Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
As a subscriber I'd be happier if he were to make the strips free to view for everyone. I'm not paying for exclusive access, I'm paying so he can make a living and do his work sustainably.

So far it's been great, far better than I'd feared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
In the post talking about the Serializer content, Onstad mentioned that it was hard for him to pour his love equally into two rivers, which is fair and I don't blame him for going with the avenue that makes him money. This is probably the first time he's made a proper living off Achewood that wasn't based off of merchandising and all the headache that comes with fulfillment. I'm happy enough to support him this way.

The only credit I'll give to Patreon is that it's given creators a platform that seems to make the subscription model work for them. I sometimes wonder what it would have meant for Onstad and Achewood if Patreon had been around earlier or if the television show got picked up (though I doubt he'd have much time for the strip if the latter happened).

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the tv show was never going to get picked up with that ratchet rear end test footage.swf

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it was not outstanding but the way toby huss says "oh that's right! I put two thousand flushes in the toilet last night!" will live in my heart forever

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

World War Mammories posted:

it was not outstanding but the way toby huss says "oh that's right! I put two thousand flushes in the toilet last night!" will live in my heart forever
Yeah, Toby Huss was a good call there.

I suspect this is the kind of issue it would be possible to actually raise with Onstad in some form.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

panko posted:

the tv show was never going to get picked up with that ratchet rear end test footage.swf

that version was never getting picked up but he actually just posted a few storyboards from the different netflix GOF show that got canned and they look way, way better. he was apparently working on it with the adventure time guy but it got shitcanned when the netflix stock dipped real bad a few years ago.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Like I've said multiple times before they chose all the wrong things about Achewood to show off in that pitch reel, too much of Philippe being cute and Roast Beef being sad and not enough of shenanigans involving Todd, Lyle, Lie Bot, and Vlad

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The Netflix GOF show not making it past production hurts, but not as much as knowing that the complete canon book was apparently 98% ready to go before Oni folded.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

moot the hopple posted:

... as knowing that the complete canon book was apparently 98% ready to go before Oni folded.

Sad as it is, honestly that was dodging a bullet. A lot of artists had issues with not receiving sales / residuals as Oni imploded.

There's a pattern of Portland, OR comic publishers becoming explosively popular/profitable, getting acquired by some mega-conglomerate, and promptly getting gutted and becoming thin shells. Happened to Oni, happened to Dark Horse, will probably happen to Image eventually.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 5, 2024

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
dog penis medicine. that strip is the cartoon pilot.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Like I've said multiple times before they chose all the wrong things about Achewood to show off in that pitch reel, too much of Philippe being cute and Roast Beef being sad and not enough of shenanigans involving Todd, Lyle, Lie Bot, and Vlad

Yeah it's my favorite comic of all time so it had every advantage with me to like it and I mostly just cringed. I can't imagine the reaction from someone who doesn't even get the essence of the strip.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Everybody knows what the perfect strip to capture the hearts and minds of America with a pilot adaptation would have been :nws:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
remember in the Pat gay arc when Onstad removed Pat’s Mexican magical realism dong and then put it back

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jerusalem posted:

Everybody knows what the perfect strip to capture the hearts and minds of America with a pilot adaptation would have been :nws:

the spiritual sibling of this strip https://achewood.com/2008/03/03/title.html

Escobarbarian posted:

remember in the Pat gay arc when Onstad removed Pat’s Mexican magical realism dong and then put it back

no, what happened here?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much just what I said. In this strip, Pat had the dong, then Onstad removed it after an initial negative reaction, then reinstated it after an even bigger negative reaction to the removal

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Dreamwheel and The Child

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I think of "You can do whatever you want in life" at least once a day

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
"Our every move is the new tradition" is a hell of a statement, among many other good ones from the Great Outdoor Fight. Which is why GOF was clearly the right arc to try to adapt, if only the infinite money machine that greenlit every project at Netflix hadn't suddenly crashed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Pretty much just what I said. In this strip, Pat had the dong, then Onstad removed it after an initial negative reaction, then reinstated it after an even bigger negative reaction to the removal

Onstad apologizing by saying,"I didn't know how much my audience loved ROCK HARD CAT COCK" always cracks me up.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

It is a truly, truly wonderful line, yeah :)

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

^^^ I'm glad I chose it as my forum thingie

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't even think there was any negative reaction to set it off, dude just wussed out after the comic had been out a couple hours, and then learned how thirsty the internet was for ROCK HARD CAT COCK, yeah.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zefiel posted:

^^^ I'm glad I chose it as my forum thingie

I don't even think there was any negative reaction to set it off, dude just wussed out after the comic had been out a couple hours, and then learned how thirsty the internet was for ROCK HARD CAT COCK, yeah.

That's pretty Onstad, yeah.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

It's probably the Achewood line that lives the fullest life between my brain cheeks.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

RocketMermaid posted:

It's probably the Achewood line that lives the fullest life between my brain cheeks.

For me it's a toss up between "being in trouble is a fake idea" and KOODGE!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The dude running away on fire in the last panel always gets to me :allears:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
External combustion engines are a thing. :colbert:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

PS no cab has been called

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Ugly In The Morning posted:

External combustion engines are a thing. :colbert:

True, but I think putting a steam engine in a car has historically resulted in Koodges anyway.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Youremother posted:

True, but I think putting a steam engine in a car has historically resulted in Koodges anyway.

Remember when Jay Leno nearly burnt his face off? Working on one of his steam cars. (Fuel line let go and sprayed both his face and the pilot light, from what he says. Not directly steam related, but... normal cars don't have a pilot light)

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Escobarbarian posted:

He should've reinstated an even bigger dong :colbert:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

moot the hopple posted:

This is probably the first time he's made a proper living off Achewood that wasn't based off of merchandising and all the headache that comes with fulfillment. I'm happy enough to support him this way.

bare minimum he's making about 168k/year from the Patreon (2800 paying members at 5 bucks a month at the lowest tier) so good on him

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
Anger is a burglar who steals our brains.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
THAT WAS AN ACT OF LOVE YOU SON OF A BITCH!

YOU’LL NEVER KNOW ANYTHING SO BEAUTIFUL!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Smoking Mr. Gary's pole is so beautiful :hmmyes:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Losers don't cook RISOTTO!

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I'd accept 6 months' worth of rent from Elon just to take some insults and get fired.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Nice closer to the story and an appropriately dick move from Elon.

I am overly excited for a classic gently caress You Friday next week!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't think I "get" this strip.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Everything we saw was the truth. Tina "had" a "digital agency" where she hosed Teodor over for a free lunch. Elon Musk started paying Teodor to be the last loser. T has since been fired from both positions, but not before paying his rent. Onstad is a Yellow Submarine-era Beetle for some reason.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Safety Dance posted:

Everything we saw was the truth. Tina "had" a "digital agency" where she hosed Teodor over for a free lunch. Elon Musk started paying Teodor to be the last loser. T has since been fired from both positions, but not before paying his rent. Onstad is a Yellow Submarine-era Beetle for some reason.
So... gently caress him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

At least in the end Musk was an idiot because even after research he picked Teodor, a main guy of risottos.