Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

maffew buildings posted:

"the defendent was guilty but granted khorne's blessing after they murdered their accuser, the prosecutors, the jury, the gallery, their own defense..."

Congratulations you’ve reinvented civilization from first principles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

ob21 posted:

.... It's as if they took a 5 Star restaurant and broke it into two cafeterias located half a continent apart supplemented by a dozen curbside pop-ups, with the intention of still being able to produce the expensive high quality dining experience. What could possibly go wrong?

Their tasting menu desert would be “Deconstructed jetliner, 5 ways.”

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Their tasting menu desert would be “Deconstructed jetliner, 5 ways.”

what if I like my jetliners like I like my cheeseburgers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pls7lt9Fz-E

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ob21 posted:

...it certainly tracks with what I know about Boeing's antiquated QA procedures in the early 90s. The system worked more than well enough based on WWII era procedures, but inevitably it had to be brought into the 21st Century. Those bolts were missing likely because of a software glitch that nobody caught...

if you go by the article that was posted in the last monthly thread, they use 1 official system for problems/work and 1 that is not official but is used for ~metrics~

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

facialimpediment posted:

I remember when houses of Congress used to be able to pass messaging bills to show the voice of where their chamber is politically. Right now, the voice of both chambers is basically saying hshejdvsjbdjsb

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1755017365819974024?t=xvVFjWZxSQSuyduucZEotQ&s=19

Edit: what in the

https://twitter.com/JonathanTamari/status/1755015880650440899?t=rP00Boosf9KRqGcEquNJUg&s=19

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1755016649994863060?t=RIHcVipfFcTkPm7j_6qagA&s=19

lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GOP once again making Democrats look cooler than they deserve

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

*hundreds of Democratic Representatives come fast-roping down from the chamber ceiling right as the vote is cast*

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Bah Gawd, that's Al Greene's music! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'm getting this weird feeling thinking about the prelude to the Great War in Falllout and how everything broke down right before the US annexed Canada followed by the opening nuclear salvo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Elviscat posted:

*hundreds of Democratic Representatives come fast-roping down from the chamber ceiling right as the vote is cast*

Remembering how long before cell phones LBJ knew the exact expected vote counts for all legislation & maneuvered accordingly. These fools just seem too lazy to bother.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Remembering how long before cell phones LBJ knew the exact expected vote counts for all legislation & maneuvered accordingly. These fools just seem too lazy to bother.
I'd like to see YOU accurately whip votes while your people are providing content for the 1,000 right wing grift "news" channels.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Whoa someone actually tried “have twin take the blame” to get out of a crime. It uh, had some flaws.

quote:

A Minnesota woman whose S.U.V. struck a horse and buggy last fall, killing two children and injuring two others, tried to trick the authorities into believing that her twin sister was the driver, according to court documents.

The woman, Samantha Petersen, 35, was charged Monday with 21 counts, including criminal vehicular homicide, driving under the influence of drugs and leaving the scene of the crash in Stewartville, Minn. It was not immediately clear whether she was in custody, or had legal representation. Neither she nor her sister could immediately be reached for comment on Tuesday evening.

quote:

Eyewitnesses who had been driving on the road told sheriff’s deputies that they had stopped when they noticed the rubble and injured children. One witness said that he had noticed two women, both with blond hair, who looked similar. One wore a black coat, black leggings and sandals; the other, later revealed to be Samantha Petersen, the driver of the silver S.U.V., wore a red Hy-Vee grocery store uniform, footage from the sheriff’s office later showed.

The woman in the black coat, Sarah Petersen, 35, identified herself to a sheriff’s deputy, and claimed she had been driving the silver S.U.V. When asked for her driver's license, she said it was in a black S.U.V., not the silver one involved in the crash. During an interview in the deputy’s car, she said that, while driving home from a night shift in Rochester, Minn., she had not seen the buggy on the road, and hit it.

The deputy then left the car, but his recorder — which remained on near Ms. Petersen — taped her telling her twin sister that she believed one of the deputies was onto her, according to the complaint. “There’s no way they would ever know the difference between the two of us,” she added, “so they can’t tell.”

But the false story quickly unraveled. An employee at Hy-Vee, where both sisters worked, told investigators they had received a hysterical call from Samantha Petersen on the morning of the crash in which she said she was high on methamphetamines and had killed two Amish children.

She also sent a text message to another person admitting she had killed the children, according to the complaint. She added, “made sarah come there and take the fall for it so i wouldn’t go to prison.” Public records show Samantha Petersen has several prior convictions, including driving under the influence and giving a false name to law enforcement.

Another employee at Hy-Vee told investigators that Sarah Petersen, who had been in prison, might have taken responsibility for the crash out of a belief that she owed her sister for looking after her children in her absence.

A review of searches on Samantha Petersen’s phone later revealed she had looked up: “What happens if you get in an accident with an Amish buggy and kill two people,” and “if you hit a buggy and kill two people are you going to prison?”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/06/us/mn-amish-buggy-charge.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Tk0.V6gI.Ycq54NDvwpin&bgrp=g&smid=url-share

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

stealie72 posted:

I'd like to see YOU accurately whip votes while your people are providing content for the 1,000 right wing grift "news" channels.

Yeah it's that, plus leadership has zero ability to gently caress up rank-and-file members that get out of line. Pelosi could count her votes, credibly threaten anyone out of line, strategically release vulnerable members to vote no, and never go to the floor until she had the votes.

Hell, Republicans can't even get most bills out of the Rules Committee, due to the freedom caucus chuds they put in there. They're blocking nearly everything from going to the floor, so Johnson is calling all this poo poo up "under suspension" with 2/3rds needed to pass anything, instead of the barely-simple majority that he has.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
This latest batch of full loony republicans I've always thought their shepherd lacked a big stick to keep them in line, and now instead they've got their "base" that will threaten to burn their house down if they don't do what they want (what their TV tells them they should want).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whoa someone actually tried “have twin take the blame” to get out of a crime. It uh, had some flaws.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/06/us/mn-amish-buggy-charge.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Tk0.V6gI.Ycq54NDvwpin&bgrp=g&smid=url-share

The good news is the next people to Google "What happens if you get in an accident with an Amish buggy and kill two people" will have some useful results.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

The good news is the next people to Google "What happens if you get in an accident with an Amish buggy and kill two people" will have some useful results.

I'm surprised she went really specific with it. Like did she think there was a magic law saying that amish buggies where things you could run over without penalty.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm surprised she went really specific with it. Like did she think there was a magic law saying that amish buggies where things you could run over without penalty.

I could see someone worrying the opposite, whether there are any extra penalties to hitting a buggy instead of a car?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Defenestrategy posted:

This is why I direct my amish murder inquiries to DuckDuckGo, they don't hand that poo poo straight to the cops like Google.

Also if you get into less serious accidents than that with the Amish, I've read they're very loathe to ever go to the cops or sue, preferring to let God sort it out.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

I could see someone worrying the opposite, whether there are any extra penalties to hitting a buggy instead of a car?

I would think the manslaughter of two people would be the more concerning thing, than what they where riding.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

Poor ol’ Freckles, thought of cars and died

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Poor ol' Karen, thought of punishment and lied

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Defenestrategy posted:

There's a long history of anyone not in a car being treated as fair game for drivers, even when the driver was unambiguously reckless. Veer wildly around a car stopped for a 13-year-old cyclist in a marked crosswalk with PHB lights flashing, utterly pulverizing them? Oops—what a tragic accident for which no one can be held accountable!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

On that note, a few months back in north Seattle a video surfaced of a driver intentionally running over people. They made arrests:

quote:

A 13-year-old girl and a 15-year-old boy accused of intentionally hitting pedestrians using stolen cars on Aurora Avenue were charged Tuesday in King County Superior Court.

Both are charged with second-degree assault, and the 15-year-old is also charged with possession of a stolen motor vehicle and hit-and-run with injuries. The Seattle Times typically does not name juvenile suspects unless they are charged as adults.

In early December, police released cellphone video taken from inside two cars that showed pedestrians being targeted, along with surveillance footage from nearby businesses. After the videos were made public, both victims came forward and reported suffering serious injuries, police said.

The cellphone footage shows a driver intentionally targeting a woman walking in a driveway on North 107th Street, just west of Aurora, early on Nov. 26. In the videos, someone can be heard telling the driver to “hit this [expletive],” and then saying “yeah” after they collided. At least two people are heard laughing in the footage, according to probable cause documents filed in Superior Court.

The other video shows a woman in a white coat standing in a bus lane before the vehicle hits her in the back, causing her to crumple on the hood before she was tossed aside, according to the documents.

An Everett police officer received the footage from two people who knew the teenagers. They determined the vehicles shown were likely a white Hyundai and a black Kia that had both been reported stolen. Everett police shared their investigation with Seattle police, who learned from witnesses that the teenagers were dating. A detective determined both assaults had been on Aurora Avenue North.

A nearby business provided video of the assault on North 107th Street, and Seattle police shared footage of the suspects’ assaults online and with news outlets.

The woman hit at 107th was being interviewed as a victim of an unrelated crime when she told police she also had been a victim of a hit-and-run on Aurora. Several times during the interview, a detective wrote, she began to cry. “This incident had obviously taken a mental toll on her,” the detective wrote. The woman had suffered deep scrapes, bruises and nerve pain, according to the documents.

Another victim called the SPD tip line to report she was the victim of the other assault, according to court documents. That victim said she was walking back to her car, and the next thing she remembered, she regained consciousness to find herself lying in the road, according to the documents.

She got a concussion and had other wounds on her limbs. She started getting fatigued easily and was scared to leave her home, according to charging papers.

Detectives secured a search warrant for the 13-year-old’s phone and recovered the videos and time and location data matching the assaults, according to the charges. Witnesses said the 13-year-old’s voice sounded like the voice egging the driver on in the videos.

A friend of the 13-year-old girl gave police photos of her boyfriend, who looked like the boy in the footage, according to the probable cause documents. Glimpses of the rearview mirror caught on the video also showed his reflection, according to the documents.

Text messages recovered from the 13-year-old’s phone revealed she and her friends joked about driving stolen cars and “hitting hookers,” according to the documents. Internet searches made on the phone also showed “aurora streetwalker hit and run,” “stolen kia,” and “possession of firearm first degree.”

The Hyundai and Kia allegedly used in the two assaults were both later recovered by law enforcement and deemed a “total loss,” according to the documents.

Dunno what even to do with kids that broken at that age. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/teens-charged-in-aurora-avenue-hit-and-runs-targeting-pedestrians/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

Used to be a lot more leeway when specific groups/families would ride buggies without lights or reflective gear, but that style of buggy seems to have gone away (at night) due to both law enforcement and just by frequency of death.

Buggy light laws in daytime are still hotly debated and sometimes face noncompliance out of protest.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Possibly? There are laws protecting livestock, but nothing as serious as, you know, killing kids.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://vxtwitter.com/maxtmcc/status/1755099252874006648

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

On that note, a few months back in north Seattle a video surfaced of a driver intentionally running over people. They made arrests:

Dunno what even to do with kids that broken at that age. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/teens-charged-in-aurora-avenue-hit-and-runs-targeting-pedestrians/

This is probably going to be a very unpopular opinion but there’s probably not much that can be done with kids who are committing vehicular assault for fun in stolen cars before they’re old enough to legally drive. In all likelihood, they’re more likely than not going to end up in prison again for life or dead themselves.

We’re dealing with the same poo poo in DC, lots of armed carjackings and robberies committed by actual children (9-12 years old in some cases.) A few months ago a 13-year old kid got shot and killed after he and his 12-year old accomplice tried to carjack an armed security guard near the FBI HQ. And this is taking place in a city that funnels a ton of money into programs aimed at keeping kids off the streets. It’s a tragedy with no shortage of blame to go around.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I live near where that happened, but several blocks away from Aurora. Such a strange street, it's completely different from the places a block or two to the east and west where you have expensive apartments and houses, and bougie bars and restaurants.

It's the deadliest street in Seattle, and definitely one of the most economically socially struggling parts of the city.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

nevada stays winning :allears:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

We’re dealing with the same poo poo in DC, lots of armed carjackings and robberies committed by actual children (9-12 years old in some cases.) A few months ago a 13-year old kid got shot and killed after he and his 12-year old accomplice tried to carjack an armed security guard near the FBI HQ. And this is taking place in a city that funnels a ton of money into programs aimed at keeping kids off the streets. It’s a tragedy with no shortage of blame to go around.

between this and other threads around here remarking on how terrible kids have become lately, i'm left wondering what's happening and what can even be done about it. this poo poo definitely doesn't feel normal any more.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Nevada does a weird thing. The state created this primary thing on 2021 to be more inclusive (more people vote in primaries than go to caucuses) so naturally the GOP continues to caucus.

Both candidates chose to not run in both: trump because the primary on the GOP side doesn’t matter since the caucus is what allocates delegates, and haley because she knew she wouldn’t win in the Nevada caucus because of the electorate so she tried to get press as maybe winning in the primary.

It’s funny as hell she got bodied in the beauty contest by “none of these” but that really means she’s just like 30+ points behind thrump

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zamujasa posted:

between this and other threads around here remarking on how terrible kids have become lately, i'm left wondering what's happening and what can even be done about it. this poo poo definitely doesn't feel normal any more.

People have always been lovely and some subsection of people have always done shittier, more violent things to each other. We just have the internet now to get a 24/7 newsblast into our earballs telling us how lovely it is everywhere.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bird food bathtub posted:

Apparently Toby Keith kicked the bucket. Oh no. Anyway.

Now we’ve just got to do something about pantyhose.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

People have always been lovely and some subsection of people have always done shittier, more violent things to each other. We just have the internet now to get a 24/7 newsblast into our earballs telling us how lovely it is everywhere.

Yeah it's really just that. Crime is basically decreasing everywhere but DC, but the added visibility to every little thing turns it into CRIME WAVE CRIME WAVE BIDEN CRIME WAVE VOTE TRUMP TO BRING ORDER TO CHAOS

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Subjunctive posted:

:hmmyes: Alan jackson you're next, and then hopefully every other lovely cheerleader for that stupid loving war

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Current Event: Had the worst Whataburger ever and felt like I was gonna throw up on the small ERJ. But I think CLT may be my new favorite airport as these rocking chairs are awesome to kill layover time in

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
CLT is a funny name for an airport

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Milo and POTUS posted:

CLT is a funny name for an airport

Difficult to find, though.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Current Event: Had the worst Whataburger ever and felt like I was gonna throw up on the small ERJ. But I think CLT may be my new favorite airport as these rocking chairs are awesome to kill layover time in

I swear the quality of Whataburger tanked within months of being bought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only thing Whataburger is good for now is providing number placards for evidence markers.