Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Honestly, I disagree. Have a bit of loving integrity and if something sucks, tell people it sucks. Ordinary gamers don't have access to pre-release builds so basically can only make judgments on a game's potential worth based on a) what the dev's marketing says; and b) what content creators with pre-release access show them.

You do understand that in this case as in many others, the Influencer has to sign a contract explicitly promising not to say anything negative about the game before they're allowed to have a prerelease copy? I'm sure many would-be pro Youtubers share your view (and mine) on the subject, and exercised the only other option available to them: to not get to make a video about C:S2 before its release.

The lesson here is the same lesson we should all already have learned by now: pre-release Youtube reviews of games are of zero value and preordering a game is always a bad gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Eric the Mauve posted:

You do understand that in this case as in many others, the Influencer has to sign a contract explicitly promising not to say anything negative about the game before they're allowed to have a prerelease copy? I'm sure many would-be pro Youtubers share your view (and mine) on the subject, and exercised the only other option available to them: to not get to make a video about C:S2 before its release.

The lesson here is the same lesson we should all already have learned by now: pre-release Youtube reviews of games are of zero value and preordering a game is always a bad gamble.

Yep, totally get that - and to be fair, I missed out the third option in my previous post, to wit c) trust a dev whose previous game has given you 1,354.6 hours of fun to deliver a solid and fun second iteration which builds on the first while taking advantage of modern computing capabilities.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Even if they don't sign a contract promising not to say anything negative, putting out negative pre-release partner videos is a good way to ensure they never get work again.

Not that I'm down with hyper-monetized content churn or anything but it's their livelihood so they wouldn't want to shoot themselves in the foot like that.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah my sense of sadness is not because streamers didn't """whistleblow""" on an underwhelming video game.

It's just at the reminder that all these parasocial chill folks I like to watch are actually under literal contract to advertise to me with explicit marching orders about how many videos and for how long.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Yep, totally get that - and to be fair, I missed out the third option in my previous post, to wit c) trust a dev whose previous game has given you 1,354.6 hours of fun to deliver a solid and fun second iteration which builds on the first while taking advantage of modern computing capabilities.

The dev is beholden to the publisher, and you should never, ever trust a publicly traded corporation.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Eric the Mauve posted:

The dev is beholden to the publisher, and you should never, ever trust a publicly traded corporation.

CO's decision to release though - Mariina said so, so it must be true, oh wait :pants:

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Jonny Shiloh posted:

CO's decision to release though - Mariina said so, so it must be true, oh wait :pants:

Yeah, that's the same story we keep hearing "it's our decision, not the publishers" and every time it's loving bullshit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I mean, to add insult to injury, even Paradox are giving refunds now:

https://www.pcgamer.com/sims-competitor-life-by-you-delayed-to-june-to-refine-gameplay-and-add-more-life-to-character-faces/

This feels like CO are just taking the piss (and my money, obviously).

The idea of Paradox making a Sims competitor was absolute gold to me when it was announced, and now I am quite certain it's going to be hot garbage. They really screwed up because I've never been too averse to pre-ordering stuff in general and Paradox especially had my trust for several years there, I was a game and DLC whale for them, but after cracking the foundations for quite some time they brought the whole edifice crashing down because they have either caused or permitted this whole shitshow and I no longer have any confidence that their stuff will be fun or even functional.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot what an incredible pain in the rear end daisy-chaining neighbor deals in SC4 was. I even installed a mod because City C wouldn't see any deals from B, buying power from A. Finally had to get a mod just for that, and even then had to have another city give C power deals for it to show. Water and garbage worked just fine though, with even less surplus available lmao

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Looks like the creator dam is starting to burst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyPwbOEG0Lc

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

mfcrocker posted:

CityPlannerPlays also got interviewed by Engadget a while ago around the whole "toxic parts of community" things the CEO said, in what I can only describe as the most diplomatic response I have ever read:

https://www.engadget.com/whats-up-with-the-toxicity-around-cities-skylines-ii-213034938.html?guccounter=1 posted:

“Since the launch of Cities: Skylines II, things have without a doubt gotten more prickly,” Philip said. “While many people have been appreciative of Colossal Order’s transparency with the weekly updates as well as the frequent bug fixes, many appear to view Colossal Order as being all-too-willing to release a game that wasn’t ready to be released.”

“Colossal Order has been transparent, talking with the community, but has not taken accountability for the release of the game,” Philip said. “I hear this over and over again. Many players appear to want them to admit that the release state of the game was poor, say that they are sorry, and make some gesture to make amends. To date, they have delayed the DLC release — which actually was a huge negative for people that purchased the Ultimate Edition of the game — but not made amends. [They haven’t] provided the information that people are looking for.”

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, not a Biffa-level creator from a subs standpoint so not as much of a kick in the arse for PDX/CO but FWIW Cities by Diana bailed as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKgnvMBNKS0

gently caress Biffa though, he made his money shilling for a product he knew was broken and ignored everyone saying it was broken.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Oh I missed this

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-11.1622876/

Mariina got "a call from Sweden on Tuesday", and lo and behold, the WotW is back! Sure am glad she's not scared of the marketing team at Paradox any more at least.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

wit posted:

I do wonder if producers sit back and wait for domestic gaming computers to become common like the ones they work on so they never need to address things running like poo poo properly. Like they can drop a game that doesn't work properly because you cant squeeze it all into the generation you promised, hold your breath and just dump everything into a patch in a year or two and not worry.

I'm not saying the bugs are all hardware dependant or anything, but I am bitter that when say, cyberpunk had a dlc, it got forgiven and was treated like a darling and all sins forgotten after it essentially released a new version of the game that now kind of works.

Everyone in the industry has the memory of a goldfish, and fun forgives all sins. NMS is STILL a trash game from numerous design standpoints that is STILL missing stuff from the original trailers and people in this very thread are saying that's a laudable bar.

The new cyberpunk dlc did make the game markedly better, but its STILL fundamentally not a good game and STILL a massive departure from what was promised or should be expected. This is as much the fault of the consumer as it as the dev *shrug

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Oh I missed this

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-11.1622876/

Mariina got "a call from Sweden on Tuesday", and lo and behold, the WotW is back! Sure am glad she's not scared of the marketing team at Paradox any more at least.

Well, it’s back. I really don’t understand how CS2’s release has been this clownshoes. Wonder what self inflicted wound they’re going to create next month.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

At this point it's just the wait until they finally admit there will never be mod tools.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lmao

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

:hmbol:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Oh I missed this

It would be a good idea for you to stop talking about Mariina in this thread in this way.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

lovely sucklines poo

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Ive read the "i got a call" part like 5 times and it keeps getting funnier. What did they think would happen?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Maybe I’m missing context but I can’t read that as any way other than “the publisher called and said get back on the horn to your players, what the hell are you doing” and that strikes me as so odd that it’s included. Why not just say you understood the feedback yourself and take the credit for starting the word of the week again? Why make it sound like your boss had to yell at you, lol.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Maybe I’m missing context but I can’t read that as any way other than “the publisher called and said get back on the horn to your players, what the hell are you doing” and that strikes me as so odd that it’s included. Why not just say you understood the feedback yourself and take the credit for starting the word of the week again? Why make it sound like your boss had to yell at you, lol.

That is exactly what it was and it's so funny that she included it, but hey, what would this game be if we didn't have our weekly Monday source of entertainment from the words of the week.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think the context you're missing just might be Mariina basically daring Paradox to lean on the CO board to fire her with a nice fat severance. It's sure as hell what I would do in her current position.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think the context you're missing just might be Mariina basically daring Paradox to lean on the CO board to fire her with a nice fat severance. It's sure as hell what I would do in her current position.

I hope she's recording her calls so we get transcripts for the Netflix documentary in 3 years

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Gotta cast CO as the little guy just reporting the situation. Riot likes to hang onto similar implications a lot, so that if the messenger is shot it's just in the vision of followers of the assistant junior coordinator for itemization's twitter and if they aren't shot "well, we announced it and no one complained", but they've been smart enough to completely shut down the official channels they used to have rather than reopening them to do it in them.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does anyone else proofread or edit the posts before they are published? Or does Marina sit on them for at least a day before reading them again and thinking if all this is still a good idea? Or do they just post whatever comes into their mind directly?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
They feel like she got out of the Monday Morning Meetings, summarized everything she heard, and then :justpost:

Which I mean, Im kind of for it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Didn't she want to stop with those, and now Paradox told her to continue so she is but she is also telling everyone that they told her to? Have I got that right?

Saying you received a call from Sweden almost sounds like a meme. Not a good one of course.

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 6, 2024

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

HopperUK posted:

It would be a good idea for you to stop talking about Mariina in this thread in this way.

Uh oh am I going to get a call from Sweden?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Move The Mouse joins the club (to be fair, he's been critical of the game in previous vids)

https://youtu.be/sNYNpspa8xQ?t=114

At the timestamp above, he talks about the "creators' Discord" and how it was shut down following release - it's an interesting peek behind the curtain I think.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Does anyone else proofread or edit the posts before they are published? Or does Marina sit on them for at least a day before reading them again and thinking if all this is still a good idea? Or do they just post whatever comes into their mind directly?

No one can say for sure, but if CO is like 98% of companies worldwide Mariina doesn't write even the parts with her name on them. CEO emails the head of Marketing what they want it to say (in this case including "and make sure it points out Paradox are making me do this"), Marketing writes it, CEO asks for changes, dance continues until CEO signs off and Marketing posts it.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Eric the Mauve posted:

No one can say for sure, but if CO is like 98% of companies worldwide Mariina doesn't write even the parts with her name on them. CEO emails the head of Marketing what they want it to say (in this case including "and make sure it points out Paradox are making me do this"), Marketing writes it, CEO asks for changes, dance continues until CEO signs off and Marketing posts it.

I think you're getting 99% unfiltered Mariina here, I don't think the PR team would sign off on these WotWs as they are if they were in any way involved in the creation of them.

I also think the fact she mentions the call from Sweden is just her prickly way of not apologising for the volte-face on restarting the WotWs one week after saying she's not doing them any more.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You simply have to respect anyone that tries to post through it.

A true scholar of the game

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Maybe Sweden should make her pass them off to someone else

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

Speaking of, here's another one from yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNYNpspa8xQ

Not familiar with them (Move The Mouse) but they make good points.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
City Planner Plays is also reconsidering the amount of CSII videos he puts out. He also explains why the game is basically unplayable without the land value fix mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIdH28QExQc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wow, they even lost Phil. It really feels like the tide is turning in the last week or two. People are just fed up.