Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
China has flooded the world with cars. It’s hurting everyone

China continues to cheat the system by doing stuff like 'investing in industry' and 'developing better battery technology'

quote:

China identified EVs as a sector of strategic interest in the early 2000s, when it realised that Western auto companies’ dominance of internal combustion engines and Japan’s dominance of hybrids gave them a lead too substantial for its own immature industry to challenge.

So it decided to take a leap into the future and get ahead of the established industry by investing in EVs and their supply chain, the most significant components of which were critical minerals and battery technologies.

It was a whole-of-government approach, with central and local government incentives for the manufacturers, access to cheap land, financing and critical minerals, consumer incentives and procurement policies that saw government bus and car fleets required to be early adopters to drive scale.

China’s dominance of the critical minerals vital for EVs, its lead in battery technologies and the scale of its domestic market means that, if allowed to compete freely, it would almost certainly overwhelm domestic EV manufacturers elsewhere.

It is a wasteful but successful recipe; one used earlier to create China’s dominance of solar energy manufacturing.

It attracts massive-over investment and excess capacity but leverages China’s dominance of raw materials, their processing, its low-cost structures and its authoritarian political system to create strategic industries with global competitive advantages.

quote:

[Western policymakers] are doing everything they can to ensure China can’t compete freely and, they would argue, unfairly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ChinaDaily/status/1754697565931815256?s=20

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

China has flooded the world with cars. It’s hurting everyone

China continues to cheat the system by doing stuff like 'investing in industry' and 'developing better battery technology'

lol yeah its china that forced the world to have too many cars

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/orikron/status/1754575951743066209

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

It would literally (as in precisely) make more sense for you to put the US there. What's the incident rate per capita of police brutality in China anyway?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

personally stuff like that is the most visual/demonstrative example of why China is a dictatorship

(of the proletariat)

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

thechosenone posted:

It would literally (as in precisely) make more sense for you to put the US there. What's the incident rate per capita of police brutality in China anyway?

It's right there, they're citizen focused and less militaristic.

Thankfully service guarantees citizenship, so we only have to worry about troops and cops while we focus on reducing the number of freeloaders that take resources away from those true citizens.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

wish that was my country

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Inter-war Soviet Union continuing to rack up Ws

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

that’s about right. every law degree comes with a free serving of liberal indoctrination

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

oscarthewilde posted:

that’s about right. every law degree comes with a free serving of liberal indoctrination

what gets me about poo poo like this is that you don't have to be a marxist or otherwise challenge liberal orthodoxy to see how absurd it is. "US police are concerned with serving the community, compared to western European police who are more militarised and care less about making people happy" (not saying euros don't have brutal police, but trying to make them seem worse than the US is not aligned with western liberalism) is something that should make no sense at all to the average moderate/progressive type who has turned on a TV in the last 20 years, but somehow stuff like this still gets published. I guess anything in a textbook can be laundered through the cult of the expert.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Explaining to a Florida client that it wasn't authoritarian, but Asian policing responsible for when they were arrested for seeking hormone therapy for their child, as there isn't any restriction against it in the bible.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The idea that Asian societies lack individuality and innovative capacity has always just been cope from racists angry that Europe didn’t have a river valley civilization and was a backwater until the invention of the caravel and started looting the rest of the world

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 13:01 on Feb 6, 2024

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it was mentioned earlier but I’ll try again: anyone know a great book on the Sino Soviet split?

this was just posted in the scanned books thread, haven't read it myself

Enver Zogha posted:

* Peking and Moscow (1963 work giving background on Sino-Soviet split

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://time.com/6663747/pakistan-imran-khan-election-democracy-us/

quote:

In the near term, however, from the U.S. perspective Sharif is a safe, predictable pair of hands who won’t rock the boat with India. “The State Department seems to be quite comfortable with Nawaz Sharif,” says Tariq Amin-Khan, a politics professor at Toronto Metropolitan University. But Sharif’s record on the economy is poor and reputation for graft “really quite legendary,” adds Amin-Khan. Since the turn of the millennium, per capita GDP in Pakistan has risen by an average of just 1% annually. In 2000, the average Pakistani was some 50% richer than his Indian counterpart; today, they are 25% poorer. Headline inflation rose to 29.7% year-over-year in December owing to tax hikes and a sharp fall in the currency.

The risk is that a spiraling economy overseen by a government that lacks broad popular support would set the stage for significant social unrest—chances of which would be amplified by interference with the actual voting process. The PTI is refusing to give up and has managed to register candidates for the vast majority of constituencies. With the PTI logo banned, the party has set up an online portal to show supporters which officially independent candidate has its backing. “Give me a free and fair election and I think we will run away with three-quarters [of seats] if not more,” says Raoof Hasan, PTI’s principal spokesman and a former special assistant to Khan.

Various opinion polls put Khan’s popularity at around 60% to 80% and the threat of a strong showing from his supporters may prompt the military to take more decisive action to hobble them. “The election as it is set up is already not free nor fair,” says Afzal. “The only question, in my view, is if there is overt rigging on election day.”

Street violence and any security response would, above all, make it more difficult to secure another IMF bailout—one deemed essential to avoid default and potential economic collapse. “My greatest fear is that this election is going to be called out for being a sham,” says Anita Weiss, a professor of international studies at the University of Oregon. “And there will be riots all over Pakistan that it can barely endure because of the severe economic crisis.”

lol gently caress you, lady

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/michaelxpettis/status/1754740296066171298

the smartest china watcher: the stock market is the true measure of the economy not like electricity consumption or steel production which only increases gdp

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Only tank production capacity matters.

Or, PMI, electricity consumption, steel production. Anything but stock market.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Maybe that's why Pelosi hates the PRC so much

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CSPAM: GDP isn't the economy, which is why Russia is winning in Ukraine

Michael Penis: GDP isn't the economy, which is why China is doomed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
cross-posting from Doomsday Econ:

webcams for christ posted:

from earlier this morning:

lol they're already at 5nm

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Danann posted:

the smartest china watcher: the stock market is the true measure of the economy not like electricity consumption or steel production which only increases gdp

Incredible minds meeting there, the Abenomics stan and the Xi Jinping thought hater. May they post together forever

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Honestly it's been a marketing term for a while, but yeah their processes are probably ahead of the US (mainly because they're actually being diligent instead of just using monopoly to take in profits).

Very annoying, but that's what happens when one lives in a nation with a mode of production hellbent on ruining stuff for everyone.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

gradenko_2000 posted:

The USSR saw Concorde and made (or stole) their own SST design too, with dubious results and an enormous price tag attached. The Buran shuttle had a similar record. Seems like putting economic pressure on research sectors run by centrally planned economies is running the same course once again? Semiconductor tech is the new aerospace.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The USSR saw Concorde and made (or stole) their own SST design too, with dubious results and an enormous price tag attached. The Buran shuttle had a similar record. Seems like putting economic pressure on research sectors run by centrally planned economies is running the same course once again? Semiconductor tech is the new aerospace.

syq

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Danann posted:

This is not what I meant when I said GDP is not a terrific measure of the real economy

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

lol, the Tu-144 was also iced out of international cooperation that the Soviets had requested. Almost looks like it's less that central planning is at fault for driving up costs and instead that the West uses economic sanctions to prevent competition.

Buran was the far better design of shuttle. It's simply that space shuttles suck, and the Soviets knew from the beginning that was true, but thought there must be a good secret military reason America was continuing with their lovely design. There wasn't. So they shut the program down after the maiden voyage. Unlike the Yanks who bent to sunk-costs

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Aerospace is also the new aerospace, tbf. Russia saying "we have hypersonics" and China saying "we're close to 'hypersonics'". Meanwhile, NATO is furiously developing actual hypersonics. It's the F15 all over again.

Ars Technica comments on any China story are fantastic

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
tbh i don't think a fully maneuverable hypersonic vehicle is possible without much stronger materials

it seems like the temps and forces are just too high at those speeds for air to be contacting in the way it needs to for maneuverability in any kinda atmospheric flight at not-space-shuttle altitudes like sub 150k feet like boeing and lockheed keep trying to convince people they can do

the airflow changes with how fast you're going relative to the speed of sound, like some speeds will cause problems then others don't bc it's going different speeds over the body but makes a shockwave at mach 1 so the whole thing needs to pass the speed of sound at once or it'll tear itself apart from the shockwave its a lot of why supersonic stuffs all super long with the delta wing shape, short stuff has too unstable wave lengths along the bodywork & gets mach tuck stuff rly easy and other problems

you can prolly design for that at hypersonic speeds too on paper but you can't control the air pressure temp or speed and that changes what the airs gonna do, at hypersonic speed something will cover do much ground so fast you couldn't realistically measure it if it's not a predetermined path
i bet once something's hypersonic no matter what it's doing some of the airflow starts buffeting too much and fucks up heat xfer & pressure dissipation and stuff and shreds it super fast but they think china and russia are stupid and can 'only' figure out how to stall the airflow & glide

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China actually built a hypersonic capable wind tunnel to test this stuff.

https://newatlas.com/aircraft/china-jf22-hypersonic-wind-tunnel/

I haven't heard US hypersonic news in a while so I don't know where their progress is.

Concorde was basically a status symbol for the capital class, of course it doesn't make sense for the Soviet.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 08:55 on Feb 7, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Only tank production capacity matters.

Or, PMI, electricity consumption, steel production. Anything but stock market.

Tankieconomist

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
My grandad built Concorde, and everything he DIY'd at home was built from aircraft grade aluminium he stole from work. Now that's capitalist efficiency.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The shuttle was built to scoop up Soviet spy satellites and there were at least a few missions to attempt this but in all likelihood it was a lot more difficult to do than it sounded and both the shuttle (and the Buran which was a response) were sort of pointless.

The shuttle was kept around a while for functional reasons but there was a clear reason why Bush killed it out of seemingly out of nowhere.

-------------

There is a big deal made that SMIC is still using AMSL equipment, but 5nm is only going to be possible with significant modification and the Chinese clearly have been building their own lithographic tech in the background for years. The West may only be 1-2 years ahead of China at this point.

The real fear of the West about losing Taiwan isn't the Chinese are going to reverse engineer the equipment but there would be a massive chip shortage and the PRC would have them by their short hairs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
concorde is a stupidly advanced plane for its time, it's basically the su-27 of airliners in terms of aero magic

unfortunately, it still uses way too much fuel to go fastly making it very expensive to fly, so after all the customers died in 9/11 it was retired

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

concorde is a stupidly advanced plane for its time, it's basically the su-27 of airliners in terms of aero magic

unfortunately, it still uses way too much fuel to go fastly making it very expensive to fly, so after all the customers died in 9/11 it was retired

doing 9/11 with a concorde would have been incredible

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The space shuttle failed at its most primary mission: looking cool and awesome to advertise to the world American's superior "next gen" power. Instead of looking like a lion, it looked like a camel.

I heard what SMIC is using to fab 5nm semiconductor are less advanced DUV equipments, which were previously allowed to import and were only put on the ban list last year. They basically said gently caress it there is no warranty and support from ASML anyway, let's do crazy liquid cooling overclocking poo poo to make the tools to do things they were not designed to do.

The fact that they announce it instead of keeping it down low suggests there are domestic lithographic replacements coming online soon.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 12:32 on Feb 7, 2024

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Everything is going according to plan. The West is tricking China into making smaller and smaller chips. Soon, they will attempt 0nm architecture, which will collapse the country into a singularity, ending communism forever.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

doing 9/11 with a concorde would have been incredible

A second plane has hit the towers... and in drat good time

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I liked the space shuttle :(

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
same