Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Did your older kid really wipe herself at 3? I’m getting the impression from other parents that we shouldn’t expect a proper wipe to happen until they’re about 5-6. As in, a poop wipe, that is. My 5-year old is still calling for us to do it, so are we behind the curve on this?

Yeah I should be clear it is inconsistentto say the least. She wipes for pee all the time and is about 70-30 for needing help/wiping herself with poop. She actually does it very well when she puts her mind to it, but otherwise will shout for me or mom and then I come in and she is bent over and touching the ground with her rear end in the air waiting for me to help lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Starting potty for the twins today. Pray for us

Our son poo poo all over the living room already. Didn't seem to even notice he was pooping. This is going to be a long frustrating time isn't it?

We only had a couple poop accidents when we did this, but lots of pees. Have them help clean up the messes (maybe not the poops) and that will help.

Honestly worse than the accidents was my little dude constantly playing with his pud

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Is there a recommendation for a toilet seat for potty training? The one we got shifts a fair bit and it freaks the kids out.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Is there a recommendation for a toilet seat for potty training? The one we got shifts a fair bit and it freaks the kids out.

We went with one built into the regular toilet seat and it's been great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B3FEQO6/

cailleask
May 6, 2007

yeah we had that one too and the kids loved it!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rufio posted:

We only had a couple poop accidents when we did this, but lots of pees. Have them help clean up the messes (maybe not the poops) and that will help.

Honestly worse than the accidents was my little dude constantly playing with his pud

hurf durf apple near tree

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Three year old is eating all the edamame I made for dinner

Mo edmama, mo edmama

Leave some for the rest of us, dam

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Rufio posted:

Also summer break has nothing to do with working kids on the farm lmao. Field work is done in spring and fall for planting and harvest times.

Tell me about it! My mom’s generation still had a week off school in fall to harvest potatoes.

BTW said mom recommends getting a teaching job in order to enjoy summer vacations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The nice thing is that although daycare only goes up until kindergarten they have summer school for alumni kids only that goes up until 10 years old which I am really here for

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

We should all have summer breaks, not just kids, and I’m not even trying to be funny here. I’m too lazy to dig out that “a medieval peasant had way more days off that you, a modern-day serf” link, so let’s just pretend I did.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

gbut posted:

We should all have summer breaks, not just kids, and I’m not even trying to be funny here. I’m too lazy to dig out that “a medieval peasant had way more days off that you, a modern-day serf” link, so let’s just pretend I did.

I mean ideally yes but

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Introduced my 1yo to cheese pizza today. Big night.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter is on like a two-minute incremental timer for demanding actions from me. Every so often I see her starting a process and I'm like ah, this will engage her mind for a bit oh you need something hot glued already huh

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My kid threw a big tantrum at 7AM because I asked him to use the potty before watching TV. So I took all TV away today. Highlight of the tantrum was stripping his diaper and pants off and shouting at me, then getting furious when I put his wet diaper in the diaper pail. He tried to fish it back out. Remaining 20 minutes of the tantrum was a Mexican standoff with a 3 year old just full on Donald Ducking, still refusing to potty.

Now there’s a tornado warning so we can’t go outside or do anything. I see I have owned myself.

Also my wife is sick and can’t help so it’s up to me to keep him entertained/alive.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I picked up covid (for the time!) last week and we’re having a bad time. Or, mostly, my wife is, and she hasn’t even gotten sick.

I’ve had a real minor case, symptoms Sunday but tested positive Monday, and I’ve been isolating in our guest room, leaving my wife to be solo with our 2.5 year old.

And since we didn’t know at first if they got it from me before I started isolating, we missed out on a couple days of childcare from grandparents (who usually do 4 days/week, split between two sets) - they can’t take any risks with getting it. So my wife’s had to watch the kid while also trying to get a little work done two days this week (we both wfh full time).

She’s really at her wit’s end, and I don’t blame her, essentially a week of solo parenting is longer than either of us have been on the hook for before. I’m starting to come out of isolation (masked, cautious) - I’m watching the kid now while my wife sleeps in. But I feel bad being with my daughter and not being physically close at all, and I’m afraid we’re jumping the gun since I’m still testing positive, though I haven’t had symptoms for a day or two.

I feel like there’s no better system that what we’ve had, and we’ve really had the best case scenario for one of us finally getting covid (mild case, space to isolate, only one of us). What happens when we all get sick? What happens if people can’t watch the kid at all? What would happen if had a second kid and got sick? Is there any better way to handle this that doesn’t result in terrible burnout for the healthy parent after a week???

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

As someone who's whole house was wrecked with norovirus and a flu at the same time, we mostly took 1-2 hour shifts where the adult feeling worst would take a nap/vomit profusely while the other tried to entertain baby. That included mainly laying on our living room floor with the tv on and handing him various remotes to gnaw at. Food was ready pouches for the baby and mainly juice for the adults. Didn't do anything that wasn't strictly necessary. I took two days of work (dad's on parental leave). It was awful but not much else you can do but try to survive.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Today's excuse to not take a bath:

The water is too wet

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Renegret posted:

Today's excuse to not take a bath:

The water is too wet

As the one who usually dries the floor after our kids bathe, I'm going to have to agree.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oldest has a cold and I'm just assuming her little sister already has it because the runny noses are ridiculous today

We have dodged COVID for the most part. I think they've been positive maybe once or twice in the last year? Both handled it well and we're fine within a few days, and both have gotten their shots so I'm not terribly worried beyond usual parental paranoia.

Unrelated but my 3yo used water color to paint some pictures out of her undersea coloring book, so I've finally got my first artwork hanging in my office and they're masterpieces gdi, so nice to see

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

one of the things we've taught our 11mo to mimic is the head-bob and nostril noises made when sneezing. its incredibly cute to initiate this and watch her respond, and it also comes in handy during the cold season, when it'll also shoot twin jets of snot out her nose.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A friend of a friend over shares on social media enough to make me uncomfortable for the kids. Blasting out an Instagram post is an efficient way to update concerned parties rather than individual texts, but we don’t need to know your full hospital schedule and see pictures of your sick kid’s medical issue.

The social media usage of some of our family members has been brought up when they ask to come visit. We can lay down ground rules but more elderly relatives have terrible impulse control when it comes to documenting everything and anything online.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

We wore novelty pregnancy announcement shirts to my mom’s house to tell her what was up and she snapped a picture of us.

Before we got home she had posted it on Tinybeans, which is limited to friends and family. But we would have preferred to announce that ourselves.

We deleted her post and took away her posting privileges.

The craziest part was when we confronted her “hey don’t post that you dingus” she claimed she did not remember posting it at all. Whatever maybe she was tired/drunk/stupid no big deal.

She then told me she went and got a full neurological work up because of it. She got a clean bill of health. She’s still in her 50’s so this seemed a bit like overkill. I think she did all this (or claimed to) just to avoid admitting she was wrong and shouldn’t have posted it. She did apologize at least.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Recommending my MIL get a full neurological workup because she can't ever seem to remember that toddlers need to eat more than just cookies all the time

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
My 4 year old used a toy stethoscope to listen to my heart. Then she delivered devastating news. Zombie Nation has given me Skin Bodies. There is no cure.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You're laughing, you're laughing.

You blew up and ran around so much you got poop into the oven AND the dog crate somehow, and you're laughing

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Poop in the oven??

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Email and voicemail from the elementary school saying three kids ingested THC gummies this morning. :waycool: New anxiety unlocked.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yikes!

But it was a surprisingly productive day of class overall

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

2DEG posted:

Email and voicemail from the elementary school saying three kids ingested THC gummies this morning. :waycool: New anxiety unlocked.

Hi.

What the gently caress?

Thanks.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

remigious posted:

Poop in the oven??

Jumped up and started to run around in middle of cleaning. Grandma was about to start cooking some bread, opened the oven to put it in. Kiddo's butt slung some chocolate in there while dodging us both 😬

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's some Home Alone, rube-goldberg level poo poo right there, no pun intended

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
From what I gathered at pickup, it was accidental. Not sure how they realized what they'd eaten though, maybe kid brought the whole bag and the nurse recognized it?

Lock up your candy-lookin' drogas dipshits!!!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Good soup! posted:

Unrelated but my 3yo used water color to paint some pictures out of her undersea coloring book, so I've finally got my first artwork hanging in my office and they're masterpieces gdi, so nice to see

Bring up a Bob Ross tutorial on YouTube and watch them attempt to make the paintings. (I recommend doing a quick preview of it and getting the colours needed ready though). The kids' abilities to follow instructions are really good at times.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

unknown posted:

Bring up a Bob Ross tutorial on YouTube and watch them attempt to make the paintings. (I recommend doing a quick preview of it and getting the colours needed ready though). The kids' abilities to follow instructions are really good at times.

awwwwwwwww man I had forgotten about Bob Ross, thanks for the reminder! my friend's kids would sit and try to follow along and it was cute as hell

we have one of those dry erase coloring books and my 3yo loves it, especially because it's a mix of blank pages, some illustrations to color in and add details, and bunch of pre-school activities and such. what rules even more is her tiny baby sister will crawl over, grab a (safely covered) marker, closely watch her older sister's hands move back and forth across the pages, and then does her best to imitate it

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Last month, we brought our 5yo son to the ER. He woke up in the middle of the night with major croup-sounding coughs and breathing hard. He was telling us that he was scared that he couldn't breath enough. We were freaked because he's had a history of breathing issues when sick and had been in the ER for breathing issues as a baby, so my wife brought him to the ER. It ended up being a reaction to the flu he had and got under control with some steroids + breathing treatment. Side note: the doctor there was dismissive to my wife saying that he was surprised she brought our son in. I don't think we've ever encountered an ER / urgent care medical staff that didn't dismiss us as being over-protective.

Finally got the bills today. $2000 across 5 different providers. JFC. We can afford it, but why does the US healthcare system suck so much?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Last month, we brought our 5yo son to the ER. He woke up in the middle of the night with major croup-sounding coughs and breathing hard. He was telling us that he was scared that he couldn't breath enough. We were freaked because he's had a history of breathing issues when sick and had been in the ER for breathing issues as a baby, so my wife brought him to the ER. It ended up being a reaction to the flu he had and got under control with some steroids + breathing treatment. Side note: the doctor there was dismissive to my wife saying that he was surprised she brought our son in. I don't think we've ever encountered an ER / urgent care medical staff that didn't dismiss us as being over-protective.

Finally got the bills today. $2000 across 5 different providers. JFC. We can afford it, but why does the US healthcare system suck so much?

It is such trash. My employer decided that it was a good idea to double the out of pocket for the high deductible plan instead of increasing the premiums. I'd rather incur the small increase than deal with my out of pocket doubling

American insurance is such trash

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone ever had their kid have a "sacral dimple"? My wife is freaking out about it with our newborn. It's just one more stressor on top of our dog dying a few days ago.

Everything I've read is that it the vast majority of cases it's nothing to worry about.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Anyone ever had their kid have a "sacral dimple"? My wife is freaking out about it with our newborn. It's just one more stressor on top of our dog dying a few days ago.

Everything I've read is that it the vast majority of cases it's nothing to worry about.

My goddaughter has one, she's like 9 now and is fine. Her parents tell her that's where her tail used to be.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My son has one, or had one. It diminishes with age. He had a butt crack with just one branch on the Y, because of it. I think it's fine as long as fluids aren't coming from it, like most things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Side note: the doctor there was dismissive to my wife saying that he was surprised she brought our son in. I don't think we've ever encountered an ER / urgent care medical staff that didn't dismiss us as being over-protective.
I don't think it's reasonable for physicians to expect that parents will be able to distinguish the nuances of labored breathing in their kids. Especially if your kiddo has a history of breathing issues, taking them to get a professional evaluation is exactly what you're supposed to do.

That said, it's also possible that your ED visit took place in the middle of their surge with an overworked staff and the doctor was taking some of their frustrations out on you (instead of just being an rear end in a top hat). But my god, there's way worse things in the world than an understanding, if slightly "overcaring" parent.

Anecdote: When my son had RSV at 11 months he went from "should we even go to the ED?" stage to being admitted to the PICU and on bipap within a span of six hours. Infants and even young kids can deteriorate fast, and had the ED sent us home early (which they were wavering on admitting him) I'm sure we would've waited on taking him back. Given that he ended up being hospitalized for nearly a week, that would not have worked out well.