Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

checkplease posted:

What’s with January and February movies being a thing? It seems like there should be little competition if you got a big film. Or do people not go and watch films in those months?

It’s cold outside now so movies seem like a great option to me.

Traditionally, January and February was a dumping ground for studios to toss stuff they didn't care about or have faith in. It's right after the holiday/Oscar release season but before spring and summer blockbuster time. Theater attendance is usually down because of the cold, and when people do go, they're usually catching up on last months releases.

This is becoming less and less true as blockbusters creep into all parts of the year, and digital releases become more of a thing but you're still likely to see a higher concentration of garbage in the first two months of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They stopped doing it because Mortdecai came out and was the most January a movie could ever be

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Lighthouse is pretty good! Although I do need to talk to whoever does the music at A24. Lighthouse and Hereditary go way too hard on constant spooky background music.

It also reminded me a bit of Barry Lyndon, in that it really shows off how loving boring the past was. If those guys had a Nintendo and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, literally nothing bad would've happened.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
What if the mermaid figure had been a Pyra amiibo? In this essay, I will

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also makes it sound like violence and insanity is not present in our world with Switches

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pirate Jet posted:

What if the mermaid figure had been a Pyra amiibo? In this essay, I will

Now that I think about it, I can easily imagine of them picking Mythra and the other picking Pyra and coming to blows over that without realizing that they're both your girlfriend.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vargo posted:

Traditionally, January and February was a dumping ground for studios to toss stuff they didn't care about or have faith in. It's right after the holiday/Oscar release season but before spring and summer blockbuster time. Theater attendance is usually down because of the cold, and when people do go, they're usually catching up on last months releases.

This is becoming less and less true as blockbusters creep into all parts of the year, and digital releases become more of a thing but you're still likely to see a higher concentration of garbage in the first two months of the year.

I think it also might be a bunch of movies like Sonic that aimed for a Christmas release but got delayed ended up releasing then and did great.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it also might be a bunch of movies like Sonic that aimed for a Christmas release but got delayed ended up releasing then and did great.

I think Hollywood outsmarts itself with release dates and eventually a popular movie gets a "bad" date and does just fine. I had to check but it looks like August didn't really have a big movie until 2001's Rush Hour 2, which honestly seems like a weird release date for that after the first one's success.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also another note on Wonka; the other boarding house prisoners are also kinda counterparts to the kids in the original story, with Noodle being a mix of Charlie and the older Wonka's cynicism.

And it seems like a fairly easy way to give an original story thematic connections, but it's still really not a bad one. It makes sure there's some common themes and throughlines, and lots of references to that and other Dahl works that fairly well understand what they're about.

trevorreznik posted:

I think Hollywood outsmarts itself with release dates and eventually a popular movie gets a "bad" date and does just fine. I had to check but it looks like August didn't really have a big movie until 2001's Rush Hour 2, which honestly seems like a weird release date for that after the first one's success.

Yeah, there's a lot of superstition and 'known' information with Hollywood suits that doesn't really have any basis in reality anymore, if it ever did.

I think they also got in the habit of releasing late in the year trying to angle for Oscars.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nm I’ll put it in the trailer thread

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i've been watching scavenger's reign while biking the last couple of days and while obvious comparisons to e.g. fantastic planet and nausicaa and moebius's stuff have been made, it also really reminds me of the other side of the mountain by michael bernanos, a mostly forgotten novella from the 60s about a bizarre and malevolent ecology. One of the best horror/science fiction/fantasy stories I've read. I think it's on archive.org and if it isn't anymore it's available for cheap, and you can read it in an afternoon.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If the dad in The VVitch had a Wii U, everything would've worked out a lot better for that family IMHO

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem. It was fun!

When they introduced the whole mutant crew I was like, "ok so clearly some of them will stick with Superfly but a couple will join the Turtles" but then they all like immediately decide against the kill all humans plan, even Bebop and Rocksteady. That was genuinely unexpected and great. Especially in the ensuing fight, none of them are really trying to hurt Superfly. It showed that they're against the plan but they still care about him. Kinda like the opposite of in Morbius, when Morbius finds out his best and oldest friend killed a couple people when he turned into a Morbius, and even though Morbius himself killed like literally a dozen people the first time he Morbed out, he's still like "I'm sorry, the only person I've ever loved, you are a Bad Guy and now I must kill you"

My one reservation about the movie is that it feels like it wanted to be way grosser than it is. April O'Puke is fantastic, and the loving closeup of Rocksteady's pierced nip is great, but it really feels like the movie wanted to have a lot more of that kind of stuff than it does.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

And name another movie where the day is saved because the hero watches anime.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

And name another movie where the day is saved because the hero watches anime.

Not anime, but Galaxy Quest is adjacent

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gripweed posted:

I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem. It was fun!

When they introduced the whole mutant crew I was like, "ok so clearly some of them will stick with Superfly but a couple will join the Turtles" but then they all like immediately decide against the kill all humans plan, even Bebop and Rocksteady. That was genuinely unexpected and great. Especially in the ensuing fight, none of them are really trying to hurt Superfly. It showed that they're against the plan but they still care about him. Kinda like the opposite of in Morbius, when Morbius finds out his best and oldest friend killed a couple people when he turned into a Morbius, and even though Morbius himself killed like literally a dozen people the first time he Morbed out, he's still like "I'm sorry, the only person I've ever loved, you are a Bad Guy and now I must kill you"

My one reservation about the movie is that it feels like it wanted to be way grosser than it is. April O'Puke is fantastic, and the loving closeup of Rocksteady's pierced nip is great, but it really feels like the movie wanted to have a lot more of that kind of stuff than it does.

It's a movie about the toy line from the 90s, those always felt so much weirder and grosser than the cartoons from that time.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
From the Mattel line up I kind of get an angle they pitch:

Magic 8 Ball: easy it's a thing that answers yes no or no thanks when you shake it, could go anywhere from a kids movie to a horror movie. Big punchline where it comes up Outlook Not So Good

Uno: an underdog kid defeats an Uno world championship which is probably a thing that exists, gets the girl

He-Man: Josh Gad is probably gonna be a voice in it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hot Wheels: This is just PG Fast and Furious

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Love action He -Man with Josh Gad as the title role

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

View-Master: probably gonny do a jumanji thing where a kid gets sucked into the slides I guess? Maybe they'll do a horror movie thing where it shows mean stuff ala Sinister

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe they'd do a Lego movie style Fast and Furious

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hope they include the Tommy Pickles dump truck literally full of poo poo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Waffleman_ posted:

The fast and furious movies are already just PG-13?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Waffleman_ posted:

I hope they include the Tommy Pickles dump truck literally full of poo poo

What the hell, lol.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If you haven't already, go check out this month's movie of the month

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053582

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

If you haven't already, go check out this month's movie of the month

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053582

Yeah what MZ said, Last Black Man is very good (especially if you've spent any amount of time in San Francisco).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Yeah what MZ said, Last Black Man is very good (especially if you've spent any amount of time in San Francisco).

It's so good, looks and sounds amazing, shame about the cancelled guy.

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 7, 2024

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What are some movies other than The Rock that start with panicked radio chatter?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron Porkface posted:

What are some movies other than The Rock that start with panicked radio chatter?

Avengers Infinity War

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Contact

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Baron Porkface posted:

Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Baron Porkface posted:

Fury

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mojo Nixon just died.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Now we don't got Mojo Nixon and the world could use some fixin'.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Tom Cruise is possibly my favorite living, big time actor. Not the best actor ever but I've never been disappointed by a performance from him, even if he's in a meh movie.

Anyway, I'm setting out to watch all movies with him. I'm not going in any real order, although multiple lists I've consulted say Magnolia is the best. Right now I've just re-watched A Few Good Men and Mission: Impossible, and I've seen Minority Report, Edge of Tomorrow, Ghost Protocol, and Oblivion for the first time. Tomorrow gonna re-watch War of the Worlds.

At present my ranking would be:
A Few Good Men > Oblivion > Edge of Tomorrow > Minority Report > Mission Impossible > Ghost Protocol.

I've heard all the new MI movies praised a lot, but I dunno. Neither the original nor GP did much for me at all. Minority Report was probably the most disappointing in that I wanted to like it and it turned out merely okay. I blame this on the humor like I commented earlier.

A Few Good Men is still an outstanding movie, IMO. Kinda understandable Nicholson's speech at the end is the most famous part but it's a great film from beginning to end and everyone is fantastic in their role.

Oblivion had such awesome music and I did find the mystery intriguing. Not an oh my god amazing film or anything but I liked the story and characters. I think I'm just not an Action Movie guy. Edge of Tomorow was a lot of fun but I preferred how slow and far more focused on mystery and drama this was.

If you have any suggestions for what to watch next besides Magnolia, I'd love to hear them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Risky Business / Cocktail doublebill

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7gmrKAFshE

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Collateral is a great pick, that and the opening of MI2 is the few times he played a bad guy role. Plus Collateral is Mann.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://chud.com/8455/the-children-of-men-trailer-universal-should-have-made/

Does anyone have access to these threads or videos still? Its been nearly 18 years now since SA tried to push for Children of Men to get a Best Picture nomination that had enough legs sone ness places reported on it as a grassroots push and if anything shows ahead of the curve ness...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mojo Nixon just died.

On such a winter's day :(