Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
If you try "The Backrooms" the first thing you should do is go into the settings and lock FPS at 30. The spooky VHS effect it's going for completely falls apart at higher framerates. The game didn't click for me personally but the spooky vibes were pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Another thing dragging down Mass Effect 3 is that apparently they couldn't figure out how to make the player fail quests. I have a bunch of quests sitting in my journal (which is lovely and unorganized) that I am no longer able to complete, and will thus be there for the rest of the game. It's driving me insane.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Master_Odin posted:

February Humble Bundle Choice is up:
  • Life is Strange: True Colors
  • Scorn
  • Destroy all Humans 2!
  • Beacon Pines
  • There is no Light
  • Children of Silentown
  • Oaken
  • Snowtopia: Ski Resort Builder

Beacon Pines is really good, but it's only a few hours long.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Two Devolver demos...

Pepper Grinder
I'd describe it as a momentum platformer with a big drill. It reminds me of the golden feather sections of Celeste but a lot more forgiving. As with Celeste, it works because the controls are tight and responsive. The demo is 3 levels and gives a nice taste for it, with each level having a new gimmick. Quite tiring on the fingers having to hold thumbstick/D-pad directions all the time!

Children of the Sun
Love the psychadelic presentation and music, but got bored of the rather basic puzzle gameplay before the end of the demo. The puzzle seems to be that you have to find a path with line-of-sight for the 4-6 targets in a level, but can only observe from the edge of the level. It felt to me like it undermined the puzzle element almost immediately by following with levels where no line-of-sight is possible, but you just shoot anyway and wing it by altering the bullet path mid-flight. Dunno, just not for me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Serephina posted:

I am absolutely stoked as poo poo that we are getting Demos again, it's gotten to the point that I'm disappointed when there isn't a demo, as I may or may not like a game but I can't honestly tell from the Steam page and trailers. I have pirated games just to try them (truthfully!) and gone back and bought a bunch them. Blasphemous, System Shock Remake, Streets of Rage 4, RE2remake, AMID EVIL, to name a few. Great loving games that really where doing themselves a disservice by not letting people touch the goods. Likewise, I've pirated a few and left them unfinished as I felt my misgivings on them where justified, which further reinforces my bias that demos are good for the industry, rewarding good poo poo and steering people away from the lemons etc.

It was a dark time that last decade where all we had where cinematic trailers and word of mouth, glad we're moving away from that.

Ss remake did have a demo, though it was a long time ago. Such a good game, goddam.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Throwing out a recommendation for the Breachway demo. It's a turn based FTL style thing with some deck building elements. I only got to the end of the tutorial section so far, but it seems like it should definitely be worth keeping an eye on.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Det_no posted:

Ratten Reich is pretty bad. Lots of generic assets and bad visual effects, bad voice acting, buggy as gently caress too; Control groups are busted, individual soldiers vanish into thin air and the game crashed like 10 minutes into a mission. There seems to be zero use of the rats vs mice theme too, you are just playing notgermans with perfectly human voice acting and no real rat features to be seen. Don't even have tails.

Pretty disappointing. I think their vehicle designs are fairly good so it's a shame to see the rest is pretty poo poo.

Sounds like they're removing the demo because of how bad it was.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Fallout 4

A couple of questions. First, how do you recycle/scrap junk. I've found some stuff lying around, and I can store things at a workshop, and I can scrap weapons at a weapon upgrade station/clothing at an armor upgrade station, but I don't see how to scrap junk. EDIT: Figured it out.

Second, how do you dock the power armor at the power armor station, or at least how do you get out of the power armor?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 7, 2024

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Did they learn nothing from Bad Rats? Leave it up and rake in the profits!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Fallout 4

A couple of questions. First, how do you recycle/scrap junk. I've found some stuff lying around, and I can store things at a workshop, and I can scrap weapons at a weapon upgrade station/clothing at an armor upgrade station, but I don't see how to scrap junk.

Second, how do you dock the power armor at the power armor station, or at least how do you get out of the power armor?

Been a while since I played 4, but I'm pretty sure you just hold E (or whatever your use key is) for a second or two and your character will hop out. To dock the power armour, you just use the docking station while in the armour.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e: nm

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Electric_Mud posted:

Ouch. It's releasing Q2 this year too so... good luck to them.

Speaking of meh games, I'm sure Subnautica was great back when it came out but drat. It aged like milk. I don't know what kind of troglodyte decided that right-click is best used to drop your items onto the ocean floor instead of storing them in one of the million tiny chests I have all over the place. I also love random mineral drops out of rocks so that I find shitloads of gold but not the silver I need to progress. Having to craft and drink water every day when it's trivial to make BUT requires that I craft every bottle one by one (of which I need five to replenish my thirst fully) and sit through multiple crafting animations in a row is great design too.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Electric_Mud posted:

i just looked at the steam forum and one of the posts is complaining about the voices not being ratlike at all and the dev responded asking "what do you have in mind?" lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Awesome! posted:

i just looked at the steam forum and one of the posts is complaining about the voices not being ratlike at all and the dev responded asking "what do you have in mind?" lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouvrP0TNfT4

Silius
Apr 24, 2010

Pleads posted:

I tried the Orc Warchief: Strategy City Builder demo because the screenshots looked kinda cool.

In the very first loading screen there was a typo, and then in the first cutscene it features the literal worst voice acting I've ever heard. Also one of the characters had hair with inverted normals, which was trippy and probably not an active choice they made.

I tried 2 minutes of gameplay and got bored and uninstalled, but that voice acting will stay with me forever.

I had to install and see this madness for a laugh. Im sorry to inform you but Im pretty, PRETTY sure those are just AI generated voices. I looked at the devs and they seem to just churn out slop. The models looked like they were standing on ice sliding around, amusing. bewhahahaha

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I'm far from precious about superhero poo poo, and the only Arkham game I've played was Asylum, but I read the plot synopsis for Suicide Squad and it seems weirdly...hateful of Rocksteady's own legacy? Like, the game is explicitly set in the same timeline as the studio's previous trilogy and it ends with Harley Quinn shooting Batman, aka the one you've been playing as in that more well-received series, Kevin Conroy's final role, in the face. RIP. Just odd.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think “hateful of its own legacy” is a hyper weird read. It’s a game where you kill most of the Justice League, Superman kills Wonder Woman and everything and everyone sucks all the time. It’s just the story they’re telling.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 7, 2024

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mordja posted:

So I'm far from precious about superhero poo poo, and the only Arkham game I've played was Asylum, but I read the plot synopsis for Suicide Squad and it seems weirdly...hateful of Rocksteady's own legacy? Like, the game is explicitly set in the same timeline as the studio's previous trilogy and it ends with Harley Quinn shooting Batman, aka the one you've been playing as in that more well-received series, Kevin Conroy's final role, in the face. RIP. Just odd.

it's not called suicide squad: hug the justice league

e: initially I liked the game but about 6 hours in it became obvious there were only like 3 mission types and they were just telling you to do one of the three types with slightly different rules, like this time you can only kill them while you're moonwalking backwards.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Orv posted:

I think “hateful of its own legacy” is a hyper weird read. It’s a game where you kill most of the Justice League, Superman kills Wondee Woman and everything and everyone sucks all the time. It’s just the story they’re telling.

so, just kind of hateful in general

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

so, just kind of hateful in general

It ain’t happy.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Propaganda Hour posted:

丂匚ㄖ尺几

I really* enjoyed Scorn but it only took me 5 hours to complete, so keep that in mind should you think to buy it normally.

* I mean, the pointless combat element could have done with being dropped, and the time they spent developing that should have gone into making more levels.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

It ain’t happy.

But why though? What's the point?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this ain't your MOMMA'S superhero comix!!!!! :twisted:

(note: your momma's superhero comix included Spawn, The Watchmen, and Evil Ernie)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mozi posted:

Do stories have to be happy or have a good point?

It does actually take a crack at giving the Suicide Squad some found family kind of vibes, which sorta works, largely because the game is pretty funny in between the awfulness and lessons are learned at the end but they’re probably not good lessons.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

AngryBooch posted:

Anyone check out the Synergy demo yet?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1989070/Synergy/

Looks like a promising entry into the Impressions style of city builders. I'll probably download it tonight.

Okay, so there's a lot to like here in Synergy. Impressions-style city builder revolving around a lovely pastel postapocalyptic world (the water being green is not just for show, you see, it's toxic, and the very first thing you have to do is detoxify it and prepare it in case of future drought seasons). In addition to your usual features of building up an economy and civic infrastructure in order to support your band of survivors in increased levels of comfort, health, and security, there's a robust research system both in terms of learning what various things in the world do and for creating higher tiers of building. You can get multiple uses off of limited resources by exploiting them in different ways. There's an exploration/expedition system, and I love the districts where a square "building" serves as a foundation for a zone which can have very powerful effects if you arrange the right kinds of buildings placed within it.

However, in my playthrough I found a lot of small touches that drove me crazy: for instance, the UI scaling seems incredibly big by default (although it can be modified) and having to manually assign workers to buildings instead of them automatically drawing from the labor pool with the ability to turn that on and off. The original version of this review went harping on this for twice as long, but the game doesn't really deserve that level of harsh critique.

Overall, I tentatively recommend Synergy, although I would like it to spend just a little bit more time in the retention tank than it seems like it will get with its stated Q2 release date.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 7, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Summerhouse is a cute 'desktop toy' about building houses, but it is a little perplexing how few customization items there are outside of decoration items (plenty of those!). not a ton of roof styles, only a few doors & windows. you also cycle through them one item at a time with the right mouse button, and change type on the left-hand menu. the UI's trying to stay minimalist (and there is a magnifying glass icon that i think shows you a bunch of items you recently cycled through?), but it's a bit lacking in elegance.

I don't care how trashy they are, fake-OS detective games are catnip to me. And Cyber Manhunt: New World is as trashy as it gets. It's got all your favorite tropes: evil manipulative women who make fake accusations, creepy old men being creepy, a middle class worker being bullied, and more. I don't know that this game wants to take a stance on anything, as you play as an AI bot activated to help with digital investigations, and there's a lot of "AI is dystopian" stuff in the game, but the main crusader against AI is.. Elon Musk? (with a couple of letters changed) I did appreciate that the game had a lot of side information to find with a little extra digging that fleshed out more of the story with even more twists. But the story itself, is trash incarnate. IDK maybe there'll be a bundle with this game in the future and I'll play the full thing then.

If you like jamming tetraminos into random genres, how about Emberward? In a hybrid that would make Rampart proud, Emberward is a tower defense roguelite where you build a deck of tetramino pieces that you place around and inside your fortress to alter the path of the lanes of enemies entering in and slow them down, and any tetramino you place can have attack towers placed on them. all your favorites like the basic fast tower, the freeze tower, the AoE tower, the long range tower, the stun tower, etc, they're all here. There's also a skill tree? I'm not sure if that's going to be meta progression or not. It's a neat mix, but I don't personally care for roguelites myself.

The Botany Manor demo is the same content as before, so no new puzzles, but they've added maps to the book, as well as some additional letters/flyers and benches to sit on. None of this is particularly massive but it does make the world feel a little less artificial. If you haven't played the demo before, give it a try if you like deduction games. Strange Horticulture is still the deduction game to beat when it comes to weird magical plants, but Botany Manor could be a close second when it releases this summer.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 7, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 7th Guest posted:

Summerhouse is a cute 'desktop toy' about building houses

Definitely gonna try the demo for this because the aesthetic is 100% extremely my poo poo

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Perestroika posted:

Same on Star Trucker. I was initially a bit concerned it might end up being too one-note, but having a fairly expansive and detailed truck interior as well the option for spacewalks adds a nice immersive dimension to it that should keep it fresh for longer.

There's a drive assist toggle in the lower middle of the dashboard. If you disable that, the truck will switch to full newtonian controls, meaning it'll maintain the current direction and velocity until you thrust another direction. Good for those longer cruises, as well as turning and sideslipping to get in position in front of gates more easily.

Yeah, I think it's clever that "cruise control, in space" actually just means turning off the dampeners

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Suicide Squad sounds like typical 90's comic edge, yeah, which is a bit anachronic and a weird fit into the continuity of the Arkham games, but then it has multiverse shenanigans, so who knows what its full plot will be by the time the DLCs roll around.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mozi posted:

video game stories arent supposed to have points op
and the ones that try end up way worse off

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
As someone who shotgunned the entire Arkham series a couple years ago, the Suicide Squad game seems to have the exact same tone as those. Insanely over the top grimdark but also completely humorless.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mordja posted:

Boop

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it'd probably be better if it were completely humourless, but instead every protagonist is an open-mic comedian.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
LMAO I added "Roguelike Deckbuilder" to my ignored tags and it's like Steam is an entirely different storefront now. Highly recommend.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I ignored Roguelite Deckbuilder, Open World Survival Craft, and Sexual Content

why isn't anyone making games anymore

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Same, but with anime.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like roguelike deck builders

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Synergy is arguably the highest profile demo I played tonight, but there's still a few more to add...

It's for the best if you ignore the plot of The Land Beneath Us and just accept it as a vehicle for this really cool turn-based dungeon crawler roguelite. The primary gimmick here is that each individual arrow key plugs into its own weapon so by attacking enemies from different cardinal directions, you're attacking them with different weapons. I also saw something about being able to unlock abilities triggered by doing Dance Dance Revolution style inputs, which you have to do as part of your natural combat flow. While there are additional passive upgrades to help improve the effectiveness of your kit, this is pretty much most of the game in a nutshell. Was really surprised by this one and keeping it around to play for later.

I'm half-convinced that AutoForge is the result of the developer reskinning a Factorio mod for Terraria. You either like that premise or you don't. There's not that much more that I can add except for the crank-turning being pretty well simulated and, in at least one case, being used to save an adorable robot buddy who deactivated in the darkness without anyone to turn theirs.

Arco is a tactical action rpg set in what appears to be Not-Central/South America. The core feature here is that it's real time with pause, with the pause letting you plan how to run around what your enemies are doing. Apart from the core gameplay, there are segments in between the various fights allowing you to use the wilderness to harvest resources for consumables/equippables. I really recommend that you play this one for yourself, it's pretty short and the game explains itself fairly well. In this case, I'm just here to bring it to your attention.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 7, 2024

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Orv posted:

Homefront should be owned by Embracer now so that’s definitely an IP they should bring back to get them out of the hole
Far Cry Red Dawn was..... interesting.
The story is... it's a FPS story. The funny stuff is in the preamble. Silicon Valley happens in North Korea, America continues to do America things like warmongering, buying their weaponry from North Korean Apple. America defaults on their debts and North Korean Apple turns off their guns and invade, North Korean proceed to frack and strip-mine America.
The rest of it...is there. It doesn't do anything interesting with what it brought up. It's run of the mill action thriller stuff, boring stuff. Honestly there's worse out there though, like there's no hiding in corpse piles in Revolution :v:

I liked the Red zone and Green Zone separation imo. Red zone is just you usual semi-open world (Think Stalker) set up, badguys constantly spawning, explosions and poo poo. Green Zone is your 'stealth' zone stuff.

It outright uses the Crysis 2/3 on-the-fly weapon changing system which I liked. You can turn your DRM into a Red White and Blue mini rocket/fireworks launcher. :911:

Seriously just drop the dead serious dEfEnDiNg aMeRiCa/alt history stuff. They already nicked a bunch of Far Cry/Crysis things, do a FC3:Blood Dragon and make the badguys a Saturday morning cartoon villain and evil neon army force and you've already dropped most of the Bad taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Really the main character of Red Dawn is the Cuban officer so the game should more properly have you play as the NKs trying to suppress the rebellion of the plucky Americans. That’d make for an edgy strategy game.

Though the idea of anyone invading big dumb America surrounded by oceans is very lol of course.

Also that Harley Quinn show may be extremely violent but it’s almost cozy emotionally since it does both found family and a proper romance sincerely. I don’t know poo poo about the comics but it doesn’t seem like the game has to be dark mcspawnlord