Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; ehh nevermind can kind of find some ideas online already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

"Remove"

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Nice. Pearl is so god-drat good.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Linocut, black and gold ink on paper
18 x 24 inches

Yo dupersaurus, thanks for pointing me in the right direction over in the woodworking thread. After a couple experiments, here's my first ever print:

(recipient's name censored)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The print work in this thread is just off the charts amazing.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
When life gives you lemons...

I need to get some better detail brushes.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Yo dupersaurus, thanks for pointing me in the right direction over in the woodworking thread. After a couple experiments, here's my first ever print:

(recipient's name censored)

https://i.imgur.com/U4C5Wvb.gifv

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Touched up shadows and highlights.

Even my smallest brush felt too big for this part.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mustang posted:

Touched up shadows and highlights.

Even my smallest brush felt too big for this part.

You are making improvements in leaps and bounds! Im super impressed. Those leaves are so nice. and the space between the lemons

I wanted to make this a 3 color block with a blue background but i just couldnt get the ink to do what i wanted so i said gently caress it and just did a 2 color. My holiday cards for this year
linocut on totally the wrong paper - watercolor paper - with speedball ink which was probably the worst purchase ive ever made and ill never recover from the abuse and effort it took to keep it the right viscosity.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thank you! I'm a student of a local professional artist with like 50 years of oil painting experience and several decades of teaching experience. He's been great at giving me increasingly difficult projects to work on and tips for improvement, I'll definitely keep being a student of his unless he eventually retires.

Making your own cards has something I've been interested in lately too, and I've already replaced hallmark style cards with cards designed by local artists. I like how that one turned out! Reminds me of the finches that hang out in the tree by my back porch.

Gouache and watercolors is something I want to start learning as well and work into my painting repertoire.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Hello art forum. I have never had a reason to post here before.

Is there a specific thread for watching Bob Ross's The Joy of Painting and finally taking the plunge or is this the right one?

This was done using the official Bob Ross Master Set paints and tools, on a bad palate and worse/cheap canvas. Based on this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mO3qjbDv24

Things I have learnt so far:

I went overboard on adding sticks down the front.

The little water fall in the middle was a happy little accident and looking at it now I should have added some rocks and splashes to the base of it.

The brown log thing was supposed to be a dirt edge of the water, but ended up looking more like an old log. I should have added some black branches to it.

I tried to do highlights on the trees at the front but it just became a green mud instead of yellow highlighted.

The cut in the mountain in the centre is me trying to fix something. Should have left it as is.

The odorless paint thinner Is NOT the Bob Ross stuff. It was sold to me by an art shop lady, and it sucked. I need a much bigger can to wash the paint off in, the one she also sold me is tiny and would work if I was using 1-2cm sized brushes, not 1-2 Inch. I should/could have used my old Games Workshop one instead. I need a bigger bucket and I need much better paint thinner. I suspect getting a bigger can to wash in may have worked fine for the actually thinner.

I had a big bucket to beat the devil out of the brush, but I need something across the bucket to really hit the brush with - hitting the sides just got paint back on it. It was pretty useless at actually drying the brush an I ended up using an entire roll of paper towels to try (and fail) to get the muck off.I read I should buy some dowel and glue it inside to use.

I need more brushes so I don't need to clean them every single colour change. Ugh. My canvas is small so I only need 1inch and some fan brushes.

The Official Bob Ross Paints suck as Official Bob Ross Paints. They were all very oily. I did kneed the tubes first and shook the magic white beforehand. I do think the magic white worked quite well. I had read to try putting it on cardboard for 30 minutes first to soak up the liquid and then use it. I will try that next time.

The brown at the bottom is the final conclusion of mud mixing I ended up doing it. It was supposed to be yellow highlights on light green and ended up a brown mud. :(

I have read that Windsor paints are close enough to do Wet-on-Wet technique. Is this true? Unlike the Bob Ross ones, they are actually available from shops in Melbourne. AFAIK the only way to get the Bob Ross ones in AU is online. Are there more than one Windsor paint type, or any paints types that would be recommend for Wet on Wet?

I need to get more paint out of the tubes next time.

No one seems to sell plastic palettes (just wood and one I was sold by art shop lady that's white), and none are as big as Bob uses. I had to keep cleaning the one I got and making new space for colours. I need a bigger palette to mix on. Can I use the other types of palette or can you mix on wood or whatever? I got the impression trying to mix on wood would be harder than acrylic.

I choose to buy a cheaper easel and my god I regretted it. It fell down 3 times (the green blotch up top is because of it) and the size is all wrong for the size of canvas I was using - there's no way to lock the canvas into the easel which is bad when trying to push the paint in with a palette knife. You're supposed to hold it down with sand bags I guess. I need a better easel. Whelp.

I did use a cheap canvas for my first few attempts, so that's a given. And I did want to keep my first painting rather than going over it again - I want to compare before and afterwards for next time.

Setting up and closing down and cleaning up took as long as the painting did.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 5, 2024

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I would be careful beating the devil out of the brush. I don't think Bob knew how terrible all of those solvents are for you and probably breathed a poo poo ton of it. Your multiple bush idea is much better than aerosolizing the gently caress out of paint thinner.

Also that is great for a first try - I have never done wet on wet but I think it is way harder than he makes it look!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I specifically rarely work wet on wet because its so easy to make it look like mud.

also yeah beating the solvent brush is uhhh not great. Also a mess. I just wipe as much color off my brushes as I can between color changes with a blue automotive towel and try to make the most of those.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

silicone thrills posted:

I specifically rarely work wet on wet because its so easy to make it look like mud.

also yeah beating the solvent brush is uhhh not great. Also a mess. I just wipe as much color off my brushes as I can between color changes with a blue automotive towel and try to make the most of those.

same plus i use a coil jar w some mineral spirits to get the last of the paint out of the brushes when im done

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

PokeJoe posted:

same plus i use a coil jar w some mineral spirits to get the last of the paint out of the brushes when im done

I got taught the no thinner method in college of use vegetable oil to pull away the last of the color (then wipe it again) and then wash it with some dawn in the sink. it will make your brushes last longer. Plus not having to gently caress with thinner as much. I do still use thinner on my bottom paint layer though for the whole lean to fat principle

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 7, 2024

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hmm I'll give that a try, I'm just a self taught painter. I use the thinner for woodworking too and I have a chem degree so solvents don't really bother conceptually me but the safety concerns are real.

Mineral oil would probably work as a version that won't go rancid 🤔

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yeah there's no exact right way to do the thing other than get the paint out of the brush. But in general try to keep the toxins contained as much as you can.

Speaking of - finished a few paintings. neither of these are varnished yet.

18x24 oil The Tulip Girls

I messed up the bench a little bit so its a tiny bit wonky so im actually repainting this on a 12x12 so i can focus in a bit better and try some other techniques but I really loved the photo I took so im gonna probably paint a few things off it.

9x12 oil Carkeek Crow

I just like crows as per usual.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Wtf those are great

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Comstar posted:

Hello art forum. I have never had a reason to post here before.

Is there a specific thread for watching Bob Ross's The Joy of Painting and finally taking the plunge or is this the right one?

That looks great! Especially for just starting out, I started oil painting this past summer myself.

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah there's no exact right way to do the thing other than get the paint out of the brush. But in general try to keep the toxins contained as much as you can.

Speaking of - finished a few paintings. neither of these are varnished yet.

18x24 oil The Tulip Girls

I messed up the bench a little bit so its a tiny bit wonky so im actually repainting this on a 12x12 so i can focus in a bit better and try some other techniques but I really loved the photo I took so im gonna probably paint a few things off it.

9x12 oil Carkeek Crow

I just like crows as per usual.

Both look great, but really love the light and color in The Tulip Girls.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

silicone thrills posted:

You are making improvements in leaps and bounds! Im super impressed. Those leaves are so nice. and the space between the lemons

I wanted to make this a 3 color block with a blue background but i just couldnt get the ink to do what i wanted so i said gently caress it and just did a 2 color. My holiday cards for this year
linocut on totally the wrong paper - watercolor paper - with speedball ink which was probably the worst purchase ive ever made and ill never recover from the abuse and effort it took to keep it the right viscosity.

This linocut is deeply impressive, and it's an incredible idea for a holiday card. Well done!

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

silicone thrills posted:

I got taught the no thinner method in college of use vegetable oil to pull away the last of the color (then wipe it again) and then wash it with some dawn in the sink. it will make your brushes last longer. Plus not having to gently caress with thinner as much. I do still use thinner on my bottom paint layer though for the whole lean to fat principle

Are you the type of art student who invests in expensive brushes and takes care of them, or the type who buys cheap brushes so they don't have to?

Right now I mostly use jersey rags and paper towels for the things I'm painting, but I have a ton of old brushes with dried-on paint (from stoner days of not cleaning them). I'm not sure how worth it it would be to spend hours cleaning them.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

databasic posted:

Are you the type of art student who invests in expensive brushes and takes care of them, or the type who buys cheap brushes so they don't have to?

Right now I mostly use jersey rags and paper towels for the things I'm painting, but I have a ton of old brushes with dried-on paint (from stoner days of not cleaning them). I'm not sure how worth it it would be to spend hours cleaning them.

I buy like mid tier princeton umbrias and such. And the no thinner method is like 5 minutes more than washing them out with thinner tbh. So my post painting clean up is like 10 minutes total of scraping my excess paint off the palette, rubbing paint off the bristles, smush into vegetable oil a bunch for a minute or two, rub that off the brushes, then the quick wash.

You might be able to just let the hosed up brushes sit in thinner over night then try some of like the masters cleaning paste sorta stuff after that. ive had that bring brushes back to life with not a ton of effort.

databasic posted:

This linocut is deeply impressive, and it's an incredible idea for a holiday card. Well done!

:3 thank you

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 9, 2024

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

silicone thrills posted:

I buy like mid tier princeton umbrias and such. And the no thinner method is like 5 minutes more than washing them out with thinner tbh. So my post painting clean up is like 10 minutes total of scraping my excess paint off the palette, rubbing paint off the bristles, smush into vegetable oil a bunch for a minute or two, rub that off the brushes, then the quick wash.

You might be able to just let the hosed up brushes sit in thinner over night then try some of like the masters cleaning paste sorta stuff after that. ive had that bring brushes back to life with not a ton of effort.

:3 thank you

Thank you for the tips! I only paint with acrylics, watercolors, and gouache because I'm a beginner and the hazmat quality of oils terrifies me, so I don't even own any thinner. I have some pink soap that said it was good for brushes, so maybe I'll let some of my brushes soak overnight in that once I find it.

Also, do you record any videos of your linocuts? There is a great deal of dimension to that card that I can't stop looking at. At first impression, I saw layers of dimension to the fir branches, birds, and backgrounds. After looking for a while, it looks like you managed to accomplish ALL of that with just two shades of ink?? And some carving?? I have not paid attention to lino block printing since I was like 8 years old in a local community arts class, but I would love to watch you work. Also, how long did it take you? Did you work from a photo reference? How much did it cost? Would you post a photo of the block itself? I don't currently have the supplies and I'm trying not to spend too much on new items, but between this linoleum cut and the one above with a sun and mountains (I have not checked whether you are the same artist but I audibly gasped at both prints), I am just overwhelmed with the need to create.

Do you sell the things you make? How do you price something like a block print? Is there a specific (affordable) kit you would advise to play around with a few prints?

Pardon my enthusiasm. I don't talk to other people, much less artists, very often. I am very interested in peoples' processes.

databasic fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 9, 2024

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I tend to go relatively heavy on the thinner/medium, At the least I want the painting to be a little sticky the whole time I'm working on it even if it does not always pan out that way. I haven't been able to in a while, but treating a piece of wood with some thinner/spirits and some paint gives me great results. The paint kinda glides.

And what's everyone's favorite stuff for this? I like the holbein mediums and oils the best I think, I like linseed or safflower oil but in a pinch I'll use sunflower oil from the grocery store. I doubt this last part is doing my paintings any favors tho.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

databasic posted:

Thank you for the tips! I only paint with acrylics, watercolors, and gouache because I'm a beginner and the hazmat quality of oils terrifies me, so I don't even own any thinner. I have some pink soap that said it was good for brushes, so maybe I'll let some of my brushes soak overnight in that once I find it.

Also, do you record any videos of your linocuts? There is a great deal of dimension to that card that I can't stop looking at. At first impression, I saw layers of dimension to the fir branches, birds, and backgrounds. After looking for a while, it looks like you managed to accomplish ALL of that with just two shades of ink?? And some carving?? I have not paid attention to lino block printing since I was like 8 years old in a local community arts class, but I would love to watch you work. Also, how long did it take you? Did you work from a photo reference? How much did it cost? Would you post a photo of the block itself? I don't currently have the supplies and I'm trying not to spend too much on new items, but between this linoleum cut and the one above with a sun and mountains (I have not checked whether you are the same artist but I audibly gasped at both prints), I am just overwhelmed with the need to create.

Do you sell the things you make? How do you price something like a block print? Is there a specific (affordable) kit you would advise to play around with a few prints?

Pardon my enthusiasm. I don't talk to other people, much less artists, very often. I am very interested in peoples' processes.

So in my profile info is a link to my etsy shop which then also has links back out to my socials. I've posted some various pictures and videos over the years of my linocutting process although I dont have any up for sale right now. This was my first time doing linocuts for my holiday cards and they were a huge hit which made me think that maybe i should plan to do some for next year. That block probably took 4-5 hours of cutting. I tend to work in about 30 minute chunks so I dont totally wreck my hands. The image was from a photo reference that I took up in the mountains a few years back. Cost wise? all in probably 100$ but that includes buying the ink and everything and that ink can be used in other projects.

This was layer one - the light grey (it was platinum sparkle so irl it got some really nice sheen)

and this was the black layer

It was a single block so i after I printed the light grey i carved away anything I didnt want to be light grey to leave the black.

None of these were for sale. They just went out to close friends and family. From like august to december I was dealing with a pretty serious illness and just couldn't produce art the way i really wanted to so I just made about 25 of these. In the future though when pricing prints is kind of about how much work went into it. If I were selling a single color print about that size i'd probably sell it for about 5 each. If I was doing 2 color it would go up. It really depends. Im considering that if I made holiday cards again next year maybe doing some 4 for 20$ sort of thing.

Kit wise - the speedball brand kits are honestly generally fine if you arent trying to get too detailed and you use smooth paper. Cleanup is pretty easy because they use water soluable inks.

FunkyAl posted:

I tend to go relatively heavy on the thinner/medium, At the least I want the painting to be a little sticky the whole time I'm working on it even if it does not always pan out that way. I haven't been able to in a while, but treating a piece of wood with some thinner/spirits and some paint gives me great results. The paint kinda glides.

And what's everyone's favorite stuff for this? I like the holbein mediums and oils the best I think, I like linseed or safflower oil but in a pinch I'll use sunflower oil from the grocery store. I doubt this last part is doing my paintings any favors tho.

Windsor Newton makes a drying linseed oil that I absolutely love. I've tried all the gamvar neoglips and stuff and they're interesting but usually too sticky. I used to use liquin impasto but i fell out of love with it a few years back - the smell and it did weird things where varnish wouldnt adhere to it. Ive experimented a few times with walnut oil but the dry time is insanely long but I really did like how smooth paint got with it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I like liquin :shobon:

Makes the paint so nice and buttery and it dries in a day or two

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

PokeJoe posted:

I like liquin :shobon:

Makes the paint so nice and buttery and it dries in a day or two

Oh liquin was my mainstay for many many years. there's nothing really wrong with it. some times you just experiment with something new and like it

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

For those of you painting with layers, how long do you wait between sessions, and what medium(s) are you using? I just did a yellow mixed with gamsol for an underpainting of a landscape I'm about to start.

So far my painting teacher has just had me do pure oil paint directly on the canvas, with some minimal painting a week or more after most of it has dried.

Also looking at works by the "old masters" many of them paint in a way that minimizes the appearance of brush strokes, and I'm curious what methods they used while painting. I'm assuming it's definitely a medium of some kind being mixed with the paint? Painting with just pure oil paint seems impossible to hide brush strokes. The way I've mostly been painting seems like it would lend itself better to techniques that hide brushstrokes.

However this landscape I'm about to start I'm actually planning on painting more "loose" and "expressive".

edit: and one thing that annoys me about using pure oil paint is when I'm close to my paintings I can see tiny spots of the white canvas underneath because the paint is too thick to get into every nook and crevice of the canvas.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
Assistance requested. The nebula/galaxy motif is something I've been slapping on any surface I can find (including a basement wall). All of them have layers of speckled stars in both white and glow-in-the-dark acrylic.

There is also a set of cornhole boards I bought for my wedding (now divorced, it felt like painting over them would give them a fresh breath of life). I'm torn on how to paint the sides, though. You can see where I continued the pattern on one of them, and where the other hasn't even been fully primed. Should I continue the pattern on all sides, or should I paint the sides a very dark Prussian blue or chalkboard black? I could also do a metallic gold, but it feels wrong for something this large (as opposed to a serving tray. also that's what she said). If I paint the sides solid, should I add stars or a design? Should I go for a high gloss or a matte finish?

https://imgur.com/a/EetT0kQ

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Is this the place to post oil's? I am deep in the ugly stage of a painting and straining to see my way to finishing it, I was probably a bit to ambitious with this one. I just want to make something good and improve.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it looks good to me op you just need to keep going. let it dry and do another layer and be amazed at your progress

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I always go through a phase where I hate my stuff and don't think it will ever make it. And sometimes it doesn't - which sucks but is part of art I guess.

That airplane is good so far - please post here. It will go thru a lot of stages and if you want critique goons are pretty gentle

databasic posted:

Assistance requested. The nebula/galaxy motif is something I've been slapping on any surface I can find (including a basement wall). All of them have layers of speckled stars in both white and glow-in-the-dark acrylic.

There is also a set of cornhole boards I bought for my wedding (now divorced, it felt like painting over them would give them a fresh breath of life). I'm torn on how to paint the sides, though. You can see where I continued the pattern on one of them, and where the other hasn't even been fully primed. Should I continue the pattern on all sides, or should I paint the sides a very dark Prussian blue or chalkboard black? I could also do a metallic gold, but it feels wrong for something this large (as opposed to a serving tray. also that's what she said). If I paint the sides solid, should I add stars or a design? Should I go for a high gloss or a matte finish?

https://imgur.com/a/EetT0kQ

this is a very cool concept, love what you are doing with it. Did you decide on a direction for the sides of the cornhole boards? I would have gone with dark blue/black out of sheer laziness

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

haven't used soft pastel in a very long time. It was more chalky than I remember.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

HungryMedusa posted:

this is a very cool concept, love what you are doing with it. Did you decide on a direction for the sides of the cornhole boards? I would have gone with dark blue/black out of sheer laziness

Thank you! I think I’m going to use the dark blue or chalkboard black, but I haven’t started yet. I’m not sure whether I’ll add stars to the sides, either.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

TheMostFrench posted:

haven't used soft pastel in a very long time. It was more chalky than I remember.

This is lovely! What kinds of pastels did you use? How long did it take? Did you use regular paper or pastel paper?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Don't really like how this one turned out but it's my first ever portrait. Reference painting had lots of shadows and it was tough to emulate.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Pretty drat good for a first portrait!

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

Mustang posted:

Don't really like how this one turned out but it's my first ever portrait. Reference painting had lots of shadows and it was tough to emulate.

Agreed! It's very good for a first portrait! (I am so afraid of portraits, so this is awesome to me.)

It does look like harsh lighting, but overall, it seems like you captured the forms and levels of the face really well in a slightly abstract way. Not sure whether you're looking for feedback/what kind you're looking for, but the hair is a little structurally confusing to me. Do you have a pic of the source?

Out of curiosity, did you use acrylics or oils?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

You'll learn to embrace heavy shadows and harsh lighting because they allow you to skip So Much when painting really help break down the shape of the head so you can a good grip of the anatomy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Mustang posted:

I'm doing my first portrait right now as well and art isn't a race but if it was I'd be having a seizure at the starting line watching you disappear over the horizon.