Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Hirez posted:

fell completely under my radar, but just saw One More Shot (One Shot sequel) - starts pretty much where the last movie ends up and is pretty kick rear end. It's more of the same but Adkins always delivers. The single shot gimmick is nice for fight scenes, literally 0 shaky cam - just 2 pros loving duking it out. Michael Jai White/Adkins are so loving good opposite eachother.

Also enjoyed the og sniper Thomas Beckett but man he got loving old

Thanks for reminding me it's out. Adkins does possibly his career worst American accent, and is starting to move a little slow in some scenes but you know what, I still love this stuff. The gimmick works really well and I think it's easier than ever to make these fake one takes, so it's rare to feel the choreography getting messed up (even though other recent movies messed this up by getting too overconfident). I also really liked the touch of using laptop screens of multiple cams to scene transition to/from another time or place.

This one was a nice upgrade over the first just in location, much more complex layout made things really interesting. I think this may well be Adkins' biggest/most expansive filming layout in any of his movies. However, I don't think any individual scene was as good as the leadup/detonation for the suicide bombing in the first one.

I also like that Aaron Toney really got to show his stuff, hopefully this elevates him a bit with more roles. He was real impressive and I wasn't expecting so much out of him. And of course I was happy to see MJW absolutely deliver, this may be his last great fight due to age.
I also have no idea how they did the Adkins fall over the rail safely, good lord. Beyond just a bunch of mats they CGIed to match the ground, or did they hide the cut?

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

trevorreznik posted:

I also have no idea how they did the Adkins fall over the rail safely, good lord. Beyond just a bunch of mats they CGIed to match the ground, or did they hide the cut?

I didn't wanna mention this, gently caress what a hell of a bump. incredible and I want to pretend it was all cgi and no one was hurt the slighest

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Hirez posted:

I didn't wanna mention this, gently caress what a hell of a bump. incredible and I want to pretend it was all cgi and no one was hurt the slighest

I'm wondering which of the two Adkins rail kicks was short first : his versus Keanu in wick 4, or this one

I gifed it but will wait a while to upload so people don't see it on accident

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

The Wick double million stair fall is just lol insane action, The Adkins one there made me jump outta my bed and the :bahgawd: he's dead, he's broken in half as god as my witness impact

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Speaking of one take scenes , was Old Boy the first action one? I absolutely cannot think of what came earlier. I thought Jaa's Protector, but it came out two years after Old Boy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

trevorreznik posted:

Speaking of one take scenes , was Old Boy the first action one? I absolutely cannot think of what came earlier. I thought Jaa's Protector, but it came out two years after Old Boy.

I'm sure there's others (gotta be some Westerns that I'm not thinking of) but this is the earliest that comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y11Bsvn04I

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lnsOG9nuDA

Edit Goddammit

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Well I sure have egg on my face. I thought the forum ate my post , went to make it again then went "wait, what about the hard boiled one where the crew resets the floor while they're in the elevator" and deliberated on trying to distinguish between gunplay and hand to hand oners and figured it was better not to ask the question and look dumb.

Woops

And yeah I feel like there's gotta be a lot of samurai stuff I just can't think of. Heck, the old judo scenes in Hollywood in the 40s, or Basil Rathbone fencing are all pretty long, I'm just trying to narrow down in my mind when the "modern" (active camera) one take started for action and it has to be hard boiled.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 31, 2024

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
I have grown to be very careful with the statement "There are no dumb questions" but heck, if a question gets answers that are fun or interesting, it can't be dumb.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

trevorreznik posted:

Soviet filmmakers really went in for them. There's a lot of great ones in Mikhail Kalatozov's filmography, but especially I Am Cuba, and the lateral tracking shot through the Battle of Borodino in Sergei Bondarchuk's War and Peace is bonkers in terms of scale.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hirez posted:

The Wick double million stair fall is just lol insane action, The Adkins one there made me jump outta my bed and the :bahgawd: he's dead, he's broken in half as god as my witness impact

Lol im watching John Wick 4 piecemeal over a few days because it's like a 4 hr movie but it's been pretty great so far like the most expensive TV show ever due to it essentially being broken up into a series of separate missions.

Got to that scene where Adkin's body hit those stairs. That's got to be a fake body right? No one can survive that.. Anyways Adkins was perfect in it, great acting and a great idea behind his character. 10/10.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

High Warlord Zog posted:

Soviet filmmakers really went in for them. There's a lot of great ones in Mikhail Kalatozov's filmography, but especially I Am Cuba, and the lateral tracking shot through the Battle of Borodino in Sergei Bondarchuk's War and Peace is bonkers in terms of scale.

Now that's an answer I didn't expect. I'm only familiar with Eisenteins more montage style stuff in Alexander Nevsky. I'll try to watch that Borodino scene, thanks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm not really a fan of the whole one-shot thing if it's overdone to the point that it becomes the whole identity of the movie or of that particular action choreographer. It goes against the Hong Kong school of using cuts and editing strategically with longer shots to emphasize impact and overall flow of the action.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not really a fan of the whole one-shot thing if it's overdone to the point that it becomes the whole identity of the movie or of that particular action choreographer. It goes against the Hong Kong school of using cuts and editing strategically with longer shots to emphasize impact and overall flow of the action.

You're absolutely right BUT I'm a sucker for gimmicks when trying to figure out which movie out of 500 on the watchlist to put on. How am I going to choose if there's no robots, aliens, or time travel?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

trevorreznik posted:

You're absolutely right BUT I'm a sucker for gimmicks when trying to figure out which movie out of 500 on the watchlist to put on. How am I going to choose if there's no robots, aliens, or time travel?

Obviously, as Basebf555 intimated, you choose the 90s Hong Kong flick with tight editing and visual flow. Some of them may even reference robots in their "plot."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm definitely a big Adkins supporter though, and someone like him is always going to be looking for stuff that can bring extra attention to his films and make them stand out. So I get why something like One Shot exists, it's just never going to be among my favorite type of action films.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I felt that the fake oner in Extraction 2 took away from some of the impact of the scene, which was a shame, because the concepts were sound and Hemsworth and the stunt crew were working hard. They deserved better.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

When I initially watched One Shot, I had no idea of the gimmick until someone mentioned it in this thread months later and i was like Wait WTF? On my rewatch the other day just before watching One Shot Away; I obviously saw it now, but it still felt very natural and even specifically looking for where the "shots" end and could only make a few obvious ones.

I take this as Scott Adkins being so loving good that he did the whole thing in 1 take one evening. Which explains why One Shot Away came out of nowhere, he just finished filming it like last Wednesday afternoon.

As for other 1 shot movies*, I forget the name right now but it was like Crank 3 shot on Russian Go-Pro - I just remember it being loving insane (and good dumb/stupid)

*I don't remember if it was 1 shot or not, prolly

Hirez fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 31, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Adkins is basically the most qualified guy on the planet for doing a movie like One Shot because he's just so experienced in that "we don't have three days to shoot this scene, we gotta get it right in as few takes as possible and move on" pressurized environment that is the direct-to-streaming action genre.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah if you watch interviews with Adkins he's the most "ah, gently caress, turns out the place we are using to shoot the fight is covered in sharp rocks. This is gonna hurt I guess..." guy around. 80s HK sensibility in a British guy.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Hirez posted:

As for other 1 shot movies*, I forget the name right now but it was like Crank 3 shot on Russian Go-Pro - I just remember it being loving insane (and good dumb/stupid)

*I don't remember if it was 1 shot or not, prolly

That'd be Hardcore Henry

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Basebf555 posted:

Adkins is basically the most qualified guy on the planet for doing a movie like One Shot because he's just so experienced in that "we don't have three days to shoot this scene, we gotta get it right in as few takes as possible and move on" pressurized environment that is the direct-to-streaming action genre.

Yep, he did Avengement in 13 days, right? Compare that to Donnie Yen who purportedly took months to shoot the final (amazing) fight in Flashpoint.

I'm happy to have learned that Adkins is in a Skylines sequel with Iko soon, and then one with him, Marko Zaror, and a bunch of others trying to kill Bautista. Should be a fun year.

Hirez posted:

When I initially watched One Shot, I had no idea of the gimmick until someone mentioned it in this thread months later and i was like Wait WTF? On my rewatch the other day just before watching One Shot Away; I obviously saw it now, but it still felt very natural and even specifically looking for where the "shots" end and could only make a few obvious ones.

I take this as Scott Adkins being so loving good that he did the whole thing in 1 take one evening. Which explains why One Shot Away came out of nowhere, he just finished filming it like last Wednesday afternoon.

Every now and then a scene gets really tense and I don't quite realize why, until realizing after the fact it was an unbroken take. My goto example is the dinner date in Shame, because the awkwardness keeps building.

The other major 'one shot' movie recently was Athena, which has a phenomenal opening 15 minutes or so, then becomes average, and then has potentially the worst final scene in movie history to where it makes the movie hard to recommend.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 31, 2024

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

The other major 'one shot' movie recently was Athena, which has a phenomenal opening 15 minutes or so, then becomes average, and then has potentially the worst final scene in movie history to where it makes the movie hard to recommend.

Athena was some absolutely astonishing staging in service to the worst possible loving plot. It was amazing.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I felt that the fake oner in Extraction 2 took away from some of the impact of the scene, which was a shame, because the concepts were sound and Hemsworth and the stunt crew were working hard. They deserved better.

Oners tent to really struggle to maintain a rythmn well. Tony Jaa's one is technically impressive but the worst fight in the film since the choreography has to be massively simplified and the seams can still become obvious, like stuntmen indicating which arm they're going to use, or walking weirdly to make sure they hit their mark exactly. It's the sort of tiny little thing that you can edit around or choose a different take for in a more conventionally shot scene, but that becomes impossible to hide when you're doing the oner.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't care whether a long, single shot actually is one. If they have to flub it I'd rather they do that because it's not the filmmaking achievement part of it I find cool, it's the thrill of seeing characters battling through challenges in real-time. With conventional shots and cuts, even if the movie establishes that the following sequence will have a real-time time limit, and sticks to it, it doesn't feel like the time limit actually exists.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like it when I don't notice a shot is a oner until most of the way through it.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Yeah, for all the problems with the Protector's scene, it's cool to see Jaa get visibly tired in a way that is rarely depicted on camera that authentically.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like it when I don't notice a shot is a oner until most of the way through it.

I didn't realize it in the John Wick 4 shootout because I was too busy going insane about the top down angle.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Avengement taking 13 days shows through every aspect of the movie and I'd rather just watch a Donnie Yen movie that took like 20 months a scene or w/e cuz I'm not on a schedule. Admirable tho.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Yeah, for all the problems with the Protector's scene, it's cool to see Jaa get visibly tired in a way that is rarely depicted on camera that authentically.

Apparently the real issue was the camera man getting tired, since he had to follow Jaa every step of the way with a massive steadicam rig.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

trevorreznik posted:

I remember this guy from last year and love his videos, I just wish I knew how the heck he's able to see so much that's unavailable. Where is anyone watching Baby Assassins 2? how the hell do I see Hundreds of Beavers???

It's a great source for obscure stuff. I ordered Irati from Spain and enjoyed it a lot, as mentioned in the video it's not big on action but really puts you in the atmosphere of 8th century Basque society and mythology, something I knew nothing of.
No way I would ever have found this, there is not a single review on Youtube (or maybe buried under reviews for a Bollywood movie Iratti) or Spotify podcast.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The Beekeeper is very silly but probably the best thing Jason Statham has done in a while.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not really a fan of the whole one-shot thing if it's overdone to the point that it becomes the whole identity of the movie or of that particular action choreographer.

I felt the first one was this way but the sequel has much more natural flow that the one shot gimmick works better.

E:

trevorreznik posted:

I didn't realize it in the John Wick 4 shootout because I was too busy going insane about the top down angle.

The top down angle is the best thing the sequels have done

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 5, 2024

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I love long takes on TV shows because you know they've got like, an afternoon, to throw it together. The CW's Arrow threw together crazy ambitious fight scenes every other week, tiny budget be damned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vySESEIm8kQ

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Any takes on Sakra (2023), the Donnie Yen movie?

Also is Drive (97) as good as they say, and do I need to find the directors cut?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Heavy Metal posted:

Also is Drive (97) as good as they say, and do I need to find the directors cut?

I'm about to find out. Your post reminded me that it got a 4k release a while back, but I didn't buy it back then because the price was pretty steep for a blind-buy. But when I checked it today it was on sale so I pulled the trigger.

For physical media people, this company 88 Films has been hitting home runs all over the place lately. They're the #1 place to go for classic martial arts/action films right now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

best action movie long take is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCyl_CnTNMI

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve somehow managed to never see Man on Fire (2004) and this film has some of the most astonishing cinematography choices I’ve ever seen.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tony Scott was on some poo poo. Personally, I thought Domino was dope.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Tony Scott was on some poo poo. Personally, I thought Domino was dope.

The scene where they shotgun that guy's arm off is my favourite bit of ultraviolence from him.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I didn't get much from Man on Fire at the time, but I do love Tony Scott and Denzel, maybe I should give it another try. I like all the Equalizer movies. True Romance is a Tony fav.

For a shlocky but very fun time, I highly recommend Ricochet. That movie is a hoot.

Devil in a Blue Dress is some primo Denzel.

Anybody like the 1987 Man on Fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

MrMojok posted:

I’ve somehow managed to never see Man on Fire (2004) and this film has some of the most astonishing cinematography choices I’ve ever seen.

I didn't think it was a very good movie but the triple threat of Denzel's acting, his incredible baggy outfits, and the insane editing/camera work kept ms locked in