Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I will confess that the floating timer over each pot kinda tickled my inner cyber-future-obsessed nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I need new dinnerware and I'm excited. There's a bunch of local stores like Crate & Barrel etc but are there any online retailers that I should check out or general places online that have good selection? I'm in Canada but most places ship here so it shouldn't be a problem.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Look at this $100 juicer

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Look at this $100 juicer

*war of the worlds terror horn sound*
Oh that must mean my juice is done

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
It looks really aerodynamic. They could call it the Juice Aero.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It's an interesting design really. It was never intended to be a great functional juicer but some folk seem to think it's OK. I remember when it was new, but then made myself sad when I realised that was 34 years ago.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

:goofy:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I look at it as one step toward true Ratatouille technology and that is a positive thing for mankind.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Look at this $100 juicer

i've honestly never really liked any one of philippe starck's designs.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

VelociBacon posted:

I need new dinnerware and I'm excited. There's a bunch of local stores like Crate & Barrel etc but are there any online retailers that I should check out or general places online that have good selection? I'm in Canada but most places ship here so it shouldn't be a problem.

If I were in your shoes I’d want to touch and see something like dinnerware in person before buying, but I’m probably pickier than average. Shipping back a stack of plates sounds like a nightmare.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is scrub daddy any good

They have 8 packs at Costco

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Steve Yun posted:

Is scrub daddy any good

They have 8 packs at Costco

Yes. 8 is a lot though, because they last a very long time. 8*3? Or 8 pads total?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
8 total, $17.60

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Does anyone have an opinion on Wolf vs. Jenn-Air for cooktops?

A couple friends of mine are in the planning stages of redoing their kitchen, and one of them has some very specific ideas about what she wants from a cooktop - specifically, 4 induction burners and 2 gas burners, at least one of which has to be relatively high output (they don't want to put in a commercial hood). So far the best solution we've found is a 4 induction burner cooktop and then a separate 2 burner gas cooktop. Jenn-Air and Wolf both offer modular solutions which, if used as standalones, would support her requirements.

Also, if anyone has an alternative suggestion, I'm all ears, but she's pretty set on this configuration.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on Wolf vs. Jenn-Air for cooktops?

A couple friends of mine are in the planning stages of redoing their kitchen, and one of them has some very specific ideas about what she wants from a cooktop - specifically, 4 induction burners and 2 gas burners, at least one of which has to be relatively high output (they don't want to put in a commercial hood). So far the best solution we've found is a 4 induction burner cooktop and then a separate 2 burner gas cooktop. Jenn-Air and Wolf both offer modular solutions which, if used as standalones, would support her requirements.

Also, if anyone has an alternative suggestion, I'm all ears, but she's pretty set on this configuration.

I'm really interested in what these requirements are for the 4-2 split. Do they do a lot of sauces that require sitting peppers/etc over a bare flame? Toast a lot of tortillas? But otherwise want to transition to induction?

The two options you link are going to function pretty identically (unless they plan on actually searing stuff on this instead of on the induction, or they want to use a wok, idk) but look drastically different - which one fits their aesthetic better? Tell them that one is better.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Nephzinho posted:

I'm really interested in what these requirements are for the 4-2 split. Do they do a lot of sauces that require sitting peppers/etc over a bare flame? Toast a lot of tortillas? But otherwise want to transition to induction?

The two options you link are going to function pretty identically (unless they plan on actually searing stuff on this instead of on the induction, or they want to use a wok, idk) but look drastically different - which one fits their aesthetic better? Tell them that one is better.

Both of these. There are also concerns about cast iron scratching the induction surface, for the occasional hard sear.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:wtc: induction is like 420 cast iron every day

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

alnilam posted:

There is no worry about functionality - she's worried about scratching the surface of the induction cooktop itself. I have no idea how scratch resistant that glass is, but I've seen plenty of hosed up glasstop ranges in the past, so it's not a completely unfounded concern.

mystes
May 31, 2006

alnilam posted:

420 is steel don't you know anything?

Shooting Blanks posted:

There is no worry about functionality - she's worried about scratching the surface of the induction cooktop itself. I have no idea how scratch resistant that glass is, but I've seen plenty of hosed up glasstop ranges in the past, so it's not a completely unfounded concern.
That's probably a reasonable concern in terms of ensuring the cooktop lasts a long time, but functionally I suspect the glass getting scratched probably doesn't even matter as much on induction compared to conventional glasstop electric cooktops

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 12, 2024

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mystes posted:

420 is steel don't you know anything?

That's probably a reasonable concern in terms of ensuring the cooktop lasts a long time, but functionally I suspect the glass getting scratched probably doesn't even matter as much on induction compared to conventional glasstop electric cooktops

Not my kitchen, not my decision. If it were me, it would be all induction - and I'd either use those induction surface protector mats or simply never move the cast iron around on the surface once it's placed (like I do now).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I just put a paper towel under the pan. :shrug:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.amazon.ca/Cuisinart-891...C97&sr=8-6&th=1
or this:
https://www.amazon.ca/CUISINART-MCP...97&sr=8-14&th=1

is 65$ Canadian a good price for a medium pot/saucepan? (OP seems to recommend Cuisnarts?) I have a pan/pot I use on the larger burners of my stove that I want to replace because the lid is poo poo (it's this glass with metal cap design, but the cap is not properly affixed to the lid and occasionally slips off, I assume because it's just poorly made and warped by heat over time) I use this as a pretty much all around pot, boiling pasta, or making smaller batch stuff like curries or taco mixes that I don't want to have to bust out a big stew pot for.

I see a T-Fal for about 20$ cheaper as well

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I loving hate my non-induction flat top, it's like the worst of all worlds. I'd much rather have the plain calrod spiral tubes.

EDIT: it came with my current house, I didn't buy it.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 12, 2024

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah the coils are way more effective than glass-tops. I eventually got rid of my wok when I moved into my second place with glass stovetops because lol getting anything done there.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Been thinking about buying an induction wok stove, when we finally move to Germany this summer. I've heard they're pretty good, and I love the wok too much to want to leave it behind.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

Been thinking about buying an induction wok stove, when we finally move to Germany this summer. I've heard they're pretty good, and I love the wok too much to want to leave it behind.

I'm in the middle of switching to induction and just got a very very large flat bottomed wok.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

FWIW I just got The Wok (book) and Kenji says flat bottom on induction can work just fine, once you figure out your batch size:

quote:

They can. I think there’s this false impression, particularly in the West and in the U.S. that in order to cook with a wok, you need these jet flame, high-powered restaurant-style burners that could do like 150,000 BTUs per hour. People think that and they think you can’t cook properly in a wok without those. But of course, there’s hundreds of millions of people cooking in a wok every day that don’t have restaurant ranges at home. Initially, when I was growing up, my impression of what was cooking with a wok was mainly colored by the fact that I ate Chinese food pretty much exclusively at restaurants. And it was mainly restaurants that come from the sort of southern Chinese or Cantonese or Hong Kong style cuisines that first penetrated into the U.S. A lot of a Chinese American food and a lot of the dishes we’re familiar with in the U.S. come from that style of cuisine. And that’s really the only part of China where you’re going to find this concept of wok-hei, the sort of smoky flavor that you get from using gas and letting the flame actually leap into the wok.

So really, when you’re not cooking with gas, the only thing that you’re sort of cutting out of your repertoire are those very specific dishes from southern China that require this sort of wok flavor. But the vast majority of dishes that you cook and wok don’t require that heat, so you can do any, you know, most of the dishes you can do just fine on electric or induction.

He goes on to say you can attain wok hei with a handheld gas torch, a technique also useful for gas burner cooking to amp it up.

Also, my wife loves the tiny tip from this book to add soy sauce around the outside of the pan, letting it caramelize slightly before stirring it in. She said that alone was worth the book :)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

On a glasstop my flat bottom wok would bow with uneven heat, not very good for induction.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

I'm in the middle of switching to induction and just got a very very large flat bottomed wok.

Yeah I installed my induction cooktop 2 weeks ago* and the old wok was anodized aluminum flat-bottom, so I got a nice carbon steel flat-bottom wok. I know I'll never get the ~~ True Wok Experience ~~ without a mega gas burner but I'm excited to learn to use a seasoned steel wok anyway.

I had already been in a slow process of upping my use of cast iron too, and the induction cooktop has been great with them, I love it. At this point I don't miss my calphalon non-stick pans at all.

*Switching one built-in cooktop for another was supposed to be a quick straightforward one hour job and turned into an all day disaster, as any good home improvement project should. Turns out "standard" cutout sizes are not that standard.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Supposedly the round induction heaters can get it as hot as with a gas burner, and quite evenly.

If I wanted a flat bottomed one, I'd just stick with my cast iron frying pans tbh. This is a nice carbon steel one and already seasoned and with a few years of cooking on it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I mean presumably an induction hob can make a pan as hot as it wants and that’s probably good enough for a wok if you’re not chasing the hei, but when I said glass stovetop I meant non-induction as well, just the coil embedded in the glass. It’s probably possible, but you really have to have a nice pan and a nice stove to get ideal contact and conduction.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ror posted:

I mean presumably an induction hob can make a pan as hot as it wants and that’s probably good enough for a wok if you’re not chasing the hei, but when I said glass stovetop I meant non-induction as well, just the coil embedded in the glass. It’s probably possible, but you really have to have a nice pan and a nice stove to get ideal contact and conduction.

Yeah I used a flat bottom aluminum wok on a glass radiant cooktop for years and it was not great, but sorta passable. I guess i was mainly using the wok for its shape and size but dealing with the fact that the heat was mostly at the bottom.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've actually been meaning to ask this question, so glad the topic came up. I did a search on the forums and did not see much talk about it, but the NuWave Mosaic induction wok seems pretty interesting. Maybe use something like a torch to add the "wok hei"? Anyone ever use on or something similar? I had been looking at getting an outdoor wok setup to learn on, but I live in an area where I'd only be able to use it like half of the year so I think I'd look into something I could use indoors.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

I've actually been meaning to ask this question, so glad the topic came up. I did a search on the forums and did not see much talk about it, but the NuWave Mosaic induction wok seems pretty interesting. Maybe use something like a torch to add the "wok hei"? Anyone ever use on or something similar? I had been looking at getting an outdoor wok setup to learn on, but I live in an area where I'd only be able to use it like half of the year so I think I'd look into something I could use indoors.

Unless you've got a giant gently caress off burner set up in your driveway/backyard, you're not going to get wok hei at home. Accept this in your heart and do your best. If "can't use it outside half the year" is because it is too cold or too much snow, it won't be once the thing gets going.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Recommend me a flat bottom woks plz. I have a cast iron Lodge wok and that thing is heavy as gently caress and kind of annoying to use, I'd be open to upgrading with something that works on induction.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Craft-Wok-Hammered-Carbon-731W316/dp/B0922Y11HX

It's still heavy though.

(edit: to clarify, this is the same as I have, only flatter. Got it 3 years ago and it's been awesome, just make sure to season it well to start. Change to .com if you're in the US)

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 12, 2024

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I spent a while reading reviews and settled on the yosukata black carbon steel flat bottom wok. Serious Eats did a big review of flat bottom woks where they actually talk about the tests they did on them, which at least makes it a little more convincing than random paid promotion or machine generated garbage out there but who knows, maybe I've been fooled. I will let you know in a few weeks if I'm still happy with it, but for now I'm just passing on what I read.

It's still pretty heavy... not cast iron heavy but not light. But something light isn't going to take induction very well and isn't going to distribute heat very well either, so just make peace with the fact that anything good will probably be a bit heavy (maybe not cast iron heavy though)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

Unless you've got a giant gently caress off burner set up in your driveway/backyard, you're not going to get wok hei at home. Accept this in your heart and do your best. If "can't use it outside half the year" is because it is too cold or too much snow, it won't be once the thing gets going.

... thanks I guess?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/Cuisinart-891...C97&sr=8-6&th=1
or this:
https://www.amazon.ca/CUISINART-MCP...97&sr=8-14&th=1

is 65$ Canadian a good price for a medium pot/saucepan? (OP seems to recommend Cuisnarts?) I have a pan/pot I use on the larger burners of my stove that I want to replace because the lid is poo poo (it's this glass with metal cap design, but the cap is not properly affixed to the lid and occasionally slips off, I assume because it's just poorly made and warped by heat over time) I use this as a pretty much all around pot, boiling pasta, or making smaller batch stuff like curries or taco mixes that I don't want to have to bust out a big stew pot for.

I see a T-Fal for about 20$ cheaper as well

Still wouldn't mind a thought on this, but also does OPs' recommendation on microwaves still stand? Panasonics with Inverters?

Just had my current (maybe 7-10 years old?) microwave die kind of unprompted with a "pop" and it seemingly just being dead.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think the patent must’ve run out because now Breville has an inverter microwave for $400 and Toshiba has one for $180 if you don’t want to pay $260 for the Panasonic one

To be quite honest though I think any cheap piece of poo poo microwave will work fine