Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/nextgenplayer/status/1754676038980755811?s=46

Welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That’s not what it says.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
well it's actually a quote! but yeah it's clearly referring to making sure the experience is "cohesive" regardless of which platform you happen to be playing on, not that it's gonna be on every single platform

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

American McGay posted:

That’s not what it says.

I just read the job posting and it does say that

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

What’s the PS6 gon cost if it won’t have a high end console to compete with

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It was probably gonna be $600 no matter what due to ¡INFLATION! but maybe $700?

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

syntaxfunction posted:

I think folks may be forgetting just how much stupid money Microsoft has and how much they are, and have been, willing to burn on the whole vidja games thing.

Uh in the past 5 years, they let Phil and Xbox spend $80+ billion on Zenimax and ABK, and they obviously want a return on that investment immediately not in the distant future, which is why powerful people in MS are probably pushing for multiplatform publishing. A company like MS doesn't get that large by letting stalled segments of their company flounder indefinitely.

mA fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 6, 2024

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My Xbox is making disturbing noises... The blades are back, maybe?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

mA posted:

Uh in the past 5 years, they let Phil and Xbox spend $80+ billion on Zenimax and ABK, and they obviously want a return on that investment immediately not in the distant future, which is why powerful people in MS are probably pushing for multiplatform publishing. A company like MS doesn't get that large by letting stalled segments of their company flounder indefinitely.

yep, its also just terrible timing for them all around. to spend a ton of money on acquisitions in the same year that you don't come close to meeting hardware sales or new gamepass subs was always going to hurt but with rates high right now the entire tech industry is pivoting to aggressive cost cutting and short term ROI.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
Console wars are over.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sony has no games and Xbox will have no console

Nintendo wins by default, unless....is that the Ouya???

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What random toy/game/electronics company could jump in at this point

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Nintendo wins by default
the game was rigged from the start

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

the market is wide open for the Amico now

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Escobarbarian posted:

Microsoft: Infinite Wealth(?)

New thread title contender

Alternatively change the current to "you can't cut back on hardware"

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The Kins posted:

the game was rigged from the start

Reminds me of simpler times playing Jezzball and Chip's Challenge in C:\BOWEP.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Seltzer posted:

Australian Dollar complainers always annoy me because they somehow dont understand that all dollars arent the same. 100 AUD is $64.82 USD

Lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
as we all know, the Australian dollar exchange rate only applies to video games and nothing else, so they should be grateful

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

We should end in a Cyberpunk world using eurodollars, that would be preem

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm, what are Panasonic up to

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I just booted my Xbox and it showed a ps logo with the umad face. hosed up imo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Apple has all the ingredients to be a contender

They have their own processors, hardware, operating systems, top notch marketing, money out the wazoo, a rabid fan base

But for some reason they’re allergic to games, like it’s an executive decision

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I assume it's too risky starting in gaming from scratch when they can just skim points off every sale on the apple store.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

From what I remember hearing, their interest in games historically only last like two months at a time. I recall stories about them contacting Valve and Blizzard and probably a couple of others asking them about ways to make Mac game development better, receiving a laundry list of suggestions and requests, vanishing off the face of the Earth, then returning 6-12 months later to ask them the same question like nothing ever happened.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Death Stranding Director’s Cut is on some iOS devices now

I have no idea why, but they seem to want people to pay £20 for the privilege

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Apples focus on gaming is in the phone space. They got Resident Evil Village with ray tracing playable on iphone. But it still needs some work to be stable.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Apple are historically a lot more of a hardware company than Microsoft, but gaming is a weird space where you need to do both software and hardware pretty well.

Also, they have a lot of investment in silicon, but nothing that's really great for top end gaming I think.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Press Xbox Guide Button to pay respects

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Steve Yun posted:

Apple has all the ingredients to be a contender

They have their own processors, hardware, operating systems, top notch marketing, money out the wazoo, a rabid fan base

For Apple to be a contender, they have to stop changing their dev environment and SDKs every 5 months, and take serious consideration to allowing third party development equipment. I also have... opinions about how they handle industry standard graphics APIs, but then again Sony are in the same boat there so that's not high up in the list of my actual complaints.

As it stands, if you make a game for an Apple platform you have to buy into their hardware upfront and it will stop working later anyway, the only question is when. I got tired of spinning that plate long ago.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 6, 2024

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Why are people freaking out, thinking their existing Xbox library would stop working?

Nothing will be taken away, other platforms will receive more games and some GAAS titles would probably become crossplatform. I would not be sad if I could launch a Halo game in 5 seconds instead of 30 seconds.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

John F Bennett posted:

Why are people freaking out, thinking their existing Xbox library would stop working?

Nothing will be taken away, other platforms will receive more games and some GAAS titles would probably become crossplatform. I would not be sad if I could launch a Halo game in 5 seconds instead of 30 seconds.

The lost revenue from third party games and etc from the xbox will probably kill any hope it will be maintained.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Phil going to pop up at the business zoom and announce they're shutting the servers forever

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

everyone must return their hardware to the nearest microsoft bureau for immediate destruction

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

i’m hearing anyone found harboring illegal xbox hardware will be dragged out onto the street and shot

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Celexi posted:

The lost revenue from third party games and etc from the xbox will probably kill any hope it will be maintained.

Seems to me that gaming revenue for MS would be higher if everything becomes cross-platform?

Xbox should still be the game pass box though, perhaps paired with timed exclusivity or day 1 releases on game pass. Buy TES6 on PS5 for $90 or just get it included on your Game Pass Device.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TES6 is never coming out. Bethesda is a tax deduction now.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Space Jam posted:

i’m hearing anyone found harboring illegal xbox hardware will be dragged out onto the street and shot

first they came for the duke controllers and I did not speak out because I had normal sized hands

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

its time for the mythical ur-platform, all titles from all developers via one streaming service

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my uncle who works at nintendo said so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

John F Bennett posted:

Seems to me that gaming revenue for MS would be higher if everything becomes cross-platform?

Xbox should still be the game pass box though, perhaps paired with timed exclusivity or day 1 releases on game pass. Buy TES6 on PS5 for $90 or just get it included on your Game Pass Device.

lol no the revenue would be lower, starfield doesn't become a good game just because it runs on a ps5 and the last forza motorsports doesn't unfuck itself just because the controller has a touchpad.