Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Ruling refers to him as citizen Trump which is now trending, it makes him sound so unimportant.

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1754888689669243097

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

Ruling refers to him as citizen Trump which is now trending, it makes him sound so unimportant.

Citizen Deals about to freak the gently caress out on Truth Social probably.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Citizen Deals about to freak the gently caress out on Truth Social probably.

Oh how right you are

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Oh how right you are

lol, Trump did not write that. Not enough exclamation marks and capital letters.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

All the legal nerds I'm seeing on TV sound overawed by the strength of the DC ruling, like there's more than one now that seems to be saying "I don't even think the SC takes this up now, nobody could add anything useful to this ruling"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Generally it does take a lot of legal chutzpah to overturn the concept of "the law applies to all citizens of the United States" and only real pieces of work like Thomas and Alito would even think about anything else.

Watch this somehow only pass 5-4.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's funny that the threat is "Any Democratic president could face prosecution". Well, if they broke the law, fine. We're not cultists on this side fellas.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Roberts is going to beg GorKavBarrett to deny cert.

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1754925014762066412?t=fr3-VJl7pjuuwWoFoFBgRg&s=19

Trump’s Former Finance Chief in Negotiations to Plead Guilty to Perjury https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/01/nyregion/weisselberg-perjury-trump-fraud.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

So apparently weisselberg is making a perjury deal with the manhattan DA. The judge in the trump business case requested and immediate notification of what any involved parties know about this on the legal grounds of 'this motherfucker perjured himself in front of my court for your client'

So... Good day for trump, as always.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OgNar posted:

i am probably wrong but i dont think scotus picks that one up, a Unanmimous ruling with everything set down and trumps arguments are moonbat bullshit. i think they give a soft win to trump on colorado though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will never not misread that judge's name as Judge Energon.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am probably wrong but i dont think scotus picks that one up, a Unanmimous ruling with everything set down and trumps arguments are moonbat bullshit. i think they give a soft win to trump on colorado though.

I agree on both counts FWIW.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Caros posted:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1754925014762066412?t=fr3-VJl7pjuuwWoFoFBgRg&s=19

Trump’s Former Finance Chief in Negotiations to Plead Guilty to Perjury https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/01/nyregion/weisselberg-perjury-trump-fraud.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

So apparently weisselberg is making a perjury deal with the manhattan DA. The judge in the trump business case requested and immediate notification of what any involved parties know about this on the legal grounds of 'this motherfucker perjured himself in front of my court for your client'

So... Good day for trump, as always.

And, in a sweet little detail, he’s set the deadline for “you bastards tell me what you actually know to avoid sanctions” early enough such that the lawyers will have to file these statements before they’ve seen what facts Weisselburg is admitting by his guilty plea.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

And, in a sweet little detail, he’s set the deadline for “you bastards tell me what you actually know to avoid sanctions” early enough such that the lawyers will have to file these statements before they’ve seen what facts Weisselburg is admitting by his guilty plea.

Oooh that's a good one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mdemone posted:

I agree on both counts FWIW.

yeah. with the colorado thing, they have some cover, "trumps not found guilty yet so you cant do this" type deal. with the immunity poo poo, he has nothing but weird divine right of kings poo poo that only alito and thomas might buy but probably very few else.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder if all this ads up to Trumps company being given the death sentence?

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

It's even better if you read the beginning of that second paragraph in the voice of Tyrael from Diablo.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

How does this play out? Is Weisselburg under any obligation or inclination to tell them what he's going to admit? If not, what happens if the civil fraud lawyers reveal more than Weisselburg admitted to? Or more likely, what if they admit to little or nothing that eventually comes out?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

How does this play out? Is Weisselburg under any obligation or inclination to tell them what he's going to admit? If not, what happens if the civil fraud lawyers reveal more than Weisselburg admitted to? Or more likely, what if they admit to little or nothing that eventually comes out?

Sounds like a pretty terrible position to be in. Maybe if they tell the truth they'll have less to worry about in the future?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DarkHorse posted:

It's all their asses, in any of those situations. They better hope they can come clean about exactly when and where he perjured himself, and they better hope his allocution matches up with that.

Edit: if he has an email thread and supplies it to the DA, they'll give him a sentencing recommendation and then crucify the lawyers.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I want a bumper sticker that says, “No Kings, No Tyrants, No Trumps” in big bold block letters.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Murgos posted:

I want a bumper sticker that says, “No Kings, No Tyrants, No Trumps” in big bold block letters.

Love it. Put it alongside

"Both my grandfathers fought the fascists.
I'm sure as hell not voting for one."

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

zoux posted:

I didn't, but now I do and always will. You've FedEx arrow'd me into thinking about Beast Wars every time now. :mods:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

zoux posted:

Judge Egregore.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Judge Engorged

The Bible
May 8, 2010

The Islamic Shock posted:

So you are a credit risk because the illegal thing that happened is now something nobody can do to you on account of not being a minor but get hosed anyway, that's amazing

Texas is pretty much "gently caress you" on most legal issues that don't involve shooting a fleeing intruder in the back.

My father just decided not to pay child support and the courts were just like, "Well, did you ask him to? Yes? Tell him to come to court with you next time and we'll straighten it out."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, the counterside to this is that I have absurdly good credit because my aunt put me as a secondary name on her credit cards back in the early 80's. So I somehow have her credit history now, so I show as religiously paying down my credit balance every month for decades.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, my parents did this for me too when I was young. And later got me to apply for a low credit ceiling card and had me use it for everything and immediately pay it off to generate a good credit history.

I mean, as long as you pay off all your purchases every month, it's nothing but upsides to the user anyway. You pay the same (unless some retailers charge more for the use of credit, like some gas stations do) but you can get the cashback, travel miles, whatever on top for "free".

Having a stable family that cares about you sounds incredible. Like, literally fantasy world poo poo.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 7, 2024

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Judge Enraged, please dispel

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Judge E.N. Goron, from Hyrule.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

The Bible posted:

Texas is pretty much "gently caress you" on most legal issues that don't involve shooting a fleeing intruder in the back.

My father just decided not to pay child support and the courts were just like, "Well, did you ask him to? Yes? Tell him to come to court with you next time and we'll straighten it out."

That's just a side effect of Texas' hating women and children in all forms.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

tecnocrat posted:

That's just a side effect of Texas' hating women and children in all forms.

Solid point.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tesseraction posted:

Generally it does take a lot of legal chutzpah to overturn the concept of "the law applies to all citizens of the United States" and only real pieces of work like Thomas and Alito would even think about anything else.

Watch this somehow only pass 5-4.

I don't think even Alito and Thomas want to touch this idiocy. It's impossible to craft a ruling that wouldn't also apply to any Democratic President, and most of the poo poo that Donny is on trial for is things they don't want Democrats doing. Maybe they've got some sort of weird trick lined up to get Trump and only Trump out of this pickle, but they're 100% not going to rule that Presidents can't be punished for any crimes outside a successful Impeachment.

Even if we would all love to see the movie version of Dark Brandon two fistedly fixing the nation's problems as our 2 term God King.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Since when do we punish presidents on either side?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gyges posted:

I don't think even Alito and Thomas want to touch this idiocy. It's impossible to craft a ruling that wouldn't also apply to any Democratic President, and most of the poo poo that Donny is on trial for is things they don't want Democrats doing. Maybe they've got some sort of weird trick lined up to get Trump and only Trump out of this pickle, but they're 100% not going to rule that Presidents can't be punished for any crimes outside a successful Impeachment.

Even if we would all love to see the movie version of Dark Brandon two fistedly fixing the nation's problems as our 2 term God King.

I mean they could just pull a Bush V Gore and have the ruling say that the ruling only applies to this case and not to any other.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
Man Texas sucks sooo much I think at this point it would be in US's best interest to just give Texas back to Mexico.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kchama posted:

I mean they could just pull a Bush V Gore and have the ruling say that the ruling only applies to this case and not to any other.

That's been my fear since the outset. Don't want to have to live through that twice, and listening to my MIL down in Ocala freaking out because she voted for Nader.

Then again, TRump has vowed vengeance against all who have wronged him (well, everybody) and I'm sure that the folks sitting up on the SC don't want to cede any more power, or serve /stay alive at the pleasure of that maniac.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Knight007au posted:

Man Texas sucks sooo much I think at this point it would be in US's best interest to just give Texas back to Mexico.

Mexico has enough poo poo to deal with.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

Then again, TRump has vowed vengeance against all who have wronged him (well, everybody) and I'm sure that the folks sitting up on the SC don't want to cede any more power, or serve /stay alive at the pleasure of that maniac.
They pretty thoroughly rejected his claims in 2020 and his civil immunity. I’m pretty sure all of them are already deep into his get even list.

It’s not like Trump understands moderation or anything. They crossed him so they pay.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Murgos posted:

They pretty thoroughly rejected his claims in 2020 and his civil immunity. I’m pretty sure all of them are already deep into his get even list.

It’s not like Trump understands moderation or anything. They crossed him so they pay.

Yeah, and from Trump's narcissistic perspective it's even worse because he appointed them to the SCOTUS, as far as he's concerned that means they owe him absolute fealty to a degree even other people in his orbit might just be able to wheedle out of.

How is cert decided by the SC anyway? I think I heard it needs at least four Justices to agree to hear grant cert, but I don't know if I made that up in my head, if it's convention rather than law, or what. I can easily believe they can only wrangle two or three Justices to want to deal with this though, especially if the expectation is that the SCOTUS would just affirm today's ruling.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Murgos posted:

I've got a friend who might be able to help. Don't remember what their pricing is like. Can make custom bumper stickers/magnets, among other things. Want me to ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s 4 justices minimum for cert, but I don’t remember if that’s a law or a norm either. I’ve been having a fun think in the back of my head all day about if there are 4 that’d be game.

Thomas and Alito basically have a bye ; they’re “free” for the exercise and mean we really just need two who are down to clown(((world))).

Roberts - I don’t think he goes for it. He cares too much about his legacy and that of the court ; if he goes along with this there would be entire serious academic books about what an rear end in a top hat he is.

Sotomayer - No.

Kagan - No.

Gorsuch - Maybe??? I don’t think so, but I could at least buy it. He’s also the justice I know the least about.

Kavanaugh - I guess but he’d have to tie himself into some severe knots to make it happen. Also I think he’s been trying to rule slightly less-lovely lately as a PR thing so he might be especially sensitive to image concerns. Maybe. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Amy Comey Barrett - I don’t think so but maybe. She’s super conservative, but just her own weird kind of conservative that doesn’t jive with Trump.

Ketanji Brown Jackson - Lol gently caress no.

It’s certainly not impossible, but I’m not seeing too many paths to granting cert. But I’m also, as ever, just Some Dude so what do I know.