Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I first saw Jodie Foster making movies in the mid-70s (the kid-friendly movies) and while she was a teenager then, and I was still in grade school, she looked like a kid, to my kid eyes. I saw her as a fellow child back then.

Later she went on to become one of the great actors of our time IMO, and has also directed some stuff. So Jodie is a kind of a personal hero of mine.

All this to get down to the purpose of my shitpost:

I’m embarrassed that she was wasted in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
You know I think after watching the last couple episodes I'm changing my mystery answer from thawing bacteria driving people crazy to some kind of ice-cave based Havana syndrome. Maybe it's a magnetic field or low- or high-frequency sounds, but I think the bacteria angle is too easy.

muscles like this! posted:

Navarro's sister being found instantly is kind of bizarre.

That was jarring to me too. I just chalked it up to lazy storytelling and a six episode time limit.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I think Jodie Foster has been doing some mighty fine AC-Ting, especially this last episode when she was playing drunk.

She does pull off that manic, part time mommy tough and not-too-good cop thing.

Her character is just kind of an rear end in a top hat.

It would be great if the state autopsy transfer thing that she tried to delay comes back immediately and the cause of death is some kind of acute chemical brain toxin (from the polluted water or bacteria, I don't care.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The next episode will reveal that Danver's family died when their car crashed into a drunken polar bear ghost and that'll explain everything.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
The show's thesis is clearly that Alaska is a mental illness. The series will end with Peter and Kayla taking their kid and Leah and leaving Alaska while the rest of the cast succumb to the madness.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

koolkal posted:

The show's thesis is clearly that Alaska is a mental illness.

And the power outages are electroshock treatment icic

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

right arm posted:

no ice caves. no, ice caves

LMBO

Another thought: What were the writers thinking when they had Danvers throw the toy out the door? Why is sentimentality for keepsakes the same as superstitious beliefs? And is the fact that it's a toy polar bear supposed to be meaningful?

Is the polar bear the one whose awakened?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Whale Vomit posted:

Another thought: What were the writers thinking when they had Danvers throw the toy out the door? Why is sentimentality for keepsakes the same as superstitious beliefs? And is the fact that it's a toy polar bear supposed to be meaningful?

IMO she did it because she was caught out. Danvers does secretly believe in ghosts and spirits, despite all her protestations otherwise, and a lot of this is wrapped up in her inability to process exactly what happened to Twist And Shout Guy. (I'm a bit more shakey on this, but Navarro says that the stuffed bear came from the crime scene, yeah?)

Danvers can't acknowledge that spirits exist, partly because she thinks that's a sign of weakness, but partly because she'd have to acknowledge that her closest brush with the supernatural happened on a day whose events she's otherwise seriously repressed.

Chucking away the bear is an ostentatious demonstration that she doesn't care, she never cared, and she's definitely not still being haunted by that day, gently caress you for thinking otherwise. What hallucinations? Double gently caress you.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Open Source Idiom posted:

IMO she did it because she was caught out. Danvers does secretly believe in ghosts and spirits, despite all her protestations otherwise, and a lot of this is wrapped up in her inability to process exactly what happened to Twist And Shout Guy. (I'm a bit more shakey on this, but Navarro says that the stuffed bear came from the crime scene, yeah?)

Danvers can't acknowledge that spirits exist, partly because she thinks that's a sign of weakness, but partly because she'd have to acknowledge that her closest brush with the supernatural happened on a day whose events she's otherwise seriously repressed.

Chucking away the bear is an ostentatious demonstration that she doesn't care, she never cared, and she's definitely not still being haunted by that day, gently caress you for thinking otherwise. What hallucinations? Double gently caress you.

The polar bear was her dead son's. I'm not surprised people are missing this since I honestly believe they didn't say the kid's name (Holden) before this episode when they said it twice in this episode. Navarro freaks out when she sees it because she slipped on the ice and had a drat vision-quest where a kid holding the stuffed bear asked her to "save his mommy".

This episode revealed that Danvers's son and husband died before she even came to Ennis (Dr. Who says she became more of an rear end in a top hat after [one name] and [another name] died). The bear was her son's and it showed she had sentimentality. They are hiding the fate of her husband and son, as well as what happened when they confronted that wife-beater for some reason.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah the way they pidgeonheld Danvers tragic past seems off given the time the show is more or less wasted

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
All these things probably seemed to work very well in the writers' room sketching out the season. There is a post-it with HOLDEN on the wall clearly showing his place in the history and development of Danvers with everything else but we get so little information it gets lost.

Maybe it's the Night Country that's to blame, the dark shrouding everything. In Monsieur Spade there is a somewhat similar story with the death of six people in episode 1, a large cast of mostly terrible people bearing horrible secrets. But it's filmed in this gorgeous French environment to balance the dread and horror.
Even season 1 Lousiana was beautiful compared to Ennis which is ugly buildings at night. I'm sure the cinematographer has done stellar work to make it look like it does but there is only so much that can be done with what they are given.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Why the jump to Friday night instead of Sunday??

Anyways

Before this episode I was considering the idea of "she's awake" being about the polar bear ...

But now I guess "she" is a ghost

or she is the Night Country aka Alaska during the winter aka a native goddess or something as depicted in all the spooky drawings from throughout the season so far;

We got 2 more this episode -

Danver's daughter's room seemed to have a drawing of a scary thing on one of the walls

And the interior of the dredge had some sort of spider monster drawn on a wall

What are dredges in this context? A mining thing? A fishing thing?

I think I'm changing my guess to infrasound frequencies from katabatic winds or mining equipment interacting with cave acoustics in an Arctic mountain range making people lose their minds as the mundane explanation for the ghostly business we keep seeing vs the ep 1 virus prediction

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The deadwood side kick acting as the town cuck, again, is very funny to me.

Glad he’s getting work.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Watched a lot of Gold Rush Alaska the dredges might be used to build a port at ennis or large dredge like machines were used in mining. Could be a combo of the two because the alaskan rivers deposit a lot of gold in their sediment. Alaska has a bunch of these giant dredge like machines from gold rush times just rotting in the middle of nowhere.

Despera fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 6, 2024

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I have very much enjoyed this season in spite of the way too obvious music choices. I didn't really like S2 or S3, though I really, really wanted to.

But if this doesn't end up being a legit supernatural thing of some kind, I will be so loving mad.

This really feels like somebody pitched a show called "Night Country," and the HBO execs were like "Okay, we like this, but what if it was True Detective?"

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

This reminds me of a typical show for AMC, not HBO

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 6, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Digital Prophet posted:

This really feels like somebody pitched a show called "Night Country," and the HBO execs were like "Okay, we like this, but what if it was True Detective?"

This is literally exactly what happened!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Watching the season made me go back and watch the X-Files episode “Ice” last night, and so there’s at least one top tier episode that this season has provided for me!

muscles like this! posted:

Navarro's sister being found instantly is kind of bizarre.

I think the season trying to do one episode a day doesn’t help, it makes a lot of things seem really rushed.

wolfs posted:

Why the jump to Friday night instead of Sunday??

Super Bowl this Sunday.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Watching the season made me go back and watch the X-Files episode “Ice” last night, and so there’s at least one top tier episode that this season has provided for me!

I think the season trying to do one episode a day doesn’t help, it makes a lot of things seem really rushed.

Super Bowl this Sunday.
yeah you could probably put together a little list of alternatives to watching TD season 4 like:
X-Files episode “Ice
The Terror s1
Fortitude s1-s3
e: Monsieur Spade

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Glad he’s getting work.

John Hawkes works a lot, he’s a well-respected actor. Even has an Oscar nomination.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Fortitude s1-s3

Do it do it do it.

The way everyone talks about it is actually a spoiler for the first season of the show, so maybe don't look up too much about it if you're planning on watching it. It's a wild, great show, the first season is a murder mystery that gets solved at the end, but it goes absolutely loving wild after that, and the pace speeds the gently caress up and it becomes a fast paced thriller with some really excellent (tv) action sequences.

It's very funny, got a great sense of humour about how weird the town is and how ill equipped the police force is to deal with even small problems, but it's also got a good sense of horror about things, and the humour becomes darker and darker as the situation escalates.

There are some great performances too.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

What if the missing girl is inside the polar bear. She was never killed, she just decided to live her life as a polar bear so she's been meandering around the tundra on all fours wearing polar bear skin.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

tbf in Deadwood, he does end up winning the girl.

Scrotum Modem posted:

This reminds me of a typical show for AMC, not HBO

Would agree with this, with the exception that the cast elevates it so an HBO affair imo.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

What if the missing girl is inside the polar bear. She was never killed, she just decided to live her life as a polar bear so she's been meandering around the tundra on all fours wearing polar bear skin.

The show has been a secret gritty Animorphs adaptation this whole time.

I still don’t get why Danvers is upset that Eccleston is taking the scientist case away from her when she hasn’t really worked on it. The most she’s done with those bodies is accidentally learn they didn’t freeze to death from a veterinarian who she didn’t even know was going to be there. She seems much more interested in the Annie K case which I assume will still be hers anyway

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
For a town where many residents may well believe in what we consider supernatural, nobody is really panicking when a whole group of people rips their eyes out and freezes to death while still screaming, at least one of them marked by what at least one person identifies as an ancient powerful symbol.

Like in other movies and shows townspeople are too scared to leave the house if a shady drifter has been spotted in the woods.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
When they inevitably get to the cave Annie K’s ghost is going to lead them to the Source of all of this. Then Danvers will have to Believe, right? But she won’t fully, because True Detective.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I want a True Detective theme that's just the Canyonero song with the words 'True Detective' belted out.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
After a pretty cool first episode, every episode since has just been so boring? So disappointing

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

After a pretty cool first episode, every episode since has just been so boring? So disappointing

I mean I thought the first episode was outright bad. The opening alone felt like some low budget Netflix horror show.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The recurring bit in this thread where goons can't understand basic plot points or symbolism or retain simple information about the characters, and then use that as a basis to criticize the show is pretty hilarious.

Overall I'm enjoying the show. I think it's pretty good television, but not top tier.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Seldom Posts posted:

The recurring bit in this thread where goons can't understand basic plot points or symbolism or retain simple information about the characters, and then use that as a basis to criticize the show is pretty hilarious.

Overall I'm enjoying the show. I think it's pretty good television, but not top tier.

naw I'm following along fine its just shallow and lovely. thats OK I will keep watching that garbage.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I promise you that you don't have to keep watching the show you hate. You have that power.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the ice represents ice

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Sickening posted:

I promise you that you don't have to keep watching the show you hate. You have that power.

People always say this, but then also get mad if someone didn’t finish the show and says it was bad.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cranappleberry posted:

the ice represents ICE

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

Seldom Posts posted:

I was surprised to see so many people confused about Danvers kid and husband. Earlier in the thread someone complained about something in the show being very on the nose like "do they think we need it spelled out for us?!" Yeah man, probably haha. I guess one criticism the show could have is for some people it's so disjointed or boring that key information for the show's mysteries is easy to forget.

Sickening posted:

There's enjoyment in watching something that you think is a trainwreck! Besides, there's only 2 episodes left, might as well stay for the long haul.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Is the latest episode even worth watching right now other than together with the next one when if it's good? I have a bit less time this week. Only enough for sh*tposting.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
The real move is to just wait for the show to finish and then read the synopsis on Wikipedia

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

HermitSupplier posted:

The real move is to just wait for the show to finish and then read the synopsis on Wikipedia

I did that for this episode. It seems like there's some development in the story but not really any scenes that sound like I'd get a kick out of.

Suicide. Meltdown. Remembering dead family. Woman getting beaten. I'll watch all of that if it's well done but probably not an episode of just that and some plot movement via off-screen stuff.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

it's schlocky lovely tv to watch for fun while hanging out with your friends/family/posting pals, not everything has to be high art, people like watching lovely tv!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Seldom Posts posted:

Yeah I don't quite get the negativity around the show but to each their own of course. I'm liking it. Probably won't be in my top shows for the year but it's way better than just "something to fill the time" TV.