Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Aramis posted:

One wrinkle here is that I wouldn't be surprised if TiKTok relies on ISP-level caching deals to provide that kind of UX. I'm not convinced the App can even work at scale as designed without that kind of cooperation.

With the way modern cloud stuff works, not so much, you can setup caching in multi-region zones that make such an ISP level cache unnecessary. Back in the day, yeah, for sure you needed such (Netflix and Google both had caches like that in regional ISP Datacenters), but now you can just stand that up anywhere.

Tiktok has moved most of their stuff to cloud native (serverless, containerized, etc.) that they can spin up rapidly nearly anywhere there's a cloud provider of their choice, and the trunks to most of those cloud providers are easily on the same scale as your ISPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

CommieGIR posted:

No, my point stands - Comcast has tried banning sites before, but you can get around it with a DNS substation

Okay you keep saying "DNS substation." I thought you were trying to say "substitution" but apparently you think "DNS substation" is a real term, and I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

CommieGIR posted:

However, like you said, they can capture and track that still, but its unlikely they do anything with it

Unlikely they do anything with it? Comcast is notorious for outright breaking client-side DNS servers on their network due to how much they mangle that traffic. Mostly thanks to their "Security Edge" bullshit.

CommieGIR posted:

I do cybersecurity for a living, thanks.

Doubtful, or if you do, considering everything above you're not terribly experienced. (You also don't really know who you're talking to, either. :D)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Accipiter posted:

Doubtful, or if you do, considering everything above you're not terribly experienced. (You also don't really know who you're talking to, either. :D)

Well then we can just agree to disagree ;)

Accipiter posted:

Okay you keep saying "DNS substation." I thought you were trying to say "substitution" but apparently you think "DNS substation" is a real term, and I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

No that's just my autocorrect messing me up.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is her implication here that he's sucking dick in the Capitol building john? Pretty spicy stuff if so

No, he just takes really long poops.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

He's probably just using the stall to browse the LOL Trump thread

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Batterypowered7 posted:

No, he just takes really long poops.

This is acceptable as long as the stance isn't too wide

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Accipiter posted:

(You also don't really know who you're talking to, either. :D)

lmfao

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stand aside everyone! I take long poops.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

With the way modern cloud stuff works, not so much, you can setup caching in multi-region zones that make such an ISP level cache unnecessary. Back in the day, yeah, for sure you needed such (Netflix and Google both had caches like that in regional ISP Datacenters), but now you can just stand that up anywhere.

Tiktok has moved most of their stuff to cloud native (serverless, containerized, etc.) that they can spin up rapidly nearly anywhere there's a cloud provider of their choice, and the trunks to most of those cloud providers are easily on the same scale as your ISPs.

All that modern cloud stuff is basically the same thing as the Google/Netflix caches. They are just effectively pre-negotiated by the cloud providers. https://peering.google.com/#/infrastructure gives a good overview of Google's setup.

Whether it's with explicit deals or via a cloud provider, my point stands that TikTok without edge caching would be tough, and the government absolutely can twist cloud providers' arms as well as they can ISPs', at least as far as state-side servers go.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 6, 2024

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

I prefer to leave them in the toilet, but you do you.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Winkle-Daddy posted:

DoH/DoT is just a switch you turn on in modern browsers. not sure why you're acting like it's a whole thing to encrypt DNS traffic.

It's not a "whole thing." It's dead easy if you have a browser that supports it. But it's also not the same as changing your DNS server in your OS network settings - and that only affects lookups from that browser only rather than the entire system.

I don't use any of that poo poo because if it's not your ISP logging your DNS activity, it's something like CloudFlare. I run my own internal DNS server with an internal view for internal servers, and an external view proxied over a tunnel to an external private datacenter-hosted server which is where my DNS requests actually hit the internet.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1754883119717462337

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Aramis posted:

All that modern cloud stuff is basically the same thing as the Google/Netflix caches. They are just effectively pre-negotiated by the cloud providers. https://peering.google.com/#/infrastructure gives a good overview of Google's setup.

Whether it's with explicit deals or via a cloud provider, my point stands that TikTok without edge caching would be tough, and the government absolutely can twist cloud providers' arms as well as they can ISPs', at least as far as state-side servers go.

True, but given we don't even have total enforcement against a broad amount of things that are hosted on Cloud Providers that are likely not supposed to be there, I have my doubts.

Oh no, anyways...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nocheez posted:

I prefer to leave them in the toilet, but you do you.

Much like your posts :smugdon:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Data Graham posted:

How many meters are we talking?

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is her implication here that he's sucking dick in the Capitol building john? Pretty spicy stuff if so

I'm also curious about what she's trying to say here? Is she just saying that he puts his coat on the floor? What does that mean? Is it a sex thing? Is it just gross? Where is she going with this?

RandExt
Jun 1, 2023

:roflolmao::lol::lol::lol:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Hahahahaha. Looks like Nikki Haley '24.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

that's a lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Which immunity appeal was that for? Isn't there also one before the SC?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Open the chud gates

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

redshirt posted:

They specifically leave this order stayed until the 12th of Feb for them to appeal to the SC, so Trump will probably keep pushing that boulder uphill.

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?
America, please honor Toby Keith by living the way he lived : barbecuing on a pile of dead soldiers and blood money

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

redshirt posted:

SCOTUS declined to hear it before court of appeals. So Trump will likely bump it up to them next.

SCOTUS hears arguments about disqualifying him this week.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

this seems like a nothingburger

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

smoobles posted:

I mean, he's gonna appeal it, I wounldn't say its a nothingburger - Either SCOTUS will rule on his immunity claims or this stands and he's not immune from prosecution. So its something.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Surprised he hasn't blamed Hillary Clinton somehow

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

CommieGIR posted:

They specifically leave this order stayed until the 12th of Feb for them to appeal to the SC, so Trump will probably keep pushing that boulder uphill.

Of course he will. The whole point of this immunity thing was to delay the trial, no one believes it'll succeed.

:lol: Trump nonetheless

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol the last Truth he posted was about immunity

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Accipiter posted:

Unlikely they do anything with it? Comcast is notorious for outright breaking client-side DNS servers on their network due to how much they mangle that traffic. Mostly thanks to their "Security Edge" bullshit.

You are Paul Vixie and I claim my 5 quatloos.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kazil posted:

lol the last Truth he posted was about immunity

Or you could not crimes. There's that, too.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

don't threaten me with a good time!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I want to be magnetic.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

smoobles posted:

Only in the sense that we all knew from the get-go that this not going to be resolved until the SCOTUS rules on it. But it is one less bump in the road towards that resolution, and that's news-worthy in of itself.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 6, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Especially the part about lusting after dudes who are hung like horses and :gizz: like donkeys. Very historical.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

I want to be magnetic.

But not moist?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Perhaps, but I could write a book entitled Rep. Josh Schriver is an idiot, consisting of 120 pages repeating the title and have it published within the half-hour. So I'm not sure it's that big of a flex.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Trump was right though - he doesn't have immunity, and he can't properly function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Three Olives posted:

When I was a child my parents would fly in first-class and put us in coach (domestic) or business (international), occasionally checking on us, sometimes. I turned out fine, kids are too soft these days.

Hey 3O I know you love the finer things in life which makes me wonder why you’re here on SA. Sure it might be high end luxury posting compared to Reddit and Facebook but at $10 there is a lot of low class riff-raff!

Have you ever considered a Well account? It’s a very exclusive club of old-internet blue bloods with a mere 2000 active users and a cost of $10/mo it is perhaps the most luxurious of internet forums… and yet I don’t see you there?