Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't gotten to it yet but it's definitely better than the OG game, where if you were keeping everyone about evenly leveled for most of the game then just getting the final skills for your final boss party meant an hour or three of grinding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The only ones that really need their final skills are Yukari and Ken, right? Maybe Junpei. Mitsuru doesn’t need Mabufudyne, Akihiko and Aigis are too busy doing other things.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mitsuru's final skill in P3 FES (maybe it's different in vanilla vanilla) is Ice Amp.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh then yeah you definitely want that, it’s been a while.

I don’t think I ever really used her endgame, she’s good but I think I just did Yukari/Junpei/Akihiko.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Student council guy is way worse than Kenji.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Flowing Thot posted:

Though Kenji does also unlocks foody cultist.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What's the list of S-Links in 3 people actually like without feeling creepy about them or how you have to act to them (bc Maiko gets a lot of praise herself, but it's always with the undercurrent of "you're a victim blamer if you're going for max points")?

It seems to just be

-Akinari/Sun
-Maya/Hermit
-Tanaka/Devil
-Old Couple/Heirophant
-Bebe/Temperance
-Mutatsu/Tower

Which, 6/22 is 3/11ths, which is Not A Good Sign.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is eating the 2x academics seafood course like always the right choice lol

I can't tell if there's a difference between that and the normal course which also gives two points, at least visually.

But! Sometimes there will be study sessions, and if there are a lot of characters involved, you can get 3 musical notes instead of two.

--

Man the shrine is so strong, I have stocked up on so many passives it's incredible, I can just fuse whatever and just implant them with the corresponding skill. I am destruction incarnate, at least in the midgame.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I keep hearing about how the dorm is too bright and ruining some intended creepy ambience and it’s like, my friend, did you hear the soundtrack of that place

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Flowing Thot posted:

Why? He just wanna get rid of smokers

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
welp my "best"(???) friend is dating the teacher, directly because of my encouragement, and i feel fine about it.

gently caress y'all i'm glad my bro is getting some, as long as he doesn't talk about it constantly in irritating detai- wait, didn't i play this already? dammit he's gonna do exactly that isn't he

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Absolutely loving P3R so far, am about four hours in. New presentation, new music, new style, new VAs and new/revamped music are all fire. I wish shifting came with bonuses like baton pass did but love the presentation of it anyway.

Hearing the bookstore couple with voice acting was :3:, I worry that Sun and Hanged Man will wreck me.

My only real issue is after two hours of grinding in Tarturus and smashing every last one of those statues I didn't get a single twilight shard, literally not a single one?? So there were so many treasure chests I had to leave unopened, how lame.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 6, 2024

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

Junpei posted:

What's the list of S-Links in 3 people actually like without feeling creepy about them or how you have to act to them (bc Maiko gets a lot of praise herself, but it's always with the undercurrent of "you're a victim blamer if you're going for max points")?

It seems to just be

-Akinari/Sun
-Maya/Hermit
-Tanaka/Devil
-Old Couple/Heirophant
-Bebe/Temperance
-Mutatsu/Tower

hermit is probably one of the creepiest in the game, all things considered

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Adrianics posted:

Absolutely loving P3R so far, am about four hours in. New presentation, new music, new style, new VAs and new/revamped music are all fire. I wish shifting came with bonuses like baton pass did but love the presentation of it anyway.

Hearing the bookstore couple with voice acting was :3:, I worry that Sun and Hanged Man will wreck me.

My only real issue is after two hours of grinding in Tarturus and smashing every last one of those statues I didn't get a single twilight shard, literally not a single one?? So there were so many treasure chests I had to leave unopened, how lame.

statues with twilight shards glow blue instead of orange, and yeah they’re very rare. I’m around 25 hours in and I think I’ve found four or five?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I wonder if the intention was that you would progress through Tarturus slowly and build up twilight shards via building SLs and going to the Velvet Room, rather than being a big unadventurous nerd like me and following that 100% guide

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Junpei posted:

It seems to just be

-Akinari/Sun
-Maya/Hermit
-Tanaka/Devil
-Old Couple/Heirophant
-Bebe/Temperance
-Mutatsu/Tower

I'd say Akinari, Tanaka, Old Couple, Bebe, Mutatsu at least. Yuko is good. I'd add Yukari I think, I don't think it's a really creepy link. I don't remember the male side of Fuuka's link.

I think Mamoru's is okay? Possibly Keisuke's but he's such a nothingburger I barely remember him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Weird how those are also the links (bar hermit) that survived the cut for FeMC social links, almost as if they knew which ones were bad and only chose to keep Emperor for some reason.

And then gave us Saori as the alternate Hermit which is an absolutely wild social link that I still don't know what to think about.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Junpei posted:

It seems to just be

-Akinari/Sun
-Maya/Hermit
-Tanaka/Devil
-Old Couple/Heirophant
-Bebe/Temperance
-Mutatsu/Tower

why is that not a good sign

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Junpei posted:

It seems to just be

-Akinari/Sun
-Maya/Hermit
-Tanaka/Devil
-Old Couple/Heirophant
-Bebe/Temperance
-Mutatsu/Tower

Why is it just the extremes here

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Adrianics posted:

i pretty much just open 2-shard chests since boots and accessories come out of them, and thats where you find the poo poo like mages mark. Sometimes i open the 3 stars on miniboss levels b/c the gear out of them sometimes pops up on elizabeth requests, but i also try to keep like 20 shards minimum and dont always open chests on subsequent block clears, but that's mostly a me thing since "i cleared it once i'm not going to need this stuff anymore and i can buy better stuff after the full moon".

I just got koromaru and boy he's very strong with both the fire/dark damage options and its so much nicer to have another dark source than the MC. And my god the temperance major arcana card is really loving good (maybe it's a different one but there's one that gives you a 2nd shuffle pick. insane). And i kind of like how the MC gets theurgies from having random sets of personas created since its a nice way to get me to fuse more than i usually do

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 6, 2024

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Still fairly early on but I can already see them addressing some of P3's balance issues by the fact that Junpei has group attacks and Yukari learns Sukunda, which not only gives her something to do if the enemy resists Wind, but also alleviates pressure from Akihiko to do all the debuffing.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

the best balance improvement is letting me get a second swing of the sword for when i misjudge distance on my first swing so the shadow doesn't turn around and own me

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Janissary Hop posted:

the best balance improvement is letting me get a second swing of the sword for when i misjudge distance on my first swing so the shadow doesn't turn around and own me

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

This game looks good, has great voice acting, and the music sounds much better than I was led to believe. Solid A-grade so far

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gonna be difficult deciding whether to romance Yukari or Yuko, both are great.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

sorry everyone as the new leader of this outfit I decree that none of you are going to sleep tonight until we get enough cash so I can spend it all at the arcade

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

sorry everyone as the new leader of this outfit I decree that none of you are going to sleep tonight until we get enough cash so I can spend it all at the arcade

i genuinely miss the mechanic where they would just go "gently caress this" and leave after a while if you tried to grind

or steal the money from treasure chests and use it to buy stupid poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite anti-grinding mechanic is in tales of destiny dc for the ps2 where if you set all the party to ai control and run around on the world map for too long the final boss from an entirely different tales game shows up and instantly kills you

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Thank you modder that made a mod to let me use Wiping All Out as my battle music in P3R.

https://gamebanana.com/sounds/72455

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
why would you ever pick that over the other two lmfao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
anyway goty

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wiping all out rules

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Stux posted:

why would you ever pick that over the other two lmfao

For the same reason as I play P3R I keep thinking to myself I should just go play P3P again.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
brain damage?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Wiping All Out ftmfw, as is Its Going Down Now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Flowing Thot posted:

For the same reason as I play P3R I keep thinking to myself I should just go play P3P again.

They just let people post anything on this message board these days...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Something is hosed up about the way this game handles 2 displays. It starts up fine on my main display, but switches to the other when I load a save (and then freezes for a couple minutes before I can do anything). Changing the display to the correct one can fix this temporarily, but when I load a save again it happens again.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Huh, that's wild. Are you running it in fullscreen or something? I have two monitors and haven't run into that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
got to yabbashah... the block redesigns are so godly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Endorph posted:

my favorite anti-grinding mechanic is in tales of destiny dc for the ps2 where if you set all the party to ai control and run around on the world map for too long the final boss from an entirely different tales game shows up and instantly kills you

is it possible to beat them??