Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

fatsleepycat posted:

horde battle ahead of it.
That was my biggest factor in how fast I finished.

If you're great at fighting gloom monsters, it will go by quickly. If you're only up to "pretty good", an autobuild of a hover stone + construct heads + beam emitters will reduce that time (and potentially aggravation) a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Alternatively you could just get a bunch of bomb arrows and lynel bows and carpet bomb the entire area in bullet time.

I wanted more monsters to fight. I was smiling like a moron going through that last stretch feeling like it was an uphill climb the entire time.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

While searching the sky for Sage's Wills, I finally looked up high enough above Lookout Landing and discovered where the original tablet came from. Could've sworn I already looked there after spotting it on the map, but I guess I just didn't look high enough. Took forever to get to and I can't find anything noteworthy about it now that I'm up there. Is there supposed to be something else there, or is it just because it's logical given what's directly below it?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Why would there be anything left up there? It fell.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Namnesor posted:

Why would there be anything left up there? It fell.
:shrug: because it's difficult to get to and videogames often hide poo poo in locations that are difficult to get to?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
But it fell.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
There's nothing up there any more, but it's also the highest point on the map, so you can jump off and fallfly a ridiculously long way from up there. I kept a teleport pad up there for most of the game so that I could use it as a jump-off spot.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Picayune posted:

There's nothing up there any more, but it's also the highest point on the map, so you can jump off and fallfly a ridiculously long way from up there. I kept a teleport pad up there for most of the game so that I could use it as a jump-off spot.

Yeah, same here. I really enjoyed the view and just having fun seeing how far I could get when I jumped and glided.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Ugh.
I keep forgetting about the teleport pad thing :saddowns:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol this is a neat trick

https://x.com/simaubaka/status/1756511168569757906?s=20

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

That’s just running away with fewer steps

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Good figures are coming

https://x.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1756472146946036139?s=20

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Im missing one last lightroot

This sucks

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Anyone taking bets on which one it is? (I know which one it is)

Minor tip: If you haven't realized by now, there's a lightroot beneath every shrine, so compare your overworld and depths maps

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Im missing one last lightroot

This sucks

There is a really well hidden one to the east of the castle depths.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This was my last one

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah that one was a bitch. My very last one was near the fire temple. It covers like one square millimeter of darkness and is way the gently caress up high on a ledge. I had to reach it with a hot air balloon.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is that the one on its own island? How do you get there?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

RCarr posted:

Is that the one on its own island? How do you get there?

The non-spoilery answer is to check very thoroughly.

The spoilery answer (assuming this is the one I'm thinking of) is to look along the water's edge on the western side of the island. You might need a boat for it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

quiggy posted:

The non-spoilery answer is to check very thoroughly.

The spoilery answer (assuming this is the one I'm thinking of) is to look along the water's edge on the western side of the island. You might need a boat for it.

Yep, that's the one I was mentioning.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If the one everyone is talking about is Apapes, I got that one

Docjowles posted:

Yeah that one was a bitch. My very last one was near the fire temple. It covers like one square millimeter of darkness and is way the gently caress up high on a ledge. I had to reach it with a hot air balloon.

This is the second-to-last one I got.

The missing final one is probably another 1 sq mm root and flipping back and forth between the surface and depths mas is really annoying.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The missing final one is probably another 1 sq mm root and flipping back and forth between the surface and depths mas is really annoying.

If you've still got a sandstorm going somewhere in the desert it's a lot easier to do the flipping in one - you don't have all the other map distractions going on.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Yep, it was a really tiny darkness zone that looked the same as a zonai cache spot :toot:

Has anyone figured out the hit rate on Flint Roulette?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Which one was it? It was the one next to Tarry Town for me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Who else has this epic game on their backlog? I gotta beat it before its one year release anniversary. That's what I did with BoTW actually, I beat it in like February 2018 nearly a year after it hit. Took a break in the middle to play some Yakuza games and stuff.

Also I just find it funny to give myself a lighthearted deadline. So I guess I should try to beat this within the next three months!

Really awesome games, I just tend to binge and I guess burnout for a bit and mix it up with other games. And for me BoTW was over 200 hrs and is about tied for longest game I've beaten with Skyrim.

Tears I think I'm about 25% into, did the Wind temple and a lot of exploring etc.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 25, 2024

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Do it OP

Btw if you start getting close to your deadline and start thinking of skipping some content and going straight to the end - don’t! At the very least, getting all of the geoglyph memories - especially the last, unlockable one - is crucial to understanding the ending

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I forget the exact terms but there’s like main story quest, side adventures, and side quests. Side quests there’s 5 million of and you can miss them all without missing the main thrust of the story. The adventures aren’t required but you are missing out on very cool and important content if you skip them.

Once you roll credits you can load a save from immediately before endgame and hunt shrines and do side quests etc at your leisure

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm with them. They do a good job at setting up a nice, satisfying ending.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sounds good!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’ve found all the shrines and light roots, working on a bunch of side quests now. I’m definitely not going to find all the korok’s, but I’ll attempt to find all the caves and bubuls.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I about to go fight the final boss and I'm a few hearts short of max. I finished all the shrines, so are there some containers out in the wild somewhere

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Do you have stamina maxed out? As far as I know, the game just gives you enough to max out one or the other but not both.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Captain Hygiene posted:

Do you have stamina maxed out? As far as I know, the game just gives you enough to max out one or the other but not both.

Really? Thx Nintendo

I have max stamina too, so I guess it's checks out

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I about to go fight the final boss and I'm a few hearts short of max. I finished all the shrines, so are there some containers out in the wild somewhere

There's one extra either heart container or stamina not tied to shrines, but you can't max out both

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you have three full stamina bars and 38 hearts you’re at the max.
I always figured it’s like that because they don’t want yellow hearts and yellow stamina to just stop existing once you max out everything

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Augus posted:

If you have three full stamina bars and 38 hearts you’re at the max.
I always figured it’s like that because they don’t want yellow hearts and yellow stamina to just stop existing once you max out everything

I assume this is the logic too but it still bugs me because just like yellow stamina becomes its own separate wheel regardless of how much you already have, they could make yellow hearts occupy a separate row no matter how many hearts you have. Like sorry but 40 hearts and max armor is already broken, 60 hearts and max armor isn't actually that much of an upgrade.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I wish they would patch in hard mode and bring back gold tier enemies instead of stopping at silver.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Just realized I've had this game for eight months and have never really posted my thoughts about it. Not that anyone asked, but I just feel the need to mentally check the box of posting my thoughts on it somewhere. So, apologizes in advance for the random negative longpost.

Something I'm sick of hearing is how "BotW is like a tech demo of TotK", because for me, the exact opposite holds true. While I will agree that in some ways BotW was a tad "empty", and there were certainly some janky "unfinished" aspects, like how the majority of the items you picked up had no real use, I feel that [with the DLC] it had just the right amount of stuff to do. TotK, on the other hand, feels like they took BotW and absolutely loaded it to the loving brim with distractions and filler.

BotW was all about simplicity and elegance. You pick a direction you haven't been yet, you go that direction. The fun is making your way across the land and exploring and surviving. Along the way to your destination you encounter things to do and complete, but they never really feel like they're competing for your focus from the main quest. There was subtlety and simplicity to everything about the design, and the result was that the game had a perfect feeling of "flow" that was perfect for a chill gaming experience. BotW did and still does feel like an antithesis of modern gaming because of that simplicity, whereas TotK is very much a bloated, modern game that is constantly in-your-face and guiding and distracting you to make sure you experience the things you are supposed to experience, and in the correct way.

TotK is overwhelming with constant, endless distractions. Endless things competing for your attention. Tons of hand-holding and directing. Every NPC you talk to makes sure to triple re-iterate everything they want you to know and do, for instance. In BotW it was fun to talk to to random NPCs because most of them would just have some random thing to say, but in TotK probably 90% of them are giving you a blatant hint or direction.

BotW also managed to never really feel like a grind. By exploring any new area you basically naturally collected enough resources to level up and advance without specifically needing to go out of your way to do so. TotK, on the other hand, requires you to grind like hell to level up pretty much anything.

One of the biggest mistakes IMO was allowing you to launch yourself all over the map, skipping any sense of exploration. Maybe they understood that we didn't need to explore the same map again, but that just drives home the feeling that I can never escape when playing this game, and that is that I would much rather have had an entirely new map to explore rather than a bunch of filler added to the existing one to skip around on. Yes, there's The Depths, but they're an absolute slog to explore, and the sky islands are just too sparse to really feel like much of an exploration.

The story - neither are great, but I can't stand how TotK tries to walk the line between being a sequel to BotW and it's own thing at the same time. For this it is narratively worse than BotW.

Crafting and building - I don't care about it at all. People say you can mostly ignore it for the main game, but this isn't entirely true. Most puzzles in the game require some form of crafting. The rare instances where you have to craft something to traverse a land obstacle are also annoying because it's always just best to just build the most basic things, which is tedious. "But - autobuilder!" Yeah, it's great for a little bit until you run out of materials to build and have to go back down to the Depths and grind away for more. Weapon crafting also sucks and just makes the weapon breaking that much more annoying, because now you not only waste time crafting the weapon, but you lose two resources when they break.

Finally - the "temples". My overall opinion of this game could have been raised significantly if the temples had been proper Zelda temples like they hinted at. But instead they're easy as poo poo, "activate 4 or 5 things", a rehash of the Divine Beasts without the fun element of controlling the structure. The act of getting to them is kind of cool, but is also preceded by a lot of filler consisting of being sent back and forth to talk to different characters for no real reason other than padding.

I don't know, I could keep going on and on but I'll stop here. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a lot of cool stuff in this game, but overall I find it to be a worse experience than BotW in just about every way, to the point where it seems like the legacy of BotW has been tarnished a little. I played the hell out of BotW and completed everything you could do, including the DLC and minus the 900 Korok seeds, in just a few months. Eight months in and I have only done half of the main quest of TotK and I can only manage to muster up playing it for an hour or two every few weeks. I have no desire at this point to do everything and will probably eventually just finish the main quest and never play it again.

Tl;dr: IMO TotK is a bloated mess of a game that actively works against much of what made BotW so memorable. It's a frustrating and grind-heavy game that lacks the elegance and flow of BotW.

I'm sorry to bump a quote up from last month but I agree 100% for this take. BotW is probably my favorite game of the last decade. I loved exploring it, but it also just felt both peaceful and *terrifying* at the same time - like encountering Guardians (at least until late game when I had all the ancient tech gear/arrows) is one of the most nerve-wracking things I'd encountered in any video game. BoTW felt like a real place.

I put 150 hours into ToTK over six months (I have a very busy job, family, kids, I only get a few hours of game time a night if im lucky) and I remember completing the last of four main "temples" and just being...burn out. Its just too full of stuff, the world feels too cluttered, its almost too much game? I mean don't get me wrong, its a very good game, and I had a lot of fun over those 150 hours but I'm just so burned out. I put it down a month ago to play other games in my backlog I haven't touched in half a year and I've felt no urge to pick it back up again.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I agree with most of it, I did enjoy the fusing and building stuff but overall it definitely was a lot more modern open worldy and I’m not really into game as grocery list so it ended up as an inferior experience for me also.

I wish the sky islands had been a bigger chunk of the game, depths were cool in theory but I would have definitely taken less of them if it meant more sky time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Here we go again with people “copping the jankiness” or whatever :rolleyes: