Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Ironwail is the community standard right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Bishop Beo posted:

Yeah starting out on Lightly Broiled and it seems like a decent amount of challenge without being unfair. Man the shotgun and TNT in this game are satisfying to use!

I was seriously impressed by how intuitive the TNT throwing was even from the start. A lot of times when you have a chargeable throw the force seems random or just off somehow (see: Dark Forces and Kyle's insistence on throwing thermal detonators into the ceiling and NOWHERE ELSE) but Caleb just chucks bundles exactly as far as you'd expect, every time. Whenever I missed I knew before I threw that I had made a mistake.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

koren posted:

This is true unless you’re on macOS, where the OpenGL version supported is lower than what Ironwail needs to run. In that case you’ll probably want VkQuake or QuakeSpasm Spiked.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So, any retro shooters demoing this nexfes?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

The official trailer for the event had a clip of Phantom Fury, so probably that at least. That's more of a threat than anything, though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't think that's gonna show lol

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

Retro lineage, modern take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX-PZq9weWg

Demo should be available for download, but servers don't go live until this afternoon/evening it sounds like.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I wasn't impressed by the beta for Tribes, small teams... no vehicles... maps are really small... it just made me desperately miss playing Tribes 2.

32v32 CTF with vehicles and deployables all over the huge map, good times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov-UbcG8bDw

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jehde posted:

Retro lineage, modern take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX-PZq9weWg

Demo should be available for download, but servers don't go live until this afternoon/evening it sounds like.

was about to post this. has some good kills

e: gonna miss having tanks to run people over with tho

site fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 5, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The servers are live! This new build for the demo is pretty slick, you can practice skiing or target practice while you wait for a match now. The available game modes for the demo are 4v4 team rabbit 2, 12v12 capture the flag, and then 7v7 capture the flag competitive still being locked away. Played a 12v12 match on the new map and it's a tonne of fun.

E: People still play tribes 2 if all you want is tribes 2 btw.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 5, 2024

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Do I need to set up anything specific to play Tribes 2? Would love to check it out again even for a few days.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Quake II: Call of the Machine is legit. MachineGames has a knack for channeling id's design sensibilities and putting their own unique take on things. It's beefy too! And they added this for free!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jehde posted:

The servers are live! This new build for the demo is pretty slick, you can practice skiing or target practice while you wait for a match now. The available game modes for the demo are 4v4 team rabbit 2, 12v12 capture the flag, and then 7v7 capture the flag competitive still being locked away. Played a 12v12 match on the new map and it's a tonne of fun.

E: People still play tribes 2 if all you want is tribes 2 btw.

Eh, I'd rather not just get my poo poo rocked by the lifers.

But cool that they increased the player numbers in T3!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ok not a FPS but I completely missed this by FPS masters Raven back in the day, I would have played the hell out of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8hbRaFtk5E&t=646s

went to look it up after seeing this incredibly 90's ad for it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

I looked through hundreds of demos on the main list, extending that infinite canvas until it stopped, and only a couple of things showed up

One had kinda amateur drawings, the other was like a Roman gladiator thing. I forget the names but I’ll pull them up when I get home

e; Bane Murrain was the former, Caesar’s Revenge the other

There are still existing demos, though, of various recent shooters: Calcium Contract, Captain Wayne, Exophobia, Relentless Frontier

And I wouldn’t call it a boomer shooter but Mullet Mad Jack is a super fast corridor shooter akin to Post Void and that demo just went up this month

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 5, 2024

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ok not a FPS but I completely missed this by FPS masters Raven back in the day, I would have played the hell out of it

I have good news for you!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Mr E posted:

Do I need to set up anything specific to play Tribes 2? Would love to check it out again even for a few days.

https://www.tribesnext.com/

I'm so glad that Tribes 3 has a form of team rabbit 2 that's being played by people again, it's so fun.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Between all the Quake and Doom I've played recently, its been a long time since I've had a look at the modern 'Boomer shooter' throwback games, I played Dusk and Amid Evil ages ago. What newer games are considered most worth my time?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

khwarezm posted:

Between all the Quake and Doom I've played recently, its been a long time since I've had a look at the modern 'Boomer shooter' throwback games, I played Dusk and Amid Evil ages ago. What newer games are considered most worth my time?

Post-DUSK & Amid Evil, I'd say: Cultic, HROT, Slayers X, and Turbo Overkill personally.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

khwarezm posted:

Amid Evil got a two-episode expansion recently which was pretty good

Gonna echo Cultic as well. Kind of short but great atmosphere and plays really well, like Blood if Blood didn’t hate you.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 6, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Turbo overkill, hrot, Cultic. Ultrakill is only throwback adjacent but you should play that too, same publisher as Dusk and AE. Honestly I haven't had a truly bad time with any I've played in the last year and a half but I might just be easy to please

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Quake 2 rerelease is also extremely fuckin tight

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Beyond Sunset did an early access release with I think half of the planned episodes in it, and Selaco is doing its early access release in May but has a demo out now.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Cultic is the standout throwback shooter for me. Most satisfying combat of any game I've played in years. And it's got a demo, which is nice.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

koren posted:

These are primarily single player focused, right? Like anything other than vanilla quake maps seem to have glitches in coop.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Coffee Jones posted:

These are primarily single player focused, right? Like anything other than vanilla quake maps seem to have glitches in coop.

QuakeSpasm Spiked at least has made an effort to improve netcode stability and accommodate higher engine limits, though ymmv.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I need to check out Turbo Overkill. CULTIC and HROT are up there with DUSK for me as the holy trinity of the retro FPS renaissance.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There's also a bunch of overall decent games you should get but might wanna wait for a sale first. This is where your boltguns and fashion police squad and such fall. I would toss zortch in here probably but its only 5 bucks so I don't see it getting much cheaper. Last but not least several games are probably gonna go 1.0 this year so if you're worried they might increase in price when they do, you might be right. Viscerafest, Wrath Aeon of Ruin are on the cusp of being finished and I'd wager Ultrakill is gonna wrap up this year too

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Coffee Jones posted:

Proper coop support is generally very poor with quake maps. While a lot of maps try to have the coop start entities to prevent endless telefragging, most are not tested with coop in mind and may break depending on scripting/map lock in etc. Sadly, a few maps don't have coop start entities at all either. There are a few exceptions - releases like the spiritworld, arcane dimensions and smej 1&2 are pretty well supported, but they are the minority.

Ironwail and regular quakespasm do have network support, but it's quite primitive. Quakespasm-spiked and FTE both have vastly superior networking support and are the ports you want to use for coop play. I have used QSS in the past to play with friends with great success, but you'll need to set "sv_gameplayfix_spawnbeforethinks 1" in the console to play AD maps without clients crashing out. I would strongly recommend against using QSS as your standard port for single player because it has a history of quite nasty bugs and incompatibilities, not to mention a much slower renderer than ironwail.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's also a bunch of overall decent games you should get but might wanna wait for a sale first. This is where your boltguns and fashion police squad and such fall. I would toss zortch in here probably but its only 5 bucks so I don't see it getting much cheaper. Last but not least several games are probably gonna go 1.0 this year so if you're worried they might increase in price when they do, you might be right. Viscerafest, Wrath Aeon of Ruin are on the cusp of being finished and I'd wager Ultrakill is gonna wrap up this year too

Oh yeah I was going to ask about Fashion Police and Boltgun, I take it then they are on the lower rung of recommendations compared to Cultic or Turbo Overkill?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8hbRaFtk5E&t=646s

went to look it up after seeing this incredibly 90's ad for it

Same engine as Mageslayer, isn't it? I think I still have the original disc for that around. Vague memories of it being fun at this point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Oh yeah I was going to ask about Fashion Police and Boltgun, I take it then they are on the lower rung of recommendations compared to Cultic or Turbo Overkill?

I really liked Fashion Police Squad though it is a tier below those games. It has character out the wazoo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's just that dusk/AE/TO/Hrot/Cultic are so good that almost everything else compares disfavorably lol.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what i've played of boltgun is Fine, it's just that it's not really uhhhhhh something that carries through entirely with the design. like the aesthetics seem they were the primary focus, and they made sure some guns sound really nice to shoot, but the actual structure of the game isn't as tight as it could be, which sticks out sorely compared to other things like cultic which manages having a really nice aesthetic, amazing guns, and also just core gameplay that works incredibly well for what it's doing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
boltgun was mid

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

what i've played of boltgun is Fine, it's just that it's not really uhhhhhh something that carries through entirely with the design. like the aesthetics seem they were the primary focus, and they made sure some guns sound really nice to shoot, but the actual structure of the game isn't as tight as it could be, which sticks out sorely compared to other things like cultic which manages having a really nice aesthetic, amazing guns, and also just core gameplay that works incredibly well for what it's doing.

Well again pretty much everything is runner up to cultic. All around it might be the best of the lot especially when you consider the price too

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Cultic is clean and cool as hell and the developer is a good dude.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Boltgun just needs some tweaks like nav points, better communication that you're taking damage, and toning down those loving champions

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm a boltgun fan but yeah it's not touching cultic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Boltgun proof you can't carry a game on weaponfeel alone. But you sure can try.

I did like it more on my second playthrough, going from easiest to hardest. Like Amid Evil, not enough of a difference in difficulty progression; hardest didn't feel that much harder. Great for the achievement but man easiest felt harder than it should have and hardest easier