Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

World of Warcraft is the most effective form of birth control and almost certainly responsible for the massive decline in teen pregnancies starting in the early 2000's.

According to the DSM, an addiction has to actually have a negative impact on your life to be considered an addiction. Technically, World of Warcraft is a medical contraceptive device.

What about joint and back injuries, obesity risk, destroying kidneys with energy drinks and mt. dew

You're not getting away with it this time, big MMO :argh:

(I have never played an MMO :ohdear:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rappaport posted:

What about joint and back injuries, obesity risk, destroying kidneys with energy drinks and mt. dew

You're not getting away with it this time, big MMO :argh:

(I have never played an MMO :ohdear:)

There's always side effects.

One day, we will invent an MMO pure enough to protect virginity and your wrists, but until that day comes we have to use the best science has available.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

There's always side effects.

One day, we will invent an MMO pure enough to protect virginity and your wrists, but until that day comes we have to use the best science has available.

Any MMO that protects one's virginity will absolutely destroy one's wrists, there's no way to save both.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

World of Warcraft is the most effective form of birth control and almost certainly responsible for the massive decline in teen pregnancies starting in the early 2000's.

According to the DSM, an addiction has to actually have a negative impact on your life to be considered an addiction. Technically, World of Warcraft is a medical contraceptive device.

Not sure about negative impacts but at the least grinding is qualitatively a better experience than grinding. The subscription is definitely cheaper than child care though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

poo poo how many of us lost a few years to mmo's much less actual addictions

Too many. gently caress you, UUNet and your lovely packet loss.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I know you're doing a piss take, but one of the big driving factors in me dropping out of college was being in too deep on Wrath of the Lich King. Doubly so when I was a raid leader and spending basically every free moment I had farming consumables, learning strats, interviewing and acclimating raid newbies and applicants, ect. All the dopamine of the numbers go up addiction saddled with the workload and stress of a middle management job.

I fully think it qualifies as an addiction especially seeing first hand how people ruined their lives because of it in various amounts of being fired / divorced / dropped out our some combination thereof.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I had the opposite experience with fentanyl for surgery. Going under felt so good, physically and even emotionally, that I absolutely saw the appeal. (My next thought was that I’d better stay away from anything like that or risk wrecking my life.)

Big same for when I was prescribed a painkiller (oxycontin?) after a minor operation. Worked great at numbing pain and almost felt like napping awake when I used it, very serene. They'd approved a month's supply, but I quit it as soon as the pain was gone because "stillness on demand" like that seemed profoundly habit-forming.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I know Donald’s a teetotaler but he’s sure as poo poo on some drug cocktail that’s not what a doctor would prescribe a normal fat grandpa

my guess:

mixed amphetamine salts, long term habit, at least sometimes but possibly chronically powdered and snorted, especially when he needs a rull pick me up

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We had a serious discussion with my wife about addiction when COVID happened initially. My wife was a federal employee and she was told to stay home. With full pay of course. This was when we were stationed in Italy.

Every single weekday my wife would wake up, go have breakfast and espresso (with social distancing) at the nearby restaurant, walk to the grocery to get a small wine, walk home and play Elder Scrolls Online for literally 8 hours straight until I got home.

Every loving day. For months. We talked about if it is addiction since she became almost settled into it, and eventually ended up reading about it and deciding that it wasn’t really addiction since it was without apparent downsides. She wasn’t really drunk, nor eating unhealthily. She just loving played an MMO like it was her job.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The good news, your wife is not cheating on you. The bad news, she is instead a huge nerd who plays MMOs all day

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
She is possibly having an emotional affair with literal sexgod Vivec.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

The good news, your wife is not cheating on you. The bad news, she is instead a huge nerd who plays MMOs all day

Oh you have not heard the many stories of people cheating with people they met in MMO guilds.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Phlegmish posted:

Also, having been actual witness to it in my old guilds back in the day: Your wife is a huge nerd who is cheating on you with another huge nerd.

In my 10+ years of playing wow and Everquest before that, I was first hand witness to about a dozen such instances. Nerds are just as insane and horny as everyone else.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 1, 2024

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

socialsecurity posted:

Oh you have not heard the many stories of people cheating with people they met in MMO guilds.

That's the WoW model. In FFXIV, the player is gradually invited to join various somewhat-overlapping polycules. It's a different vibe.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pour one out for the goon who brought his laptop to the hospital and raided while his kid was born

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

Also, been actual witness to it in my old guilds back in the day: Your wife is a huge nerd who is cheating on you with another huge nerd.

In my 10+ years of playing wow and everywhere before then, I was first hand witness to about a dozen such instances. Nerds are just as insane and horny as everyone else.

I went to school with a guy whose mom left their family to run away with someone she met on the MyCoke online game from the early 2000s.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pour one out for the goon who brought his laptop to the hospital and raided while his kid was born

In case anyone wants to read this one. Though admittedly, it speaks poorly to its use as a contraceptive:

Goldmined mod report: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611265
Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610831&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

quote:

Queen Elizatits posted:
Oh you loving piece of poo poo Wojtek how dare you. Come in here whining for sympathy why don't you tell people the real reason you don't have any time?

For anyone who feels sorry for this rear end in a top hat he plays WoW a good 7-10 hours a day everyday. When his first kid was born, like literally crowning out of his wife's vagina, he had his laptop in the hospital and started bitching about the latency and got kicked from the raid because the raid leader couldn't believe he was missing his kid's birth. Not a single word of that is an exaggeration.

He used to play mainly with Goon Squad but he just server transferred because we weren't serious enough. How often do you actually raid a night now Woj, four hours I think you said?

gently caress you. Those poor poor dogs. You are a terrible person and you should feel bad. And you should feel bad for neglecting your kids too but I'm sure you don't.

I worked for an animal shelter for 10 years and people like you make me sick to my stomach.

I hope every time you find a toy they left behind or a stray dog hair you remember you had two animals that loved you unconditionally and you were their world. And you gave that up for purple pixels in a video game. And I hope you understand that it is incredibly traumatic for dogs to be rehomed no matter how great the rescue is and all they know now is they are sad and afraid and they want you to come get them.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

To be fair there are usually long periods of boredom+pain during labour where the partner may or may not be even wanted in the room. If the patient is happy with the partner on the other side of the room playing WoW then so be it.

Edit - ok, while the head is crowning might be a sign of addiction

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Artificial Kid posted:

To be fair there are usually long periods of boredom+pain during labour where the partner may or may not be even wanted in the room. If the patient is happy with the partner on the other side of the room playing WoW then so be it.

Edit - ok, while the head is crowning might be a sign of addiction

It's the same guy who ditched his two dogs because he didn't want to waste raid time on taking them for walks and stuff, and tried to mask it as a mournful but necessary surrender of pets for some other reason.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

At one of my jobs I would shuttle these management type guys around and one of them asked me if i played online games and i said yeah but i try to keep it light because it'll suck you in and erase whole months from your life and he said he had a son who shortly after moving out to college had to get put in an extended addiction rehabilitation program for world of warcraft, and some of it was inpatient hold of some kind because it was really dire

he said it was really hard to talk about with people because nearly nobody he talked to would really believe it was an addiction. like he'd talk to people at work or church about it and they'd just be like "just get him off the computer" and "it's not an addiction you just turn it off lol" and it had obviously taken years off his life having to deal with this just a bit too early for most of the world to have caught up to how, like gambling, this really was rewards pathway flooding addiction juice and it'll get you good

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Addiction in a highly capitalist society just seems like an inherently bad idea. This extend to chemical, behavioral, sugar, caffeine. I don't know the answer but we need a way out of addiction that is just a way as the way in.

Yes I'm drinking while I write this but

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

StumblyWumbly posted:

Addiction in a highly capitalist society just seems like an inherently bad idea. This extend to chemical, behavioral, sugar, caffeine. I don't know the answer but we need a way out of addiction that is just a way as the way in.

Yes I'm drinking while I write this but

My friend have you heard about all the weight loss drugs over the past year that will also supposed to reduce addictive behavior

capitalism is the problem and will sell you the cure

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

GoutPatrol posted:

My friend have you heard about all the weight loss drugs over the past year that will also supposed to reduce addictive behavior

capitalism is the problem and will sell you the cure

I do not know what you are referring to. Are you talking about Ozempic? There's been like one study and some anecdotes. This is not a meaningful slam on capitalism.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Some things, such as addiction, are bad for reasons besides capitalism hth

Example: almost every man here old enough to remember the USSR is a drunk

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

More likely "is on blood pressure medication".

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't mean to say it's only a capitalist problem. But around here the point of business is to sell as much as possible, so if they have the option of making something addictive why would they not?
Selling addiction avoidance or recovery will not be as profitable, for many reasons.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Discendo Vox posted:

I do not know what you are referring to. Are you talking about Ozempic? There's been like one study and some anecdotes. This is not a meaningful slam on capitalism.

it is anecdotal but I trust my brother and wife

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rust Martialis posted:

More likely "is on blood pressure medication".

Ya'll fuckers need to take better care of yourselves. :ohdear:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Ya'll fuckers need to take better care of yourselves. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_1xZVNZMJE

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Haley lost the Nevada Primary to "None of the above?"

I guess that's a wrap then?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I wouldn't read too much into it, Nevada is all hosed up this year

STAC Goat posted:

Nevada switched from a caucus to primary but the GOP got mad and somehow that ended up with them running a primary AND caucus but candidates can only compete in one of them. And Haley picked the primary even though the delegates are determined by the caucus. Presumably her strategy is that it will all be such a confusing mess that a primary win for her will be worth more than being beat by Trump in the caucus. But it’s all very dumb.

Although losing to "none of the above" is quite the PR gift to the Trump campaign

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What the hell is going on in the US this year, their primary thing is even more chaotic than usual

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would guess those were basically default Trump voters. But yeah that couldn’t have gone much worse for Haley.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Phlegmish posted:

What the hell is going on in the US this year, their primary thing is even more chaotic than usual
The Democrats are trying to work out some of the inequities in the primary system, but they're also doing it during a cycle when they have an incumbent, which is always a little weird.

The Republicans are mostly just coming to grips with their voters saying "we have an incumbent this year" when the non-Trump candidates were desperately trying to say "nuh uh" sometimes without being too mean to Trump. And also they are trying to fix some other issues with the primary system but being "conservative" they also don't want to change anything.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Phlegmish posted:

It turns out that when you make state legislatures and state constitutions the vehicle for establishing primaries, it becomes hard to change how those things happen, and even more hard to change when those state legislatures become partisan and dysfunctional. So when the parties differ on when and how they want to do things, everything gets all hosed up.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

daslog posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It's been over the whole time though really because Republicans have been voting for Trump while crossover Democrats and "moderate" Republicans (which don't exist outside of the media) are the only ones who want Haley. Pretty embarrassing to lose to "None of the above" though, especially because the Haley campaign went with the primary in Nevada for the media win at the expense of delegates.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I don't know what's the better thread title:

2024 GOP Primary: Nikki Haley Humiliation Station

2024 GOP Primary: None of the Above

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

C. Everett Koop posted:

I don't know what's the better thread title:

2024 GOP Primary: Nikki Haley Humiliation Station

2024 GOP Primary: None of the Above

None of the above. Unless Trump dies.

Caros
May 14, 2008

daslog posted:

Nikki Haley went to the Oracle of Delphi and asked "If I run for President, who can defeat me?" and the Oracle responded "if you run for President, None of These Candidates will defeat you."

Caros fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, 7000 people bothered to vote in the Nevada Democratic primary but picked “None of these candidates”.