Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Speaking of Tekken and ages Feng is only 27 and Dragunov is only 26. That's some Hans Moleman poo poo. I guess a life of Iron Fist Tournaments will do that to you.

Tekken probably has the best fighting game story, which is to say extremely terrible. Maybe MK but I hate time travel and multiverses.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The translations for Azucena's dialogue seem off to me but I'm not a native speaker so I wondered if there were regional idioms at play

Im a native speakers and the translations bug me the gently caress up with Azucena.

Like a native speaker actually wrote her lines but then someone translated it to a different language and then that was translated to english.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im a native speakers and the translations bug me the gently caress up with Azucena.

Like a native speaker actually wrote her lines but then someone translated it to a different language and then that was translated to english.

How do you like her voice acting?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Feng's df3 launcher seems way too safe at -7 for something you can turn into 62 dam. Gonna start throwing it out more

e-df3 range is super small but a b3 is +8 on block, so b3 into that would at worst trade if the opponent jabs. Gonna try that also.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 6, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Seltzer posted:

Feng's df3 launcher seems way too safe at -7 for something you can turn into 62 dam. Gonna start throwing it out more

e-df3 range is super small but a b3 is +8 on block, so b3 into that would at worst trade if the opponent jabs. Gonna try that also.

I didn't realize b3 was plus. That's sick. Glad someone else is playing him. It's cool to exchange ideas. I really love the evasive poking style he's got. It's a natural extension of the kinds of characters I like in 2D games.

Did you play him in older games? Tbh I didn't even know who he was before 8.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

I didn't realize b3 was plus. That's sick. Glad someone else is playing him. It's cool to exchange ideas. I really love the evasive poking style he's got. It's a natural extension of the kinds of characters I like in 2D games.

Did you play him in older games? Tbh I didn't even know who he was before 8.

b3 is a HUGE tool for him this year and it covers a lot of ground too. I played him to an ok level in 7. In 7 I had characters I mained for a big period of time (Kazumi, Negan, Eddy) and then characters I got to know alright (Ling, Steve, Feng, Raven) and then characters I got to know enough to have fun with(Lee, lei, geese, bryan etc). I technically played him in older games a bit, but that was after learning him in 7. Xbox had tt2 and t6 free with gold so I'd use him Eddy and other legacy characters here and there when I wanted to mess around with those games for a t7 break.

A general tip I'd give anyone learning a new character, or refreshing a new character is- Pin the full movelist and use each move in a row to see what they have, then do the same but have the CPU set to opponent actions-standing, opponent actions after a hit or block- block all. This will let you see what strings are natural and which can be blocked and how negative they are. Then run through the list one last time with CPU set to block all to see how negative certain moves are and to see where your good plus frame moves are. It sounds like a lot of effort but its really not.

Also db3 is great but his d4 is also a good poke when you're in their face and his b4 is a very very good poke, it's a super fast mid that cant be punished. I like to use the d4 a lot then throw out the 1+2 extension when theyve been conditioned to just seeing the d4. B4 is a good round ender poke when theyre super low health and have rage. You can mix that with jabs to get that last bit of HP.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 6, 2024

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I did not know Marduk was Australian until people were talking about it in a data mining capacity.... Dude sounds 10000% American lol

I'd always heard that Marduk was originally based on Australian wrestler/actor/former convict Nathan Jones, best known recently for being Rictus Erectus in Mad Max:

As many kung fu flicks as he's been in it checks out and I'm fine if that's just a bit of apocryphal knowledge

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Seltzer posted:

b3 is a HUGE tool for him this year and it covers a lot of ground too. I played him to an ok level in 7. In 7 I had characters I mained for a big period of time (Kazumi, Negan, Eddy) and then characters I got to know alright (Ling, Steve, Feng, Raven) and then characters I got to know enough to have fun with(Lee, lei, geese, bryan etc). I technically played him in older games a bit, but that was after learning him in 7. Xbox had tt2 and t6 free with gold so I'd use him Eddy and other legacy characters here and there when I wanted to mess around with those games for a t7 break.

A general tip I'd give anyone learning a new character, or refreshing a new character is- Pin the full movelist and use each move in a row to see what they have, then do the same but have the CPU set to opponent actions-standing, opponent actions after a hit or block- block all. This will let you see what strings are natural and which can be blocked and how negative they are. Then run through the list one last time with CPU set to block all to see how negative certain moves are and to see where your good plus frame moves are. It sounds like a lot of effort but its really not.

Also db3 is great but his d4 is also a good poke when you're in their face and his b4 is a very very good poke, it's a super fast mid that cant be punished. I like to use the d4 a lot then throw out the 1+2 extension when theyve been conditioned to just seeing the d4. B4 is a good round ender poke when theyre super low health and have rage. You can mix that with jabs to get that last bit of HP.

Thanks I'll keep this stuff in mind.

I get why people obsess about this series now. I feel like there's so much to any given character that player expression is genuinely possible. And it has been pretty easy to go from omg wtf am I doing to having a serviceable strategy. Even KBD isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm far from needing it yet, but I've been doing five or ten minutes of little drills to get like two or three in a row and I can't believe I thought it was some big pain in the rear end thing. Though, I picked Feng because I've always struggled with Tekken movement and he really helps with that, as well.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

poe meater posted:

How do you like her voice acting?

I find her a bit annoying but its her character not the voice that bothers me

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Would not surprise me at all if that's what actually happened. I can easily see them translating original language to Japanese for the subtitles and then doing the English subtitles from the Japanese ones.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nice Van My Man posted:

Speaking of Tekken and ages Feng is only 27 and Dragunov is only 26. That's some Hans Moleman poo poo. I guess a life of Iron Fist Tournaments will do that to you.

Tekken probably has the best fighting game story, which is to say extremely terrible. Maybe MK but I hate time travel and multiverses.

https://twitter.com/Piffy_UwU/status/1694271059514585125

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dragunov simply thinks sunscreen is fake and believes in the power of a good ol' vodka nightcap

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

I don't think everyone speaking their own language is some clever trick, I think Namco just sucks at certain things. Irish characters speaking with English accents, iirc marduk used to have american VA etc. Tekken rules but everything namco does aint great. Fillipinos panned josies VA and Ive seen the same for Shaheen and his arabic which apparently sounds super weird.

Anyways Feng is badass. Definitely gonna be my main focus til Eddy. Also to any new players, he has a lot of great tools that you want in a character but also some really cool higher level slick stuff. A great character to pick up if you dont want to use a boring char like Shaheen but also don't want to commit to a very unique/weird character. Hes got a great i15 launcher, a great i10 punish, a great in between punish (b 1+2), an incredible list of pokes, a good backswing blow (bf1), Good plus frames (b3, ff3 etc.), and his two main stances (shifting clouds and backturned) both have armor now. His two main combo routes aren't that hard either. He ticks all the boxes of good tekken fundamental tools while also having a deep movelist and a lot of stances to play your own unique and tricky way.

When your character is missing a good tekken tool you feel it. For instance Xiaoyus pitiful i10 punishes or with eddy his terrible side step range and very little access to viable + frames. Oh and using Ganryu in t7 was real hard to grasp as he has no i10 jab.

Shaheen speaks a dialect of Arabic that is like if Paul spoke Shakespearean English

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sounds badass

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway all the different languages in Tekken are only slightly more accurate than their depictions of Bear and Jaguar, but it’s still significantly cooler than everyone speaking normal English or Japanese.

Which is why of course the biggest problem in Tekken is that Lars doesn’t speak bad Swedish.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I played in a local tourney tonight and did pretty well. It was dope to play locals instead of randos online, especially in that folks able to give me feedback for what my strengths and weaknesses are and vice versa. Can't wait for next time. This game is so good, its already become my favorite fighting game of all time.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Nice Van My Man posted:

MK had the best story 20 years ago when it was all ninjas and Shaolin monks just mercilessly destroying each other on sight for vengeance, while the Elder Gods schemed and executed their plots over millennia. The modern games that focus on poo poo like estranged family reconciling, Johnny Cage amending his relationship with his daughter or whatever, is like the worst possible route they could have taken it.

Big Bizness fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 6, 2024

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a video guide to hitting electrics on leverless/hitbox? Maybe less the electric, more the dash part with the reset to neutral bit. I'm playing a Junkfood Arcade Micro XL with the "opposing directions = neutral" setting which I believe is the tournament or at least Evo standard right now, and I'm struggling to get the dash consistently.

I'm pretty sure this is a rhythm issue, so if there's a video out there explaining this maybe with like a hand camera or real legible clickclacks when the buttons are pressed that'd be great. While I have played Tekken casually in the past, I never put much time with a Mishima and even if I did, it was on a stick or pad. I've translated most of my movement from stick to leverless no issue but I'm struggling with this specific one (and consecutive ROM-style superjump airdashes in Marvel but that's a different issue)

Maybe there's a leverless-specific shortcut too? I tried doing hold forward for a brief second then piano back to forward, but this felt unreliable, at least the way I was doing it. But even doing it normally for me is unreliable so what do I know.

Also while I'm at it, if there's a similar video for Korean backdashing that would be good.

Any tips is appreciated, thanks!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Symbolic Butt posted:

What the thumbnails were spoiling anyway? I heard a lot about those thumbnails but I'm not sure I saw any of them, like maybe there was one that showed a glimpse of Jun's ending?

I definitely stumbled across a Youtube thumbnail with a picture of (post-credits spoilers) Devil Reina early in the week of 22/01/2024.

One of these is a trained spec ops soldier, the other has been asleep for the past couple of years recuperating and avoiding contact with anyone and everyone.

Sorry I'm a nerd who cares about story no matter how dumb it is so I spoiler out of habit. :shobon:

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 6, 2024

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Artelier posted:

Is there a video guide to hitting electrics on leverless/hitbox? Maybe less the electric, more the dash part with the reset to neutral bit. I'm playing a Junkfood Arcade Micro XL with the "opposing directions = neutral" setting which I believe is the tournament or at least Evo standard right now, and I'm struggling to get the dash consistently.

I'm pretty sure this is a rhythm issue, so if there's a video out there explaining this maybe with like a hand camera or real legible clickclacks when the buttons are pressed that'd be great. While I have played Tekken casually in the past, I never put much time with a Mishima and even if I did, it was on a stick or pad. I've translated most of my movement from stick to leverless no issue but I'm struggling with this specific one (and consecutive ROM-style superjump airdashes in Marvel but that's a different issue)

Maybe there's a leverless-specific shortcut too? I tried doing hold forward for a brief second then piano back to forward, but this felt unreliable, at least the way I was doing it. But even doing it normally for me is unreliable so what do I know.

Also while I'm at it, if there's a similar video for Korean backdashing that would be good.

https://www.hitboxarcade.com/blogs/hit-box/t7-ewgf-on-hit-box

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Khizan posted:

Would not surprise me at all if that's what actually happened. I can easily see them translating original language to Japanese for the subtitles and then doing the English subtitles from the Japanese ones.

Claudio speaks perfect Jojo Italian.
The VA is great, the lines are nonsense

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Artelier posted:

For KBD you can use the socd method: hold back, tap down, tap forward, alternate these with a clean release while holding back. Start slow, practice with attention. Note that the motion can be pretty rough on untrained fingers. So practice in short bouts, slowly and with attention to avoid injury to your tendons.

I'm not sure what you mean with the dash, ewgf is just from a single forward tap; to dash ewgf you just double tap forward. Note that you cannot do a perfect ewgf if you dash. If you mean wavedashing, that is somewhat a separate skill that needs to be practiced separately. The motion is f,n,qcf and there are no good shortcuts for it (there's a speed trick, but I'd consider really only good for showing off.)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Let us dress Sugar up in different dog clothes Harada you loving coward.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So a mini News Years resolution for me was "git good at a fighting game". I've always just managed to learn a 3 hit combo for a guy and then spam it to get through whatever story mode the game has, but I'm trying to be better and be semi-decent online. Should I play on Special Mode until I get a hang of the rhythm, or is that just going to teach me bad habits? Been probably going 50/50 being a Special Boy.

Also maybe I missed it but is there a SA Discord I can go if I want to feel inadequate?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Special mode bad because it covers like a third of the screen in a menu

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

GigaPeon posted:

So a mini News Years resolution for me was "git good at a fighting game". I've always just managed to learn a 3 hit combo for a guy and then spam it to get through whatever story mode the game has, but I'm trying to be better and be semi-decent online. Should I play on Special Mode until I get a hang of the rhythm, or is that just going to teach me bad habits? Been probably going 50/50 being a Special Boy.

Also maybe I missed it but is there a SA Discord I can go if I want to feel inadequate?

Do not touch special mode at all. Seriously. It's trash to make people first picking up the game feel cool for doing big moves against the cpu

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GigaPeon posted:

Special mode isn't like Modern in SF6, the only thing it'll teach you is spacing and timing. Which is fine for a few matches I guess, but you should move on from it very quickly because every character is built around a unique offensive strategy and special mode won't let you access the tools you need to accomplish it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is 70k online prowess a sticking point for anyone else? Can't get myself higher than that

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Special mode isn't like Modern in SF6, the only thing it'll teach you is spacing and timing. Which is fine for a few matches I guess, but you should move on from it very quickly because every character is built around a unique offensive strategy and special mode won't let you access the tools you need to accomplish it.

Dang alright, back to the Ghost Arcade for me...

Speaking of which, how decent are the Ghosts really when emulating real players?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ironically it seems like Special Mode will find its true potential in pros using it for extreme edge case scenarios lol

https://twitter.com/unjekill/status/1754187430482350578

#xiaoneta
If you use Special Style (SS), you can perform a series of challenging attacks with one button: ``16F'' from standing and ``17F'' from crouching. Effective against "lower floors of -17 to 19F where 9LK is difficult to reach when guarding". It takes some skill to input, but once you get used to it, you can even ``turn on SS for a moment and cancel immediately''.

Bored Grunt
Nov 8, 2009

It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain
For those that have pulled off the EWGF grind, is it worth it? Coming up on 20 hours in the game and most of that has been on Reina. I'm at the point I can pull it off maybe 5 times in practice and then lose the rhythm for the next 20 attempts. Not sure I'll ever be able to use it reliably in multi.

I really like Reina, but getting discouraged and thinking I might be better off learning advanced combos on an easier (mechanic wise) character.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GigaPeon posted:

Dang alright, back to the Ghost Arcade for me...

Speaking of which, how decent are the Ghosts really when emulating real players?

They'll use the same moves but they have weaker fundamentals. Still very convenient practice for learning to counter movesets that got you stunlocked the first time you faced them

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Bored Grunt posted:

For those that have pulled off the EWGF grind, is it worth it? Coming up on 20 hours in the game and most of that has been on Reina. I'm at the point I can pull it off maybe 5 times in practice and then lose the rhythm for the next 20 attempts. Not sure I'll ever be able to use it reliably in multi.

I really like Reina, but getting discouraged and thinking I might be better off learning advanced combos on an easier (mechanic wise) character.

You dont need it. You will need to be able to do hellsweeps though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Story mode was great but honestly the best part of it was them giving Dragunov an in-universe reason to crawl into a fight. Absolutely broke me.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Bored Grunt posted:

If you want to actually get good with Reina and play her against good players, you will need electrics. 100%. Right now you can kinda unga-bunga people with her stance mixups, but a month from now this won't work past the early ranks. You will need solid neutral fundamentals and the ewgf is an near essential tool for her there.

20 hours is nothing though and that does make me want to ask: how much do you intend to play? how much have you played of previous Tekken games? The ewgf is one of those things that takes some actual dedicated practice. Some people have better fine motor control than others, they might get them down reasonably in a 2-3 weeks of daily practice, others take months. And doing them in practice mode is quite a different thing that doing them in an actual game too. You need to be able to enjoy that sort of practice and dedication. If you want to just play some chill, casual Tekken, that is fine too, and you can even do that with Reina if you want. But ewgf is probably not a route you want to go down then.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 7, 2024

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Orv posted:

Story mode was great but honestly the best part of it was them giving Dragunov an in-universe reason to crawl into a fight. Absolutely broke me.

Yeah this bit was really good

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

spiritual bypass posted:

Is 70k online prowess a sticking point for anyone else? Can't get myself higher than that

I had about an 80% win rate until I got to around 120, where I immediately dropped to going 50-50 and forever being just out of reach of my old beloved/reviled Mighty Ruler rank, where I remember spending a real long time being stuck in 7.

Bored Grunt
Nov 8, 2009

It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain

Autsj posted:

20 hours is nothing though and that does make me want to ask: how much do you intend to play? how much have you played of previous Tekken games? The ewgf is one of those things that takes some actual dedicated practice. Some people have better fine motor control than others, they might get them down reasonably in a 2-3 weeks of daily practice, others take months. And doing them in practice mode is quite a different thing that doing them in an actual game too. You need to be able to enjoy that sort of practice and dedication. If you want to just play some chill, casual Tekken, that is fine too, and you can even do that with Reina if you want. But ewgf is probably not a route you want to go down then.

Most played was 7 but casual, played some of the previous games far less. I'd like to put some effort into 8 and see how far I can go but I'm leaning towards picking a character that isn't going to kill my hands after a few hours of play. I liked Reina because I could play very aggressive with her. Have any recommendations on a characters to try that might feel similar but without the wavedash/EWGF?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Bored Grunt posted:

Most played was 7 but casual, played some of the previous games far less. I'd like to put some effort into 8 and see how far I can go but I'm leaning towards picking a character that isn't going to kill my hands after a few hours of play. I liked Reina because I could play very aggressive with her. Have any recommendations on a characters to try that might feel similar but without the wavedash/EWGF?

Pretty much the majority of the cast has way less execution requirements than the mishimas. I think only the mishimas and jin have a wavedash this edition (I think they might have gave the bears one)? You should be good with most other characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Bored Grunt posted:

Dragonuv if you want aggression. Also not at all bad picks could be Victor, Azucena, Leo, and Leroy. Paul is never a bad pick. Possibilities that will eventually include some real practice but can go far before: Nina, Jin.

Since I haven't seen him dropped in the thread yet I'd like to add Rooflemongers character guide video in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEDLRTOjxcA He put in some real work to highlight what is cool about a character including some legacy info and bits beyond the typical content mill guides that go around. Might give you some ideas, and honestly I had fun watching it regardless.

I also don't want to fully discourage you from Reina, Tekken is best enjoyed with a character that you really like. But she is going require real work past a certain point.

Edit: Totally forgot to give Hwoarang a special mention. If you want to press a lot of buttons while switching between stances, that is Hwoarang. He murders newer players and half of the experienced players too because people rarely know exactly what he is going to do next. Problem is, that might also be true of the Hwoarang player themselves because getting his poo poo organised in your head is a bit of a project. He's not "hard" generally, but might not be the smoothest learning curve. But the potential flavour is there.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 7, 2024