Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kerrzhe posted:

man i cannot bring myself to do any mogtome stuff until they put more gwibers in the rewards :mad:

Thundarr posted:

I already bought everything I didn't already have with like 80 mogtomes. I guess I'll see by the end of the event how many stacks of job mastery fireworks I've got.

Don't sleep on the MGP cards if you haven't gotten everything you want from the Gold Saucer. (Or even if you have since they're constantly adding stuff to it, and having a leg up on the next however-many-million MGP mount they'll inevitably add will be nice.) They're the actual MGP currency and not the +X% buff tickets, 30 mogtomes for 50,000 MGP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

man i cannot bring myself to do any mogtome stuff until they put more gwibers STARBIRD in the rewards :mad:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Gato posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to the Eurogoons for good times, I've barely played in months so I decided to finally bite the bullet, pack up my estate and get ready to unsub. Might jump back in again depending on Dawntrail reception but I know the signs of MMO burnout and the post-EW content felt like going through the motions and where better to leave things than the expansion with End in the title?

Take a break, and come back if DT is bonkers amazing. Otherwise no harm in filling your time with better worthwhile stories.

Took a break for a year, and it felt really good. A game shouldn’t be a job.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Picked up my first two big fish today. Nothing fancy, just pushing completion in the Limsa fishing log.

Of course that's like a protagonist in a Lovecraft story only reading the first line in a mysterious tome.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Doomykins posted:

Picked up my first two big fish today. Nothing fancy, just pushing completion in the Limsa fishing log.

Of course that's like a protagonist in a Lovecraft story only reading the first line in a mysterious tome.

POV: You're the protag of a Hellraiser film and you just found a cool puzzle box.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Doomykins posted:

I got Kuno the Killer the other night, and it's tempting me to take a fair swing at actually completing Feast of Famine, although looking up quest guides and seeing "Kuno is the only one of these that is easy and fun, every other one will make you hate yourself"wasn't great

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

obviously its all rng but i didnt find feast of famine too bad. caught most of them in 1-2 windows.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Gato posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to the Eurogoons for good times, I've barely played in months so I decided to finally bite the bullet, pack up my estate and get ready to unsub. Might jump back in again depending on Dawntrail reception but I know the signs of MMO burnout and the post-EW content felt like going through the motions and where better to leave things than the expansion with End in the title?

As a Eurogoon I probably know who you are but the forums name doesn't ring a bell

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Potential big shakeup at Squeenix, wonder how CBU3 is gonna get impacted:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You're gonna grind out Dead Ends and you're gonna like it. :mad:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Feldegast42 posted:

Potential big shakeup at Squeenix, wonder how CBU3 is gonna get impacted:

SE has been talking a lot lately about pulling support for their mid-budget games made out of house in favor of using their own development teams to make more AAA products. Doesn't seem like a strategy that would affect FFXIV much and the FFXVI development team has already been shuffled around, probably getting ready to work on whatever their next big blockbuster is going to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty sure the FF7R and FFXIV teams are fine. Probably the Kingdom Hearts ones too. It's the smaller deal stuff to be concerned about.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah the people working on 14 and 7R are almost certainly safe, unless 7R2 or Dawntrail are catastrophic flops (that seems unlikely but not impossible).

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Veev posted:

SE has been talking a lot lately about pulling support for their mid-budget games made out of house in favor of using their own development teams to make more AAA products. Doesn't seem like a strategy that would affect FFXIV much and the FFXVI development team has already been shuffled around, probably getting ready to work on whatever their next big blockbuster is going to be.

That still really sucks as their mid-budget stuff has been really good the last few years. Hell, Squeenix seems to be one of the few AAA studios that put out mid-budget stuff nowadays.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Feldegast42 posted:

That still really sucks as their mid-budget stuff has been really good the last few years. Hell, Squeenix seems to be one of the few AAA studios that put out mid-budget stuff nowadays.

Yeah, basically the only S-E titles that have actually been worth a crap to me are XIV and the mid-budget range.

All the other big budget stuff feels like it's trying to be stuff that already exists that I already don't buy, the mid-budget's actually delivering the interesting stuff.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 7, 2024

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
16 is good and if I don’t get Jill’s outfit for a BLU glam I’m going to die

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Popoto posted:

Take a break, and come back if DT is bonkers amazing. Otherwise no harm in filling your time with better worthwhile stories.
I'm really curious about this, because they have to know that a ton of people will have started to check out after EW. If the general reaction to DT is that they phoned it in I feel like you could see massive amounts of unsubs.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Martman posted:

I'm really curious about this, because they have to know that a ton of people will have started to check out after EW. If the general reaction to DT is that they phoned it in I feel like you could see massive amounts of unsubs.

Judging by the fact that their plan for 7.x seems to be "literally every single type of side stuff we've done up to this point plus some new poo poo on top", I think they're banking on the strength of their patch content from keeping their sub count from plummeting too hard. Probably most of the people who just wanted to see the end of the Hydaelyn/Zodiark arc unsubbed after finishing 6.0 and then resubbed to see the raid stories maybe

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chillgamesh posted:

Judging by the fact that their plan for 7.x seems to be "literally every single type of side stuff we've done up to this point plus some new poo poo on top", I think they're banking on the strength of their patch content from keeping their sub count from plummeting too hard. Probably most of the people who just wanted to see the end of the Hydaelyn/Zodiark arc unsubbed after finishing 6.0 and then resubbed to see the raid stories maybe

Weirdly enough, from what I've heard the dropoff for Endwalker's patches was lower than average.

(And speaking anecdotally I've seen a Whole drat Lot of people who were clearly only ever invested in the Ascian story who didn't cancel, but probably should have.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cleretic posted:

Weirdly enough, from what I've heard the dropoff for Endwalker's patches was lower than average.

(And speaking anecdotally I've seen a Whole drat Lot of people who were clearly only ever invested in the Ascian story who didn't cancel, but probably should have.)

For me specifically, though I've stayed subbed the whole time, I definitely played more during the 6.x than I did 5.x. The 5.x story was good but for side content, the only real option was Bozja. If you didn't like Bozja (It's me, the Bozja hater), there wasn't much on offer.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

This is what has bugged me most about the "dead expansion" discourse everywhere. We have crowdsourced census data we can use to actually estimate how the playerbase is doing. It's where we got all those articles about FF14 beating WoW for playercount, why hasn't anyone banging drums about how everyone's quitting quoted any of those numbers or graphs? I've never bothered to check but I feel pretty secure in my guess of "because they don't support the theory at all."

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cleretic posted:

When I last checked the Lucky Bancho numbers, it was still maintaining a higher active player count than Shadowbringers around the same time. There's always a good amount of hemorrhaging during expansion lulls, and it's something they both financially account for and attempt to mitigate via various low cost events like Mogtomes or crossovers.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Telarra posted:

This is what has bugged me most about the "dead expansion" discourse everywhere. We have crowdsourced census data we can use to actually estimate how the playerbase is doing. It's where we got all those articles about FF14 beating WoW for playercount, why hasn't anyone banging drums about how everyone's quitting quoted any of those numbers or graphs? I've never bothered to check but I feel pretty secure in my guess of "because they don't support the theory at all."
I dunno didn't the universal praise of Shadowbringers bring in a fuckton of new or very out of date players? Not minimizing 6.0's praise either, I'm just saying the game reached a level of "you gotta try this" in public discourse and I can't help but assume there are still a ton of people who have barely even reached EW content.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Shadowbringers was a ferociously strong expansion showing FF14 at its best at the exact same time 1-2 years later that WoW would release their worst expansion by a mile, Shadowlands. SL broke investment(it's really hard to justify playing two MMOs at once for a lot of people), if it just offered people a time to take a break and go check out the game that is getting wild, endless praise from story from ShB to EW. Good story? In a MMO? Sounds utterly unique! Imagine 5.3 in FF14 hitting at the same time we've seen Sylvannas, The Jailer and loving Wrath Retcons light a tire fire for the WoW fanbase to savor the aroma of.

Also Covid. So you're gonna see a once in a lifetime set of wild data curves around those three events.

Speaking personally I've no idea why anyone would abandon FF14 because "well gee their big story is done." It took ten years and truly heroic, clever and exhaustive world building to turn around some of the least inspired parts of the setting into the fan favorites we know. Dawntrail is CBU3 firing on all cylinders telling a new story from a good beginning with no rush. Why wouldn't you expect another banger?

Tired of FF14? Tired of MMOs? Back to less time consuming vidya? Sure. Think FF14 is "done" and only bad times await like it's modern day Pokemon phoning things in? Leave that to empty headed content creators.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
What ever happened to the idea that since dawn trail is a new story, there would be a way to skip to it directly with a new character? Haven’t followed much if that ever got off the ground.

IMO my big worry with DT is that “here are some new horizons!!!1!” Feels very bland when simply presented like that. The trailer has, for me, given me the opposite effect of what a trailer should do, since it doesn’t really say anything, especially compared to all previous trailers and expansion.

But considering the strength of all the post ARR storylines, I feel confident despite what the trailer displayed. I’m just hoping we also get some new non scions party. The more we can leave these characters with the past storyline, the better.

E: I’m only at 6.3 so I got no clue if that’s what happens.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 7, 2024

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I enjoyed the 6.x story but did not at all feel that it's CBU3 "firing on all cylinders." It was fun and entertaining but slipped outta my mind as soon as it was over. That's kinda my issue with DT is that I'm expecting similar feelings.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Thinking about it a bit more, I’m hoping we discover not just a new world, but a new cast of delightful characters. I would allow cameos from the old cast here and there when we sometimes check back on them at home base or whatever.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Fair enough. And they're certainly firing on all cylinders vs the manic recovery of ARR into HW. With 7.0 the ball is in their court to show us what ideas they have. I've got faith.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

No matter what DT is going to be lower stakes than ShB and EW. It’s the start of a new arc; there needs to be room for rising action. My guess is it’s going to be mostly self contained with the start of threads for the future (like a new overarching antagonist etc).

ARR with better pacing and characterization basically.

e: There will also definitely be new long term allies but I think the trailer and patches have made it clear that the old cast isn’t going away either. At the very least we’re going to spend at least some time with everyone except Y’shtola and G’raha, and there’s still a good chance they could pop up anyway due to the trailer.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Doomykins posted:

Fair enough. And they're certainly firing on all cylinders vs the manic recovery of ARR into HW. With 7.0 the ball is in their court to show us what ideas they have. I've got faith.
Oh for sure. I'm not trying to doomsay, and a bunch of unsubs isn't my way of saying they deserve to fail or something. I just wouldn't be surprised if there's a big adjustment after all the insanity surrounding ShB into EW.

I'm excited to play it and I'm definitely an outlier in terms of almost literally running out of stuff to do. Just kinda curious about how many people will be down for "and then other wacky adventures happened" when the game had spent so long building on previous arcs.

I guess "phoning it in" is pretty negative. tbh I did feel kinda eh after the resolution of the patch storyline... I loved the characters but it felt like it all wrapped up a little too easily

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Popoto posted:

What ever happened to the idea that since dawn trail is a new story, there would be a way to skip to it directly with a new character? Haven’t followed much if that ever got off the ground.

I think that was just fan speculation that somehow turned into gospel truth via the magic of the internet.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I enjoyed 6.x but I have a feeling people are gonna really hate it in the future since it's so self-contained. It'll be seen as a speedbump.

For Dawntrail, based on what Yoshida said about how it may feel as if it has "two distinct arcs", my assumption is that we'll probably partially resolve Wuk Lamat's quest well before the credits roll but a lot of it will carry over into whatever is going on with Solution 9 and 7.x.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

I think that was just fan speculation that somehow turned into gospel truth via the magic of the internet.

yeah they're definitely aware of the time investment and said they've kicked around ideas about quicker onboarding, but not said more than that. suggestions that it could happen in 7.0 were not from any official source (even if it fits as a new arc). presumably they think selling job boosts and story skips is enough at least for the time being

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I still think 7.0 should open with the Warrior of Light taking a blow to the head and veteran players recover and go and "new" players are on-boarded via Convenient Amnesia so Alphinaud has to explain poo poo to you

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

hell yeah brother lets get loving shipwrecked

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The WoL realizes too late that they're not really feeling it, but they don't want to disappoint anyone, so they pop over to the Crystal Tower to make an Allagan clone with all their skills but no memory, then points it at the boat

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

YggiDee posted:

I still think 7.0 should open with the Warrior of Light taking a blow to the head and veteran players recover and go and "new" players are on-boarded via Convenient Amnesia so Alphinaud has to explain poo poo to you

This but Ridley launches you out of an airlock and you spend the entire expansion trying to find where your job stones landed

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Martman posted:

I enjoyed the 6.x story but did not at all feel that it's CBU3 "firing on all cylinders." It was fun and entertaining but slipped outta my mind as soon as it was over. That's kinda my issue with DT is that I'm expecting similar feelings.

I think it was hard to create a genuinely gripping narrative with the restrictions as they were in place. My guess is that the team believed that spending the patch cycle setting the table for Dawntrail wouldn't be either interesting or feasible, since you'd necessarily have to introduce a ton of new concepts in a very short timeframe, all of which would then diminish player excitement going forwards. As a result, they had to do a relatively self-contained story that had no relation to either the previous Hydaelyn/Zodiark arc or the upcoming Dawntrail arc, but with the additional restriction of not being able to do much with the central cast due to them wanting to save major character arcs for Dawntrail. That gives you very little narrative clay to work with: you've got Zero and Varshahn, with the former having to speedrun her character introduction and development to fit into the patch format, and a desire to deliver on a big world-ending threat that has to be crammed into a couple hours worth of content over 5 patches.

That obviously doesn't discount the possibility of the future writing taking a hit, but I wouldn't take 6.x as indicative of whatever the team's full potential would be. It was, ultimately, a filler arc, and having to work in those confines rarely results in your best work.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
my estimation of the void arc (haha) is going to be entirely based on whether it is actually stealth setup for the next 10 years of story or not. remember there was a 4 year gap between the warriors of darkness and going to the first.

but until it has that payoff it is pretty filler, and at worst underserving a storyline that should have gotten a lot more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

:shobon: Gonna fight Barbariccia tomorrow, I'm enjoying 6.x a lot and I think they really made the most of the filler to do world building, turning filler into a little strength point. Of all the places in the setting we know little about voidsent are pretty high up there while simultaneously being very important and very worthy threats. By the nature of the place they can go back and make it the next First for storytelling or keep it around as the Final Fantasy villain holding pen it works well as.

Of course I am hopelessly in love with FF4 stuff.