Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol a little snake bitten after this past fall huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

should solve the traffic flow problems in the hotel conference areas at least.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Yeah, and not having to leave the convention to go see some villages.

Personally I'm kinda glad this happened given that the forums was too small to fit everything so it was still all spaced out.

Though, no idea what hotel to stay at.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Yeah, and not having to leave the convention to go see some villages.

Personally I'm kinda glad this happened given that the forums was too small to fit everything so it was still all spaced out.

Though, no idea what hotel to stay at.

yeah this probably blew away everyone's reservations at the caesar's properties. it will be interesting to hear what really happened.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I’m sure they’re mad about the googley eyes everywhere.

anyway Sahara is basically the only real option, or keep the reservation and monorail over

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://www.wired.com/story/christopher-bouzy-spoutible-race-to-unseat-twitter/ posted:

When I had my first extended conversation with Bouzy in early December, Spoutible was just days away from crossing the preregistration threshold. In anticipation of hitting that milestone, he was preparing to announce that he’d have a web-only version of the platform ready for limited testing by mid-January. If all went according to plan, he’d then release a Spoutible app for phones and tablets in the spring. When I said that timeline seemed ambitious, he assured me that the work on the frontend would take only a few weeks. He’d licensed some off-the-shelf code, composed primarily in PHP, that provides a close facsimile of Twitter’s user interface, and he planned to tweak that template to suit his needs.

“Building a platform like Twitter is not difficult,” he assured me. “All it is is a fancy message board—you’re just taking people’s posts and storing them in a database.” The real trick, he continued, would be to design the platform’s backend so that it could seamlessly handle the demands of explosive growth.

[…]

Bouzy’s adversaries reveled in Spoutible’s opening-day struggles, and they tried to pile on even more misery. One frequent critic claimed in a Twitter thread that Bouzy was a charlatan who’d bought Spoutible’s entire source code from a Russian vendor for $89, a purchase some suggested might be in violation of economic sanctions. Bouzy, who vehemently denies that accusation, clapped back by announcing that he planned on contacting his accuser’s employer, a large German bank, to report that he was being stalked.

welp

https://www.troyhunt.com/how-spoutibles-leaky-api-spurted-out-a-deluge-of-personal-data/

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
well it aint called retainable

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

koolkal posted:

well it aint called retainable

:hmmyes:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

aw hell yeah I hope they hack the Tesla tunnels

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://www.troyhunt.com/how-spoutibles-leaky-api-spurted-out-a-deluge-of-personal-data/
just read it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

eyyy I'm spoutin' ova here

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
really the last two thirds of that is totally unsurprising, because once you see the encrypted password you know that the api is just dumping the entire core user record and of course that includes everything else

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rjmccall posted:

really the last two thirds of that is totally unsurprising, because once you see the encrypted password you know that the api is just dumping the entire core user record and of course that includes everything else
WHAT YEAR IS THIS

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

eyyy I'm spoutin' ova here

please keep your egg laying to yourself

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

WHAT YEAR IS THIS

i understand your confusion as that happening really does nothing to place it in time, one of those where water turns out to be wet.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Lol that the Spoutible say the leaked data "included email addresses and some phone numbers," and next "decrypted passwords and direct messages were not disclosed."

No word about everything in between that was exposed, like everything else. Not exactly honest disclosure IMO.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I can't believe they named the pii firehose "spoutible"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Clark Nova posted:

lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Clark Nova posted:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

little bobby spoutable

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
spoutible more like spout tables

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

rjmccall posted:

i was kinda impressed that they managed to include the password reset tokens since that's not something you need to have pre-computed and stored in every user record

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

this left so much exposed it seems like one of those fake services you make for a white hat hacking class, BUT IT WASN'T

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

shackleford posted:

i was kinda impressed that they managed to include the password reset tokens since that's not something you need to have pre-computed and stored in every user record

They had one fixed password reset token per user?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Guy Axlerod posted:

That was the weirdest part for me. I can understand how the rest happened, but what the hell was the thinking behind that one?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah that's true a lot of their data design is pretty bizarre even on its own. i wonder if they at least cycle it...?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

here are your ten emergency recovery tokens in case you lose access to your mfa token, don't lose them cause we have the only other copy in the clear on the company's G drive

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
clown computing strikes again!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

here are your ten emergency recovery tokens in case you lose access to your mfa token, don't lose them cause we have the only other copy in the clear on the company's G drive

"Its safe, after all, its on the internal network!" - Client when I posted all their plaintext keys and passwords from their subversion repo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CommieGIR posted:

"Its safe, after all, its on the internal network!" - Client when I posted all their plaintext keys and passwords from their subverted repo

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

https://www.zdnet.com/home-and-office/smart-home/3-million-smart-toothbrushes-were-just-used-in-a-ddos-attack-really/

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

you can tell there's a recession because your toothbrush can get root

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rjmccall posted:

i wonder if they at least cycle it...?

you definitely know the answer to this

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flakeloaf posted:

citrix lol

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://cyberplace.social/@GossiTheDog/111886861630650390

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

lmao nice

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

rjmccall posted:

yeah that's true a lot of their data design is pretty bizarre even on its own. i wonder if they at least cycle it...?

apparently upon use, and presumably only upon use lol
    The one saving grace is that the [password reset] token was rotated after reset so you can't use the one in the image above, but of course the new one was now publicly exposed in the API! And there's no 2FA challenge on password reset either but of course even if there was, well, you already read this far so you know how that could have been easily circumvented.

in fairness, it would be a waste of resources to both precompute and regularly rotate the tokens

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

flakeloaf posted:

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
$job is taking back our physical keys for the main entrance because they've installed a garbage iot lock that works off batteries and bluetooth, and works as a motor that rotates the key inside the existing lock.

I assume those eventually crap out in hilarious and predictable ways. that thing rules because once in the locked position it's holding the key inside the lock, so you can get a key in from the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

oh man, i fell for it. :(