn't hold a charge properly at all.

I read it gets better if you open it up and deattach/reattach the battery cable (resets some memory thingy), but the device needs to be disassembled including being very carefully not to break the plastic tabs holding it together (there's no battery compartment) and I just keep putting off and haven't gone ahead to try it, thus the RGB30 currently holds the record of being the worst of those devices I've got so far, which is a drat shame because the screen is great.

gently caress it, gonna give it a go this weekend.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah the inconsistency about charging and battery life was the main thing that made me mostly give up on my RG353P as it made it feel oddly unreliable, hasn't been as much of an issue with my RG35XX but I imagine at least some of that is because that device doesn't do standby modes it's either on or off as well as the fact that it's lower powered in general

Meanwhile the Retroid Pocket 4 Pro can be sitting around in standby unplugged for several days and it's still in the mid 70's for charge(admittedly I haven't actually done much of anything with the device out because even thinking about messing around with Android to get it all setup just immediately exhausts me mentally)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

russ gamecorp posted his video on the $70 powkiddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVxSdVQwQ6s

mystes
May 31, 2006

repiv posted:

russ gamecorp posted his video on the $70 powkiddy
I ended up ordering one yesterday so I'm glad that it seems to be pretty decent

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finished Dawn of Sorrow for the DS. Man that system had some bangers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nintendo's pretty much owned the handheld business until the third party retro handhelds started becoming viable(but even their market is tiny compared to Nintendo). Excuse me while I duck from all the PSP(I was a PSP1000 guy with CFW) and Vita shoes being thrown.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I just don't think big handhelds are handheld. Yes Nintendo should have made a thing smaller than the Switch Lite.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I said it last week but playing my DS is making me want a modern Nintendo clamshell so badly. The flawless suspend mode is a game changer.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rolo posted:

Finished Dawn of Sorrow for the DS. Man that system had some bangers.

Now go get DSVania Randomizer and play it again, but different. And again and again and againagainagain why do I have all these files on here that are other things what even was the point of that

I've tinkered with a lot of randomizers and this one is top of the list. Give it a shot at least once.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just don't think big handhelds are handheld. Yes Nintendo should have made a thing smaller than the Switch Lite.

Honestly I found the Switch Lite to be a nigh unusable device between how tiny the screen was(at least for modern games clearly designed for larger screens) and the controls being surprisingly iffy, have had a much better time with the Switch OLED I bought a couple weeks ago

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

the problem is they couldn't make an actual switch much smaller than the switch lite, so going any smaller would mean returning to a split market where handheld games are their own thing, and i dunno how much appetite there is for that anymore

mystes
May 31, 2006

repiv posted:

the problem is they couldn't make an actual switch much smaller than the switch lite, so going any smaller would mean returning to a split market where handheld games are their own thing, and i dunno how much appetite there is for that anymore
I think the 3ds was pretty popular with kids for most of its life so there might be demand for it but I doubt they could get 3rd party developers to make games specifically for another lower powered handheld in 2024. The switch is probably the bare minimum to allow porting games from other platforms.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I wish there was a switch lite that could still plug into a dock. Actually, not a dock, make it like that genki thing. Something I can throw into my purse to play some jackbox at a friend's house

mystes
May 31, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

I wish there was a switch lite that could still plug into a dock. Actually, not a dock, make it like that genki thing. Something I can throw into my purse to play some jackbox at a friend's house
I mean there's no technical reason for not allowing the switch lite to dock and they just did it to not cannibalize sales of the normal one, right?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's a genuine BOM reduction, the regular switches have a dedicated chip on the main board which muxes the tegras separate usb data and video interfaces into a single usb stream, and the lite doesn't have that component

they could have made it dockable, but it would have cost them more, and having to support the higher docked clock speeds might have also complicated cooling etc

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 4, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Anbernic 556 is going to be $175, so estimated roughly RP4 performance for $25 more. But also is using a bigger OLED screen so might be worth it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

mystes posted:

I mean there's no technical reason for not allowing the switch lite to dock and they just did it to not cannibalize sales of the normal one, right?

From my recollection the Switch Lite is completely missing the hardware needed for it to do Video Out through its USB port or to go into the higher performance of Docked Mode(though if you connect it to something with enough ports you still can connect wired controllers to it, as pointless as that would generally be), it is possible to add that functionality but you would need to cannibalize said parts from a regular Switch and the price difference between the two is so slight that would be an incredible waste of time and effort to do so unless you happened to have a broken regular Switch lying around

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

repiv posted:

I think there is plenty of market for a sub $100 kid device.

Something in the shape and price of the 35xxH with no sd card slot and play download games only. Open all GBA/SNES games for purchase, and port selected DS and Switch 2D games on it (like the Celeste type of modern 2D games).

This goes back to Nintendo philosophy of trying to tight control everything even though they can expend their market if they loosen up control of their old ip. It's very easy to offer something better than emulation handhelds, just add trophies to the old games. Wait Nintendo doesn't have a trophy system? What the gently caress.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Who started the trend of light rings around sticks?

mystes
May 31, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think there is plenty of market for a sub $100 kid device.

Something in the shape and price of the 35xxH with no sd card slot and play download games only. Open all GBA/SNES games for purchase, and port selected DS and Switch 2D games on it (like the Celeste type of modern 2D games).

This goes back to Nintendo philosophy of trying to tight control everything even though they can expend their market if they loosen up control of their old ip. It's very easy to offer something better than emulation handhelds, just add trophies to the old games. Wait Nintendo doesn't have a trophy system? What the gently caress.
For nintendo, I think it's simply not worth the effort for them to have developers spending time porting games to a weaker device if it would just result in less sales of the switch lite, and for 3rd party developers of games like celeste, it might not be worth it to support nintendo at all if the market was split between two devices which would require double the work to support (maybe more because the weaker the hardware, the more changes the games would require compared to other platforms)

Emulation is easier but why would nintendo want to launch a new platform that causes people to just play classic games with a cheap subscription rather than buying their new games for $50 each?

I think the 3ds made sense at the time because there was less competition so it was possible to get 3rd party developers to make games specifically for it, but nowadays with the existence of smartphones and the switch, it simply doesn't make sense for nintendo to make a separate portable console.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 4, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
$175 is a good price again the 2 RP4. I think its lighter than Odin, 331 gram vs 360 gram Odin 1 and 420 gram for Odin 2.

mystes posted:

I think it's simply not worth the effort for them to have a ton of developers spending time porting games to a weaker device if it would just result in less sales of the switch lite

Yeah but Switch Lite competes with Switch regular though, you just need one of them. A gamer can however buy both Switch and a GBA sized thing. Its like comparing a compact car to a motorcycle. I still haven't bought a Switch I would have bought a smaller device.

Again it's about offering more options even though you don't necessarily make much more money than not offering the options. Does Nintendo care about making gamers happy or just want to minmax the profit.

BTW does the new Advanced War Switch port actually offer anything new or just replace the chatty cutscenes with more stylish and equally boring chatty cutscenes?

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 4, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Anbernic 556 is going to be $175, so estimated roughly RP4 performance for $25 more. But also is using a bigger OLED screen so might be worth it.

Yeah if it’s an OLED that $25 is absolutely worth it IMO.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Seems like the RP4 is having trigger issues according to the subreddit. They are sending replacement backplates and people are replacing the springs themselves. Doesn't seem too bad but it is an issue.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

err posted:

Seems like the RP4 is having trigger issues according to the subreddit. They are sending replacement backplates and people are replacing the springs themselves. Doesn't seem too bad but it is an issue.

There's a potential problem, but they're offering 2 year warranty on those parts specifically

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah but Switch Lite competes with Switch regular though, you just need one of them. A gamer can however buy both Switch and a GBA sized thing. Its like comparing a compact car to a motorcycle. I still haven't bought a Switch I would have bought a smaller device.
A lot of families buy one Switch to hook up to the TV as a "family" console, like how a lot of families treated the Wii, and if they have more than one child they buy Lites for the kids. Even without that I don't know how much the Lite competes with the regular Switch, because the Lite is for people who only really play games on their commute or in bed or whatever and think the Switch is too big for that.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Again it's about offering more options even though you don't necessarily make much more money than not offering the options. Does Nintendo care about making gamers happy or just want to minmax the profit.
:lol: at the idea that Nintendo gives even a single poo poo about what "The Gamers" think.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Polymega update of the day (not that anyone else cares):
Things are better on the controller front as I scored an xbox 360 wired controller (OEM) from goodwill and it works with no fuss. So much better than the Polymega universal controller.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

mystes posted:

I think the 3ds was pretty popular with kids for most of its life so there might be demand for it but I doubt they could get 3rd party developers to make games specifically for another lower powered handheld in 2024. The switch is probably the bare minimum to allow porting games from other platforms.

There's plenty of devs out there making lower-powered games that could easily work with even half the Switch's capabilities, but the bigger problem is that Nintendo's bigger competition for lower-powered handhelds these days is on Android and iOS.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/miyoominiplus/status/1754307145321926962?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

$189.99 (shipping is included in that price).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The RG556 is up for pre order.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Looks like its android only? Is that the limitation of the chip, I thought anbernic usually let you run linux

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It’ll be the chip yes, a lot of these more powerful SOCs are built around running Android.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’m loving my Retroid Pro 4, 1TB microsd, tons of games up to Wii (need to try Switch), and Android isn’t half bad since you can automate updating emulators and load up different frontends and all that fun stuff.

Honestly, I’ve mostly been PS5 game streaming Baldurs Gate with it more than anything.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My RP4 has become a Picross S machine this week :v:

It's legit the perfect size for it as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I like OLED screens so let’s see how this new machine is in a month lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MarcusSA posted:

I like OLED screens so let’s see how this new machine is in a month lol

The cycle continues!

I haven't done much with my 4P yet actually, though it does run Star Rail very well even on non-performance mode (though holding L2 for ultimates doesn't let you press the button to fire them off but I'm willing to chalk that up to a unity input/star rail issue)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Do you guys know any other front end that support Yuzu besides Daijisho?

I was using reset collection fine but it just stop working for both of my devices. My problem with Daijisho is that its designes to use more bottons to navigate the UI. Unless I am mistaken I have to use both D pad and LB RB to navigate. I wish its simpler so I can just hand it off to my kid. Its also got small things like inconsistent font and size that reminds me all the bad ergonomic of Kodi.

If there is no other frontend that supports Yuzu I might just go back to basic b android launcher.