Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
are they equating anti-Zionism with antisemitism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

tuyop posted:

always, the two are intentionally conflated for these people

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's the only card they got

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

they'll eagerly accuse non-zionist jews who criticize israel of being antisemites and/or fake jews, so, y'know...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
ok I thought I was missing some wave of rabid fascists attacking the other fascists, both of whom are white supremacists but only one of them currently gets money from Canada for a genocide

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

it’s also worth noting that there is a double standard, it’s been a total blank cheque until now for pro-Israel politicians and immediate consequences for pro-Palestinian ones.

Zionism is a fascist movement that deems anything but total and absolute loyalty to the Israeli state as anti-Semitic and in this latest round of violence they’ve also started using social justice language to recast their violent colonization as decolonization at the hands of an indigenous people.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

it's deliberate and they know what they are doing

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

this country is full of racist cowards and i hate them all

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
turn on your monitor

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
feels bad to loving lose all the time let me tell you

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the language CIJA uses is always so interesting. the length of the text defending the racist BC minister is far longer than when they showed "concern" about canadian parliament cheering on a nazi

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dreylad posted:

the language CIJA uses is always so interesting.

They literally exist to subvert national interest for the state of Israel while claiming to speak for Canadian Jewish people, after taking over Jewish community groups in a series of hostile takeovers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont wanna doom post but I really don't know how anyone who isn't delusional or an outright rear end in a top hat can have any faith in our elected officials. I want to just be able to say gently caress it and stop caring but I really can't stop caring because I know just how bad things can and will get on this hellbound trajectory. Libs are imploding, Dippers sit in the corner jacking off, Cons are arming up to murder the people I care about and all of them are selling us out and nobody with any power to stop it gives a poo poo. It's someone else's problem now gimme my pension before I gently caress off to the private sector. And thats just at the federal level. Provincial poo poo gives us our current crop of psychopaths and municipalities are run like retail managers on a power trip.

The moment anyone is given power or office the rest of us get hosed and stuck with the cost.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
lmao i just found out today that my family doctor fired me as a patient for being trans back in december lmao, my gender menders sent over the info about my HRT so she could take over the prescribing and she straight refused; I told her fine, I'd take care of it. A couple weeks later I got a call from a clinic I have never been to asking me to get back to them about my T; I had just gotten a refill so I didnt need more and had a lot of other stuff going on so I let it go and mostly forgot.

Today I got a call from that clinic and found out that my doctor had, without my knowledge or consent, forwarded them all my information with the intention that they be my new family practice.

lol. lmao. gently caress.

as it happens my MLA is both queer and the health minister so im calling their constituency office in the morning; I was just gonna file a complaint with the college of physicians but i suspect theyre uniquely able to provide advice.

e: like the above post, I dont disagree and i dont have a lot of hope but in this case at least my individual representatives have shown themselves to be pretty good. at the end of the day i still file that fuckin complaint

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

we got the worst BC NDP front bencher fired over medium-spicy Zionist comments, that’s a double W by my counting

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And we're barreling headlong into handing the reins over to a lie-spewing demagogue and all I can contribute is proofreading transcripts full of his nonsense or I get to listen and record the absolute failure of anyone to hold him accountable.

I need a different job, I think. And some sleep, no use moaning about this at midnight.

Arc Hammer has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Feb 7, 2024

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

And we're barreling headlong into handing the reins over to a lie-spewing demagogue and all I can contribute is proofreading transcripts full of his nonsense or I get to listen and record the absolute failure of anyone to hold him accountable.

I need a different job, I think. And some sleep, no use moaning about this at midnight.

honest to god serious question, how would one go about getting such a job? this is obviously a hosed up question to ask when it's clearly done a number on you, but this intersects with one of my interests (the rhetoric of far-right ideology) so I think I'd be able to handle it for a while.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

neongrey posted:

as it happens my MLA is both queer and the health minister so im calling their constituency office in the morning; I was just gonna file a complaint with the college of physicians but i suspect theyre uniquely able to provide advice.
I would do all of the above. At the very least forwarding your medical info without your consent is a breach of ethics and dipshit doctors need the college to come down on them like a hammer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

neongrey posted:

honest to god serious question, how would one go about getting such a job? this is obviously a hosed up question to ask when it's clearly done a number on you, but this intersects with one of my interests (the rhetoric of far-right ideology) so I think I'd be able to handle it for a while.

I feel like I'm being vague whenever I post about what my work actually entails but it really is hard for me to describe. In practice most of my day is listening to politicians make announcements, talk to reporters, and make sure to hit the record button.

It was an Indeed posting that happened to call me back. It's a transcription office and our primary clients are the government departments who want written transcripts so they know what their ministers are saying or if there's something relevant to their given portfolios. So with the house currently sitting our main work during the week are those media scrums you see before and after cabinet, caucus and QP meetings. Lots of questions asking for MP and Minister reactions to news stories or announcements.

I'm on the office side of things so my work is to coordinate our WFH transcribers' assignments for each day, record news conference livestreams/dial-ins from our soundboard when we don't have on-site recording and then I also deal directly with our clients for transcript ordering and delivery.

It's not like we exclusively deal with Skippy but his yapping this week about auto theft has piqued some of our clients so I'm getting more of his bullshit to listen to than usual and it's gets taxing. Our transcribers have stronger nerves than I do because they have to listen multiple times sped up or slowed down while they're typing away. Some of them have been working at this stuff for over 20 years, it seems like a very specific mindset that can put up with politics nonsense for that long.

I really don't know if there's a "right" way to fall into this line of work since I don't know of any other companies that actually do it. One of our transcribers is a part-timer whose main job is transcribing for Parliament themselves since they do up a written record of absolutely everything. They're the most similar but we just focus on the media side of things, I'd go insane if we actually had to listen and type up Question Period itself.

You just realize that you're plugged into the news cycle listening to everything day in day out and depending on what the client needs you end up having to listen to Skippy or Danielle Smith talk utter garbage because it's your job. The rhetoric of far-right ideology comes across in how they talk, how they pick and choose which questions to answer and which to deride, and you come away from it thinking everyone involved is a loving rear end in a top hat and an idiot.

Arc Hammer has issued a correction as of 07:06 on Feb 7, 2024

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

I would do all of the above. At the very least forwarding your medical info without your consent is a breach of ethics and dipshit doctors need the college to come down on them like a hammer.

yeah deffo. i was coincidentally planning to look for someone else because how badly she jerked me around on my arthritis as it arose last year, I just hadnt had the spoons because, as it happens, a crippling autoimmune disease causes some debilitating amounts of pain. I'm much improved now, no thanks to her, so I was planning to get to it soon, but not like this.

Arc Hammer posted:

[a lot of really good info]

thanks, I really appreciate it; when I get some headspace I might polish up the ol' resume and go looking at ye olde job postings. I have some transcriptionist experience and the ability to hear a lot of hateful garbage and mentally treat it as an exercise in seeing how it's constructed.

neongrey has issued a correction as of 07:52 on Feb 7, 2024

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Karach posted:

Because the NDP is cool with genocide but felt like they had to make some kind of minimal appeasing gesture

I can't wait for Jesse's hour long monologue about how this hurt his feelings

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

in 30 minutes I find out if I’m facing eviction yet again since 2020 (through no fault of my own)

people are being backed into a corner and it’s lovely to blame them for trying to stabilize their living situation

Cold on a Cob posted:

my landlord is selling

her agent asked me if i want to buy and i said to her "yeah we might be interested. and it would be easier for you, rather than having to list a tenanted unit"

no mercy for landlords, going to use every ounce of leverage i have

update: the price they offered to sell to me was way too high for a tenanted unit.

i'm going to let them try to sell their tenanted unit on the open market. if they don't offer me a good n11 deal up front i'm going to tell every single potential buyer viewing the unit to make sure they ask for vacant possession in the purchase offer while letting that cbc story about the 1 year LTB backlog play on all the tvs/monitors in my apartment :sickos:

cspam give me your energy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

update: the price they offered to sell to me was way too high for a tenanted unit.

i'm going to let them try to sell their tenanted unit on the open market. if they don't offer me a good n11 deal up front i'm going to tell every single potential buyer viewing the unit to make sure they ask for vacant possession in the purchase offer while letting that cbc story about the 1 year LTB backlog play on all the tvs/monitors in my apartment :sickos:

i'm sorry, and good luck, we're all counting on you

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Get em cob! Stay strong

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

COPE 27 posted:

I can't wait for Jesse's hour long monologue about how this hurt his feelings

Hey. Jesse here. We've heard a lot lately about how former NDP cabinet minister Selina Robinson was forced to resign over her supposedly "inflammatory" comments about how what is now Israeli territory was a "crappy piece of land" before Jewish settlers got there. About how she was insensitive, off base, racist, a genocide-supporting monster, and so on. A lot of hate has been directed her way.

But, what if, (and hear me out here), she was right? What if that land was actually really crappy, an empty wasteland, before settlers learned to make the desert bloom?

Our guest today, an Israeli journalist, thinks this might be the case. He's best known for his book "Flowers from Ashes: Israel after 1948." We'll ask him why he thinks Selina Robinson just. might. be. right.

Wait for it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I realized the other week that on the off chance jesse brown does something useful again, I'll probably hear about it without my needing to subscribe to his podcast

obvious in retrospect but just in case anyone else needs a hand pushing that unsubscribe button

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

pokeyman posted:

I realized the other week that on the off chance jesse brown does something useful again, I'll probably hear about it without my needing to subscribe to his podcast

obvious in retrospect but just in case anyone else needs a hand pushing that unsubscribe button

The backbench is still useful, as is commons. Occasionally there is some good stuff on the main feed, at least when Jesse isn't hosting. But I can't stand listening to Jesse now. His fundamental dishonesty in how he approaches his subject matter makes me question everything the network puts out now.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Halifax cops are gonna start busting up homeless camps in the next couple weeks. Extremely badass to announce this three days after the biggest Nor'Easter we've seen in like a decade. Super cool. But it's okay because they're preventing 'gang victimisation and human trafficking' by sending the pigs to forcefully displace people with nowhere else to go

Last time they did this they had to crack skulls and pepper spray a crowd while a manager from Public Works took a chainsaw to a shelter. Also pretty sure council is, at this moment, approving a budget increase for cops that adds something like twenty officers between city police and the Mounties. Nice hell yeah

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Council held two public engagement sessions about the more money for pigs and the overwhelming public opinion was 'No.' aside from *gasp* some landlords and small business owners. They were even sent a petition with hundreds of signatures begging them not to hire more cops and when I emailed my councillor a week ago to say 'No more cops' he went 'well I haven't bothered to read their budget request yet but a bunch of small business owners asked for more cops so...'. Hell yeah dude gently caress yeah. Same council that welcomed an internal report in the wake of the Floyd protests that explicitly said 'No more cops and stop sending cops to mental health calls'.

HRP's excuse for the budget increase? More cops dedicated specifically to mental health calls

Council election this year. Maybe if I VOTE. hard enough someone based will takeover and fix everything

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Homelessness is a crime that must be punished by chainsaw-wielding cops. Otherwise they will never learn

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i know people throw around the phrase "the cruelty is the point" a lot but with this poo poo it absolutely is the point

they aren't trying to fix the problem, they're trying to scare everyone else. this is what they mean when they talk about "moral hazard"

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I’m already terrified of becoming homeless, they really don’t have to belabour the point.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the more people are pushed to the margins the more they ramp up the abuse

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cold on a Cob posted:

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take our energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su09kqjEHZM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ichiban needs to beat up the anti-homeless politicians.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

LPC deciding to adopt the Hillary campaign seems like it will end well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLF1Yb0bBQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

UBC student commuting from… Calgary… to save money

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/ubc-student-commutes-from-calgary-cheaper-than-paying-vancouver-rent-1.6759116