Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my startup buys people's trash and then sorts through it to see whats in there and then sells the personalized shopping preference data to advertisers. I will be accepting funding now thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I call it "StarChamber Go"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Panoptimon

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haveblue posted:

Panoptimon

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Johnny290, in his best patrick stewart impression posted:

No! Don't trust the roombas. They will betray you!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

haveblue posted:

Panoptimon

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Shaggar posted:

my startup buys people's trash and then sorts through it to see whats in there and then sells the personalized shopping preference data to advertisers. I will be accepting funding now thank you.

just get there before the garbage truck does. people just put their trash out. it's free

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

webcam and led hidden in the trash can lid, some machine vision to identify contents, we could make this work.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Radio Paranoia posted:

just get there before the garbage truck does. people just put their trash out. it's free

a gig economy but for picking up people's trash. also once we pick up the trash and sort through it we need someone to dispose of it properly (in the ocean).

distortion park posted:

webcam and led hidden in the trash can lid, some machine vision to identify contents, we could make this work.

we're spending 10 million a month on compute for our AI powered IOT trash can lids and the kids keep "yeeting" them onto each others roofs.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

jesus WEP posted:

sunglasses deny everyone the ability to make eye contact with you but usually because for well-understood reasons like it's too bright out or you have some visual impairment. visions pro is because you'd rather look at a teams chat and it's psycho poo poo.

maybe I just don't want to make eye contact?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jesus WEP posted:

sunglasses deny everyone the ability to make eye contact with you but usually because for well-understood reasons like it's too bright out or you have some visual impairment.
bought and paid for by Big Transitions Lenses

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

actually I take that back I want to make eye contact with everyone

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Shaggar posted:

a gig economy but for picking up people's trash. also once we pick up the trash and sort through it we need someone to dispose of it properly (in the ocean).

telling the homeless guy digging through garbage for recyclables about the benefits of becoming a trash partner with my app

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
...and best of all, you can keep the cans!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
throwing out a full water bottle and a note that says please rate my trash 5 stars

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

In a previous job we got to build this cool little demo where we built this little device (with ultrasonic distance sensors attached to Raspberry Pis) that measured how full dumpsters were and sent that data to our company's IOT service, which then forwarded it on to our fleet management software to be able to do live route updates for garbage trucks to make their trips as efficient as possible. It was a very fun project and it demo'd pretty well (being able to put a bunch of crumpled up paper in the demo trash cans we were using and seeing the virtual truck's route immediately change on the map looked really cool), but it never ended up generating any leads. That's probably why that whole department eventually got nuked.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

remember greg raymer?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kenny Logins posted:

bought and paid for by Big Transitions Lenses
working in unison with Big Driftwood Chains

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I miss the 90s

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
holograms ruled

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
still do, even

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

point of order: it is in fact the Tunnel Snakes who rule

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

rotor posted:

point of order: it is in fact the Tunnel Snakes who rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekFBQbjRNBg

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fuuuuuuck.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i really coulda done without seeing that jonny

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Fuuuuuuck.

drat, don't like that at all

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I generally don't do forwarding addresses when I move. Anybody personal enough can just get a text. Anybody important enough (IRS) will find you. And in my particular case, it turns out this address was registered as a business, no poo poo, 35 years ago, and since I don't know the name of the business, I can't set a forwarding address when I move out anyways.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Fuuuuuuck.

po box stays winning

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah. If you folks ever want to get your ham license, make sure to spend $29 so you can put that down as your address. you'll get doxxed and (if pertinent) deadnamed via the FCC database search, so.

They won't ever send you any mail or anything but

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...
airtags still sketch me the gently caress out. Like, we're just cool with them being a thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've got one in my wallet, and one on my keys. They're convenient, but if apple shut them off tomorrow to shut down stalkers and DV stuff, i'd be like "fair play" and pop them out and move on with my life.

im not gonna go break into one infinite loop and try to shoot steve jobs or whoever over them

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

im not gonna go break into one infinite loop and try to shoot steve jobs or whoever over them

jonny, ive got some bad news for you about steve jobs. you might want to sit down

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so you buy into the big lie too, huh

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

You can accomplish the same level of tracking using some AirPods, just at an order of magnitude greater cost. So eliminating AirTags wouldn't necessary eliminate the problem. Apple does seem to be trying very hard to crack down on this as much as possible. When I was on a long train ride last year, I ended up getting a warning on my phone that an AirTag that wasn't registered to me had been following my location (obviously from some other passenger on the same train). It even gave me the option to disable the AirTag. Even after I rejected the offer to disable it, I ended up getting the same warning three more times over the course of the 16 hour trip.

My brother had some AirTags he kept in his gear bag (he's a wedding videographer), thinking they'd be helpful at recovering items in case of theft. Unfortunately, when his house did get broken into and his gear stolen, when he gave the items' current location to the police they just said that particular place (a motel outside of town) "wouldn't be amenable to law enforcement requests" and didn't do anything.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

steve snowjobs

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

like jonny, I have one in my work bag and with my keys, but it they stopped tomorrow they'd go in the weird gadget bin like all my other small, strange stuff that companies abandoned

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Probably my funnest use of them was using Find My to see when my keys moved when my car was in the shop for 10 days, to see when they actually started it.

Really the only thing airtags got goin for em is the prevalence of timb phones everywhere. It's a very "See? Advertising Works :smuggo: " park bench billboard thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jonny 290 posted:

I saw him with a younger asian lady at the palo alto ikea last spring. he's doing alright

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LanceHunter posted:

You can accomplish the same level of tracking using some AirPods, just at an order of magnitude greater cost. So eliminating AirTags wouldn't necessary eliminate the problem. Apple does seem to be trying very hard to crack down on this as much as possible. When I was on a long train ride last year, I ended up getting a warning on my phone that an AirTag that wasn't registered to me had been following my location (obviously from some other passenger on the same train). It even gave me the option to disable the AirTag. Even after I rejected the offer to disable it, I ended up getting the same warning three more times over the course of the 16 hour trip.

My brother had some AirTags he kept in his gear bag (he's a wedding videographer), thinking they'd be helpful at recovering items in case of theft. Unfortunately, when his house did get broken into and his gear stolen, when he gave the items' current location to the police they just said that particular place (a motel outside of town) "wouldn't be amenable to law enforcement requests" and didn't do anything.

wtf cops saying "they dont like it when we show up so we just wont"

dont cops love showing up where theyre not wanted??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Carthag Tuek posted:

wtf cops saying "they dont like it when we show up so we just wont"

dont cops love showing up where theyre not wanted??

depends how much they pay them on the sly