Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

dr_rat posted:

Wasn't one of the warhammer 4k warp demon things all about corrupting people so everyone just constant loving in a very hellraiser way?

that demon critter's thing is decadence and extremes of sensation but i think they aren't allowed to talk about the sex part anymore so instead they just torture people which is more acceptable. my only contact with warhammer poo poo recently is just video games so maybe i'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Someone in the Epstein Thread posted a fascinating book that suggested the trauma of childhood sexual abuse, manifesting as Borderline Personality Disorder, and filtered through a religious worldview, presented as “witchcraft”. There were some sources that suggested communities basically didn’t know how to handle women who described sexual abuse and presented with BPD, since they’d be talking about sex and the devil or whatever.

I don’t know the degree to which that dovetails with incest or incest accusations, but it makes sense to me that we’re still basically unequipped to handle people who are abused and don’t enter therapy, many end up on skid row. So, imagine how that would have been handled then.

You would think as a society we would have gotten better at addressing these particular crimes and their dramatic and often lifelong fallout, but idk. SVU doesn’t really seem to give much reason to hope, as far as pop culture goes.

T'ai Chi Touchstones: Yang Family Secret Transmissions, edited by Douglas Wile

quote:

Three generations of Yang family masters lifted the art of T’ai-chi ch’uan from a closed courtyard in the Honan Province to the status of a national treasure and made of it, like India’s yoga, a gift to the world. Yang Lu-ch’an in the nineteenth century, fllowed by his sons and their sons, have given T’ai-chi ch’uan the theoretical and practical standard which still defines and shapes the art for a majority of practitioners today. This book draws together the written and photographic record of their teachings, a legacy spanning more than fifty years of published material. The contents include oral instruction, mnemonic verses and training songs, commentaries to the T’ai-chi Classics, essays, autobiography, and family legends, much of which have not been previously translated. 159 pages

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

uber_stoat posted:

that demon critter's thing is decadence and extremes of sensation but i think they aren't allowed to talk about the sex part anymore so instead they just torture people which is more acceptable. my only contact with warhammer poo poo recently is just video games so maybe i'm wrong.

yeah they don't frontload all the weird sex stuff, but its still there in the background. don't really see them getting much credit for having the avatar of desire and sexual pleasure being a transgender monster, but their icon is literally a combination of the old signs for male and female.
but for the most part they're trying to reach a wider market, so they dial back the sex...but there's a couple characters in the books at least that are well known for getting it on. they just have the good sense not to describe it.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_People:_A_Year_in_the_Taiga

this was ok, had a dog in it

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Wasn't one of the warhammer 4k warp demon things all about corrupting people so everyone just constant loving in a very hellraiser way?

the god of excess, perfection, pain, etc. Sex is only one aspect of the dark prince Slaanesh.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Frosted Flake posted:

He painted himself into a corner because gleefully subverting expectations and convention makes it very hard to tie together the completely scattered plot threads in a satisfying way.

“This isn’t your grandfather’s novel!” becomes a liability when some of those storytelling conventions, say not introducing random characters for no discernible reason, actually served a purpose.
He is just making sure he really subverts expectations, by having the books only get released a decade after his death, when no one expects them to ever be finished.

Ardent Communist posted:

yeah they don't frontload all the weird sex stuff, but its still there in the background. don't really see them getting much credit for having the avatar of desire and sexual pleasure being a transgender monster, but their icon is literally a combination of the old signs for male and female.
Well, hermaphroditic, not transgender. But yeah, good on them for having sexual pleasure belong to both men and women.

Hell, they even came up with their own pronoun for shem in the 80s, making them the most progressive Brits the world has ever seen.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

the milk machine posted:

anthony bourdain gave every kitchen employee the idea that they're some kind of combination artist/doctor/first responder and it sucks big rear end

The bear is impossible for me to watch because I know like ten of this guy and I already don't hang out with any of them either

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

i say swears online posted:

lol I'm still kinda miffed about not getting howland reed in the books

Lady Stoneheart was a weird one because like you said, unfinished pointless realistic stories were his wheelhouse but Stoneheart was about as mystical as he got

there was also beric dondarrion who keeps getting killed then brought back to life with magical cpr + has a sword that lights on fire by itself

i think there was something else too but i dont remember the books from 15 years ago well enough

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

thinking about the goofy hammer that gendry had in the last seasons of game of thrones

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Whirling posted:

thinking about the goofy hammer that gendry had in the last seasons of game of thrones

was it the War Hammer? ive heard things about that

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Whirling posted:

if your enemy is in full plate armor and you're not a supernatural "I can put my sword perfectly in my enemy's 3mm weak point" kinda fighter, a hammer is the ideal weapon

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ammanas posted:

there was also beric dondarrion who keeps getting killed then brought back to life with magical cpr + has a sword that lights on fire by itself

i think there was something else too but i dont remember the books from 15 years ago well enough

Victarion the plate armor wearing pirate with the magical burned hand and the horn that binds dragons

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

the milk machine posted:

so it seems I've never seen a Werner Herzog; what are a good couple things to start with? I assume the bear one is one

Aguirre
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
In GoT, both show & book open with ice demons raising the dead as zombies

Every character who we see that has a dream or vision it comes true in some form. Every single character!

Magic is everywhere

he's the only one that knows everything. he was supposed to do a huge loredump and blow our minds

:shrug: Was he? Which pov character is supposed to meet up with him? And what does he know, other than Jon's a half dragon? The average reader knows more of what's going on than any single character, especially one as in-universe reclusive and unimportant as the swamp chieftain. His kids probably know, Varys too maybe I forget if Ned ever gives him that letter to Jon

Anyways it doesn't matter, fans figured out the clues before the 4th book was out, making a Reed appearance redundant. Though it would be pretty on brand for Grrm to have him show up, then still not tell anyone lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Blood Boils posted:

In GoT, both show & book open with ice demons raising the dead as zombies

Every character who we see that has a dream or vision it comes true in some form. Every single character!

Magic is everywhere

:shrug: Was he? Which pov character is supposed to meet up with him? And what does he know, other than Jon's a half dragon? The average reader knows more of what's going on than any single character, especially one as in-universe reclusive and unimportant as the swamp chieftain. His kids probably know, Varys too maybe I forget if Ned ever gives him that letter to Jon

Anyways it doesn't matter, fans figured out the clues before the 4th book was out, making a Reed appearance redundant. Though it would be pretty on brand for Grrm to have him show up, then still not tell anyone lol
Rhaegar is Jon's dad, not Ned, BUT Rhaegar warged into Ned just before he died and had been protecting his own true son all along. When "Ned" was mourning his sister, he was actually mourning the love of his life.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
that episode of The Bear where richie learns about how great being a waiter is and how the ultimate experience is serving others at a restaurant? that episode was wack

also wtf is this poo poo with slicing up a deep dish pizza with a cookie cutter and serving it at a fancy restaurant

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Frosted Flake posted:

He painted himself into a corner because gleefully subverting expectations and convention makes it very hard to tie together the completely scattered plot threads in a satisfying way.

“This isn’t your grandfather’s novel!” becomes a liability when some of those storytelling conventions, say not introducing random characters for no discernible reason, actually served a purpose.

And the "anyone can die" gimmick is less impressive when you're got so many characters and keep introducing more characters, that periodic culls are required.

I'm on board with the idea that authors don't own their audience anything. But if you build a series on promise and anticipation (also see: Lost), don't be surprised that people get angry when that promise isn't fulfilled.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Ammanas posted:

That shadow baby that killed Renly was the first big instance of magic affecting the 'realistic' politic plot. That was in the second book.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I really love A Song of Ice and Fire but I feel like GRRM's just gonna spend the remainder of his life having fun instead of finishing the series. Good for him, but I hope he didn't pick Brandon Sanderson to finish it after he passes away because I'm not a fan.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

you got the only ending you’re gonna get

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lumpentroll posted:

you got the only ending you’re gonna get

the moment he dies they're gonna poo poo out an ending

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You got the outline of the ending and everyone hated it.
Why would he finish when people still love the side books and the HOT D show has fans?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He is just making sure he really subverts expectations, by having the books only get released a decade after his death, when no one expects them to ever be finished.

Well, hermaphroditic, not transgender. But yeah, good on them for having sexual pleasure belong to both men and women.

Hell, they even came up with their own pronoun for shem in the 80s, making them the most progressive Brits the world has ever seen.

Britain was pretty up their for progressive lgbt+ advocacy before the great terfining undid everything. We are, however, going backwards way faster than we did forwards so yeah it all adds up to a big bucket of poo poo

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

its more amazing that grrm hasn’t died from covid due to going to cons and being creepy to young women

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

You got the outline of the ending and everyone hated it.
Why would he finish when people still love the side books and the HOT D show has fans?

You really do have to wonder how close it hews to his outline at that point though

like the last book is just setting up poo poo that never or barely makes it into the show (warging, fake Aegon, Stoneheart, the Greyjoys, everything in Dorne, etc etc)

If you can throw away all of book 5 and still get to the same place, I can understand why GRRM just threw up his hands and said "ah gently caress it"

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

idk i just remember then spending years and years rabidly defending patrick rothfuss against the dastardly goons for like a decade. they're probably still around but i havent read tbb in forever

Lol I just remembered Rothfuss, and lmao.

I remember when he said the third book was already written, in 2011?

Not that I'd read it, I enjoyed book one, but book two got way too stupid.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Whirling posted:

I really love A Song of Ice and Fire but I feel like GRRM's just gonna spend the remainder of his life having fun instead of finishing the series. Good for him, but I hope he didn't pick Brandon Sanderson to finish it after he passes away because I'm not a fan.

I say GRRM speak a few years ago - before the end of the TV show - and he was more down to earth than you'd expect. The whole audience clearly adored the books and was ready to worship him, but he thinks of himself as a working writer who has had good and bad luck. More power to him.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You really do have to wonder how close it hews to his outline at that point though

like the last book is just setting up poo poo that never or barely makes it into the show (warging, fake Aegon, Stoneheart, the Greyjoys, everything in Dorne, etc etc)

If you can throw away all of book 5 and still get to the same place, I can understand why GRRM just threw up his hands and said "ah gently caress it"

Like others have said he's written himself into a corner.
He's basically a British History nerd whose fan fiction went viral and as he keeps adding cool historical trivia as plot points it gets harder and harder to get back to the ending he planned.
...and, again, it's an ending everyone is on record as hating.

So I think the show kept it close, removed all the subtlety because BnW were already checked out, and just assumed GRRM's writing would carry them except he didn't write it anymore

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Couldn't he just write his War of the Roses to end with the Battle of Bosworth Field and Tudor rule? I mean, if he started out writing historical fanfic, that's his way home. The rest of it is just a distraction and he can tie up however he likes, but it's peripheral, like French support for the Lancastrians.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

King Gendry is still the only really satisfying ending IMO

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the milk machine posted:

so it seems I've never seen a Werner Herzog; what are a good couple things to start with? I assume the bear one is one

I would pair some of his movies with a related documentary.

fitzcarraldo (w/ behind-the-scenes docu burden of dreams by les blank)
aguirre (w/ my best fiend)
the wild blue yonder (w/ encounters at the end of the world)
rescue dawn (w/ little dieter needs to fly)

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

the bear s2 wasnt as good as s1, but i still liked it, the christmas ep was extremely good, and i stan ayo

but lol at the whole "if anything is off by 10 seconds in any restaurant it causes cascading slowdowns and the whole system falls apart" like just hire literally one more than the absolute bare minimum number of employees lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

like just hire literally one more than the absolute bare minimum number of employees lol

No.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

the bear s2 wasnt as good as s1, but i still liked it, the christmas ep was extremely good, and i stan ayo

but lol at the whole "if anything is off by 10 seconds in any restaurant it causes cascading slowdowns and the whole system falls apart" like just hire literally one more than the absolute bare minimum number of employees lol

yeah no redundancy at all, and good luck if someone needs to take a break or something. somebody should make a show about a soviet canteen where it's all chill and they just make tons of food for different people.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

King Gendry is still the only really satisfying ending IMO

primogeniture ftw

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

primogeniture ftw

King Stannis would have been satisfying too bc "the dead king is succeeded by his brother, who was literally next in the line of succession because his children were illegitimate" is a boring ending on paper which is itself a subversion

I've said it over and over though, once you're in the endgame chapter and Stannis is dead, Gendry has been legitimized by Dany, which makes him Robert's legal heir. King Gendry or bust. Way better story than Bran "my dick don't work" Stark

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

this post is true and I was also annoyed at Ayo's rich-people-food vacation. All posts so far have been true

and my wife and I were complaining out loud at the 3-star restaurant repackaging and serving someone else's deep-dish pizza

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

They hosed up with all the lord of light poo poo with Stannis, he was my boy and could have been a great character without that, win or lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AULR_GPteNQ