Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I’ve made a stupid amount of characters in this game. something about the early/midgame power curve is really addictive for me, you can choose to make like half the zones in the game your “first” depending on build goals and pain tolerance.

I’ve only taken two chars to NG+. specifically, my original character to see what it was like, and my death sorcerer, who basically needed NG+ to hit the stat goals. I was a bit disappointed with NG+ to be honest, I thought Sekiro was as good as they’ve ever done NG+ mechanics and Elden Ring seemed like a step back from that. In particular it sucks you lose your great runes. I earned that buff once, you should be letting me power it up more, not making me lose it. And if I want to do Morgott and Fire Giant as my first two bosses in NG+, that should be my grace-given right.

Also, if you ever want to make a new character start a bit gentler, add FEXTRA to your group passwords. Super busy group, you will constantly get rune bonuses from other people killing bosses

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I used Shard Spiral against large bosses and it absolutely shreds. :stare:

I think it's even easier then the golden toot because I don't need to sit and channel the bubbles.

I don't understand why anyone would not help Sellen because you get all the actual good rewards (cosmetics). And she gets what she wants too. Which is to become a Graven Mage so everyone's happy?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah I am keeping my original to do random MP and find more secrets.

My fresh start is just to redo the Volcano Manor quests that I hosed up and also a different ending.

My next guy is going to burn everything to the ground. :torygov:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

OGS-Remix posted:

I think it's even easier then the golden toot because I don't need to sit and channel the bubbles.

I don't understand why anyone would not help Sellen because you get all the actual good rewards (cosmetics). And she gets what she wants too. Which is to become a Graven Mage so everyone's happy?

Because it requires betraying Jerren who is a chad a fellow Carian bro as well as this games rendition of Grandpappy Gale.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Ionicpsycho posted:

My God, I finally beat the game for the first time. My terrible build right before choosing an ending.

Lol. Only thing I'd do differently is turtle talisman instead of swaddle cloth.

Rofl. "Terrible", as in destructive.

(Also you should use the lower level elemental resistance incantations to resist holy for the final fight)

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 6, 2024

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

OGS-Remix posted:

Sellen's stuff is great for Int builds, not so much for non-Int builds, and Jerren gives you what I believe is the only ADSS you can get pre-Morgott.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

skasion posted:

Also, if you ever want to make a new character start a bit gentler, add FEXTRA to your group passwords. Super busy group, you will constantly get rune bonuses from other people killing bosses
SEEKERS is also good, VaatiVidya promotes it a lot. Reddit's code is 'straydmn' (short for stray demon apparently). Between the two of them I basically always have the rune buff up, and if you're on PS5 or your internet sucks, it seems to help find summon signs a little.

SA's is LLJK as always and I've seen a few pings from it. SOULS and BEZERK are also supposed to be fairly big.

E: 'help' is supposed to be popular as well.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 6, 2024

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

got into this again after a near two year sabbatical and it's even better than the last time

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

When you were at the windmill village, I studied the uchigatana. When you were grafting troll arms to yourself, I mastered the Ashes of War. While you wasted your days at the festival of Radahn in pursuit of gravity, I cultivated a DEX/ARC build. And now that the erdtree is on fire and the tarnished are at the gate, you have the audacity to come to me for jolly co-operation?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My friends and I beat the Fire Giant last night finally, we then attempted to beat Malenia a couple times but the seamless co-op scaling combined with an easily tilted friend who has a great shield and no concept of "don't absorb hits with your shield" we decided to say gently caress it and lit the forge and left that fight for the next solo, non-modded playthrough. I am actually quite curious to see how many of these long drawn out boss fights we've had in co-op will be a breeze solo because the extra HP scaling for the mod really is a bit insane.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Grappling with Mt. Gelmir

I successfully defeated Rennala after a few more attempts, and finished out Raya Lucaria Academy - everything I could find, at least. Just like Stormveil, I'm sure there are a few hidden areas that I have yet to uncover and I'll be returning after a while to give it a full clear before I call it done. In the meantime, holy crap! All this useless sorcery bullshit for my strength/faith build character! At least i know where I"ll need to head to first when I start my Dex/Int character for my second run.

After killing Rennala, I did a little bit of exploring. I figured that her Great Rune would be activated at the Divine Tower of Liurnia, so that's where I went next. It took me a couple of tries to kill the NPC that kept teleporting around, but eventually I was victorious - and discovered I was at a dead end. There's a pedestal at the bottom of the tower that needs something which I don't have - I'm guessing that will give me access, whenever I find it. I went back south into Limgrave and took care of a couple of the evergaols, including one where after I killed the boss, Blaidd was waiting for me outside. I guess he asked me to kill this one? Sure, no problem, done and done. And then I discovered the ramp leading down to the beach, where I absolutely murderized everything I found including the Coastal Cave. Yeah, I should've come down here much earlier than this, but it's always nice to demolish enemies in Souls games, so it was a fun diversion. This also led to an amazing moment where, after I killed the two bosses, I continued further into the cave expecting to find an exit somewhere else in Limgrave. When I emerged and saw I was on the small island off the coast of Limgrave, I had a taste of the feeling I got waaay back in DS1 when I used the Undead Parish elevator for the first time.

It was around this time I switched to using the Golden Halberd, and holy(!) poo poo does this thing absolutely smash. Love killing shithead skeletons without worrying about them rebuilding themselves afterwards. While riding around, I also came across a pathetic sort, a guy named Haight. I recognized that name - I cleared a fort with that name. He asked me to kill the commander. Already done buddy, so now he's chilling at the Fort (I'm guessing, I haven't been back yet) and I'll go see him eventually.

Ah well, moving on. I ventured north into Carian Manor, cleared that place out (gently caress those hand monsters, those guys are absolute assholes)and met Ranni as well as a creepy rear end sorcerer. That guy gave me a potion to give to a woman who I have no idea where she is. I took the potion back to Roundtable and agreed to give it to the leader of the Roundtable because gently caress that skeevy rear end magic user. Maybe I broke that questline, but I don't care - I'm not gonna give someone this random potion that does god knows what. Maybe next run, when I do magic stuff.

Finally, I explored the grounds around Carian Manor. I found a way down into the river that comes out of a mountain. I thought it was going to be a short little cave dungeon like I've found a dozen times over, but nope - it just kept going up. And up. And up. And I killed another dragon. And made it to the Altus Plateau, land I've only ever heard about. Continuing to explore, that took me to the foot of Mt. Gelmir.

And I found a nice little trail made of rainbow stones. Now, I'm not an idiot - I knew what was coming. But I had to let it happen. Patches has to have his day. I got my rear end kicked into the ravine, avoided being killed by the basilisks, and went back to Murkwater to confront the fucker. He's no longer there. So I'll keep my eye out for that traitorous scumbag as I continue forward. He mentioned Volcano Manor (that sounds metal as gently caress) so I'm guessing that's where he'll be next.

So that's where I am. I have two great runes and have been told to go to the Capital, but I still got exploring to do. Mt. Gelmir awaits, Caelid and Redmane Castle are still practically untouched, and I have a few other quests that are pushing me away from Leyndell.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Don't drug strangers, yeah.

Also, Ranni is great, definitely do her quest even on a STR/FTH build. The reward you get won't be usable for you, but the questline itself is really cool and a major source of lore about the history of the Lands Between.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If you can handle Altus you can probably handle Caelid (with the exception of Radahn, that's a fight I honestly don't ever think I'll do legit - you either cheese it or luck out on summons who can survive the second phase).

I am looking forward to attempting Fire Giant again later tonight, this time with the firedrake +2 talisman equipped :sweatdrop:

E: also out of curiosity I saw Elon Musk's build just now, and uhhh...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The game literally gives you an army of NPC summons for Radahn. Please respect the traditions of the festival.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Seperate 'oh no' seperate post:

https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1754873420704059884

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Lucas Archer posted:

Grappling with Mt. Gelmir

So that's where I am. I have two great runes and have been told to go to the Capital, but I still got exploring to do. Mt. Gelmir awaits, Caelid and Redmane Castle are still practically untouched, and I have a few other quests that are pushing me away from Leyndell.

So much fun to watch you work through all this. Btw if you look at the runes you'll notice that the one you got from renalla is already active. Maybe go back and talk to her, see what's up.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Annath posted:

Don't drug strangers, yeah.

Also, Ranni is great, definitely do her quest even on a STR/FTH build. The reward you get won't be usable for you, but the questline itself is really cool and a major source of lore about the history of the Lands Between.

Yeah, I was accepted into her service and am currently on the quest to find Nokron. I think I'll do that before continuing to explore Mt. Gelmir, since I already know where the Siofra river is, and I have a site of grace already uncovered down there.

Benagain posted:

So much fun to watch you work through all this. Btw if you look at the runes you'll notice that the one you got from renalla is already active. Maybe go back and talk to her, see what's up.

I can't check now, but when I've sat and looked at my Great Runes at sites of grace, Godrick's was the only one visible. I'll have to check again next time I play. I have no doubt I"m capable of missing something obvious.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lucas Archer posted:

Yeah, I was accepted into her service and am currently on the quest to find Nokron. I think I'll do that before continuing to explore Mt. Gelmir, since I already know where the Siofra river is, and I have a site of grace already uncovered down there.

I can't check now, but when I've sat and looked at my Great Runes at sites of grace, Godrick's was the only one visible. I'll have to check again next time I play. I have no doubt I"m capable of missing something obvious.

This is going to sound dickish but I swear isn't: check the inventory not just whether you can equip it

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Benagain posted:

This is going to sound dickish but I swear isn't: check the inventory not just whether you can equip it

It's all good. I'll take a look later on today when I get a moment to load it up.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
oh the beloved fromsoft tradition of just throwing things at you wtihout ever mentioning what they actually do.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Extra fun when you nab something under fire and then when you get a minute try to find wtf it was :v:

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Yeah I would appreciate it if I didn't have to hunt through all of talismans/key items/spells/info/tools/everywhere to find out whatever I just pulled out of corpse or a beetle actually is.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

You can sort inventory by most recent.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was watching a video that said the icon in the top left of the popup tells you which section it goes in, but that relies on you recognising the section icon while also, as pointed out above, trying to dodge the two sword lions trying to fillet you.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Glimpse posted:

You can sort inventory by most recent.

:aaa:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

(with the exception of Radahn, that's a fight I honestly don't ever think I'll do legit - you either cheese it or luck out on summons who can survive the second phase).

i got my rear end kicked about ten times where it was not even close and I couldn't see much recourse before I went "hmm, scarlet rot ate this guy inside out, maybe rotten breath ... ???" and then he died

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zodium posted:

i got my rear end kicked about ten times where it was not even close and I couldn't see much recourse before I went "hmm, scarlet rot ate this guy inside out, maybe rotten breath ... ???" and then he died

the two most powerful things in the game about a giant tree are tree cancer and fire.

also shoutout to Radahn, such a badass in life that his followers continue to fight to contain the rot after he went bugfuck :metal:

wait poo poo what's the one smilie with the axe?

edit: oh in regards to inventory:

You can sort your weapons by attack power

Benagain fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 6, 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Benagain posted:

the two most powerful things in the game about a giant tree are tree cancer and fire.

also shoutout to Radahn, such a badass in life that his followers continue to fight to contain the rot after he went bugfuck :metal:

wait poo poo what's the one smilie with the axe?

edit: oh in regards to inventory:

You can sort your weapons by attack power
:black101:

Also, I think people are probably traumatized from launch day Radahn. He is not that hard since his nerf, especially since you can do the fight whenever you want. A character leveled for Leyndell will trounce him.

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 6, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

is there a way to get the dung eater puppet without getting boggard killed? apparently the trick with aggroing him and then seeking absolution after the moat fight was fixed in 1.10, and I need my crab.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bobby Deluxe posted:

luck out on summons who can survive the second phase).

Casting Golden Order (either the spell or the weapon art version) on a horde of NPC summons will drastically improve that luck.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zodium posted:

is there a way to get the dung eater puppet without getting boggard killed? apparently the trick with aggroing him and then seeking absolution after the moat fight was fixed in 1.10, and I need my crab.
According to the wiki buying a prawn while he's at his Liurnia shack is what triggers him to move to Leyndell's moat. So don't do that until after you've finished off Dung Eater?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, presumably the only thing you miss out on is the seedbed curse, but I don't think you need all of them to complete the quest.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Raygereio posted:

According to the wiki buying a prawn while he's at his Liurnia shack is what triggers him to move to Leyndell's moat. So don't do that until after you've finished off Dung Eater?

i already did because i didn't know about the change until I looked it up when I got to leyndell :smith:

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
You can still get delicious crab from his bell bearing?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

... oh yeah, he drops the bell bearing. duh.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
smh if you don't keep crab man alive

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LazyMaybe posted:

smh if you don't keep crab man alive

This. Keeping homeboy alive far surpasses any reward from the poop guy especially of you already gave away Seluvis's potion.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zodium posted:

i already did because i didn't know about the change until I looked it up when I got to leyndell :smith:
"Never met someone with a taste for prawns I couldn't trust."
You ate prawns together and he trusts you. So keep the man alive.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

explosivo posted:

My friends and I beat the Fire Giant last night finally, we then attempted to beat Malenia a couple times but the seamless co-op scaling combined with an easily tilted friend who has a great shield and no concept of "don't absorb hits with your shield" we decided to say gently caress it and lit the forge and left that fight for the next solo, non-modded playthrough. I am actually quite curious to see how many of these long drawn out boss fights we've had in co-op will be a breeze solo because the extra HP scaling for the mod really is a bit insane.

If you're curious, you could always go back by yourself and try it - you can just load your Seamless Co-op save file and not actually host/join with other players. If you decide to take another crack at it, Malenia can also be bullied by effects that launch such as charged Crucible Horns, so it's possible to keep her mostly stunlocked and just be whaling on her constantly.

I'm doing a seamless co-op run with a couple of friends and we have the enemy and item randomizer mod going, with the bonus feature of everything has a 1/1000 chance of being Malenia, which is a blast as every so often when we're running around someone will just go 'poo poo gently caress gently caress gently caress' and visibly panic flee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i killed him. 🖕