Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

That’s a serial killer face if I ever saw one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

He was...alright in Tennessee. Had a talented DL to work with but the secondary was trash, gave up a lot of big plays but the defense could hold when it mattered, and Titans did have the best red zone defense.

Honestly interested to see how he does without Vrabel.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Giants go from top 5 DC in the NFL to guy no one's ever heard of from a mediocre defense because their coach is that much of an rear end in a top hat that people hate to work for. Good stuff.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mcmagic posted:

Giants go from top 5 DC in the NFL
lmao

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, Harbaugh is insane and would try and stab someone with a fork or pull out a grenade or something

Too normal. He'd lob a hornet nest in or uncage a literal wolverine.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

mcmagic posted:

Giants go from top 5 DC in the NFL to guy no one's ever heard of from a mediocre defense because their coach is that much of an rear end in a top hat that people hate to work for. Good stuff.

Buddy I know you hate the Giants but lol at top 5 DC. You can just laugh normally you don't have to make things up to mock the Giants

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Strink Fartindale is a top-25 DC in the National Football League.

E: Giants defense was... kinda average at some things? They managed to get a lot of picks this year but they sucked out loud against the run and they were poo poo at getting pressure.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 6, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That guy didn’t seem like a box of chocolates himself lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'd imagine a top 5 DC in the league would try to teach his players that they're supposed to tackle the players on the other team when they have the ball, and i watched enough Giants games last year to know that Wink Martindale didn't seem to do that

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Are we sure Snyder sold the football team? This entire leaking all the spurned lover poo poo with Ben Johnson has all the fingerprints of a Snyder special.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

iirc Martindale's Ravens defenses did rank top 5 or borderline in stuff like ppg and ypg (that is, until his last year where they were decimated by injuries and the secondary was comprised of backups to backups of practice squad players), but that was years ago and even then calling him a top 5 DC was a stretch

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Febreeze posted:

Buddy I know you hate the Giants but lol at top 5 DC. You can just laugh normally you don't have to make things up to mock the Giants

Wink is really good.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Mega64 posted:

He was...alright in Tennessee. Had a talented DL to work with but the secondary was trash, gave up a lot of big plays but the defense could hold when it mattered, and Titans did have the best red zone defense.

Honestly interested to see how he does without Vrabel.

As an outsider looking in, this seems like a solid hire. Never felt like he had the horses the last couple of years, bit was still respectable.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

dingo with a joint posted:

oo. much as i'd rather see him back with the chiefs, bienemy as the new hc at ucla would make me smile.

I'm ready for Chip Kelly's Wild Ride to return to the NFL. Just like, not for a team I root for. I am content to observe from a safe distance

Speaking of the Athletic's podcast quality Nate Tice recently referred to a Chip Kelly formation as the "human centipede" and I am not really interested in googling the phrase "chip kelly human centipede" to learn if Nate made that up himself or not :chloe:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Wink is really good.

Yeah, that's why he's never gotten a HC job, got let go by the Ravens, and like that other guy said, only had a marginal top 5 defense once, years ago

The Giants defense was alright at their best for the past two years under him and a lot that came out made him look the petty dick who was just as much of an rear end in a top hat as Daboll

You don't have to make poo poo up to laugh at the Giants, they are dumb enough on their own

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Febreeze posted:

Yeah, that's why he's never gotten a HC job, got let go by the Ravens, and like that other guy said, only had a marginal top 5 defense once, years ago

The Giants defense was alright at their best for the past two years under him and a lot that came out made him look the petty dick who was just as much of an rear end in a top hat as Daboll

You don't have to make poo poo up to laugh at the Giants, they are dumb enough on their own

Being a good HC really has nothing to do with being a good DC. We have no idea if he'd be a good HC but much like the guy he replaced in Baltimore he is a really good DC and has been for like 20 years, whose defenses are copied by pretty much half the league. I've said that even before he went to the Giants.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

A bit of continuity there with what Martindale was doing, there's a lot of commonality between the Ravens house defense that has a lot of Dean Pees influence and the stuff that Vrabel/Bowen/etc. learned from Romeo Crennel. It's a lot of the old-school Patriots defense before they switched it up in the early 2010's.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Being a good HC really has nothing to do with being a good DC. We have no idea if he'd be a good HC but much like the guy he replaced in Baltimore he is a really good DC and has been for like 20 years, whose defenses are copied by pretty much half the league. I've said that even before he went to the Giants.

mcmagic, wink was mid as hell on the ravens, a team that only learned how to make a modern NFL offense this year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

mcmagic, wink was mid as hell on the ravens, a team that only learned how to make a modern NFL offense this year

lol what does their offense have to do with him? he had top 10 defenses there year after year even with mediocre talent as the hall of fame guys retired.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Good DCs get hired as HCs, something Wink has openly pined for and interviewed for and yet nobody ever hires him

Kinda makes you wonder if he's actually the rear end in a top hat

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Febreeze posted:

Good DCs get hired as HCs, something Wink has openly pined for and interviewed for and yet nobody ever hires him

Kinda makes you wonder if he's actually the rear end in a top hat

He worked under one of the best coaches in the NFL for 10 years who just gave an interview saying that he should've gotten a HC job by now. It's very clear Daboll is the rear end in a top hat.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

mcmagic posted:

He worked under one of the best coaches in the NFL for 10 years who just gave an interview saying that he should've gotten a HC job by now. It's very clear Daboll is the rear end in a top hat.

Oh wow a guy he had a good relationship with spoke highly of him, that's concrete evidence he's not a jerk!

Most of what came out about the feud was Winks doing. He was the leak that led to the whole drama that followed the team for the back half of the year. Daboll apparently tried to handle it privately and it was mostly due to him wanting to move on from one of Winks "guys". Daboll also fired one of his own buddies so I don't even think it was personal

I think Daboll and Wink are probably both assholes and Wink never had the Giants defense anywhere close to top 5 despite having some talent to work with

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Asproigerosis posted:

Are we sure Snyder sold the football team? This entire leaking all the spurned lover poo poo with Ben Johnson has all the fingerprints of a Snyder special.

Snyder probably left a letter on the owner's desk to make sure the Commie culture remained intact.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Anderson Koopa posted:

I ranked / rated every coach in the league based on how tough I think they are.

S-Tier -Top notch, usually former players, absolute specimens
Antonio Pierce
Demeco Ryans
Jerod Mayo
Dan Campbell
Robert Saleh
Mike MacDonald

A-Tier - guys who look pretty tough but are just outside of greatness
Mike Tomlin
Todd Bowles
Kevin Stefanski
Raheem Morris

B-Tier - tough outs here
Dan Quinn
Matt Eberflus - played linebacker
Sean McDermott
Dan Quinn
Brian Callahan
Zac Taylor
Kevin O'Connell

C-Tier - guys who could be tough, but also could fold
Sean McVay
Jonathan Gannon
Matt Lafleur
Shane Steichen
John Harbaugh
Dennis Allen
Brian Daboll

D-Tier - Mostly the elderly here
Sean Payton
Andy Reid
Doug Pederson
Jim Harbaugh
Dave Canales
Mike McCarthy
Mike McDaniel
Nick Sirianni

Shanahan in the negative zone, not even rated

MMA and boxing have taught us that looking like a goober is not a disqualifier when it comes to dispensing violence

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Wink is fat and not jolly

Confirmed bad coach even before mcmagics endorsement

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Canales ran through so many side pieces it took god himself to stem the tide of skirt being thrown his way. He deserves to be higher.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

BlindSite posted:

Canales ran through so many side pieces it took god himself to stem the tide of skirt being thrown his way. He deserves to be higher.

This is what I'm saying

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

lol what does their offense have to do with him? he had top 10 defenses there year after year even with mediocre talent as the hall of fame guys retired.

What do you think Baltimore spent all their draft picks and fa money on during that period

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://x.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1754547337316511840?s=20

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

How are they trying to settle the score, just badmouthing him? Serious question. It's not like the Lions are going to fire him, and if McDaniels got another HC job after the Colts thing, there's no way this seriously impacts his prospects a year or two from now (assuming their O continues to perform well anyway)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they keep saying he's only there to kiss all the boys. and that's cool by me. great plan quite frankly but the nfl is the nfl until further notice

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

yeah if he's not calling plays then you're golden

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Nosre posted:

How are they trying to settle the score, just badmouthing him? Serious question. It's not like the Lions are going to fire him, and if McDaniels got another HC job after the Colts thing, there's no way this seriously impacts his prospects a year or two from now (assuming their O continues to perform well anyway)

Nobody gives a poo poo except Washington's ownership group. They're obviously a bunch of toxic fuckheads that can't handle being told "no" and everyone is basically laughing at them.

Ben Johnson will get a head coaching job whenever he wants one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Are all new owners this inept?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Are all new owners this inept?

think about the type of people in 2024 with enough money to own a sports team

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Alaois posted:

think about the type of people in 2024 with enough money to own a sports team

Eagerly awaiting the day Musk buys a team and immediately renames them to the Xers

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Bienemy is now de enemy as he is indeed notified he’s not retained by Dan Quinn.

I wonder who gets him

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Shinji2015 posted:

Eagerly awaiting the day Musk buys a team and immediately renames them to the Xers

He will buy the bills and rename them the laugh crying emoji

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Bienemy is now de enemy as he is indeed notified he’s not retained by Dan Quinn.

I wonder who gets him

There aren't any openings left are there? That UCLA rumor upthread makes some sense, other than that an assistant consultant job for a year and then maybe Deion gets a job somewhere else and Colorado opens up?

His NFL path for the moment seems to be closed.

e: He could take a running game coordinator position somewhere with an assistant head coach title I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Joe Barry hired by the Dolphins as Linebacker coach (good) and run-game coordinator (bad). The run game coordinator is a real head scratcher because Green Bay's defense was hot garbage against the run, allowing the second most per carry over the past three years at 4.7 yards.