Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If they can make a god of a new quiddity, they can lever the pantheons into cooperation to seal the breach and the god won’t have to have huge reserves to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah I was thinking the latter, that a new god who knows the deal could offer to help seal the rifts for good, in exchange for lots of concessions.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've heard Banjo recommended a few times a source of new quiddity, has anyone considered the ascention of a sexy shoeless god of war?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I was under the impression that it's only the gods who really know all the stuff about the Gates. Didn't Thor mention that they have to wipe the memory of the outsiders every time they restart because they get all loopy otherwise?

So the IFCC might be scheming with incomplete information.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

YggiDee posted:

I've heard Banjo recommended a few times a source of new quiddity, has anyone considered the ascention of a sexy shoeless god of war?

I have mentioned that that would fulfill the specific wording of Belkar's prophecy, I think!

I doubt he's part of the IFCC's scheme, though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, how many people do you need to believe in someone being a sexy shoeless God of War before they become a sexy shoeless God of War? Could the entire story actually be the epic saga of the rise of Belkar, the Sexy Shoeless God of War?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Randalor posted:

I mean, how many people do you need to believe in someone being a sexy shoeless God of War before they become a sexy shoeless God of War? Could the entire story actually be the epic saga of the rise of Belkar, the Sexy Shoeless God of War?

The titular "stick" is clearly the act of sticking someone with a dagger. :hmmyes:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Sky Shadowing posted:

I was under the impression that it's only the gods who really know all the stuff about the Gates. Didn't Thor mention that they have to wipe the memory of the outsiders every time they restart because they get all loopy otherwise?

So the IFCC might be scheming with incomplete information.

Yeah, they only learned about the Gates from Sabine, who heard it from Nale, who learned it from Lord Shojo and the Order back when he was impersonating Elan. So they wouldn't know anything about Thor's plans concerning The Dark One or new gods in general.

Personally, I think it's much more likely that their goals are more similar to Hel's or The Dark One's: either do something with the massive wave of dead people when the gods destroy the world, or do something with the god-killing abomination sealed within the world. But while Hel and TDO were both basically planning to improve their negotiating position with the gods and wield that new power to extract concessions from the other gods, I kinda get the sense that the IFCC wouldn't mind actually killing off a few gods if the opportunity arose.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Maybe the real solution to the snarl is for the gods to give up their godhood in exchange for letting a new pantheon take over. Banjo, Giggles, SSGoW, etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Monster In The Dark is actually a baby god but through its interactions with both good and evil it becomes a new benevolent god of the Purple alongside The Dark One.

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024
I always got the sense that the fiends' plans were generic evil, and that any plan they would use to kill all those dragons was based on actual material control of the gates. Am I misremembering detail?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

S40CheckingAccount posted:

I always got the sense that the fiends' plans were generic evil, and that any plan they would use to kill all those dragons was based on actual material control of the gates. Am I misremembering detail?

We don't know but so far all the villains we've seen have been pretty narrow minded and missing a lot of the big picture. They still have the potential to wreck everything for everyone anyways of course but theres nothing to suggest that these 3 are any different. Like we know Redcloak's plans as they are have a 0% chance of working. But he can still ruin everything for the order and everyone else. The fiends might just be another case of that since the comic has shown that their information was at least originally limited to what Shojo knew. So that lessens the likelihood that they are some super 5th dimensional chess playing masterminds that have everyone in the palm of their hands or whatever.

Also considering that the gods know that outsiders freaking out is a thing, and they've gone through countless worlds at this point, it's not impossible that this trio are the reason the outsiders need to be mindwiped. For all we know this is the 25236th time they've found out about the gates and done the same stupid thing to try to take advantage of it.

So while they clearly have some role to play, and we don't know what it will be. I don't think they'll ever become the main antagonists or anything like that. They'll just be the ones (among many others) pouring a bit of gasoline on the fire , not the ones that start it in the first place.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 6, 2024

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The IFCC wanted the Order to destroy Girard's gate, and were willing to use one of their 20-minute leases on V's soul to stop V from telling Roy to do it. Not sure why they didn't use the short one. Either way, they seem to want the gates destroyed for their plan, whatever it is.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

S40CheckingAccount posted:

Probably not, given that they've shown no sign whatsoever of wanting to seize material control of a Gate, and actively intervened to stop V from preventing the destruction of Girard's Gate.

So what do they want? They've made a point of avoiding answering that. They told Tiamat that they had "a secret scheme to bring down the gods of Good", and implied afterward that this was only technically true, and that their plans would make it "trivial" to slaughter thousands of Good dragons. Beyond that, we don't really know. But the fact that they made sure Girard's Gate was destroyed suggests that they intend to profit somehow from the destruction of the world.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I always figured the Fiends were jockeying to become gods themselves by forcing a destruction of the world and then inserting themselves into the creation process of the next world.

That the gods mentioned, explicitly and pointedly, that the outsiders get loopy by having their memories wiped? Immediately pointed me towards suspecting at least one outsider retained their memories and conveyed the process to the Fiends, who immediately recognized it as a weakness in the process.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I always figured the Fiends were jockeying to become gods themselves by forcing a destruction of the world and then inserting themselves into the creation process of the next world.

That the gods mentioned, explicitly and pointedly, that the outsiders get loopy by having their memories wiped? Immediately pointed me towards suspecting at least one outsider retained their memories and conveyed the process to the Fiends, who immediately recognized it as a weakness in the process.
This seems like a safe bet. Time loop fiction almost always has an antagonist who’s aware of the loop, and while that’s not quite the actual situation, it’s close enough from the outsiders’ perspective to probably still be applicable.

We don’t know the exact details of their plan, but if it involves the planet inside the rift somehow, that’d tie up two loose ends at once, which would make sense with this little story left.

Maybe they’ve been chummy with the Snarl and are trying to set themselves up as the gods of a new reality in exchange for helping the Snarl kill the existing gods?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 7, 2024

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Staltran posted:

The IFCC wanted the Order to destroy Girard's gate, and were willing to use one of their 20-minute leases on V's soul to stop V from telling Roy to do it. Not sure why they didn't use the short one. Either way, they seem to want the gates destroyed for their plan, whatever it is.

Maybe they didn't want to risk V dying in the explosion, ruining the other leases.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It seems to me that they just want the snarl free so it can go about the business of killing all the gods, good and evil. After all, all the gods decided together where souls went, and the evil planar powers were not a part of that process. They can only get souls by making deals and getting mortals to voluntarily drat themselves. At least that's the case with the gods in the way. So what if everything dies? They'll happily ruin the universe if that means they get to stand in top of the rubble.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I believe fiends are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Staltran posted:

The IFCC wanted the Order to destroy Girard's gate, and were willing to use one of their 20-minute leases on V's soul to stop V from telling Roy to do it. Not sure why they didn't use the short one.

Boring answer, but I believe it's because Burlew is going to use the short one last, and that's the one where it's really going to matter that it's short.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

The real dick move would have been rules lawyering that each period doesn't have to be used up all at once.

Effectively unlimited 10 second interrupts, instead of 3 longer ones

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Is a round the ootsverse planck time?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ikanreed posted:

Is a round the ootsverse planck time?

Nah, there are Free Actions.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
This universe is running on the edition that has the "peasant railgun," which lets you transport a small object over an arbitrary distance within six seconds, by hiring peasants to stand in a line and ready an action to grab the item from the peasant next to them in line. From this, we can conclude that speed is unbounded, and thus the speed of light in a vacuum (more accurately described as "max speed for the universe") must be infinite. Since Planck time depends on the inverse of c, the Planck time in the OOTS universe (or any 3.x D&D based universe) is zero.

Furthermore, the question is predicated on the idea that the "Planck time" is the smallest possible unit of time, which is a common myth. It is not (probably).

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Time moves at the speed of plot.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

DontMockMySmock posted:

This universe is running on the edition that has the "peasant railgun," which lets you transport a small object over an arbitrary distance within six seconds, by hiring peasants to stand in a line and ready an action to grab the item from the peasant next to them in line. From this, we can conclude that speed is unbounded, and thus the speed of light in a vacuum (more accurately described as "max speed for the universe") must be infinite. Since Planck time depends on the inverse of c, the Planck time in the OOTS universe (or any 3.x D&D based universe) is zero.

Furthermore, the question is predicated on the idea that the "Planck time" is the smallest possible unit of time, which is a common myth. It is not (probably).

My favorite thing about the peasant railgun is that the object is technically only moving as fast as a normal person handing it off to another normal person as a standard action, despite moving hundreds of miles in a single six-second window. Time is not really a reliable constant in the D&D 3.5 ruleset. Yes, a round is six seconds long, but those six seconds contain some number of individual turns, which themselves are six seconds long and happen in a sequential order. In a crowded combat, those six seconds could be two minutes long! Really, the speed of light depends on how many people are attacking the observer.

Luckily for OotS, Rich seems to only care about the actual rules-as-written structure of a round when he's making a joke about it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Not to be a party pooper but I'm pretty sure the Peasant Railgun is actually a myth and requires a bad reading of the rules.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
The Peasant Railgun breaking physics and doing any actual damage is a myth.

A bunch of peasants just handing a stick down a line is perfectly fine RAW. It's traveling 5 feet in 3 seconds 300 times a round, its velocity never increasing, the whole thing still taking less than six seconds. It's ultimately just very labor intensive teleportation.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Hiring each peasant should require an interview.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey, the peasent railgun deals real damage!

... I mean, it's... what... 1d6 damage from an improvised thrown weapon? It's not a LOT of damage, but it would still hurt to be hit by it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Randalor posted:

Hey, the peasent railgun deals real damage!

... I mean, it's... what... 1d6 damage from an improvised thrown weapon? It's not a LOT of damage, but it would still hurt to be hit by it.

The dragon or whatever will also be distracted killing hundreds of peasants letting you get some extra hits in.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The object the peasants are passing off to each other is moving at a perfectly sedate five feet every six seconds. It only looks weird to an outside observer that isn’t in the initiative order.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

NameHurtBrain posted:

The Peasant Railgun breaking physics and doing any actual damage is a myth.

A bunch of peasants just handing a stick down a line is perfectly fine RAW. It's traveling 5 feet in 3 seconds 300 times a round, its velocity never increasing, the whole thing still taking less than six seconds. It's ultimately just very labor intensive teleportation.

More generally speaking, the rules have no concept of "velocity" in the first place. And certainly not the impact velocity would have on the damage of the thrown weapon.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Clarste posted:

More generally speaking, the rules have no concept of "velocity" in the first place. And certainly not the impact velocity would have on the damage of the thrown weapon.

If a falling character takes at most 20d6 from falling damage, does it mean you also take 20d6 from an object falling on you at terminal velocity that's roughly your same size and mass?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The most unrealistic part is not the physics, it's the fantasy of getting arbitrarily large groups of people to act in a coordinated manner.

One would expect tabletop gamers, of all people, to understand the sheer impossibility of such feat.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Eh, the bucket brigade has existed forever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket_brigade

It just takes a lot longer than 6 seconds.

NihilCredo posted:

If a falling character takes at most 20d6 from falling damage, does it mean you also take 20d6 from an object falling on you at terminal velocity that's roughly your same size and mass?

If I was a DM, I'd allow it, because it's basically looney tunes and I allow anything if its funny enough.

Screw the peasant railgun, we need the peasant humanoid pyramid that gets high enough to drop heavy objects on the dragon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The most unrealistic part is not the physics, it's the fantasy of getting arbitrarily large groups of people to act in a coordinated manner.

One would expect tabletop gamers, of all people, to understand the sheer impossibility of such feat.

From an article about a board game shop that unionized posted:

“There is not a group of people better at organizing than a bunch of nerds,” said a worker at one of New York City’s cafes catering to the Dungeons & Dragons crowd.

Which still is just factually incorrect

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There is not a group of people better at flaking than a bunch of nerds

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I miss greyview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I sure hope Greyview is OK.