Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kchama posted:

Do you think that was a defense of Biden on Gaza? I was speaking to the perspectives of people who have Gaza as their reason to possibly support Trump.
i don't think many people who condemn biden for this is voting trump (likely because he to is guilty of this poo poo) but i apologize for aiming that at you if it is not your opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
What does the House GOP have against Andy Milonakis again?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

World Famous W posted:

i don't think many people who condemn biden for this is voting trump (likely because he to is guilty of this poo poo) but i apologize for aiming that at you if it is not your opinion

You'd be surprised. Too many people believe the nonsense about Trump being isolationist/dove. And not just on the left, either.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Eric Cantonese posted:

He's not Biden?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jesus Christ this is such a massive self-own

Just remember that them going after this guy was the consolation prize when they realized that moving forward with a Biden impeachment on shaky ground would just help him

https://twitter.com/MrSantosNY/status/1755014384009548256

Shoulda listened to Gaetz!

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1755017504638841055

Buddy, that's every day in Mike Johnson's House.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Fake Biden robocall before N.H. primary linked to Texas company, AG says
New Hampshire plans to pursue enforcement aggressively to send a message that election interference will not be tolerated. “The consequences for your actions will be severe,” said Attorney General John Formella.

Those two phrases amount to voter suppression, Attorney General John Formella said in a press conference Tuesday,detailing an investigation that traced the calls back to their source: Life Corporation, a Texas-based company owned by Walter Monk, and Lingo Telecom, the service provider from which the calls originated.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/02/06/metro/fake-biden-robocall-nh-primary-texas-company-election-interference/?s_campaign=audience:reddit

Maybe I missed it but I don't think this's been posted. I wonder if this "Walter Monk" is the same person as Jacob Wohl.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eric Cantonese posted:

As the head of Homeland Security, the immigration/border buck is supposed to stop with him. I don’t remember exactly what he was accused of, but they wanted a scalp and weren’t that picky

Kale
May 14, 2010

So I assume even if they get the votes in the house the Senate would have to affirm the impeachment and there's basically no chance of that. Unless the system for impeaching a cabinet secretary is somehow dumb

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

haveblue posted:

As the head of Homeland Security, the immigration/border buck is supposed to stop with him. I don’t remember exactly what he was accused of, but they wanted a scalp and weren’t that picky

You may be shocked to hear this, but it is very stupid.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-resolution/863/text

Insofar as they cite anything about anything, it's that he didn't use his discretion to detain absolutely every unauthorized immigrant until review and instead pursued legally permissible alternatives to detention.

which was admittedly a substantial and public Biden admin reform effort that I've been touting as good-if-insufficient, so of course Republicans are extremely angry

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kale posted:

So I assume even if they get the votes in the house the Senate would have to affirm the impeachment and there's basically no chance of that. Unless the system for impeaching a cabinet secretary is somehow dumb

Its all about sending a message, dontcha know?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kale posted:

No you’re right.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1753408044824764647

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1755027753995514004

JFK Jr is alive…

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

Homeland Security runs CBP and the Border Patrol. They're mainly just trying to make him a human sacrifice to their base's anger about immigration, so they can look like they're doing something but don't have to go through the trouble of coming up with actual policies themselves. The right-wing media has portrayed him as a fanatical open-borders ideologue who hates the very idea of border enforcement and is deliberately sabotaging the border agencies by abusing humanitarian exceptions and refusing to support the troops.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

You may be shocked to hear this, but it is very stupid.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-resolution/863/text

Insofar as they cite anything about anything, it's that he didn't use his discretion to detain absolutely every unauthorized immigrant until review and instead pursued legally permissible alternatives to detention.

which was admittedly a substantial and public Biden admin reform effort that I've been touting as good-if-insufficient, so of course Republicans are extremely angry

this. they are mad that he tried to use as many good/humane options as they could instead of putting turrents on the border with rotating knives. like i am sure the guy has blood on his hands and etc because DHS in general, but they are just mad that he isnt judge death.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kale posted:

No they just want two different things: to make impeachment seem like just routine partisan fighting rather than a meaningful statement, and to impeach the Democrats just because they dared to impeach their golden boy twice. And to further the narrative of "they're all bad" so people stop voting.

So yes, it's a meaningless action in terms of accomplishing the goal of getting him convicted of anything, but succeeding would have given them the headlines about a Democrat being impeached by the House which does accomplish those goals just fine. Same reason they were so desperate to impeach Biden.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

mobby_6kl posted:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/02/06/metro/fake-biden-robocall-nh-primary-texas-company-election-interference/?s_campaign=audience:reddit

Maybe I missed it but I don't think this's been posted. I wonder if this "Walter Monk" is the same person as Jacob Wohl.

No, it's someone separate. The company's in "polling" and have been cited by FTC in the past; they have a ton of proxies and are basically as scummy as you'd think. Monk is, iirc, very old and may not be the one actually managing it, but we'd need to know who their client is.

12 years a lurker
Aug 17, 2022

Kagrenak posted:

Yeah, this is basically the perfect messaging win for dems to their base. At this point the RWM has won and everyone is Very Concerned about immigration currently, only inflation seems to be more important to people. The dem base, along with "independent voters" want to see something done so the republicans killing a bill that had bipartisan support until just recently is a bad look.

Not just their base, the entire electorate except the partisans on the edges of both parties. Trump and the Republican congressmen he whipped not fixing the problem now so they can run on fixing the problem in the future look just terrible voting against a reasonable bill. Trump cannot effectively run on immigration after this with anyone paying attention, and the attack ads for people not paying attention practically write themselves.

Biden and the congressional Democrats supporting the bill on the other hand come out looking like the adults in the room with a plausible resolution to the current acute problems (edit before someone inevitable starts trying to straw-man me again, lax security + asylum claim backlog) without being excessively harsh and a willingness to do the thing that both moderates want and is simply good policy against primary risk from partisans in their own party.

12 years a lurker fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 7, 2024

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If Trump did something like this and offered something the left wants in exchange for a bunch of rightwing poo poo knowing it would never pass people would be saying he was a genius tearing the democratic party apart.

Caros
May 14, 2008

In case you are wondering what caused these neurons to fire, one of the democrats was in the hospital when this vote was scheduled, specifically because they wanted to take advantage of it.

They wheeled Al Greene into the house in a wheelchair to cast his vote. Now MTG thinks they have secret votes, because she is an idiot.

Womp Womp.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Speculation time: Trump is famously a teetotaller, so do we think AB Inbev paid him for this or what

It's because he owns $5 million in stock:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-anheuser-busch-stock-owner-wants-to-give-bud-light-another-chance

I imagine Trump has been meeting with his finance people a lot lately and they finally got through to him just how hosed he is going to be after these verdicts comes down and he eventually loses on appeal. He's scrambling to do anything he can to increase the value of any assets he owns.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They aren't even liars. They're living an emotional truth that has no necessary congruence with actual fact. Republicans are good for the economy like immigration is bad for the economy: two precepts that have been repeatedly disproved again and again for decades but that nevertheless feel true to republican voters.

They believe this stuff they way they believe Jesus loves capitalism. It has nothing to do with truth or falsehood. Completely orthogonal. Non intersecting.

I'm at work so I can't really check, but does the belief that Republicans are good for the economy hold among people who came of age since 2000? Since then every major economic hit, outside "Biden's" inflatable has come hurtling at us from a Republican President's tenure.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mobby_6kl posted:

He and Burkman have been busy accosting people is the worst To Catch a Predator ripoff ever. With the supposed predator being there to meet a 36 year old woman, and knowing that he was going to meet a 36 year old woman. No clue how they aren't in a Maryland jail for surrounding this guy with drawn pistols.

https://twitter.com/SeamusHughes/status/1754671978558996586

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

12 years a lurker posted:

Not just their base, the entire electorate except the partisans on the edges of both parties. Trump and the Republican congressmen he whipped not fixing the problem now so they can run on fixing the problem in the future look just terrible voting against a reasonable bill. Trump cannot effectively run on immigration after this with anyone paying attention, and the attack ads for people not paying attention practically write themselves.

Biden and the congressional Democrats supporting the bill on the other hand come out looking like the adults in the room with a plausible resolution to the current acute problems (edit before someone inevitable starts trying to straw-man me again, lax security + asylum claim backlog) without being excessively harsh and a willingness to do the thing that both moderates want and is simply good policy against primary risk from partisans in their own party.

Yeah, we may not like the provisions of the bill, but through either political genius or tremendous luck the Dems have ended up with a golden opportunity. Every decorum dipshit and compromise fetishist in the country is now about to see a hundred commercials that tell how the Dems worked to craft an acceptable bipartisan bill to solve the issues at the border only for the GOP to sink it at the last minute purely for the sake of Trump's political ambitions.

Anyone who looks further into it will find that the only 'falsehood' here is that it understates how the Republicans got almost everything they wanted in this bill and thrir loving around delayed movement on other extremely important matters. This is not a Dem L.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I had an acquaintance bring up "crazy down there, there's 10 thousand people arriving every day!" in passing. I didn't engage, because when people say stuff like that I assume it's like how Caravans!!! suddenly spike in news reports like clockwork before every election.

What are the real figures involved?

These CBP figures DO show a huge spike, and if that 2024 "BP Total Encounters" rate continues it does appear it would blow all past figures out of the water. Is this what people are looking at? https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/cbp-enforcement-statistics

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Bugsy posted:

He and Burkman have been busy accosting people is the worst To Catch a Predator ripoff ever. With the supposed predator being there to meet a 36 year old woman, and knowing that he was going to meet a 36 year old woman. No clue how they aren't in a Maryland jail for surrounding this guy with drawn pistols.

I know the answer is “they’re dumb” but how can you try to entrap someone in a pedo ring if all of your bait is clearly above age and seemingly the guy was told she was 36 and looked age appropriate? This is the dumbest honeypot I think I’ve ever read about.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nosre posted:

I had an acquaintance bring up "crazy down there, there's 10 thousand people arriving every day!" in passing. I didn't engage, because when people say stuff like that I assume it's like how Caravans!!! suddenly spike in news reports like clockwork before every election.

These CBP figures DO show a huge spike, and if that 2024 "BP Total Encounters" rate continues it does appear it would blow all past figures out of the water. Is this what people are looking at? https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/cbp-enforcement-statistics

Being from Texas originally I am always baffled as to what these people think the border is actually like. Eagle Pass, in the news a lot lately, has middle class white guys cheerfully golfing a few feet from razor wire every day. No cartel assaults yet.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

KKKLIP ART posted:

I know the answer is “they’re dumb” but how can you try to entrap someone in a pedo ring if all of your bait is clearly above age and seemingly the guy was told she was 36 and looked age appropriate? This is the dumbest honeypot I think I’ve ever read about.

Jacob Wohl is incredibly dumb even by the standards you habituate yourself to when discussing the far right griftosphere. No matter how dumb you think you can get, Wohl and Burkman have plumbed new depths

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

KKKLIP ART posted:

They're liars. Constant, never-ceasing liars. In everything, at all times, liars. They'd "bait the pedo" with a 36 year old woman, then release the heavily edited video never showing that woman and say he was there to gently caress a child and harvest their adrenachrome.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

So I guess the lesson I take away from this whole immigration thing is that even when the Republicans win, they still lose? Or am I deluding myself and everything is still terrible?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nosre posted:

I haven't looked lately but historically immigration basically just tracks how many jobs are available. Purely demand driven. When recessions hit immigration evaporates.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that the relative increase in salaries and dearth of low end wage employees would be driving a spike in immigration. That's not exactly a problem though if you like being able to buy produce.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 7, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nosre posted:

There really has been a large spike in arrivals at the border under Biden, to the point that the immigration bureaucracy (which was already pretty backlogged) and related systems and services have been largely overwhelmed. While views on what exactly the problem is and how to solve it tend to vary based on political perspective, the problem is real - it's not made up like the caravan stuff was.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The first phase of the new IRS enforcement project is set to begin this year.

This initial expanded phase is limited in scope while they train and set up the new auditing divisions. The individual and business audit divisions established by the IRA won't both be fully up and running until 2026.

This year, they are focusing on the top 10,000 highest-income individual taxpayers and the top 350 corporations with overdue, complicated, or unpaid taxes and expect to pull in an average of $85.1 billion in extra revenue per year over the next 10 years.

Last year, the tax gap (the gap between taxes officially owed and the amount collected) hit a record high of just over $600 billion. Based on the preliminary data, the IRS expects to capture between 20 and 25 percent of the owed and unpaid taxes this year.

They also expect to roughly triple the audit rate for individuals with income over $400,000 this year and roughly double the audit rate of corporations with at least $1 billion in revenue by next year.

Rep. Jason Smith (R-MO) says these are "pie in the sky" estimates and if they end up being accurate will actually be the result of increased enforcement on people making less than $75,000. He says the number one priority of the Ways and Mean Committee next year will be to defund the remaining $60 billion in IRS funding provided by the IRA.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1755052550858965387

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The IRS is poised to take in hundreds of billions of dollars more in overdue and unpaid taxes than previously anticipated, according to new analysis released Tuesday by the Treasury Department and the IRS.

Tax revenues are expected to rise by as much as $561 billion from 2024 to 2034, thanks to stepped-up enforcement made possible with money from the Democrats’ Inflation Reduction Act, which became law in August 2022.

The Congressional Budget Office in 2022 estimated that the tens of billions of new IRS funding provided by the IRA would increase revenues by $180.4 billion from 2022 to 2031. The IRS now says that if IRA funding is restored, renewed and diversified, estimated revenues could reach as much as $851 billion from 2024 to 2034.

Administration officials are using the report to promote President Joe Biden’s economic agenda as he campaigns for reelection — and as the IRS continually faces threats to its funding.

“This analysis demonstrates that President Biden’s investment in rebuilding the IRS will reduce the deficit by hundreds of billions of dollars by making the wealthy and big corporations pay the taxes they owe,” National Economic Adviser Lael Brainard said in a statement.

“Congressional Republicans’ efforts to cut IRS funding show that they prioritize letting the wealthiest Americans and big corporations evade their taxes over cutting the deficit,” Brainard said.

The Inflation Reduction Act gave the IRS an $80 billion infusion of funds. However, House Republicans built a $1.4 billion reduction to the IRS into the debt ceiling and budget cuts package passed by Congress last summer. A separate agreement took an additional $20 billion from the IRS over the next two years to divert to other non-defense programs.

Since then, the agency has tried to show how it is spending the money it has left, in hopes of stemming the cuts. New customer service improvements rolled out as the tax season began Jan. 29, and earlier this month the IRS announced that it had recouped half a billion dollars in back taxes from rich tax cheats.

Rep. Jason Smith, the Republican chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, said in a statement that the report “calls for even more IRS funding, uses pie-in-the-sky numbers, all without being straightforward about where the burdens of massive new enforcement efforts will fall.” He said increased funding will inevitably result in hundreds of thousands of additional audits for taxpayers making less than $75,000.

After the IRA was signed into law, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen directed IRS leadership not to increase audit rates on people making less than $400,000 a year annually.

Ensuring that people actually pay their taxes is one of the tax collection agency’s biggest challenges. The audit rate of millionaires fell by more than 70% from 2010 to 2019 and the audit rate on large corporations fell by more than 50%, Treasury’s Deputy Assistant Secretary for Tax Analysis Greg Leiserson told reporters. IRA funding “is enabling the IRS to reverse this trend,” Leiserson said.

The tax gap — which is the difference between taxes owed and taxes paid — has grown to more than $600 billion annually, according to the IRS.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Inglonias posted:

So I guess the lesson I take away from this whole immigration thing is that even when the Republicans win, they still lose? Or am I deluding myself and everything is still terrible?

its more trump and maga chuds cant accept a compromise bill even when they get alot of what they want, because the dems still look good/ok/coopoerative. the chuds want a total victory where they are the only winners. the GOP is full purity nut now which helps the dems, but passing the lovely bill would have also somewhat helped the dems.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

KKKLIP ART posted:

it does note that "sarah" has a child, so i think the thinking is that the only reason a man would want to have any kind of romantic relationship with a 36 year old single mother is because he is a pedophile and wants to commit child abuse

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Caros posted:

In case you are wondering what caused these neurons to fire, one of the democrats was in the hospital when this vote was scheduled, specifically because they wanted to take advantage of it.

They wheeled Al Greene into the house in a wheelchair to cast his vote. Now MTG thinks they have secret votes, because she is an idiot.

Womp Womp.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The head of data science and polling for Global Strategy Groups posted a long breakdown of all of their data and publicly available polling data about the 2024 election and Biden's approvals specifically.

Not too many big surprises, but some interesting notes:

- Biden has lost the largest approval rating among voters 18-29 and black voters compared to 2020.

- These are generally progressive-leaning groups, however his deterioration is almost all with 18-29 and black voters who identify as moderate. His decline among voters who identify as left of center has been much smaller.

- There is a huge variance in polling subsamples for 18-29 voters. Biden is either going to do slightly better than he did in 2020, about the same, or do 23 points worse than he did in 2020 among voters 18-29. Multiple polls they consider credible have shown all of those results.

- Trump has a similar situation with black and Hispanic voters. His numbers for them are all over the map. Trump will either do about the same as he did in 2020, slightly better than he did in 2020, or "the biggest single-election shift & the strongest performance for a GOP presidential candidate among Hispanics in 60+ years." Several polls have shown all three results.

- Biden has seen a dramatic drop in support among independents compared to 2020 and that is consistent across all major polls.

- One weird area of positive change for Biden is that he is actually slightly leading among voters 65+ and that is the one demographic he is doing noticeably better with compared to 2020.

- The two biggest policy issues hurting Biden are inflation (specifically grocery store prices) and immigration. Nothing else comes close.

- The one single personal issue that is hurting Biden the most is age.

- The two biggest issues boosting Biden are Abortion and fear of Trump/defending democracy.

- Third party candidates seem to be taking votes from Trump and Biden almost equally (with slightly more coming from Biden). This indicates that there are protest votes/people dissatisfied with both candidates.

- In a twist from historical norms, Biden does much better among likely voters than registered voters. This implies that higher turnout may actually be good for Trump and lower turnout good for Biden. This is likely the result of higher education voters (who are much more likely to vote) drifting towards Democrats over the last 10 years and white people with no degree (who are much less likely to vote) drifting towards Republicans over the last 10 years.

- RFK Jr. is still pulling low double digits in most polls. It seems incredibly unlikely he will get that much in the actual election, especially since he isn't even trying to get on the ballot in a lot of states.

- Another big uncertainty is that Biden has a huge advantage among likely voters who say they dislike both candidates. It's not clear how that will play out in the final results.

- Another huge uncertainty is how voters say they will respond if Trump is convicted of a felony. His total vote count would plummet by about 7% according to some polls.

tl;dr: Biden is objectively polling worse now than he was in 2020. However, the election results have huge potential variances from third party voters, wide ranges in demographic subsamples, and uncertain turnout models.

Which polls are more accurate at predicting 18-29, Hispanic, and black voter choices, what happens with Trump's criminal trials, if there are any big changes in opinion or salience of inflation/immigration/abortion issues before November, and how voters who claim they are voting for a third party candidate or say they dislike both candidates end up voting will determine which polls were more accurate.

Either way, a moderately big victory by either candidate is a real possibility, but a very close race is the most likely outcome (according to polling right now). There is a tremendous degree of uncertainty in the polling, though. 2020 had a significantly narrower band of potential results and fewer large outliers than 2024 - despite the ongoing pandemic. So, the numerous potential variables and sampling models among different pollsters are producing a wide range of results.

https://twitter.com/admcrlsn/status/1755239213375590454
https://twitter.com/admcrlsn/status/1755240786696814695
https://twitter.com/admcrlsn/status/1755241650643697829
https://twitter.com/admcrlsn/status/1755241804205535710

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 7, 2024

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The head of data science and polling for Global Strategy Groups posted a long breakdown of all of their data and publicly available polling data about the 2024 election and Biden's approvals specifically.

Not too many big surprises, but some interesting notes:

- There is a huge variance in polling subsamples for 18-29 voters. Biden is either going to do slightly better than he did in 2020, about the same, or do 23 points worse than he did in 2020 among voters 18-29. Multiple polls they consider credible have shown all of those results.

- Trump has a similar situation with black and Hispanic voters. His numbers for them are all over the map. Trump will either do about the same as he did in 2020, slightly better than he did in 2020, or "the biggest single-election shift & the strongest performance for a GOP presidential candidate among Hispanics in 60+ years." Several polls have shown all three results.

So this is a lot of words to say "We've looked at the numbers, and who fuckin' knows? Ask again later."

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Bugsy posted:

Brandishing isn't actually a crime in Maryland, though you could likely nail him on two party consent for recording in a non public place, likely an element of this lawsuit. He continues to be a comical crime elemental.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Inglonias posted:

So this is a lot of words to say "We've looked at the numbers, and who fuckin' knows? Ask again later."

Pretty much. There's a ton of variables and huge ranges within those variables. The only things we can say generally for certain are:

- Most Americans hate Trump and Biden.

- Americans are very mad about grocery store prices and immigration.

- There is a huge variance in how pollsters think different subsamples of Americans feel and nobody can really say why or be sure.

- Trump's legal situation and what people who claim they will vote third-party will do on election day are major unknowns that could have big impacts on the race.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IMO I think odds are higher that this is a lower turnout election than 2020 than third party candidates make a major difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

One thing that I wish we could follow up on is why 18-29 year olds and black voters who identify as moderate are turned off by Biden, but left-wing 18-29 year olds and black voters are much less so. It is always kind of assumed that the dissatisfaction was coming from the more left-wing populations of those groups.

This could be an issue of definition too.

i.e. the old problem where people with hugely extreme views, but a few of them are on the left and a few are on the right ("I want to nationalize the pharmaceutical industry and build the wall.") consider themselves moderate rather than the "traditional" idea of what a moderate is and get mixed together with other "moderates" who actually have hugely different views.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 7, 2024