Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
I thought C-Spam leaks were incredibly tedious, but the SH/SC derail is making me rethink that.

Anyways, no immunity :lol: Get hosed Donald!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jonny Quest posted:

But not moist?

I could take it or leave it

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

SCOTUS could, in theory, decline to take the case, right?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Source: The Bible

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cadc.40415/gov.uscourts.cadc.40415.1208593677.0.pdf

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:sickos: get hosed you tangerine dickhead

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Pull an Elvis while Truthing this one

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

kazil posted:

If they do that the lower decision stands I believe

So the choices are “punt until after the election,” “say Trump is not immune,” or empower Biden to do some really funny stuff

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Without immunity, this will really hurt Trump’s chances on Survivor.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm two pages back can someone tell me how long the battle for uber IT nerd supremacy goes on so I can skip those pages

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

You can always safely ignore anything posted itt from 9pm to 9am

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

bird with big dick posted:

I'm two pages back can someone tell me how long the battle for uber IT nerd supremacy goes on so I can skip those pages

It's not long, thankfully.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

kazil posted:

In theory? Sure, but forget it. Separation of power issues like that is as relevant to SCOTUS as it gets. Not taking this on would amount to derilicition of duty.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Disco Pope posted:

It's not long, thankfully.

But it is girthy

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Without immunity, this will really hurt Trump’s chances on Survivor.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nessus posted:

If they do that the lower decision stands I believe

So the choices are “punt until after the election,” “say Trump is not immune,” or empower Biden to do some really funny stuff

Dollars to donuts they'd bet on "DECORUM" preventing Biden from wielding ABSOLUTE POWER!!!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

That's really going to cut into Habba's Fox News time

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Aramis posted:

In theory? Sure, but forget it. Separation of power issues like that is as relevant to teh SCOTUS as it gets. Not taking this on would amount to derilicition of duty.

I’m pretty sure the right thing to do in this case would be for SCOTUS to decline and let this ruling stand. SCOTUS is only supposed to get involved when there’s a dispute to resolve, and there is no dispute here. Nothing anywhere says that a president or any other elected official gets to commit crimes, Trump and his lawyers are quite literally pulling “presidential immunity” from their rear end.

SCOTUS agreeing to hear this case at all gives Trump’s argument far more deference than it deserves.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So, Trump files appeal at last minute on 2/12.

SC has to "consider" it for a few months, bingo bango, it's June.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hahaha get hosed Donald. No immunity for you. Supreme Court will probably uphold it too.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

I think most people agree there's no chance SCOTUS is going to rule he has TOTAL IMMUNITY. The question will be if there's enough of them who want to help Trump stall that they'll force the court to take it up to delay, even if they have no intent on ruling in his favor ultimately.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I’m pretty sure the right thing to do in this case would be for SCOTUS to decline and let this ruling stand. SCOTUS is only supposed to get involved when there’s a dispute to resolve, and there is no dispute here. Nothing anywhere says that a president or any other elected official gets to commit crimes, Trump and his lawyers are quite literally pulling “presidential immunity” from their rear end.

SCOTUS agreeing to hear this case at all gives Trump’s argument far more deference than it deserves.

The right thing to do is to take it on, explicitly and quickly uphold the judgement, and enshrine it as SCOTUS precedent to shut him and any other would-be dictator up for a long-rear end time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

redshirt posted:

Dollars to donuts they'd bet on "DECORUM" preventing Biden from wielding ABSOLUTE POWER!!!
I mean he could just drone strike Trump and Abbott. Save the part about being king now for later

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Deviantart pieces are the most anatomically correct art of all time.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Aramis posted:

The right thing to do is to take it on, explicitly and quickly uphold the judgement, and enshrine it as SCOTUS precedent to shut him and any other would-be dictator up for a long-rear end time.

If they decline to take it, doesn’t this ruling become the precedent?

There’s pretty much no reason to take it up just to affirm it except to delay things. And overturning it means Biden can literally kill them, so…

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rescue Toaster posted:

I think most people agree there's no chance SCOTUS is going to rule he has TOTAL IMMUNITY. The question will be if there's enough of them who want to help Trump stall that they'll force the court to take it up to delay, even if they have no intent on ruling in his favor ultimately.

I doubt it. Didn't they already shoot down one of Trump's other appeals as quickly as they could? I think from the Florida case if I'm not mistaken. I don't think even this court will take the "president has total immunity, actually" as a serious argument.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Who won the DNS argument? I don’t wanna read the posts I just keep of rank of the mating value of every poster and that’s gonna affect it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

If the Bible’s so smart, where’s the germ theory? :smugbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

mobby_6kl posted:

I doubt it. Didn't they already shoot down one of Trump's other appeals as quickly as they could? I think from the Florida case if I'm not mistaken. I don't think even this court will take the "president has total immunity, actually" as a serious argument.

I recall them shooting something down as well but can't remember what.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

vaginite posted:

I just keep of rank of the mating value of every poster

Hold up, where do I access this spreadsheet?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

bird with big dick posted:

I’m not an IT person but I’m pretty sure at one point one of the computer-touchers threatens the other one by saying “you have no idea who you’re talking to”

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Especially the part about lusting after dudes who are hung like horses and :gizz: like donkeys. Very historical.

You know I should know this after working at a zoo for so many years, but I never was involved really with hoofstock beyond a few weeks, and we certainly did not have horses or donkeys. Do donkeys really have that much more than horses do?

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

I wish one of his handlers would just stick a GoPro on trifp's suit. He'd never look down long enough to find it, and we'd get high quality video of his real time reactions to the continued disloyalty of these activist judges and scheming henchmen.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

If they decline to take it, doesn’t this ruling become the precedent?

There’s pretty much no reason to take it up just to affirm it except to delay things. And overturning it means Biden can literally kill them, so…

My understanding, and I might very well be wrong on this, is that declining to take the case lets the judgement in the circuit court stand, but does not necessarily mean that the SCOTUS is explicitly endorsing/upholding it as is. It's literally a refusal to rule on the matter after all.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Now if Engoron would do his goddamn job

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Aramis posted:

My understanding, and I might very well be wrong on this, is that declining to take the case lets the judgement in the circuit court stand, but does not necessarily mean that the SCOTUS is explicitly endorsing/upholding it as is. It's literally a refusal to rule on the matter after all.

Yeah, I am also not a law-knower, but I think the idea is rulings that are correct don’t get taken up by SCOTUS. SCOTUS is there either because something in the ruling might be wrong and needs addressing, or because different courts are ruling differently on it and there’s a dispute to be resolved. Not taking something up basically means, “this ruling is fine as-is and serves as a valid precedent for all future rulings.”

They literally don’t have the time to take up every settled ruling, and in fact don’t have time to take up a ton of unsettled stuff (hello, qualified immunity and civil asset forfeiture!), so it’s extra offensive what this Court did with Roe v Wade.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Grey Cat posted:

Hold up, where do I access this spreadsheet?

It’s in my head. I’m #1 (obv), you’re pretty high too. Winning an IT argument at a certain MMR graduates someone out of the “do not reproduce” league.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aramis posted:

In theory? Sure, but forget it. Separation of power issues like that is as relevant to SCOTUS as it gets. Not taking this on would amount to derilicition of duty.

Yeah, this is another situation where the court is going to want to set down firm rules.

And the rules will absolutely be "pesidents are not kings, and ex-presidents really aren't kings".

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Thing is, presidential immunity is Trump's favorite legal argument so it's gotten spread far and wide under multiple circuits and jurisdictions. That, and the fact that the ex-president is a crime elemental, gives the court a novel legal issue to address. And it's one where it's an easy layup for them at a time when everyone is questioning their legitimacy. Ueah, the chuddiest of the cultists will be mad that they didn’t protect His Corpulence Donald I, but everyone else will be on their side.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It wouldn't surprise me if the Supreme Court declined to take up the matter but left the door open so they can take up the matter later which is something they have done before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

vaginite posted:

Who won the DNS argument? I don’t wanna read the posts I just keep of rank of the mating value of every poster and that’s gonna affect it.

The only way to win is not to play.