Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

Of course you'll be conflicted on some level. Holding your nose while you vote is a sign that you understand that politics, just like people, is deeply flawed even if there is a better and a worse option. In fact, if you're yanking a lever with nothing but a big smile you're probably a demagogue.

A bumper sticker from the 1991 Louisiana Gubernatorial election where Edwin Edwards was running against David Duke. At this point, it was very public knowledge that Edwards was corrupt as hell, but he wasn't a klansman and a nazi. There was a lot of nose holding that election day.

Edwards won, by the way, and it wasn't even close. However, Duke pretty handily beat an incumbent Republican governor, which says all there was needed to know about Republican voters in the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’m 100% with Mustang on all of this. The leadership of the Democratic Party is embarrassing and narcissistic and the best thing that could be said for them is at least they aren’t pure evil like their GOP counterparts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mustang posted:

To give me a reason to vote for them that isn't "I'm not Trump and we aren't Republicans".

Hear a lot about how Trump and his cult is a threat to American democracy, but not about what Democrats stand for and how they can make America a better place to live.

And messaging is important, something that Democrats are loving awful at. Great at appealing to upper middle class folks with graduate degrees that read policy for fun, but not much else.

Joe’s campaign website literally does not have a single page on policy.

People have pointed to the White House priorities page, which is the third link I get on Google looking for Biden campaign policy, and it’s awful in its own way.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That's lousy, but on the other hand how many people who aren't decided voters in TYOOL 2024 would actually give a drat about the policies listed on Biden's website?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Draft John Kerry

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
just fyi, the election will not be fought on policy, we're long past that as a country

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1754670556744413235

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1754671014703710248

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Mustang posted:

To give me a reason to vote for them that isn't "I'm not Trump and we aren't Republicans".

Hear a lot about how Trump and his cult is a threat to American democracy, but not about what Democrats stand for and how they can make America a better place to live.

And messaging is important, something that Democrats are loving awful at. Great at appealing to upper middle class folks with graduate degrees that read policy for fun, but not much else.

The most conservative news I read is the Washington Post and the New York Times.

I vote in every election, whether the general, midterm or special elections. I'm 99.9% likely to pull the trigger for Biden in November. But I'm not going to like it.

biden accomplishments
- deployed covid vaccine
- withdrew from afghanistan
- trillion dollar green infrastructure bill
- student debt relief
- stopped russia from conquering ukraine
- prosecutions of jan 6ers

trump accomplishments
- tax cuts
- trade war
- migrant family separations
- dobbs

if you genuinely think one of these is no better than the other, you need to log off, dude.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's lousy, but on the other hand how many people who aren't decided voters in TYOOL 2024 would actually give a drat about the policies listed on Biden's website?

It's exactly this. I read politics poo poo every day and I'm never going to read any candidates website. It's just vague boilerplate nonsense that may as well come from Chat GPT.

I'm obviously aware that the Democrats no longer control the House and so legislatively there is little they can directly do without some sort of compromise.

But Joe Biden is the President of the United States. He should be using the bully pulpit to relentlessly dog Republicans for the monsters that they are.

It infuriates me that there has been so little pushback against red states trying to remove gay and trans people from public life, or enacting policies that will almost assuredly cost some people their lives.

Will some mean words about Republicans magically make life better for these people in red states? No. But it's better than just shrugging and setting the precedent that Republicans can target marginalized groups in their states with impunity.

And that's ignoring the fact that the entire Republican party is guilty for January 6th, let alone the monstrous way they're harming their own citizens. This isn't a group of people deserving of either decency or decorum.

If they really want us to think that this is an election that's going to decide the future of our country than they should loving act like it.

edit:

hypnophant posted:

if you genuinely think one of these is no better than the other, you need to log off, dude.

I didn't say anything like this, literally said they're not the same in the post you quoted.

Criticizing the Democrats isn't saying they're just as bad as Republicans. It's saying they need to do better.

Pretty sad that the only prominent Democrat willing to push back on Republican narratives on the culture wars is Gavin Newsom.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 6, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hypnophant posted:

there is a difference between "reasons to vote against trump" and "reasons to vote for biden"; they are not the same

the complaint is that there are very few compelling reasons to vote for biden beyond "he's not trump". nobody is saying they're the same, they're saying one candidate sucks complete rear end while the other one feels like a do-nothing guy who will keep the status quo at best rather than improve things

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
you have been incredibly loyal to me for many years and I truly appreciate it

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1754673804243050596

now get the gently caress out, romney

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Zamujasa posted:

there is a difference between "reasons to vote against trump" and "reasons to vote for biden"; they are not the same

the complaint is that there are very few compelling reasons to vote for biden beyond "he's not trump". nobody is saying they're the same, they're saying one candidate sucks complete rear end while the other one feels like a do-nothing guy who will keep the status quo at best rather than improve things

once taylor swift endorses biden then all the youth voters who are disillusioned with him and concerned about things like "i can't afford rent" (economy is doing great, what are they talking about?) will be on board and everything will be fine

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This really more of an indictment of our political system than an endorsement-

That read as an endorsement? Yikes

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

The Eyes Have It posted:

Of course you'll be conflicted on some level. Holding your nose while you vote is a sign that you understand that politics, just like people, is deeply flawed even if there is a better and a worse option. In fact, if you're yanking a lever with nothing but a big smile you're probably a demagogue.

Maybe we're tired of being told to hold our nose while we vote, because I've been doing it my entire life and things have only ever gotten worse. Every election cycle the republicans get even more unhingedly fascist, and the democrats only response is tepid "At least we aren't them- now vote for us while we do fascism lite."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

House GOP is apparently going to hold a vote on standalone funding for Israel and I have absolutely no idea how that vote count is going to go. There aren't really moral solutions for any of this stuff, so I'll look for the comedy:

https://twitter.com/acnewsitics/status/1754521692771405909?t=Le5fKoRxtjjepbW-t7xH4g&s=19

I tried to decipher what they were saying but couldn't hear anything past the WOOOOOOWooooowuuuuuuu of the megaphone.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

maffew buildings posted:

once taylor swift endorses biden then all the youth voters who are disillusioned with him and concerned about things like "i can't afford rent" (economy is doing great, what are they talking about?) will be on board and everything will be fine

Won't be TSwift, it'll probably be weed.

I was surprised to find that review on the we did stuff, we swear guys list. Which granted, is a more concrete list than what I usually see from presidents running for reelection, I don't remember Obama having much.

That said, it's probably more Gaza-Israel poo poo nuking the youth vote at the moment. And that one's a real public opinion fucker - Biden threatened a veto on the standalone Israel funding and already has the Speaker calling him a traitor to Israel. Which granted, Donnie said back in 2020 I believe :v:

CBJSprague24 posted:

I tried to decipher what they were saying but couldn't hear anything past the WOOOOOOWooooowuuuuuuu of the megaphone.

They were calling each other pedos before in other clips from other days, it's going perfectly normal over there.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm kinda glad I can so easily dodge the political question at work now by asserting I'm voting for the really old guy that probably shits his pants and letting the listener decide what they want that to mean, really cuts down on friction in the office

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Being pro-weed as a politician is straight up free votes. From what I've experienced in CO and other states that legalized it when I lived there, they'll fight the federal government to the death and secede before giving up those sweet tax dollars to follow federal law. I wonder if being anti-prohibition in the 1920s and 30s as a politician was similar.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 6, 2024

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

the complaint was that dems in general and Biden specifically had not articulated a positive vision for the country, which like, I get it’s coming from a place of great frustration and disappointment with the pace of change, which I share, but it’s still a childish outburst. Biden has, leaving absolutely everything else aside, gotten a 10-figure climate bill passed. It doesn’t have everything we need in it but it’s still a step back from the abyss and it is a massive bill in its own right which is already creating good-paying honest jobs. If he “feels” like a do-nothing guy to you then i question what your expectations were and what you think is are the impactful and achievable political priorities he is neglecting

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

facialimpediment posted:

That said, it's probably more Gaza-Israel poo poo nuking the youth vote at the moment. And that one's a real public opinion fucker - Biden threatened a veto on the standalone Israel funding and already has the Speaker calling him a traitor to Israel. Which granted, Donnie said back in 2020 I believe :v:

dawg there's a litany of articles, polls and studies from news sites, think tanks and college institutes like the fuckin' Tufts college of political good times about younger voters caring about the economy, climate change, affordable housing and gun control over the last two to three months. if it's Gaza nuking the youth engagement then everyone forgot to cover it

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

hypnophant posted:

If he “feels” like a do-nothing guy to you then i question what your expectations were and what you think is are the impactful and achievable political priorities he is neglecting

Remind me again who the Postmaster General is.

Edit: Actually, gonna avoid the whole call and response part of the bit and just say flat out that removal of the Postmaster General requires the approval of the Postal Board of Governors and Biden has appointed five out of nine of them, yet DeJoy remains.

McNally fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 6, 2024

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://x.com/APHClarkson/status/1754502196652122335?s=20

Pivot to Mexico is going to be fun to watch.

(From a continent away.)

((That's also going to abase itself to Russia.))

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
*digging through the archives for the "invade Mexico" o-plan*

Okay, here we go. It says we'll need ten cavalry regiments, a good supply of repeating rifles, and enough hardtack to last for at least 30 days.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Haven't made a big political post in a while, let's waste some time together.

I mentioned it briefly earlier, but part of the problem the dems have is that their coalition is so big and so broad that as tired as it may be, "he's not Trump" is still their strongest and most unifying message. And this isn't a knock on the administration — I'll get into it later, but I think the administration does have plenty of accomplishments that are well worth celebrating and supporting. But the challenge faced by the Biden campaign is that their support is ludicriously broad: to win reelection, Biden is going to have to appeal to:

-Latinos in Las Vegas
-Native Americans in Arizona
-Union autoworkers in suburban Detroit
-White collar suburbanites in Milwaukee and Atlanta
-African-Americans in Philadelphia

And many, many more, in all combinations of voters and places, all with different priorities and different grievances, many of which are contradictory. Biden's support of Israel is a perfect example of this — we're all pretty unified on this forum of being horrified by Israel's actions and disgusted by the continuing US material support of their campaign in Gaza, but there are plenty of Democratic voters who are equally disgusted that Biden hasn't personally pledged to hunt down Hamas to the last man. Biden's support is, paradoxically, as wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle — the consequence of the Republicans casting off anyone who doesn't love making the rich richer and America whiter. As a result, there really is no one phrase or policy that can unify and inspire everyone in Biden's coalition, except by defining him against what he's not: Trump.

I'm sure Biden's team will try, of course — many of them worked for Obama, they know the power of a positive message in a dark time. But they're also up against the problem that the bully pulpit isn't what it once was. This isn't the 1980s, when everyone watched the same 3 nightly news broadcasts or that newfangled CNN. This isn't even 2008, when Facebook and Twitter were new but cable still ruled the roost. American attention is sharply divided, and the vast majority of people get their news from, at best, snippets of broadcast clips filtered through the algorithm, or at worst highly distorted posts in niche internet forums from weirdo obsessives who were stupid enough to get a degree in political science. Hell, when is the last time you watched a full news broadcast? Or combed through a major newspaper, or even a major news website? Our society communicates via clips, and unless something goes viral it is hard for it to reach people. And making it even harder is that the media loving loves talking about Trump, and ignoring whatever Biden wants to focus on — so, for better or worse, the simplest, easiest, and most effective message is still "At least I'm not that rear end in a top hat."

But! As I said before, I think there are plenty of reasons why the administration deserves another four years on the own merits, even without the threat of fascism enveloping us all into a dark pit of despair. So let's set the orange man aside, and talk about accomplishments.

The first, most low-key, and least sexy thing I'm gonna argue for is sheer, basic competence. Now obviously this is a pretty low bar! But it really is an important fact that Biden has, for the most part, staffed his administration with competent and dedicated individuals, with relatively low turnover and little drama. The government is a huge, sprawling organism that touches all our lives in different ways, with tremendous capacity for both good and bad — and when it breaks down, the consequences can be catastrophic for those who rely on it. So the government simply working is a huge boon to many, and has to be acknowledged.

But obviously, that's the bare minimum we should expect from any administration. So let's go into concrete accomplishments.

First: While the efforts to outright cancel student debt was struck down by the courts, Biden's administration has still managed to cancel $137 billion in debt from nearly 4 million borrowers, which is equivalent to $34K per debtor. A large part of this was the result of the administration fixing the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program, which (as many in this thread remember) was intentionally hosed over by the previous administration, who had made it nearly impossible for those who qualified for the program to get forgiveness. And not only does the PSLF program work now, but the SAVE income-based repayment plan has also addressed what the effort to cancel debt didn't — a long-term (if partial) solution for student borrowers to have their debt forgiven, as opposed to the one-time forgiveness that only benefited past borrowers.

When it comes to the climate, two things are clearly true: The administration desperately needs to do more to fight what is obviously the greatest threat to our lives and the world. And yet, the administration has done a tremendous amount to address the climate, and in some cases has actually gone beyond what many activists dared hope for. I mean, hell, while researching for this post, I found out just last week the administration put a pause on certain LNG exports, specifically citing the effect on the climate. From the EPA to the post office, rules and policies are being put in place to reduce emissions and address climate change and other environmental issues, and keeping the administration in place for another four years is going to be absolutely crucial in solidifying these rules and policies and putting them into practice. And that's not even getting into the IRA and its huge climate investment, including the potentially massive investment into clean hydrogen.

You know what, this post was going to be even longer but it's almost 8pm and I really want to get back to playing Last Train Home, so I'm going to cut this short and say this: There is no shortage of positive things the Biden administration has done. They passed incredibly good legislation with an absolute razor-thin margin in both houses. They've appointed a huge number of judges, the majority of whom are women or ethnic minorities. They've worked with native tribes to address historic wrongs, led the international effort to keep Ukraine a free and independent country, and guided the economy through a period of high inflation to a soft landing without a recession, which many economists thought was impossible. They might not have a lot of great slogans, Joe might be old as dirt, and there's certainly plenty you can criticize them for. But at the end of the day, I don't regret my vote, and I'll be happy to volunteer and vote again this November.

And you know what, I take it back: there is one slogan that perfectly encapsulates the Biden administration in relation to this discussion, other than "He's not Trump":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCqF_NtpOQ

(not to say Biden has done everything right, obviously, but for a lot of stuff...)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

Remind me again who the Postmaster General is.

Edit: Actually, gonna avoid the whole call and response part of the bit and just say flat out that removal of the Postmaster General requires the approval of the Postal Board of Governors and Biden has appointed five out of nine of them, yet DeJoy remains.

yeah it turned out that DeJoy is still an rear end in a top hat but he was willing to work with the administration on a bunch of stuff, including vastly increasing USPS's fleet of electric vehicles.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You know what, this post was going to be even longer but it's almost 8pm and I really want to get back to playing Last Train Home

hell yeah, late aughts chinese documentaries!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Haven't made a big political post in a while, let's waste some time together.

I mentioned it briefly earlier, but part of the problem the dems have is that their coalition is so big and so broad that as tired as it may be, "he's not Trump" is still their strongest and most unifying message. And this isn't a knock on the administration — I'll get into it later, but I think the administration does have plenty of accomplishments that are well worth celebrating and supporting. But the challenge faced by the Biden campaign is that their support is ludicriously broad: to win reelection, Biden is going to have to appeal to:

-Latinos in Las Vegas
-Native Americans in Arizona
-Union autoworkers in suburban Detroit
-White collar suburbanites in Milwaukee and Atlanta
-African-Americans in Philadelphia

And many, many more, in all combinations of voters and places, all with different priorities and different grievances, many of which are contradictory. Biden's support of Israel is a perfect example of this — we're all pretty unified on this forum of being horrified by Israel's actions and disgusted by the continuing US material support of their campaign in Gaza, but there are plenty of Democratic voters who are equally disgusted that Biden hasn't personally pledged to hunt down Hamas to the last man. Biden's support is, paradoxically, as wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle — the consequence of the Republicans casting off anyone who doesn't love making the rich richer and America whiter. As a result, there really is no one phrase or policy that can unify and inspire everyone in Biden's coalition, except by defining him against what he's not: Trump.

I'm sure Biden's team will try, of course — many of them worked for Obama, they know the power of a positive message in a dark time.

I stopped here because if there was ever a group of people completely not up to the task of dealing with impolite Republicans let alone what they are today it is Obama era Democrats. Their incompetent messaging and spineless policies handed the country to Trump once and they'll gladly do it again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I stopped here because if there was ever a group of people completely not up to the task of dealing with impolite Republicans let alone what they are today it is Obama era Democrats. Their incompetent messaging and spineless policies handed the country to Trump once and they'll gladly do it again.

buddy say what you will about Obama and the people who worked in that administration but he was objectively pretty drat good at inspiring people. Half the reason why people in these forums are so bitter about politics is because he inspired them and then failed to live up to his own hype!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Acebuckeye13 posted:

buddy say what you will about Obama and the people who worked in that administration but he was objectively pretty drat good at inspiring people. Half the reason why people in these forums are so bitter about politics is because he inspired them and then failed to live up to his own hype!

didnt a bunch of those people go on to work on the hillary campaign

being inspiring when you have obama on hand is easy mode

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

didnt a bunch of those people go on to work on the hillary campaign

being inspiring when you have obama on hand is easy mode

several of them went into the most noble of professions, podcasting

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Acebuckeye13 posted:

several of them went into the most noble of professions, podcasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9-Ln_NX28

edit welp

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The gulf between candidate Obama's "vibes" and President Obama's actions didn't much help.

Bank bailouts and drone strikes didn't come up much beforehand.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://x.com/APHClarkson/status/1754502196652122335?s=20

Pivot to Mexico is going to be fun to watch.

(From a continent away.)

((That's also going to abase itself to Russia.))

I hope Afghanistan can send them military advisors.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the people who complain most about messaging always seem to be the people who immediately tune out of any message that doesn't coddle their broken worldview

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

*digging through the archives for the "invade Mexico" o-plan*

Okay, here we go. It says we'll need ten cavalry regiments, a good supply of repeating rifles, and enough hardtack to last for at least 30 days.

Redeploying from the shores of Tripoli to the halls of Montezuma is going to be brutal

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Redeploying from the shores of Tripoli to the halls of Montezuma is going to be brutal

He’ll get his revenge. He always does :gonk:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Apparently Toby Keith kicked the bucket. Oh no. Anyway.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bird food bathtub posted:

Apparently Toby Keith kicked the bucket. Oh no. Anyway.

I got to deal with him once. #ripbozo

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A bit odd that this took so long, but a clear 3-0 per curiam decision that Donnie ain't immune to poo poo. Opinion pending and we'll see what goofy poo poo the HW Bush judge got up to.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1754884046633513036?t=fv0YTKTti4ioIzO30GUZKQ&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 6, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

hypnophant posted:

the people who complain most about messaging always seem to be the people who immediately tune out of any message that doesn't coddle their broken worldview

Good messaging shapes an worldview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

A bit odd that this took so long, but a clear 3-0 per curiam decision that Donnie ain't immune to poo poo. Opinion pending and we'll see what goofy poo poo the HW Bush judge got up to.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1754884046633513036?t=fv0YTKTti4ioIzO30GUZKQ&s=19

To make up for lost time, the appeals court is expediting it back to the trial court per CNN unless the Supreme Court wants to get involved. Trump's lawyers also don't like their chances if it's elevated.