Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

Game looks hype, making be wanna break my wait for part 3 plan.... i got yakuza 8 to tide me over at least but then.... gonna be tough, will need to make hard jrpg decisions

Haha you too huh? Yeah I won't be able to wait for part 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ah you get stuff for doing the demo? Guess that’s that then.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Seems like it's just consumables, so nothing major

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
What would you do if you waited until part 3 anyway, play all 250+ hours of it back to back? That would be hard going.

I'm so hyped but I'm not watching that or playing the demo. Patiently waiting until I can SINK in.
My wife is away for work the weekend it comes out too so I am going to be a disgusting gremlin and binge it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Do you keep your progress or something? That's weird.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Arist posted:

Seems like it's just consumables, so nothing major

You don’t understand, I need to have more items I’ll refuse to use.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

What would you do if you waited until part 3 anyway, play all 250+ hours of it back to back? That would be hard going.

Yep, exactly. I would love every minute

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

cubicle gangster posted:

250 hours is lowballing it like crazy haha

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Am I the only one here who beat silent hill: the short message?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

cubicle gangster posted:

You gotta also play Crisis core remake somewhere in there before the second game

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm playing ff7 remake for the first time and I'm making extensive use of the gameplay capture feature to keep a bunch of memorable characters moments, most notably the bit where wedge begs cloud not to say anything BC Jesse will actually beat the living poo poo out of biggs and wedge, coming off ff16 it's incredibly refreshing

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm considering playing through the original FF7 so as to have the full experience, please convince me not to do this

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Kazzah posted:

I'm considering playing through the original FF7 so as to have the full experience, please convince me not to do this

I mean the modern versions of it have cheats you can turn on if it gets to be too much of a slog so whatever

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kazzah posted:

I legitimately don't believe you are getting the full experience of the "remakes" if you don't play through FF7 first. I think people will tell you they are fine as stand alone games, but I don't agree at all. The story stuff they're doing 100% assumes you have played FF7 and are familiar with the way the story goes and the characters

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kazzah posted:

I played through OG FF7 for the first time on Switch after loving Remake. It was fun!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As someone who played the remake but not the original, I missed a lot. A major part of the story is how it subverts your expectations and makes you doubt your memories of how things are supposed to go; if you don’t have those expectations or memories those parts will make very little sense

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
FF7 “Remake” isn’t just a description of the product, it’s a proper subtitle with story implications. 100% worth playing the original game first.

And the PS4 port of it is a pretty good way to do that! The high speed toggle alone is really nice. The boosts are a bit much, they’re basically cheating, but they beat the hell out of getting hosed somehow and needing to roll back to a save.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, to be blunt, Final Fantasy 7 Remake is more a sequel than a remake. It genuinely expects you to have played the original game or at least be familiar with it. You can probably muddle through without playing it but there are things it does which exist only to throw off returning players.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kazzah posted:

it owns, op. it's an all-timer and one of the most important games ever released

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

narrator pronounced ket shee wrong, he’s racist against the celts!!

timestamped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNG4_2PSy-A&t=2057s

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Alright, fine. Hell, maybe this means I won't have to wait for part 3 of the remake.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kazzah posted:

Alright, fine. Hell, maybe this means I won't have to wait for part 3 of the remake.

Oh, you'll still wait, because it will have 800 music tracks :unsmigghh:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm picking up a ff7 og save on my switch where I chose to run up the stairs at shinra hq and gave up just BC so much of the disc1 story has been hosed with or recontextualized just upto meeting aerith so far and it's been really cool and I wanna revisit the original to give some colour to my memories

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Larry Cum Free posted:

Yeah I think it's easier on the Playstation itself but in a browser it's a wild ride.

I did not know you could go to the store not on the console. Why would you?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

bows1 posted:

I did not know you could go to the store not on the console. Why would you?
I'm pretty sure you used to only be able to claim the PS+ games specific to the console you were using, but on a browser you could claim them all. I don't think that's a thing anymore.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I like claiming the PS+ games on the app in the morning and getting them downloading so they're there when I sit down to play at night.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I definitely wouldn't recommend playing VII Remake without at least being familiar with the story beats of the original game (which you should really just play). Many of the plot turns don't just play differently having that knowledge, they are constructed on the assumption that you have it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

njsykora posted:

I like claiming the PS+ games on the app in the morning and getting them downloading so they're there when I sit down to play at night.

I like immediately downloading the PS+ games and then forgetting about them but feeling very satisfied that my uninstalled list of games is really long and I am getting slightly more value from my console ownership

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok I completed the Rebirth demo. Super good stuff! Cloud overall moves a little faster than I remember him doing in Remake but there’s still plenty of sluggishness along the way don’t you worry. Worldbuilding and writing/voice acting great as ever and combat is excellent and the duo synergy ability things are super cool. Can’t wait for the 29th!!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just got an article pushed to me that says you can't play Cid or Vincent in rebirth. That sucks and isn't what I feel like the game was promising.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JBP posted:

I just got an article pushed to me that says you can't play Cid or Vincent in rebirth. That sucks and isn't what I feel like the game was promising.

I get why it's disappointing, they show up late in what the game will cover but not that late, but realistically they gotta save something for Part 3

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I remember that from maybe whenever the last trailer came out. I don’t mind really given how much is in the game already and yeah it’ll be nice to have the full roster in the final part

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

How are you playing it a week early? Review code?

I’m not. I played the demo through to the end, liked the artistic direction and vibes enough to keep my preorder, but am still too high on PoP to get into the okay-but-not-as-good metroidvania gameplay right now. So like, I will own it but it will sit on the figurative shelf for a while. I’ll get to it in a few months when I’m in the mood to relax with some trippy vibes.

I guess the “back on the shelf” phrase doesn’t work if you want to think of the demo and the full game as fully separate entities. I wasn’t expecting the choice of phrase to be scrutinized.

Game pretty, will still buy. Came out too close to a very similar game that’s goty level, need a break.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
do i need to redownload ff7 remake in order to have the save data from my playthrough of that game on my console for ff7 rebirth? is anything carrying forward? can you redownload save game data without having the game installed on your console? i remember that being a thing maybe back on ps4?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Soul Glo posted:

do i need to redownload ff7 remake in order to have the save data from my playthrough of that game on my console for ff7 rebirth? is anything carrying forward? can you redownload save game data without having the game installed on your console? i remember that being a thing maybe back on ps4?

FWIW what I read explicitly suggested you need the save data on your PS5, and as far as I can tell the only way to get it there is importing it, unfortunately.

e: this is under the assumption that you played it on PS4, to be clear

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 7, 2024

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Arist posted:

FWIW what I read explicitly suggested you need the save data on your PS5, and as far as I can tell the only way to get it there is importing it, unfortunately.

e: this is under the assumption that you played it on PS4, to be clear

PS4 save will also work, apparently, however there's a 2nd bonus item you get if you have a DLC save (which is PS5 only).

If your save's in the PS+ cloud you can just download it. Nothing "carries over" with it, it just checks if you have a save at all and then grants you bonus items based on the save existing (progress doesn't matter).

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

Nothing from Remake will carry forward into Rebirth, but you get some bonus Materia if you have Remake and Intermission save data present.

Leviathan Summon Materia if you have Remake save data and Ramuh Summon Materia if you have Intermission save data.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minor point that's unlikely to be an issue for anyone here, but for some reason they're doing a separate SKU for Chinese-speaking territories (e.g. Hong Kong, Taiwan) and South Korea. These regions will have two distinct copies of the game:

One will have text in Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Korean (so no English, Japanese etc. text).
The other will have text in English, Japanese, and all the European languages (same as the copies sold in Japan, the Americas and Europe)

All copies will have audio in English, Japanese, French and German.

Just be careful if you live in these territories so you don't get stuck with a SKU that isn't playable with English text (there is no cross-buy or anything between them).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

univbee posted:

If your save's in the PS+ cloud you can just download it. Nothing "carries over" with it, it just checks if you have a save at all and then grants you bonus items based on the save existing (progress doesn't matter).

thanks, i'll fiddle around with this. i'd very much like to avoid having to redownload two other games for a couple of materia, but i also dont want to miss out on the materia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

90sgamer posted:

Am I the only one here who beat silent hill: the short message?

I played through it and it seemed like it wanted me to do it again but I just deleted it.