Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

Is there a way to put a save point on a freighter? I've been spending more time on my freighter base rather than a planetary base, but it's kind of annoying having to wait around for a save sometimes when logging off.

I think getting in and out of one of your small ships will trigger a save. It does everywhere else at least so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
You can also just plop down one of the save point devices, unless they've changed that in the last month or so.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

litany of gulps posted:

Is there a way to put a save point on a freighter? I've been spending more time on my freighter base rather than a planetary base, but it's kind of annoying having to wait around for a save sometimes when logging off.

Apparently while the Save Beacon is not buildable in the freighter, a Save Point is

https://nomanssky.fandom.com/wiki/Save_Point

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

Apparently while the Save Beacon is not buildable in the freighter, a Save Point is

https://nomanssky.fandom.com/wiki/Save_Point

Hmm, thanks! I had never picked up that particular recipe, as I didn't see how it was any different than the beacon.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

litany of gulps posted:

Hmm, thanks! I had never picked up that particular recipe, as I didn't see how it was any different than the beacon.

Beacons leave a big star mark on their location and limit the number per planet you can drop (and also can't be dropped on freighters, as you've seen), points don't leave an indicator to mess your map up with

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone have any suggestions for getting to the center of a galaxy as fast as possible on permadeath mode?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
1. Survive long enough to get a ship with a hyperdrive

2. Jump stations until you find one with a traveller

3. Go to their grave, get the 0 glyph

4. Find a monolith, feed it a token, find a portal

5. Plug in the 0 glyph 12 times

6. You're basically at the center

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Each type of economy sells its goods high to one specific other type of economy: Power sells to Mining, Minining sells to Manufacturing, Manufacturing sells to Tech, and Tech sells to Power; then separately Science sells to Trading, Trading sells to Materials, and Materials sells to Science

Can you tell what kind of economy a system has from the star map automatically, or is there still a ship tech part you have to install to get you the readout when you're in hyperspace? (...and also I think what level of economy, poor/middling/rich, that determines how many trade goods are available to buy at once?)

Regardless it's an excellent excuse to find seven different rich systems and stick some tiny bases named I BUY MINING PARTS and MATERIALS ONLY HERE YA GOOSE in each of them to run the triangle and also quadrilateral trade.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Glazius posted:

Can you tell what kind of economy a system has from the star map automatically, or is there still a ship tech part you have to install to get you the readout when you're in hyperspace? (...and also I think what level of economy, poor/middling/rich, that determines how many trade goods are available to buy at once?)

You're after the Economy Scanner

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone ever had a base just disappear? Do they deactivate or something if they aren't used much? I had three tiny bases that were just a prefab square with some solar panels, batteries, a teleporter, and a gas harvester. My nitrogen harvesting base just vanished from the portal list for no apparent reason. I don't go to any of them, because I have tons of gas hoarded that I never use. But that one particular one just disappeared. I don't even remember where it was, so I can't go and investigate.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

Anyone ever had a base just disappear? Do they deactivate or something if they aren't used much? I had three tiny bases that were just a prefab square with some solar panels, batteries, a teleporter, and a gas harvester. My nitrogen harvesting base just vanished from the portal list for no apparent reason. I don't go to any of them, because I have tons of gas hoarded that I never use. But that one particular one just disappeared. I don't even remember where it was, so I can't go and investigate.

Did you maybe forget to upload the base to servers?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Did you maybe forget to upload the base to servers?

Shouldn't matter, bases are stored locally as (effectively) a json blob of "location and base pieces" in your local save file. The only real thing uploading to the cloud would do for you is, ostensibly, help keep the terrain edits associated with that base in place.

litany of gulps posted:

In the normal course of things, the game will not delete old bases, it'll just keep letting you build them until it gets to the point where the game will actively say "you literally cannot build anything else until you delete some other stuff", it won't delete anything itself. It sounds like a straight up bug, and if you're inclined you might be able to go digging into your save file and see if the base is still there but just minorly corrupted in some way where the game doesn't recognize it as a base anymore.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I keep logging in to build larger and larger facilities that allow me to produce more and more expensive trade goods. I don't know why. I have trillions of units. I keep converting my harvested plants and materials into fusion ignitors and stasis devices, but I don't really have any reason to. There's always some bottleneck material (currently star bulbs) that stops me from making even more, so I keep expanding my farms. When I discovered that double cultivation chambers on your freighter cost no energy and can harvest 4 plants at once, that just intensified my madness.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

litany of gulps posted:

I keep logging in to build larger and larger facilities that allow me to produce more and more expensive trade goods. I don't know why. I have trillions of units. I keep converting my harvested plants and materials into fusion ignitors and stasis devices, but I don't really have any reason to. There's always some bottleneck material (currently star bulbs) that stops me from making even more, so I keep expanding my farms. When I discovered that double cultivation chambers on your freighter cost no energy and can harvest 4 plants at once, that just intensified my madness.

NUMBER

GO

UP

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

litany of gulps posted:

here you go op. the software discussed in this video should be able to help you more efficiently plan your production process out. he gives an example of planning a toy economy with targets for iron, corn, coal, and a few other things but im sure you could input the data needed for nms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqzj5hrnDCk&t=1301s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm still playing on my permadeath file, things are going well, but I've warped well over 5 times and haven't run up against the freighter in trouble. Is there a minimum game time in that equation? Is it like 3 hours or something?

Also, what's the best way to get an S or A class freighter? Is there really a difference other than starting stats?

Also also, is it weird and cheat-y to never warp in a freighter and instead just warp with your starship? Or am I misremembering and freighter warps are significantly farther per jump?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

freighter warps can be a lot further if you get some good s-class freighter hyperdrive modules. i think my freighter can do nearly 6kly per jump.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

freighter warps can be a lot further if you get some good s-class freighter hyperdrive modules. i think my freighter can do nearly 6kly per jump.

So, assuming you can get good modules installed, you're way better off using a freighter if you were looking to make it to the center of a galaxy (and haven't found a traveler or their grave yet)?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm still playing on my permadeath file, things are going well, but I've warped well over 5 times and haven't run up against the freighter in trouble. Is there a minimum game time in that equation? Is it like 3 hours or something?

Also, what's the best way to get an S or A class freighter? Is there really a difference other than starting stats?

Also also, is it weird and cheat-y to never warp in a freighter and instead just warp with your starship? Or am I misremembering and freighter warps are significantly farther per jump?

the best way to get an S-class freighter is to get a system freighter, which spawn every time you warp within a system, instead of a capital freighter, which only spawn every 5 system warps/3 hours. they also look cooler.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

So, assuming you can get good modules installed, you're way better off using a freighter if you were looking to make it to the center of a galaxy (and haven't found a traveler or their grave yet)?

yes, it's how i slowboated my way to the center of a galaxy before switching to the black hole method that keeps you right near the galactic center for each new galaxy you jump to.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yes, it's how i slowboated my way to the center of a galaxy before switching to the black hole method that keeps you right near the galactic center for each new galaxy you jump to.

Wait, what's the black hole method? I've been through a black hole already.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

If you go through a black hole, the next nearest black hole will send you closer to the center of the galaxy, so you can follow black holes like a path.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

once you are at the center of a galaxy, find a black hole and jump through it. then, without closing the game, jump to center and into the next galaxy and you will be at the center of the new galaxy, and from that point on you can keep jumping into the center of galaxy after galaxy as long as you don't close the game and you'll be in the center of the new galaxy every time. i did it up to galaxy 29 before and will resume the journey till i get to isgarmeso (galaxy 143) next time i feel like playing.

e:thinking on it, you may need to find a black hole in each new galaxy? it's been a few months, can't remember the exact steps, but either way it's very fast.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 7, 2024

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In addition to the time factor, and I can't prove this is the case, but anecdotally I feel like having the settlement-unlock mission at the stage of "have gotten the initial distress call, and have done sweet gently caress-all else to follow up on it", will just passively block the freighter-rescue mission from happening until you move the settlement mission to a later step.

Or maybe I've just had abysmal or coincidental luck. But I do know that as soon as I knocked that out of the way, first warp afterwards and the game was "why yes, you qualify, have a freighter-rescue now" even though it had been many hours and many warps since the last one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vil posted:

In addition to the time factor, and I can't prove this is the case, but anecdotally I feel like having the settlement-unlock mission at the stage of "have gotten the initial distress call, and have done sweet gently caress-all else to follow up on it", will just passively block the freighter-rescue mission from happening until you move the settlement mission to a later step.

Or maybe I've just had abysmal or coincidental luck. But I do know that as soon as I knocked that out of the way, first warp afterwards and the game was "why yes, you qualify, have a freighter-rescue now" even though it had been many hours and many warps since the last one.

I'm not bothering with settlements until after I get my achievement. Having to do sentinel cleanup without being able to die at all? No thanks.

Now, to be clear I've never died to a sentinel invasion of a settlement but this would be the time that would happen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Uh, no. I mean, you can do so if you think it's fun, I'm not judging. But your time would be better spent just doing the quest once to unlock portals. I never bothered with upgrading my freighter's hyperdrive, since nothing beats ye olden 900k light-year power walk

I mean, if I actually found a freighter hyperdrive module, I of course would install it, but it seems the game detects my cheeky freighter avoidance, and oblidges me by not giving me poo poo. :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

once you are at the center of a galaxy, find a black hole and jump through it. then, without closing the game, jump to center and into the next galaxy and you will be at the center of the new galaxy, and from that point on you can keep jumping into the center of galaxy after galaxy as long as you don't close the game and you'll be in the center of the new galaxy every time. i did it up to galaxy 29 before and will resume the journey till i get to isgarmeso (galaxy 143) next time i feel like playing.

e:thinking on it, you may need to find a black hole in each new galaxy? it's been a few months, can't remember the exact steps, but either way it's very fast.

If you want to go even faster (I mean, also use portals, they're on literally any planet and can be found faster than black holes), take a look at the community player bases you can teleport to. Sometimes, you get places far away down the line, and if you find, say, one that is in galaxy 69, you can just leave that base the normal way, call your ship, and continue from there.

Hell, if you're really lucky, you might find someone who already built something in galaxy 143 and shortcut your entire journey. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 7, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I see little need to go beyond Isdoraijung. It's a lush galaxy, and just like all the others, it's massive. And isn't Euclid still only like 0.1% discovered, maybe not even that much?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 7, 2024

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I see little need to go beyond Isdoraijung. It's a lush galaxy, and just like all the others, it's massive. And isn't Euclid still only like 0.1% discovered, maybe not even that much?

With quadrillions of stars, no wonder. That's a number even our universe IRL has problems with. We'd need an entire loving space empire worth of humans, playing NMS constantly, over centuries, to even start making a dent into those galaxies.

Myself, I'm aiming for a high-numbered silent galaxy, because I like dead planets and the weird poo poo silent galaxies can generate in higher amounts. I like my space to be calm and relaxing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Libluini posted:

Uh, no. I mean, you can do so if you think it's fun, I'm not judging. But your time would be better spent just doing the quest once to unlock portals. I never bothered with upgrading my freighter's hyperdrive, since nothing beats ye olden 900k light-year power walk

I mean, if I actually found a freighter hyperdrive module, I of course would install it, but it seems the game detects my cheeky freighter avoidance, and oblidges me by not giving me poo poo. :v:

If you want to go even faster (I mean, also use portals, they're on literally any planet and can be found faster than black holes), take a look at the community player bases you can teleport to. Sometimes, you get places far away down the line, and if you find, say, one that is in galaxy 69, you can just leave that base the normal way, call your ship, and continue from there.

Hell, if you're really lucky, you might find someone who already built something in galaxy 143 and shortcut your entire journey. :v:

i'm kinda making my own quick travel system by plopping bases in each galaxy, it's a big part of why i only made it to the 29th when i was galaxy hopping before, otherwise i'd just find a base in 143 that way.

the only pain is that each galaxy jump damages all your poo poo. i solved it by grabbing a junker ship and taking out all my suit and multitool modules before i set out and left all the modules packaged the whole time (i went fron galaxy 12 to 29 in one session over two days), but as i am on permadeath it made me feel very vulnerable as i set up each little base.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm kinda making my own quick travel system by plopping bases in each galaxy, it's a big part of why i only made it to the 29th when i was galaxy hopping before, otherwise i'd just find a base in 143 that way.

the only pain is that each galaxy jump damages all your poo poo. i solved it by grabbing a junker ship and taking out all my suit and multitool modules before i set out and left all the modules packaged the whole time (i went fron galaxy 12 to 29 in one session over two days), but as i am on permadeath it made me feel very vulnerable as i set up each little base.

To make things easier for you: You can also take a junker multitool, and change back after each galaxy jump.

Until I switched to the PS5-version and did a fresh re-start, the only thing I had left to do was still regretting my life choices, because my near-maxed out suit inventory carried quintillions of upgrades with it. And until the final change before I restarted, that meant doing lots of repairs, not just putting the things into storage. :shepface:

My plan for this new save is to make sure I only put stuff I actually need into my suit, instead of mindlessly cramming in every tech I learn plus as many upgrade modules as I'm allowed to add.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Libluini posted:

freighter modules exclusively drop off those derelict freighters you have to buy a detector for. they're kind of annoying to farm but very nice.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

core jumping will only damage your currently active multitool, so you don't have to take out the mods, just use a junker mt and swap back when you land in the new galaxy. you should be able to swap to your mt, summon your freighter and then your exocraft so you can be off to find the next portal in a minute after landing. I didn't know that the first time I core jumped into a harsh galaxy on my pd save and it was uhh, closer than I would have liked. goonspeed on your journey.

also, simply not repairing suit mods saves a lot of time.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i haaaaaaaate having more than one multitool. i did think about grabbing a junker but ugh, not until they let you ditch a multitool so you only have one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i haaaaaaaate having more than one multitool. i did think about grabbing a junker but ugh, not until they let you ditch a multitool so you only have one.

Huh. That's a weird thing, but OK. I always end up carrying the absolute maximum amount of multitools allowed, and own the absolute maximum of ships allowed. If the game allowed me more than one freighter, I'd have more than one of them, too.

I guess for me, it's part of the same psychological need that made me built giant factories to supply me with the stuff I need to build even more giant factories: I'm a video game hoarder.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I just use the Multitool that fits my aesthetic. if I need to upgrade it to not suck, then so be it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My primary multitool is basically one of those that look like giant bazookas, because Hello Games apparently thinks giant death-dealing cannons are what science is all about. (They have bonuses for scanning.)

Eventually I want to get a royal one just for shits and giggles, but then I still have four slots free, and here I cram any old trash in, as long as it looks good. But their only real use is galaxy jumps.

I like having 1-2 multitools that are sensible, and then 1-2 for wild experiments (like, one tool is maybe only an assault rifle with tons of kinetic upgrades and only barely able to mine and scan, another one is all about grenades, etc.), with the last slots being reserved for trashy pistols and the like.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
They just uploaded a new experimental branch update that lets you start expeditions from the Anomaly on a current save. It includes one of the upcoming expeditions. It doesn't look like everything carries over, but it's significant.

Goddamn

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

drat .. might have to come back for that.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Doing it now. it's pretty easy so far and there will be a ship reward, but I don't know what it looks like.

You select items to move over to the Expedition, and then you have to reach the Anomaly there to get them in the new save. Thankfully, it's like the fourth step of the expedition so it doesn't take more than maybe half an hour to get to that.

So far pretty easy expedition, but fun. very streamlined and most phases have an optional milestone. Other easy ones include "Photograph 3 different environments," "Shoot asteroids," and "Dig up 3 items." Seems to be highly focused on the Atlas, memories, and Wonder Items, but I'm not far enough in to know the context.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just use the Multitool that fits my aesthetic. if I need to upgrade it to not suck, then so be it.

This is basically how to treat your multitool and starship.

Goddamn I'd kill for starship customization. I'm taunted at every space station if I go to the ship interface to upgrade or scrap; they show a hologram of yours and pull its pieces apart.

The general technology/algorithm/code exists, goddammit! :argh:

I'd be totally fine if it was a top-tier freighter upgrade or something. Then once you have it there, you could also install one on your terrestrial base.

I wanna put decals on my dang ship, and find weird parts to mix and match, building some spacefaring monstrosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I wanna put decals on my dang ship, and find weird parts to mix and match, building some spacefaring monstrosity.

:hmmyes:

give me a Starship Build Room and let me break ships down into components.