Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

They just add really expensive trolley problems right when you get access to new merchants.

New sword? Or Lil’ Tiefling Billy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Black Noise posted:

They just add really expensive trolley problems right when you get access to new merchants.

New sword? Or Lil’ Tiefling Billy

Well I already sent 7000 vampire spawn to their deaths just to upgrade a bonus action on a character I barely use, so... sorry Billy

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Golden Axes gnomes that sneak into the camp every long rest.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Golden Axe gnomes aside, for the record, i dont think the economy is broken/in need of fixing, i just wish there were a little extra extra to the act of thievery and stripmining the dungeon clutter, since it is good fun in and of itself. tampering with D&D economy sounds like itd suck big time tho.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The purpose of paintings is karlach. She appreciates art and by the path of the enraged throw she can make others appreciate it too, Especially since paintings have HP so they break when you throw them for that extra bar fight atmosphere.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I decorate my campsites with the paintings

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Turds in magma posted:

Well I already sent 7000 vampire spawn to their deaths just to upgrade a bonus action on a character I barely use, so... sorry Billy

You recruited 7,000 soldiers for the blood war and eliminated the Vampire problem in the gate. Win / Win

Fruits of the sea posted:

I decorate my campsites with the paintings

I did this but some scene transitions jam all the decor back into your chest.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Paintings are going into the sick palace you are gonna build with all your adventuring money, duh.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Turds in magma posted:

You'd need an actual fun gold sink. Not repair, not some lame crafting system.

I propose material costs for spellcasting :D

Add a house in baldur’s gate that you can buy which becomes where long rests happen. Then add shops that sell furniture and stuff to put in the house.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I want an estate in the Upper City where I can look down on all the poors in the Lower City.

I should probably stop killing all the Flaming Fist though, somebody needs to keep the riffraff out.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

F4rt5 posted:

And you'll get better once the very good advice above settles in your mind. My first playthrough was kinda hellish until act 3, as a not very experienced D&D player. Just so much stuff to think about and consider. My second playthrough now I just slayed the harpies without them getting many hits in, and everything is just a much easier fight (still on Balanced, no karmic dice). When it clicks it's fun, and I'm sure to do yet another playthrough with another completely different Tav after this one.

e: Like I knew the basic D&D 101 stuff like dice, crits, stats, Magic Missile (for attacking the darkness) etc. But I never even played the original BG, NWN etc or made / played a tabletop character. So basically a freshman. Suffice to say I'm hooked and really want to join an IRL tabletop game with friends I know have done this before.

Somewhere, deep beneath the basement of the Wizards of the Coast headquarters, a duergar wearing an accountant's visor chuckles.

Entropic posted:

If you really want to cheese that fight, have a cleric pre-cast Silence in the spot where the harpies show up before you talk to the kid.

Cast it on your party. Spellcasters can step outside of the area of effect on their turn and then step back in, but if you have ranged weapons and can start on at least the middle ledge, you can just snipe them until they come into melee range.

rojay fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 6, 2024

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

grack posted:

I'm guessing the devs realized that players will steal everything that isn't nailed down so they kept the values low so as to not completely gently caress the economics.

Paintings were worth a ton of money in Divinity and they've been reduced drastically in value for this one so I think that's exactly what happened.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Thuryl posted:

Paintings were worth a ton of money in Divinity and they've been reduced drastically in value for this one so I think that's exactly what happened.

ha! cool

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
in my most current run, within the last two weeks, the game thought I was emotionally cheating on Laezel with Gale (who would ever?) and I had to break it off with him not once, but twice! and then later I had to totally definitively ruin Halsin's bullshit. "a simple no wouldve sufficed" lol

The game gets patched and current with the Steam Deck. I think its very amusing that this sort of behavior is stuck around, despite Larian dialing it back a few times!

still, a big improvement from "hey. wanna see a magic trick? :pervert:" which I did get to see back in August

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Slider posted:

Why aren't the paintings worth anything in this game?? I steal every single one I see and only become more and more disappointed

Almost all of the paintings are duplicates of the same 10 subjects, so in my mind, you’re not really looting and selling masterpieces, you’re looting and selling the cheap art you find in hotel rooms. The Realms equivalent of Thomas Kincaid or “dogs playing poker”

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gatto Grigio posted:

Almost all of the paintings are duplicates of the same 10 subjects, so in my mind, you’re not really looting and selling masterpieces, you’re looting and selling the cheap art you find in hotel rooms. The Realms equivalent of Thomas Kincaid or “dogs playing poker”

Karlach would totally be into paintings of dogs playing poker.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

She’s got good taste.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The dual-wield quarterstaves + pointy hat technique lives on. Triple digits!! With a base 1d8 cantrip!!

https://i.imgur.com/nq1HAuw.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/CCzekIj.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/wfwRpph.mp4

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

exquisite tea posted:

Minthy makes more sense to recruit on an evil run, anyway. The fact that she can be saved at all for a good Tav is more of a curiosity than anything else.

It’s a glitch and clearly unintended too. Her and Halsin occupy the same tent in like 90% of the camps, they stand nearly stacked on each other or Minthara is kneeling inside decorations.

Also Halsin doesn’t have any dialogue really referencing her. My Minthara got kidnapped and every party member I talked to after was like “she’s our friend we have to save her” except Halsin who had zero to say.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Iirc they are supposed to implement an ultimatum eventually.
What honestly would be nice would be a way for her to show up in the final battle as a summon for a good tav. Perhaps with a squad of (seldraine?) drow mercs or whatever as a reward for bringing her along to kill ketheric before she peaces out.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 6, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

It’s a glitch and clearly unintended too. Her and Halsin occupy the same tent in like 90% of the camps, they stand nearly stacked on each other or Minthara is kneeling inside decorations.

Also Halsin doesn’t have any dialogue really referencing her. My Minthara got kidnapped and every party member I talked to after was like “she’s our friend we have to save her” except Halsin who had zero to say.

It was originally a glitch that was made into a feature later, long after all the voice recording was done which explains why Halsin and Minthara don't have any mutual banter.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Iirc they are supposed to implement an ultimatum eventually.
What honestly would be nice would be a way for her to show up in the final battle as a summon for a good tav. Perhaps with a squad of (seldraine?) drow mercs or whatever as a reward for bringing her along to kill ketheric before she peaces out.

There are lines actually in the files for an ultimatum between Halsin/Minthara. They pre-date the "official" good run pickup of minthara so it was obviously genuinely planned at some point. To be honest though, I don't think it makes much sense for Halsin to be that strongly against minthara given that he knows she was under the control of the absolute then (and doesn't yet know she's sorta her own brand of evil otherwise).

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I don’t know why the random basement that just recreates “the remains of the day,” complete with a journal that just…quotes the ending in full, exists, but I appreciate it

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

buffalo all day posted:

I don’t know why the random basement that just recreates “the remains of the day,” complete with a journal that just…quotes the ending in full, exists, but I appreciate it

Is that the one near the, uh, gate in Baldurs Gate? If so, it's apparently a tribute to a fan who died developed alzheimers prior to the full release.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Disco Pope posted:

Is that the one near the, uh, gate in Baldurs Gate? If so, it's apparently a tribute to a fan who died developed alzheimers prior to the full release.

It’s in the basement of the house with the hag support group, but now I need to go check out that other house.

Also I discovered jaheiras house / basement which I never found on my first run. Insane amount of care here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You can also talk to the dude upstairs and get a nice shield.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Thundarr posted:

It was originally a glitch that was made into a feature later, long after all the voice recording was done which explains why Halsin and Minthara don't have any mutual banter.

I don’t think it’s really a feature. It’s still a glitch. In order to get it work you have to really metagame it.

Like you have to make her “temporarily hostile” and then knock her out can’t be regular hostile. Also allegedly if you don’t finish the quest in one long rest it breaks it as well.

That doesn’t exactly sound like feature.

Fake edit: But you know what so I didn’t come off as a jackass I went and searched the patch 5 patch notes. And gently caress sure enough “Minthara will still appear at Moonrise Towers if she was knocked out in act one” is listed in the Patch 5 notes.

Weird they would make it a thing but still make achieving it so glitchy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think Larian invested too much time into making Minthara recruitable on a good run, as that wasn't really the intent. They just made it easier by removing the five steps in between where you needed to have Karlach teleport to Act 2 and throw a polymorphed Minthara into Moonrise Towers.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think Larian invested too much time into making Minthara recruitable on a good run, as that wasn't really the intent. They just made it easier by removing the five steps in between where you needed to have Karlach teleport to Act 2 and throw a polymorphed Minthara into Moonrise Towers.

I mean hopefully patch 6 is mostly bugfixing and QoL fixes instead of totally tangential features.
I set aside my honor mode run because of run ending bug horror stories.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

the prereq of Minthara being a sheep though was admittedly very funny, but I think Larian saw the writing on the wall and realized that people who want to romance minthara or see all the content were gonna force themselves to do this every time rather than just be evil and decided to cut out the middleman

I totally respect that people are gonna play in the most "optimal" way for whatever their goal is regardless of how much of a pain it might be and so you gotta save players from themselves sometimes. I still think it sorta weakens the idea of her being an outright evil companion though

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Weird Pumpkin posted:

the prereq of Minthara being a sheep though was admittedly very funny, but I think Larian saw the writing on the wall and realized that people who want to romance minthara or see all the content were gonna force themselves to do this every time rather than just be evil and decided to cut out the middleman

I totally respect that people are gonna play in the most "optimal" way for whatever their goal is regardless of how much of a pain it might be and so you gotta save players from themselves sometimes. I still think it sorta weakens the idea of her being an outright evil companion though

Yeah it's like the Alfira thing where it was obviously not intended but people were doing it anyway and will continue to do it, so they canonized it, which I have mixed feelings about.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Weird Pumpkin posted:

If that's the case, they should just put in a cutscene where you can decide if you kill or spare unconscious Minthara after the fight, rather than relying on this weird "use only non-lethal attacks, also she has to be temporary hostile and not permanently hostile, so avoid all story triggers for assaulting goblin camp and just steal something in front of her and also also, finish the whole goblin camp before a long rest" thing they have going on now.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 6, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I wish they add a path where Alfira does join your camp and she's just a cool bard that plays music at night and hangs out with you. And you can romance

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's weird that the one quasi-exploit thing they patched out was being able to shove Cazador. Man is standing on a tiny platform above the abyss, he kinda brought that on himself.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Act 1 at the creche:

Finished the astral plane stuff, murdering my way through the rooms because XP and there's stuff I want (worms, gith egg, loot)

Anything I'm missing? Went straight to the Inquisitor, killed him, told Vlakaath to get hosed, which is why I'm on a killing spree (they started it!). Got the blood mace thing. Didn't do anything else first. I'm not above save scumming so if I missed anything important I'll reload for it, but I killed the merchant and she dropped what looks like the good stuff she was selling so I'm not sure it matters.

Also level 7 but drat these fights are tough. End up using lots of spell slots and taking decent damage in each. Not to the point of dying, but having to heal up a bunch after each.

Also how bad am I loving myself by not regularly using Lae'zel's superiority dice stuff? I only recently started remembering to use rage for karlach... But I only recently added Lae'zel to my party for this part. She can light some people up... had Wyll in, and I love Eldritch blast, but I dunno if I'll bring him back...

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Lt. Lizard posted:

If that's the case, they should just put in a cutscene where you can decide if you kill or spare unconscious Minthara after the fight, rather than relying on this weird "use only non-lethal attacks, also she has to be temporary hostile and not permanently hostile, so avoid all story triggers for assaulting goblin camp and just steal something in front of her and also also, finish the whole goblin camp before a long rest" thing they have going on now.

I mean to be fair to recruit Minsc you also have to have the foresight to non lethal finish him. They should probably fix that too.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
They should just let you take sussy blooms out of the Underdark cos split/unsplit will probably always be buggy as hell, my new piles just don't even appear in the UI most of the time

DaveSauce posted:

Act 1 at the creche

You may have read some stuff in the monastery about a cool holy relic, did you find that?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Creche is kind of the high watermark for the game's difficulty, and for the sickest loot concentrated in a single area.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

DaveSauce posted:

Also how bad am I loving myself by not regularly using Lae'zel's superiority dice stuff? I only recently started remembering to use rage for karlach... But I only recently added Lae'zel to my party for this part. She can light some people up... had Wyll in, and I love Eldritch blast, but I dunno if I'll bring him back...

Menacing attack is HUGE for stopping your party from taking damage from specific enemies by applying frighten. You should be using it constantly, doubly so on account of superiority dice recharging on short rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

]
Also how bad am I loving myself by not regularly using Lae'zel's superiority dice stuff?

They're insanely good, especially once you're able to set up advantage so that they reliably land. Using Trip Attack to knock someone prone will give Advantage to everyone else attacking them until they get back up. Disarm will totally neuter most enemies offensively - you can pick loot their weapon(s) as a free action so they have to use fists the rest of the fight, but even if you don't, they have to spend an action to re-equip them.

Push Attack and Menacing Attack are pretty useful situationally too, but Trip and Disarm were the two I used the most, and Lae'zel was an absolute beast that whole run.