Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

well-read undead posted:

good advice, but reaching out to cow orkers is only really useful if you're looking to get into cow orking yourself

we talkin cow orcas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
had an actually terrible interview experience with a team at the fruit company. they made me write a linked list deletion routine and i spent like 10 minutes convincing them that what i wrote was correct. i didnt even do anything weird, i genuinely had to walk them through how deletion works when THEY asked me the question

i spent time afterwards reviewing what i wrote to make sure i wasnt being gaslit. im genuinely baffled by this experience. this is a blessing though because id be banished to california again if i got the job

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

the only time I was interviewed by an ex-googler was also one of the worst interviews I ever had

now granted he was significantly more junior than me and I was interviewing to be his senior cow orker, but he was massively insecure in a similar way, even going against the interview guidelines

YMMV but big tech people aren't always perfect, especially junior ones

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
how do you know if your coworkers used to work at google? dont worry, they'll tell you within 30 seconds of the start of any technical discussion.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
so loving tired of "well at google we..." gently caress OOOOOFFFFF

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
everyone who interviewed me was pretty senior and all had spent 5+ years on that team. and i get you would not have written linked list poo poo by hand in C for a long time at that point. but dont ask the question and take random potshots at me if you cant recognize a solution idk

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Idk about y'all but I actually try to make a point of not irking my cows. They kick mean.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hillel wayne, who i have a weirdass correspondence with occasionally, has a dealio about linked list questions and how they're the signs of a tendency towards perseveration

https://www.hillelwayne.com/post/linked-lists/

most testing of any kind is mega-conservative and ultra-perseverating despite the fact that counterplays to them pop up almost immediately in most cases

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

lord fifth posted:

everyone who interviewed me was pretty senior and all had spent 5+ years on that team. and i get you would not have written linked list poo poo by hand in C for a long time at that point. but dont ask the question and take random potshots at me if you cant recognize a solution idk

I wonder if they were testing how you’d respond to review or criticism of your code

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
could be a standard nerd hazing

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Armitag3 posted:

I wonder if they were testing how you’d respond to review or criticism of your code

that was my first guess

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Armitag3 posted:

both this and "trained on the question as though it were an exam, are looking for a canonical 'right answer', cannot adapt to an alternative solution that is also correct" seem equally plausible to me

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

Armitag3 posted:

maybe but if so i dont want to work with a team that thinks gaslighting an intern into believing they dont know how to do baby's first C structure is an effective interview tactic

raminasi posted:

both this and "trained on the question as though it were an exam, are looking for a canonical 'right answer', cannot adapt to an alternative solution that is also correct" seem equally plausible to me

this feels more like what actually happened. eventually the manager in the conference room had to go "nah hes right can we move on now." also the interview ended with that manager getting up and leaving the conference room without notice and before ending the call, which confused me

i already have a position so i was mostly interviewing just to see but def my weirdest experience so far. they definitely werent following any kind of interview manual which surprises me for such a large company

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Armitag3 posted:

we do this as part of our interviewing but:

1) we let the candidates know beforehand that it will be part of the interview
2) we tell them afterwards AGAIN that we were being dicks on purpose to see how they'd handle it
3) it's actually part of the job because sometimes you have to deal with rear end in a top hat customers who aren't very smart but are VERY opinionated and rude

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lord filth they were probably also seeing if you would acknowledge that there are several ways of doing things, sometimes creating several "right answers"

but also since all of the people interviewing you would be senior to you too, possibly seeing if you would simply defer to them or double down and defend yourself. like, apple is also big on having people admit they don't know how to do something and asking for help, which includes deference to senior employees

but unless you think the other parts of the interview (i.e. if you ever got past arguing about linked lists) went badly too i wouldn't let it throw you too much

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lord fifth posted:

they definitely werent following any kind of interview manual which surprises me for such a large company

apple doesn't really do this, but there are standard questions they ask everyone (although i interviewed with apple almost 20 years ago, it's certainly a much bigger, probably very different company now)

anyway usually i'd say it's a bad sign that the manager left, but they may have just had to leave to put out a trash fire or something, so i wouldn't read too much into that either (again unless the other parts of the interview were similarly contentious/went poorly)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
90% of linked list questions could probably be answered with "there's several more efficient ways to do this than a linked list"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way, i find it perfectly believable that the interviewers did a bad job there, *but* do remember that interviewing simply is kind of bullshit, and you really need to avoid getting defensive or agitated. because even myself i will admit that even if the interviewee is entirely correct in the end i would not be able to ignore if it turned into an unconstructive conversation for a chunk in the middle.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

though tbf i got my first job after telling the interviewer to go read up on red-black trees himself, so idk.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its sales. getting angry over lost orders is a magic formula to failing as a salespeep

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hillel wayne, who i have a weirdass correspondence with occasionally, has a dealio about linked list questions and how they're the signs of a tendency towards perseveration

https://www.hillelwayne.com/post/linked-lists/

most testing of any kind is mega-conservative and ultra-perseverating despite the fact that counterplays to them pop up almost immediately in most cases

good article, not least because it confirms my pre-existing suspicions

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

lord fifth posted:

maybe but if so i dont want to work with a team that thinks gaslighting an intern into believing they dont know how to do baby's first C structure is an effective interview tactic

"now let's see how you respond to working with rear end in a top hat coworkers" provides quite a bit of interview signal, just not in the direction that's usually intended!

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i probably did gently caress up the interview in some way even if they were being kind of weird. but they also opened by sharing that they had recently interviewed somebody for the same position who didnt know what a pointer was so maybe i vastly exceeded expectations

Grum
May 7, 2007
did you take a pointer to the next pointer instead of doing everything relative to a struct or something. thats the real way to scare c++ people

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
lol i actually did wrap everything in a struct so i could do head/tail operations easily and also avoid double pointers. so i think the opposite situation happened

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
wrap it in a union { uintptr_t u; void* p; } to really gently caress with them

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I've had algo interview where I ended up asking the interviewer what language he primarily uses, and then linking him the official docs explaining that appending to resizable array (your Vec, vector, ArrayList, ...) is amortized constant.

I honestly don't know how it went over, because after that poo poo I wasn't interested in working there.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
just tell them you use <insert your favorite/possibly only implementation of linked lists here> because you analyzed the LLVM IR output of a bunch of different ways and this was the most efficient to the compiler

i mean, they probably won't check (plus most would probably have identical representation) and it's a way of changing the subject

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
intrusive linked lists ftw

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
god i hate that "two references to call and chat with" keeps coming up as part of the hiring process now

if i was on good terms with my old bosses i would still be working for them now wouldn't i????

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

god i hate that "two references to call and chat with" keeps coming up as part of the hiring process now

if i was on good terms with my old bosses i would still be working for them now wouldn't i????

fellow-employees, never bosses

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i've given positive references for former reports before, but they were people who left of their own accord or were laid off

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

references aren't a new thing though?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I've always left or laid off too but that doesn't make it better

references are corporate and have a legal structure where people can be liable for what they say. startups calling some dude I worked with at a company neither of us work at anymore is completely different and as an autistic person it feels specifically like a test that will weed me out because I do not maintain personal relationships with the people I bump into as a sock being batted around inside the dryer of startup lifecycles and late stage capitalism

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

being forgotten by, and not having to worry about, my coworkers anymore is the main advantage of leaving a job; and now I have to actively maintain a rolodex of trustworthy bosses because it is not enough to please hiring managers now, I must also have--verifiably!--behaved in a way that they liked before I ever met them

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

references are corporate and have a legal structure where people can be liable for what they say.

pfffffffft.

i mean, obviously "references" is bullshit, but no one is getting in actual trouble for that poo poo. because this is *all* mostly bullshit.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah also when you find yourself needing to rent from a landlord then it will want a reference from another landlord these days

poo poo sucks

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i will lie to a hiring manager that calls me for a reference. whoever they're asking about is the best. give them the job. idgaf

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

fellow-employees, never bosses

former bosses are even below ex-wives on the reference list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Got a tech screen scheduled for Valentine's Day. Internal position a former teammate referred me to. I'm way too anxious about these kinds of things and my whole weekend will be a ball of stress now, but at least it's an excited kind of anxiety.

(That said, I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of competition. I saw the job posting basically the moment it went up. At that time, it had the little "less than 10 applicants have applied for this position" flag on it. Within a few hours that flag had disappeared.)