Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oct posted:

The real target seems to be the OTP code. The caller claimed to represent Wells Fargo for the sake of the social engineering narrative, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have been targeting another account altogether. Sounds like they found some historic personal information that was likely valid and pivoted from there.

What they wanted was for you to get that SMS message and read them the code so that they could access whatever they were trying to access, to do whatever they wanted to do. I'm usually of the opinion that attackers aren't obligated to be transparent as to their objectives, they're just gonna say or do whatever they think will work.

The OTP came directly from (the real) Wells Fargo.

Thanks Ants posted:

Possibly someone trying to do a SIM swap. If you'd strung them along until the SMS was sent that might have told you more.

I did, and received the SMS. I'm not sure how getting a OTP from a bank where I have no relationship would help a scammer perform a SIM swap though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The sms code might be required to open a new account. I'm not sure why they would use your phone number in that case. Maybe wf is checking that the phone number is in your name?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

how do you know it came from WF? isn’t that really easy to spoof?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Subjunctive posted:

how do you know it came from WF? isn’t that really easy to spoof?

Came from their SMS short code, said "Wells Fargo will NEVER call or text you for this code. DON'T share it.". But also why would a scammer send me a fake OTP that they created and then ask me to read it back to them?

I guess I am leaning towards "scammers be dumb, yo" as the reasoning. I suppose it is possible they were also creating an interaction to record my voice so that they could impersonate me to do ?????

I've got identity protection services up the wazoo so this whole situation is mostly just perplexing to me and not particularly concerning.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

The OTP came directly from (the real) Wells Fargo.

I did, and received the SMS. I'm not sure how getting a OTP from a bank where I have no relationship would help a scammer perform a SIM swap though?

My bad, I thought they were just calling you, claiming to be Wells Fargo and the OTP was unrelated. In that case my guess is they are trying to open an account in your name and Wells Fargo require a mobile phone number, handing that over would have made it harder to argue it wasn't you opening the account since it's your real phone number.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I wonder if any of the phone companies are providing identity verification services to banks. i.e. if you use this phone number, we can verify it belongs to x person. That's the only other thing I can think of.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah this has worried a few of our customers.
Some links:
Remediation steps

Original report
IOCs from above:
Yara
CSV

Mandiant report with more stuff

I'd run these indicators against your firewall logs or add that CSV as a threat Intel list in Sentinel.

The device has been remediated already according to those steps, and I had the IOCs from the Mandiant blog and it didn't look like the device was compromised. Thanks for the CSV though I hadn't seen those before, I'll run these against our firewall logs.

Thanks again!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Fool posted:

I like it when a bunch of people are in a conference room, join the room, then all join on their laptops
If they can manage their mics properly this is the correct way to do it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you know that they can't

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Actual Teams Rooms (e.g. the things licensed as Teams Rooms and using the certified hardware) can do Bluetooth beaconing so people's laptops know they're joining the meeting from the room they're already in. Seems to work alright.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

at a previous company we had an internal mobile app that looked at your calendar for the phone room you were booked for and the call you were going to join, and connected it all at the push of a button so you didn’t have to dick around with the embedded-device UI

was very civilized!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
It's impressive how good meeting room tech has got when everyone wants nothing more than to never set foot in an office again lol.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ChubbyThePhat posted:

It's impressive how good meeting room tech has got when everyone wants nothing more than to never set foot in an office again lol.

It does help that zoom/teams conferencing stations are relatively simple to set up compared to ye olde h323 kit. We can roll a new room in a hour tops compared to days for h323.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It is a bit unfortunate that we have lost the standards-based interop that came with H.323 as part of that move (yes OK, it was more theoretical than something that actually happened I will accept). It should be possible for a Teams Room to call up webexroom@company.com and for those two systems to negotiate a common set of codecs, but there's no money in these companies doing that.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 23, 2024

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

We pay Pexip kind of a lot of money to provide that kind of interoperability for us. Most of our conference rooms now can do one touch join for Teams, Zoom, WebEx, and a few others. It's been a long, expensive journey to get here though.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

MustardFacial posted:

The device has been remediated already according to those steps, and I had the IOCs from the Mandiant blog and it didn't look like the device was compromised. Thanks for the CSV though I hadn't seen those before, I'll run these against our firewall logs.

Thanks again!

Oh hey that Ivanti fix doesn’t actually work: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/ivanti-vpn-appliances-vulnerable-if-pushing-configs-after-mitigation/

We’ve given up and are actively moving customers off Ivanti, lol.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

It is a bit unfortunate that we have lost the standards-based interop that came with H.323 as part of that move (yes OK, it was more theoretical than something that actually happened I will accept). It should be possible for a Teams Room to call up webexroom@company.com and for those two systems to negotiate a common set of codecs, but there's no money in these companies doing that.

Any MTR kit can receive a webex, zoom or bluejeans invite and get into the call natively without any interop requirement.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/rooms/third-party-join

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Mustache Ride posted:

Oh hey that Ivanti fix doesn’t actually work: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/ivanti-vpn-appliances-vulnerable-if-pushing-configs-after-mitigation/

We’ve given up and are actively moving customers off Ivanti, lol.

Yes, I saw this. After my initial IR, it has been taken out of my hands and the higher ups have it now. we'll see what they choose to do.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

You could considering packaging something up that you deploy that runs the customisation with the CLI config tool https://developers.yubico.com/yubikey-manager/

I'll ask our MSP to look into how to do this. Apparently the Yubikey Manager has to be run elevated now because the Windows APIs around configuration are protected.

My backup option is to just put a Raspberry Pi with a udev rule on it to disable the fast-OTP and post it in a common area of our offices.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
lol new Ivanti zero day just dropped.
https://forums.ivanti.com/s/article/CVE-2024-21888-Privilege-Escalation-for-Ivanti-Connect-Secure-and-Ivanti-Policy-Secure?language=en_US

Maybe just migrate to another VPN appliance at this point.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Man they're really having a hell of a time over there aren't they?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

What is that, the 4th? 5th? this month?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just change the name again instead of fixing it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
If anyone wasn't already sold by the thread title...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h7QG7W14qs

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

After your 4th critical CVE you should legally have to put sarcasm air quotes around the word "secure" if your affected product name includes it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

some kinda jackal posted:

After your 4th critical CVE you should legally have to put sarcasm air quotes around the word "secure" if your affected product name includes it.

Congrats you made my department laugh.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Congrats you made my department laugh.

literally the most value i've provided to a team in years

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

just sent a quick note to our security folks thanking them for not selecting Ivanti

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Okta continues to pay off.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/thanksgiving-2023-security-incident

quote:

We’ve written about this before but, in summary, we were (for the second time) the victim of a compromise of Okta’s systems which resulted in a threat actor gaining access to a set of credentials. These credentials were meant to all be rotated.

Unfortunately, we failed to rotate one service token and three service accounts (out of thousands) of credentials that were leaked during the Okta compromise.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's remarkably frank language.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Implies they’re rotating them by having a person click a button and someone didn’t do it

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Implies they’re rotating them by having a person click a button and someone didn’t do it

This is exactly how I read that.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Okta got hacked over and over and their response has apparently been to rectify their stock price with layoffs. Let’s see how that works out trying to secure extremely valuable data for like half of corporate america with 10% less help.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Layoffs bad obviously, but if they're laying off like sales and marketing folks I don't think it moves the needle on their relative security posture.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sales are revenue while ops are not

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sales are revenue while ops are not

Sales are not only revenue and thus why sales has been a major part of these layoffs.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

Sales are not only revenue and thus why sales has been a major part of these layoffs.

Yeah that perception is not as hard set as it used to be. Especially as more stuff goes electronic (or at least it should be), inside sales gets way smaller.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's going to be so funny if they manage to lay off the one guy that was the insider threat entirely by accident.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-u-s-economy-is-booming-so-why-are-tech-companies-laying-off-workers

TL;DR they want to squeeze the employees theyve already got for as much as they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Volt Typhoon advisory. TLDR: Phishing-resistant MFA for everything.

https://twitter.com/cisajen/status/1755299381316645041?s=46