Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think most VE mods just give flavor that's missing from the game so usually for the planting mod and the cooking mod the only reason I grow anything other than corn or rice is for the roleplaying aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Dunno-Lars posted:

For your killbox, any stone combined with plasteel behind where you shoot the enemies will give you more hp than any stone.

I like skirting my backstop and areas directly surrounding my turret emplacements in uranium since it's still strong enough to survive a turret explosion and not create a gap in my walls. I tend to have more plasteel needs and demands than uranium, which I'll only otherwise use for the occasional warhammer, mace, or piece of marine armor. I'm fine with using it up as defensive building material when I've got a stockpile.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eiba posted:

You've got a very different early game component economy than I do if a bunch of spare solar panels and batteries is 'no serious infrastructure'. And even then you're just making a tiny little sun lamp size field. Someone just going for rice is going to make lot more food just spamming crops everywhere and not worrying about power, and they'll be a lot more secure from more kinds of threats, spending their components on necessary weapons.

Like, there's a point at which your base has matured and you have infinite steel and can manufacture your own components and you can do whatever you want, and you might as well play around with corn at that point, sure.

There's a long stretch of time in a colony between "so early that you're wringing your hands over spending a dozen or so components on power generation instead of making 1.5 assault rifles" and "steel and components are completely trivial". Defenses can be shored up in a lot of ways that don't require component usage, to boot - burn boxes, trap corridors, and simple roof trap setups all exist and don't require a single component. If you're EXTREMELY poor, greatbows can also carry you surprisingly far until you can steal weapons from dead people.

How much benefit you get out of an early corn pivot also depends on how many colonists you have. I'd generally make the argument that having fewer pawns means pivoting to corn is a higher priority, because the primary benefit it provides is the massive increase in labor efficiency and that is amplified if you have fewer hands.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

Rock types don't really make a difference. It used to be that granite was worthwhile because it has the most HP of any stone, but most breachers have a way to one shot any stone walls so it doesn't actually make much of a difference. Sandstone is the fastest to build with so it's probably the actual "best" for building. And marble has the best beauty bonus.

If you're just relearning the game you do not need to worry about that level of optimization.

that's good to hear tbh

for whatever reason the rock thing was stuck in my head as a "you will regret this for the rest of the playthrough" kinda thing. not sure if that was ever even true :iiam:

on a different topic how much extra Work do the dlc's add? i stopped playing last time right around the time the ideology dlc dropped. royalty doesn't sound like a ton of fun to me having to deal with an empire faction but the biotech dlc sounds like it introduces a ton of fun stuff

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
There was an argument to be made that rock types mattered for base aesthetics but painting things different colors is part of the base game now so that no longer matters. Granite is still nice to have because it has enough HP to survive a raider beating on it until they get bored and marble for the innate beauty bonuses, but for the most part it doesn't matter.

DLCs don't really add extra work, you can easily ignore the Empire if you don't want to deal with them and you can outright remove them from the world generation process if you want. Ideology can be a little trickier but there are options to tune that. Biotech is also largely opt-in for the mechanics, though you may need to work faster on getting your base fireproofed before your first impid raid.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Your Computer posted:

that's good to hear tbh

for whatever reason the rock thing was stuck in my head as a "you will regret this for the rest of the playthrough" kinda thing. not sure if that was ever even true :iiam:

on a different topic how much extra Work do the dlc's add? i stopped playing last time right around the time the ideology dlc dropped. royalty doesn't sound like a ton of fun to me having to deal with an empire faction but the biotech dlc sounds like it introduces a ton of fun stuff

Granite walls used to matter more in like beta16, back when sappers had to dig through your walls with their bare hands. Now they get explosives and breach axes and can punch through in seconds.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
oh god manhunter skiphound pack

the walls do nothing

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Your Computer posted:

that's good to hear tbh

I think Ideology is the one that adds the most extra work if you choose a heavy impact meme. Royalty is fun, dealing with the empire faction is optional along with the whole nobility system. Biotech is both the most fun and the most complex one.

I know people like hating Royalty, and it's definitely the expansion where they were still figuring out what to add, but I think the three expansions justify their own existence.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is there any indication/way of knowing if you're supporting overhead mountains properly? i am working on digging out a small mountain next to my base and i placed down a pillar but as far as i can tell there is nothing showing whether or not the ceiling could still collapse and i'm worried...

lunar detritus posted:

I think Ideology is the one that adds the most extra work if you choose a heavy impact meme. Royalty is fun, dealing with the empire faction is optional along with the whole nobility system. Biotech is both the most fun and the most complex one.

I know people like hating Royalty, and it's definitely the expansion where they were still figuring out what to add, but I think the three expansions justify their own existence.

thank you!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i think it's like 6 or 7 open tiles of any kind of roof can be supported by a single wall, you're for sure good.

the main difference in columns is that they're prettier and they are passible, walls provide cover in case you have enemies inside the actual base

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Your Computer posted:

is there any indication/way of knowing if you're supporting overhead mountains properly? i am working on digging out a small mountain next to my base and i placed down a pillar but as far as i can tell there is nothing showing whether or not the ceiling could still collapse and i'm worried...

thank you!

There just needs to be a support within six tiles of the roof to not collapse. Any sort of column or wall counts for that, so any space smaller than 12x12 can be supported by surrounding walls.

You can hold up entire overhead mountains on nothing but wooden columns spaced 12 tiles apart.

EDIT: On second thought I guess that last part's technically not true since it's six tiles orthogonally meaning supports are circular so you'd to space them 8 apart to cover diagonals, but you get my point hopefully

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 8, 2024

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
thanks y'all! i was really hoping the overhead mountain would turn light green or something to indicate that i'm doing it right but i guess i just gotta be careful how i build

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Your Computer posted:

When you build a column you’ll see a circle projected around it when you’re deciding where to place it, this is the radius of ceiling that will be safe as long as the column remains intact. Walls also support this exact same radius.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Vanilla Recycling Expanded's been released (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3155781848) and it's giving me thoughts about finally starting a new game.

I wonder if it's possible to start with a planet that's a blighted wasteland with a plan to clean up and repopulate it.

The only way I found to affect world map pollution is Yayo's Pollution (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2891389292), but pollution spread and cleanup there is based on faction bases rather than any of the ways you control pollution on your settlement map.

I've used Vanilla Outposts Expanded (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2688941031) for doing something useful with spare colonists, but
a) they don't work well with colonists that have chemical dependency
b) they're annoying to defend
c) they give a *lot* of resources

I was wondering if there are any mods for sending your colonists away to join another faction (where they might return to visit with a friendly faction caravan) without selling them into slavery.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Your Computer posted:

thanks y'all! i was really hoping the overhead mountain would turn light green or something to indicate that i'm doing it right but i guess i just gotta be careful how i build

Selecting build column and mousing over the area you're working on is an easy way to see how far columns/walls will support a roof. Weight doesn't matter, any wall/column will support any roof.

Light green indicates "thin" roofs, which are identical to constructed roof you can build yourself, you can add or remove them.

Darker green is 'overhead mountain' which cannot be changed or removed, is better at temperature insulation, and hive infestations can only spawn in dark green.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

13x13 works

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i thought i was a genius quickly researching pemmican so we could mass produce it and have enough food without worrying about animal husbandry and crop farming yet. i had like 800 pemmican stocked up

suddenly i get a warning "low food". i uh... i forgot they eat like 40 of them per day. winter is gonna be rough :shepface:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Your Computer posted:

i thought i was a genius quickly researching pemmican so we could mass produce it and have enough food without worrying about animal husbandry and crop farming yet. i had like 800 pemmican stocked up

suddenly i get a warning "low food". i uh... i forgot they eat like 40 of them per day. winter is gonna be rough :shepface:

I always gently caress this up whenever I do a tribal/medieval run

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tesla was right posted:

I've used Vanilla Outposts Expanded (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2688941031) for doing something useful with spare colonists, but
a) they don't work well with colonists that have chemical dependency
b) they're annoying to defend
c) they give a *lot* of resources
(...)
I love outposts expanded because it lets you scale resource generation mid to late game without scaling the pawn count and melting your processor. But it's probably one of the best (worst?) examples of the vanilla expanded balance being royally hosed up. The upside is a lot of the numbers are tweakable in the mod settings, but you have to play with it for a while to feel out what is and isn't balanced and adjust accordingly. My major observations about it to date are:
  • Turn off the outpost raid poo poo. Yeah it's a balancing mechanic but the pawns aren't tracked properly between the raids (which is sort of the whole point) so inevitably you wind up with starving, fatigued, recreation-deprived victims who can't flip a light switch let alone fight a raid. As a side bonus the outpost maps are tiny and have poor defenses so it's trivially easy for the raiders to kidnap everyone and run away before you can meaningfully do anything about it. It's basically the outpost equivalent of the mechanoid invasion bullshit from VFE:Mechanoids, frustrating busywork that doesn't add anything. Just turn that poo poo off and ignore it.
  • A lot of the output amounts aren't... great, in either direction. The one that "feels" closest to balanced is probably the mining outpost, you can get some good returns with heavy pawn investment but you can still get a meaningful trickle from one or two pawns; you still might want to turn it down a little if you're on a flat map though to no trivialize the resources. Considering that as a base the hunting outposts are vastly overtuned and should really have their outputs tuned down by at least 50% (I settled on ~66, two thirds reduction). The logging outpost is also a bit overtuned but not quite as much. On the other side the farming outposts are horrible, you only get yearly deliveries and the numbers aren't all that great; turning it down to per-quadrum deliveries and cutting the output by two thirds or so (so the individual deliveries are a lot smaller and more frequent but you're getting a bit more over the long term) seems to match much better. Production outposts feel about right, Scavenging can probably stand to have the deliveries made bi-yearly instead of yearly, and so on; I usually only wind up using the basic ones so you'll kind of have to make your own judgment call.
  • Don't send anyone with diseases or dependencies to them since they aren't tracked or tended properly and the pawn will just up and die eventually. Dumb? Yeah, but it's easy to work with I guess so, whatever. :effort:
Most of this honestly seems pretty obvious which makes it even more annoying that the default balance is god awful, but having most of the options tweakable in game rather than requiring fiddling with the XMLs makes me forgive a lot of it for the sake of my poor ancient computer's health.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Harsh, harsh experience means I no longer make that mistake.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
The entire raiders have noclip is vanilla, right? built a killbox as usual, but instead of filtering through the corridors to the bit where they get shot one by one in a line like they used to they all surge through the one tile wide tunnel in a single gigantic mass that fills a couple of tiles and expands instantly when it gets outside the tunnel.

Next question, any mods that fix it back to the way it used to be?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

King Doom posted:

The entire raiders have noclip is vanilla, right? built a killbox as usual, but instead of filtering through the corridors to the bit where they get shot one by one in a line like they used to they all surge through the one tile wide tunnel in a single gigantic mass that fills a couple of tiles and expands instantly when it gets outside the tunnel.

Next question, any mods that fix it back to the way it used to be?

There's youtube videos about stacking but basically enemies who aren't "in combat" can stack and will fit an entire horde into a single space. Once they're "in combat" they can't stack anymore and have to spread out.

If you get them "in combat" before filtering into your kill box, they'll unstack and you'll get a nice orderly line.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OGS-Remix posted:

There's youtube videos about stacking but basically enemies who aren't "in combat" can stack and will fit an entire horde into a single space. Once they're "in combat" they can't stack anymore and have to spread out.

If you get them "in combat" before filtering into your kill box, they'll unstack and you'll get a nice orderly line.

This is also why your dipshit Lifters can path right past your melee guy blocking the door frame and into the swarm of people/bugs that want to smash stuff god dammit

I'm not mad

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
im doing a prehistoric biomes, all tribals run and three t-rexes wandered in. how boned am i?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eiba posted:

Honestly, I'd default to rice always unless you have year-round growing, or you're very short on labor. The difference in yield is minuscule, and the number of things that can go wrong with corn are nearly endless. I'd especially want to emphasize that if you have a winter at all it's almost impossible to time corn efficiently. How do you know when you can put your last crop in? If you really want to min-max you could put in one crop of corn at the start of the season, and then switch over to rice to make the most of the rest of the growing period, but that's a lot of fiddly management when you might as well just plant rice.

If you rely on corn then blights, cold snaps, and toxic fallout all become potentially colony-ending threats, while rice just laughs them all off. And that's to say nothing of raiders who will set fire to your fields, unless you actually manage to have them all behind your killbox.

Yes, in a perfect vacuum/ideal circumstances you can get a tiny bit more food with a lot less labor through corn, but if you're that secure you don't need to be min-maxing that hard anyway. The only time you'll really care about razor thing marginal differences, you'll be in circumstances where rice is the safer choice.

Corn takes 4x as much time to grow for 4x more yield compared to rice, so in terms of nutrition you can think of it as 4x less labor to plant and harvest for the same amount of food. That's an enormous benefit. Corn is also shelf stable 4x longer, you basically don't need to put it in your freezer unless you are planning to keep it around for several years

Ideally you plant rice until you have a nice stockpile and then you transition to corn for the big labor savings, it's not micromanagey at all you just click on the picture of rice and change it to corn. If 1 destroyed harvest ends your colony then it's because you didn't have enough food stockpiled, after the first successful corn harvest you shouldn't need rice at all. Protecting crops from raiders is easy as poo poo, just build a wall.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I don't fret too much about my crops because the good lord Randy blesses me with regular infestation events and provideth me with an overflowing chalice of insect meat. On my last colony I took the "loves eating insect meat" precept and just operated deep drills to summon infestations whenever I needed some food source. Plus with that precept, using insect meat in simple meals gives you slightly better mood bonus than fine meals without the extra work.

Randy says you will eat the bugs and you will like it :yum:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
did they ever change how the storytellers work? i read the thing in the op about how non-randy storytellers just kinda eventually ramp up to unwinnable conditions and it sounds awful so i've always played with randy, but i know that post is many years old now

World Famous W posted:

im doing a prehistoric biomes, all tribals run and three t-rexes wandered in. how boned am i?

prehistoric biomes? t-rexes? i need to know how to do this

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

did they ever change how the storytellers work? i read the thing in the op about how non-randy storytellers just kinda eventually ramp up to unwinnable conditions and it sounds awful so i've always played with randy, but i know that post is many years old now

Funnily enough there was just a discussion on this a few pages back, and the answer is not really but now you have settings you can fiddle with directly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Your Computer posted:

prehistoric biomes? t-rexes? i need to know how to do this

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2860715703

And no, the storytellers still work basically the same way. Pheebs and Cass will eventually start sending such huge raids at you that you can't realistically stop them, whilst Randy can do that it's just bad RNG if he does, he's by no means guaranteed to and will be far more likely to send a whole mix of stuff your way. Though if you get especially unlucky he can throw stuff at you that the other two would never dream of, but that's Rimworld baby!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
now that i'm starting to remember how the base game works i feel the lure of the dlc, notably biotech

i looked it up and it sounds like all the baby features are restricted to straight pawns, are there any good mods to expand this without having to resort to heterosexuality?

i'd love to hear recommendations on queer mods in general :shobon: i have one mod i think is called "rational romance" or something which is an odd name but it takes the "gay is a rare trait" thing and just ditches that in favor of giving every pawn an extra trait for straight/gay/bi/ace but i feel like especially now that all these dlcs are out there's more you could do with the game

hope this isn't a can of worms :can:

Ms Adequate posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2860715703

And no, the storytellers still work basically the same way. Pheebs and Cass will eventually start sending such huge raids at you that you can't realistically stop them, whilst Randy can do that it's just bad RNG if he does, he's by no means guaranteed to and will be far more likely to send a whole mix of stuff your way. Though if you get especially unlucky he can throw stuff at you that the other two would never dream of, but that's Rimworld baby!

Thank you :kimchi:

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I think it's called Rational Romance because it also makes pawns not make themselves miserable by constantly flirting on a 1% chance

also there's some mods that let you do same sex IVF, like the mod Samesex IVF

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
here's what I use:
Samesex IVF as mentioned
Way Better Romance fleshes out sexuality traits in various good ways
Gay Gene just codes preference genetically (i.e. "born that way")
Male- and Female-Only Genes fix gender by gene
Hermaphrodite Gene all pawns can become pregnant by all pawns without resorting to external womb ultra tech stuff

you can combine these to set up a custom starting xenotype so you could have the primitive tribe of all-male all-gay mudbear clan that can shoot out babies like fire hoses

Your Computer posted:

be aware a bunch of this stuff gets rated poorly on steam by, well, the people you can probably imagine, it is not a reflection on these mods' quality.
ps: yeah all of these except Way Better Romance depend on Biotech, which you should get, because it adds the capacity to do all this interesting stuff

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 9, 2024

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

be aware a bunch of this stuff gets rated poorly on steam by, well, the people you can probably imagine, it is not a reflection on these mods' quality.

yeah i tried googling this on my own and ended up seeing some horrible posts from the official forum so i decided to ask here instead of digging more :negative: i'll be sure to check out the mods you listed and i appreciate it a ton :kimchi:

unrelated sidenote what the fresh hell

e: on a lighter note

Flesh Forge posted:

you can combine these to set up a custom starting xenotype so you could have the primitive tribe of all-male all-gay mudbear clan that can shoot out babies like fire hoses

bless you

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 9, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Your Computer posted:

unrelated sidenote what the fresh hell

this comes up from time to time, yes there are a couple of extremely gross preset pawns that were bought in by backers (Emie is another really bad one)
here's a mod that indirectly blocks them from appearing:
Pawn Name Variety

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Your Computer posted:

e: on a lighter note

bless you

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Your Computer posted:

now that i'm starting to remember how the base game works i feel the lure of the dlc, notably biotech

i looked it up and it sounds like all the baby features are restricted to straight pawns, are there any good mods to expand this without having to resort to heterosexuality?

i'd love to hear recommendations on queer mods in general :shobon: i have one mod i think is called "rational romance" or something which is an odd name but it takes the "gay is a rare trait" thing and just ditches that in favor of giving every pawn an extra trait for straight/gay/bi/ace but i feel like especially now that all these dlcs are out there's more you could do with the game

Thank you :kimchi:

Rational Romance is deprecated at this point, but Way Better Romance is its direct sequel (a line-by-line rebuild of the code with some added features) and it's great. It does everything you need, and also allows pawns to have - gasp - friendships. They'll hang out together for recreation! They'll go on dates! The extensive rebuild also enormously increased its mod compatibility.

I can also recommend Positive Connections, which lets pawns have random friendly (and even productive) interactions in the same way that they can randomly insult each other.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
cheers y'all, these recommendations have all been great! speaking of outdated mods i'm using edb prepare carefully to be able to save and load my favorite pawns but i saw a mod saying something to the effect of it being bad and shouldn't be used

is it another case of a different mod taking the mantle?

e: oh and completely unrelated, i tried to read up on the insect spawning thing but didn't get it - if i build a mountain fortress are they just going to randomly spawn on any tile inside of my house?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Your Computer posted:

cheers y'all, these recommendations have all been great! speaking of outdated mods i'm using edb prepare carefully to be able to save and load my favorite pawns but i saw a mod saying something to the effect of it being bad and shouldn't be used

is it another case of a different mod taking the mantle?

e: oh and completely unrelated, i tried to read up on the insect spawning thing but didn't get it - if i build a mountain fortress are they just going to randomly spawn on any tile inside of my house?

Ohhhhh yeah, rip out Prepare Carefully ASAP and replace it with Character Editor. EdP Prepare Carefully is profoundly outdated but the person who "maintains" (neglects) it refuses to acknowledge this, so it remains one of the most-subscribed Rimworld mods despite being a buggy mess. If what you're looking for is to save/load/tweak pawns, Character Editor has that function just fine and it's compatible with everything.

As for insect spawning, the precise mechanics of it are so dense and so visual that it really helps to watch a video on it. There was an effortpost in this thread somewhere with diagrams, but I can't find it offhand.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

or you get a mod like Infestations Spawn in Darkness which makes them work in a much more reasonable way then vanilla imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kestral posted:

Ohhhhh yeah, rip out Prepare Carefully ASAP and replace it with Character Editor. EdP Prepare Carefully is profoundly outdated but the person who "maintains" (neglects) it refuses to acknowledge this, so it remains one of the most-subscribed Rimworld mods despite being a buggy mess. If what you're looking for is to save/load/tweak pawns, Character Editor has that function just fine and it's compatible with everything.
ah, i figured it might be something like that. cheers!

Kestral posted:

As for insect spawning, the precise mechanics of it are so dense and so visual that it really helps to watch a video on it. There was an effortpost in this thread somewhere with diagrams, but I can't find it offhand.
any keywords i can look up? i found a super cozy spot nestled between a mountain and a river but the only place i can keep expanding is the mountain and i don't want bugs in my bedroom :ohdear: