Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I was using CAMPAIGN FPS BOOST - Low Spec PC for the longest time, and it really made the campaign map playable and usable to me in the best possible of ways. It seems to be abandoned now and I am not sure there's a good replacement that anyone recommends. I do not at all care how ugly the overmap looks so long as it stops my fans from going turbo ballistic. I've seen a few fog removers, will they deliver the goods?

I do not have any trouble with battles, they play just fine and I can keep them pretty.

It's just the campaign map and, also, somehow, when I go click on a leader to train their skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

The Door Frame posted:

Seaguard are what every single Kislev unit wishes that it was

This is something I've struggled with when playing Kislev. They have a lot of "hybrid" units but they're mostly "ranged and not total dogshit in melee" and not true hybrid. Their problem is that they have an unfortunate combination of low unit count and low hp values, so units that look like they'd do ok in melee, like Strelsi or dual weapon Ice Guard will trade damage poorly. Armored Kossars are all right though they're the opposite extreme, a middling armored+shielded T2 infantry unit with a little ranged attack tacked on. Overall I find they shine the best manning walls as they can shoot and fight off climbers effectively compared to dedicated ranged units.

Vampire Coast gets some squishy hybrid units too but in comparison they have way more ranged upgrades and are far more cost effective/easy to replenish quickly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Build a frontline of Spear kossars, have regular kossars behind as archers and maneuver as required

Pray you don't fight Drycha too early because you have very, very few tools until Streltsi become available

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DaysBefore posted:

I don't look at the numbers and insyead recruit what looks cool much easier than doing math

Foolish, math is cool

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Build a frontline of Spear kossars, have regular kossars behind as archers and maneuver as required

Pray you don't fight Drycha too early because you have very, very few tools until Streltsi become available

Every gime I underestimate Drycha's dryads and get absolutely rolled lol

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

DaysBefore posted:

I try to get her into wars with Azhag and dwarves asap if I can. She'll blend her way up into the mountains, but start taking some serious attrition over time and then you can back cap her and just overwhelm or outplay her. Or she goes straight through your heartland, burning everything in the way. You win some, you lose some. Do not get her to go to war with Kislev, she just wins and starts scaling.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

DaysBefore posted:

I don't look at the numbers and insyead recruit what looks cool much easier than doing math

:hmmyes:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

They're not unbeatable, but they have to be handled very carefully. If you have Streltsi they are a minor nuisance

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm restarting my Archaon campaign now that I have a grasp on mechanics, my last one I focused on the tribes and ignored capturing LL as if they were pokemon. If I were going to make thematic armies, I should be having them led by LL, right?

Anyway, let's see if I got characters right, because they are a mess of upgrade options.

- Melee heroes are only Nurgle and Khorne, right? So that's easy.
- Wizard Lords can stay as undivided Daemon Princes, or go with a particular god depending on their Lore, eventually becoming a Daemon Prince and having a mixed god/whatever lore.
- Wizards lords of Death and Shadow can go Nurgle with Death or Nurgle Lore, or stay undivided with Lore of Fire.
- Wizard Lords of Fire and Metal can go Tzeentch of Metal or Tzeentch. Daemons mix Metal and Tzeentch.
- Wizard heroes can go Tzeentch or Slaanesh.
- Melee lords can go either Khorne or Slaanesh, but I'll probably not use them if I can get an appropriate LL. The Slaanesh one is a melee/caster hybrid, so that can be helpful.

So far I think I'm going all in into Daemon Princes just for the sake of it, unless there is a very compelling reason not to (besides being killed when getting sad).

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah I either kill her off ASAP via ambush cheesing, basically, or I have to wait until later in the game when I have better troops. I hate her rear end.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
drycha is strong but not my friend

DaysBefore posted:

math is for defenders. always be attacking

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

wedgie deliverer posted:

I've been messing around with a bunch of mods and I had a question that Google doesn't seem to have an answer for: Does the Unnatural Selection Mod count minor factions as playable if you're using Mixu's Unlocker?

I don't know for sure, but there's a way to test it. If you make it so that only "playable" factions are allowed buffs, and set the range of those buffs from -4 to -4 (which is code word for "kill this faction at end of turn 1"), then see who is left at the start of turn 2. If it considers minor factions playable, then every single faction on the map should die.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The game somehow gives so much information that I'm overwhelmed trying to piece it together, but also so little information that I don't understand what the mountain of info I'm given is even supposed to convey, let alone how it interacts with the mountain of info I've been given for an enemy unit, so I don't care about any numbers besides leadership and speed

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Part of the confusing thing is that there's two layers to combat: the statistical values and straight up physics. The statistical values are well defined-a models Melee Attack interacts with a targets Melee Defense, then non piercing damage is calculated against armor, the amount of damage traded/direction of attack impacts leadership, and stamina impacts all these parameters. So in a vacuum, units close in stats can be locked in a battle of attrition for a long time, while units with high stats will effortlessly carve their way through weaker units.

But this isn't always the case because physics also comes into play. Units can stagger and knock down targets. Knocked down targets don't appear to get attacked. Some units like chariots seem to be able to damage units just by bumping into them. Projectiles indiscriminately hit and damage whatever is in their path. Units cycle through attack animations, some of which are aoe attacks which greatly dilute their stats, and it's unclear if MA vs MD is getting calculated on everything a giants club brushed against. Units in melee contact seem to get tarpitted and even distant models from the unit will get severely hobbled. Unit behavior gets really weird when pathing is screwed up (which in turn limits map design as cool elaborate maps cause infantry units to just act really derpy trying to navigate obstacles.).

All this contributes to making combat really opaque and counter intuitive. Sometimes units that should be good vs X on paper are mediocre and sluggish to do their job, some targets that should be utterly screwed seem to linger way too long because of physical limitations (weak lords getting dogpiled by medium quality units).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

One of the more interesting bits is to watch an infantry unit fight a lord at different unit sizes. On Ultra, a lot of lords just get swamped up and never really kill their way out of a tar pit. On small/medium, the Lord is way, way more damaging.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Panfilo posted:

some of which are aoe attacks which greatly dilute their stats, and it's unclear if MA vs MD is getting calculated on everything a giants club brushed against.

When a model does an attack, it has an attack AoE, usually a cone of some size and shape. Every model in that AoE is considered a potential target, but units also have a maximum number of targets defined in their database entry. A random number of models in the AoE equal to the max targets will be chosen to be actually Attacked. Every model in the AoE is subject to potential knockback/stagger, but only the Attacked models compare MA/MD and can take damage.
Damage is divided by the number of Attacked models, whether it hits or not. So if you have a lord with 500 weapon strength who is Attacking 10 models, each hit can potentially deliver 50 damage, before armor.

The exception to this is Priority Targets. Single-entity units and chariots are Priority Targets. They are always chosen to be Attacked, and when a Priority Target is Attacked, no other model in the AoE is Attacked. You can see this in action: have a lord fight another lord, and have a blob of infantry around them. The infantry won't take damage unless the attack animation's swing doesn't include the enemy lord at all.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thWs9MQB7DA

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Malsangoroth posted:

I don't know for sure, but there's a way to test it. If you make it so that only "playable" factions are allowed buffs, and set the range of those buffs from -4 to -4 (which is code word for "kill this faction at end of turn 1"), then see who is left at the start of turn 2. If it considers minor factions playable, then every single faction on the map should die.

This worked and the answer is that they do not conflict. All the elector counts lived through the end turn with Mixu's LL on.

Thanks!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Kaza42 posted:

When a model does an attack, it has an attack AoE, usually a cone of some size and shape. Every model in that AoE is considered a potential target, but units also have a maximum number of targets defined in their database entry. A random number of models in the AoE equal to the max targets will be chosen to be actually Attacked. Every model in the AoE is subject to potential knockback/stagger, but only the Attacked models compare MA/MD and can take damage.
Damage is divided by the number of Attacked models, whether it hits or not. So if you have a lord with 500 weapon strength who is Attacking 10 models, each hit can potentially deliver 50 damage, before armor.

The exception to this is Priority Targets. Single-entity units and chariots are Priority Targets. They are always chosen to be Attacked, and when a Priority Target is Attacked, no other model in the AoE is Attacked. You can see this in action: have a lord fight another lord, and have a blob of infantry around them. The infantry won't take damage unless the attack animation's swing doesn't include the enemy lord at all.

That's interesting. Do knocked down models take damage? They can sometimes take a while to get up.

In theory, a unit can batter aside many enemies and survive by virtue of disrupting enemy attacks. Monstrous infantry with poor defense/Ld seem to heavily rely on this phenomenon to survive, because in spite of having decent damage and armor pierce they'll soak too much damage and rout vs enemies that poke back. Sometimes though this doesn't seem to translate to a lot of damage actually dealt and I wonder if it has to do with the time it takes the model to actually initiate it's attack animation. While most melee attacks operate on a fixed attack speed this assumes the model is in range to actually initiate it, and getting staggered or the enemy model darting out of range seems to reset the "timer".

If you look carefully, some models seem to do a little "combo" as their attack animation. This is especially evident in "dual weapon" units which will do a little twirl slash+stab, I'm wondering how exactly this interacts with enemy models as it seems logical a dual weapon model would be engaging with multiple targets. Could also be my imagination but I swear some models have animations that cause them to leeroy Jenkins their way into the fray which would make sense for glass cannon melee units like Flagellants or Plague monks which can deal good damage but get rekt in return.

Edit: checked the video which explains why aoe doesn't do as much in melee as you'd think OK that makes sense now.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 6, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaza42 posted:

That's fascinating. I love this kind of mechanic deep dive.

Another interesting bit is the leadership penalties/bonus by having secure flanks.

e: And height advantages. It's substantial

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 6, 2024

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

That's fascinating. I love this kind of mechanic deep dive.

Another interesting bit is the leadership penalties/bonus by having secure flanks.

e: And height advantages. It's substantial

using actual tactics in battles is a huge force multiplier. the flanking stuff is great for terror based factions and how to chain break the enemy front lines. this is also where bats / dogs to tie up archers pays off bigly

oh and always be firing downhill if you can manage it. direct fire weapons benefit the most but flamethrowers get some good work in too

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
A really big help with combat is turning on the icon that shows what other units the unit you have selected can beat in a one on one. Makes putting things into winning engagements much easier, and knowing what units you need to gang up on or flank. It can sometimes not be totally accurate with single entities, but I've never had it steer me too wrong.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Unless, of course, you play a faction where your melee troops are not supposed to win a one-on-one.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

oh and always be firing downhill if you can manage it. direct fire weapons benefit the most but flamethrowers get some good work in too

With sufficient height advantage you can actually fire down onto engaged enemy melee troops from behind your melee troops which is a huge advantage. You can also let the enemy retain a height advantage so you can shoot into their ranks while engaged by your boys, even though it fucks up your melee boys. Basically, height is incredibly important.

Also, am I crazy, but is there a system that makes arcing ranged troops firing over their allies fire slower than if they're shooting unobstructed? I feel like I distinctly remember reading that.

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 6, 2024

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

A really big help with combat is turning on the icon that shows what other units the unit you have selected can beat in a one on one. Makes putting things into winning engagements much easier, and knowing what units you need to gang up on or flank. It can sometimes not be totally accurate with single entities, but I've never had it steer me too wrong.

One thing that's helped me is skirmish vs AI. If I'm playing a faction I'm not super familiar with, or fighting an army/units I'm not familiar with, I'll often jump into the Skirmish and test units out in basic fights to see how they actually handle.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I’ve got 600 hours in WH3 and probably 2,000 more across the rest of the franchise, and I have never heard of this button before :psyduck:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ages ago I had played around with a mod that tweaked unit collision distance. This had a few fun benefits, such as making aoe even more devastating but also was helpful in improving unit pathing particularly in siege battles.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I admit, I had always wondered what the impact of cranking down unit sizes for performance reasons were. So it ends up being a net benefit to heroes/lords?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I believe lords also get a HP decrease. So do SEMs.

Dragons flying at a lord will almost destroy it on small unit sizes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A bit, it also reduces their health (and I think some other things) to try and balance it but some things are just way too different.

For example, a mortar blast that would normally one-shot 10% of a goblin unit on ultra can potentially now mulch 90% of a goblin unit. A lord who has wide attacks or an AOE aura that drains nearby units can probably do a lot more damage, since they can hurt a lot more dudes. For example, you can fit 100% of an army around a mortis engine.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Please elaborate. never heard of this.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Eschatos posted:

Please elaborate. never heard of this.

When you have a unit selected, hold the spacebar button down to activate the detailed view. One of the things that'll show up is colored exclamation mark icons over the heads of enemy units - green ones are weak against the unit you have selected, red ones are strong against it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

DaysBefore posted:

I just started a Malekith game and I think instead of paying attention to these previous posts about pathing concerns, height advantages, aoe damage, etc., that I will now focus on guys that ride dinosaurs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
"With your pc, you could lead an army of thousands of theorycrafted micromanaged meta units into victory!"

"But I don't want to micromanage units, I just want to ride dinosaurs into battle!"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
my favorite army, which takes a loooong time to build up to if you want to do it in a campaign, is still Kroq-Gar on Grymloq + 19 scar veterans on T-Rex mounts.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

my favorite army, which takes a loooong time to build up to if you want to do it in a campaign, is still Kroq-Gar on Grymloq + 19 scar veterans on T-Rex mounts.

All pompous skinks on stegadons is also hilarious. The artillery will break the enemy army before they can even think about marching towards you

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm trying to think of a way to beat or even slow down that army and coming up short. An army of Exalted Bloodthirsters maybe?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm trying to think of a way to beat or even slow down that army and coming up short. An army of Exalted Bloodthirsters maybe?

I have lost to an AI army once with that setup and it was Ikit with a full stack, plus another three full stacks of skaven, and in an ambush. Basically they had enough shooty guys that they were able to whittle down enough scar veterans to freak the rest of them out, and there were so many slaves/clan rats/stormvermin that it was nearly impossible for my dudes to kill their way out of the blob fast enough to get to the jezzails/ratlings/cannons. I wish I still had the screenshot of the aftermath.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You could do pretty good with 10 hand gunners, 9 halberdiers, and a lord with hold the line

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The simple Ice Guard doomstack for Katarina is pretty solid and best of all with Upkeep discounts ends up being cheaper than Kossars as well. The slowing effect also stacks with the lore of ice slow debuffs so you can slow enemies to a crawl with so many slowing projectiles.

I think at one point vampire heroes had a '-2ld for enemy armies' passive or trait and an Isabella army of nothing but vampires could penalize enemy leadership so badly that units with low base ld would just immediately nope out when you'd start to get close to them lmao.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Panfilo posted:

The simple Ice Guard doomstack for Katarina is pretty solid and best of all with Upkeep discounts ends up being cheaper than Kossars as well. The slowing effect also stacks with the lore of ice slow debuffs so you can slow enemies to a crawl with so many slowing projectiles.

I think at one point vampire heroes had a '-2ld for enemy armies' passive or trait and an Isabella army of nothing but vampires could penalize enemy leadership so badly that units with low base ld would just immediately nope out when you'd start to get close to them lmao.

Dread Incarnate. Most vamp heroes can get it, and it applies to the region overall iirc. Also, the first point in red line for vcounts gives -2 ld in region if I'm not confusing sfo with it. It takes awhile, but you can absolutely still make -ld stacks for vcounts that can just autowin every fight.

This is how I deal with annoying AF later game factions for vcounts like chorfs or dawi that last into end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Honestly they should probably make the -leadership traits not stack beyond a point since it's rather silly to cause enemy armies to start with 5 leadership.