Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arrath posted:

I adore C&C but I will say it only really came into its own in RA2 and there was more differentiation between units than "4 flavors of tank with increasing cost and shootiness"

TS was baller as hell and achieved that well but I think RA2 really hit it out of the park.
While I more or less agree, I will say that I played Starcraft before playing the original C&C and, having no idea of the release order, the latter immediately felt more advanced to me. Units could move and shoot at the same time! Rudimentary projectile physics existed! You could squish infantry! No selection limit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Mordja posted:

Turns out Starcraft's gameplay was always middling and outdated, saved by unique faction design, memorable campaigns, and psychopathic Koreans. C&C was always better, to say nothing of TA, the true choice for the discerning, forward-looking individual. :smug:

:hmmyes:

convincing the entire industry that the Blizzard style RTS was a good paradigm to follow is the worse crime of the studio after the actual crimes

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

After playing TA where after some insane multi hour battle the whole battlefield is just clogged with so many wrecks you'd have to nuke them to clear a path to enemy...then going to Starcraft where at the end of a match the map is just empty was a shocker.

Got a unit cap have to build houses can't just pump out basically infinite robots??

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arrath posted:

I adore C&C but I will say it only really came into its own in RA2 and there was more differentiation between units than "4 flavors of tank with increasing cost and shootiness"

TS was baller as hell and achieved that well but I think RA2 really hit it out of the park.

RA2 is sooo good and really where WW outdid themselves in every aspect. To the detriment of every game that came before and after.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Assessor of Maat posted:

:hmmyes:

convincing the entire industry that the Blizzard style RTS was a good paradigm to follow is the worse crime of the studio after the actual crimes

Legit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Skill issue

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Idk, I like unit balance. It's nice.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I like watching my workers do their thing gathering resources while swatting away pesky flies trying to disrupt them.

I like to build a pretty base and surround it with defensive structures.

And then I like to build units from every facility and blob em up and send them to the other guy!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I still watch korean starcraft broodwar matches to this day, and I was so into Company of Heroes 1 that when my cpu cooler died I just opened the case on it's side and angled a box fan at it, but the peak RTS game ever made was C&C Generals

music: amazing
faction diversity: crazy unit differences AND different generals for each faction
unit upgrades: shoes & ak47s for everybody

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Deakul posted:

I like watching my workers do their thing gathering resources while swatting away pesky flies trying to disrupt them.

I like to build a pretty base and surround it with defensive structures.

And then I like to build units from every facility and blob em up and send them to the other guy!

We've all been playing rts games wrong

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

gently caress that looks nice and cozy. :kimchi:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The story behind it's even funnier, some guy on reddit is like "yeah I build a farm for all my unused herdables in the late game"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

After playing TA where after some insane multi hour battle the whole battlefield is just clogged with so many wrecks you'd have to nuke them to clear a path to enemy...then going to Starcraft where at the end of a match the map is just empty was a shocker.

Got a unit cap have to build houses can't just pump out basically infinite robots??

I've very recently gotten into Beyond All Reason and playing it makes me want to weep for the creativity this genre lost.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Captain Beans posted:

ak47s for everybody

I can still hear this so many years later. The delivery is just too good.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Alchenar posted:

I've very recently gotten into Beyond All Reason and playing it makes me want to weep for the creativity this genre lost.

Is BAR any good compared to TA or SupCom FAF? I've been hesitant to pick up any new ones in the genre to avoid the disappointment I had with SupCom 2

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Slaan posted:

Is BAR any good compared to TA or SupCom FAF? I've been hesitant to pick up any new ones in the genre to avoid the disappointment I had with SupCom 2

BAR fuckin rules, just go download it

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

Slaan posted:

IMHO, BAR is definitely much better than SupCom2.

BAR plays just like TA, but with many nice modernizations, QoL improvements, and some units and ideas from SupCom and (notetably, shields and experimentals).

If you like TA, you'll like BAR (I know I do). If you are SupCom fan, I think you'll like it too. Though do note that BAR is a lot less turtle friendly than SupCom (but that's why I like it).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ugh, Petroglyph is still doing this crap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlHeZn6yj7c

The demo felt no different than the other 3 games except now it's just a worse Generals with the worst art style known to man. :geno:

Now this is some good loving RTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5O6gJhS0-Q

Age of Mythology/Warcraft 3 flavored, the demo is incredibly promising!
Feels like a lot of heart was actually put into this.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 6, 2024

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
.BAR is yet another Spring engine game. How many TA remake on Spring engine do we need?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I would say that BAR is excellent TA, but I miss some of the stuff that Supcom had (didn't like Supcom 2 which felt like a step backwards). I watched a lot of Supcom FAF during lockdown which I felt strangely soothing to watch, and I like the midgame stability that Supcom has before everyone starts their lategame pressure, where as with BAR it feels like most games one person will slip up slightly and the result will sudden immediate collapse and fail cascade across the team.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah BAR is great. Actually captures the feel of TA.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I do wish Planetary Annihilation hadn't whiffed.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Homeworld 3 demo is on Steam. I've just gone through tutorial so far, but it looks so nice...

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kashwashwa posted:

Homeworld 3 demo is on Steam. I've just gone through tutorial so far, but it looks so nice...

Holy poo poo i didnt know they were doing a demo!!

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

pedro0930 posted:

.BAR is yet another Spring engine game. How many TA remake on Spring engine do we need?
It's more like one single TA remake of Theseus. The lineage goes Absolute Annihilation (TA mod) -> AA (Spring) -> Balanced Annihilation -> BAR

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Woah the homeworld 3 demo is their multiplayer coop mode too!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't played BAR yet, does it somehow manage to escape that Spring Engine stank?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

there's a guy on youtube who commentates on ranked aoe2 matches, but specifically games with low skilled players. he calls it Low Elo Legends. they are always really fun games. sometimes people will be building cute bases, or a player will do a strategy that's really novel but not meta at all, all sorts of weird poo poo.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Is BAR close to coming to Steam? Really looking forward to it.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

:3:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I always play Poland in aoe2 because they have 3x3 windmills that line up perfectly with the 3x3 farms.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, couple of nextfest RTS demos that I personally haven't played this go around but were pretty well-made in the past: Godsworn and Global Conflagration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5O6gJhS0-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa4NxA21G5o

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

VostokProgram posted:

there's a guy on youtube who commentates on ranked aoe2 matches, but specifically games with low skilled players. he calls it Low Elo Legends. they are always really fun games. sometimes people will be building cute bases, or a player will do a strategy that's really novel but not meta at all, all sorts of weird poo poo.

That's sounds fun. It's interesting that RTS games are "meant" to be played aggressively by expanding and attacking first. But you can play them as a not-quite-chill base builder/tower defense game.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Revitalized posted:

This is late, but here's one more: Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga is really good.

It's like the closest thing I've found on PC to Fire Emblem.

Then may I introduce you to

https://store.steampowered.com/app/694770/Vestaria_Saga_I_War_of_the_Scions/

It's almost literally Fire Emblem because it's an indie game made by the former director of the old Fire Emblem games

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLujhLTK75g

What game is this? I scrolled down and it says AoE2 but unless it's a mod (possible), it only looks vaguely close to it on land and water doesn't look anything like it

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Looks vaguely like the original Cossacks, but in a different language.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/cossacks_anthology

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Slaan posted:

BAR is fantastic and it's the only Spring-engine game I've played that genuinely feels like a TA successor. The art design, gameplay, and camera perspective all hit the right notes.

Mordja posted:

I haven't played BAR yet, does it somehow manage to escape that Spring Engine stank?

imo yes it avoids that "ick" I always felt playing Spring Engine games

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 8, 2024

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLujhLTK75g

What game is this? I scrolled down and it says AoE2 but unless it's a mod (possible), it only looks vaguely close to it on land and water doesn't look anything like it

yeah that's the first Cossacks, youtube's automated labelling system is (unsurprisingly) total dogshit

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Joe Chill posted:

That's sounds fun. It's interesting that RTS games are "meant" to be played aggressively by expanding and attacking first. But you can play them as a not-quite-chill base builder/tower defense game.
That's kind of what the coop modes in SC2 and now Stormgate are.

Stormgate is fine, it's just a lot earlier than you usually do an open beta for a game. There's no tier 3 at all, no third faction, the coop mode only has two subfactions and a single map, no sign of any campaign or 3v3 or custom games (which are also considered pillars according to the devs), etc. Tons of polish stuff is obviously missing.

Each new testing version has been a notable step up in quality from the last, and I'd expect this to continue. The engine seems to be pretty solid (other than fps performance): highly responsive, solid pathing, good netcode, so there's a good core there. There are some users saying it's the best for netcode they've ever seen, from South Africa or Australia.

Granted, I don't think the art style they chose is doing them any favors among the strategy game crowd. I don't hate it, but it's not exactly inspiring.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is cossacks 3's single player worth giving a shot? When I was a tiny ninjewtsu I really enjoyed american conquest, and was incredibly befuddled at how the cossacks game I actually owned worked. It'd be fun to revisit the series if the latest game isn't bad