Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

"people that liked the show until it got markedly worse are being heard from and I implore you to nullify their voices"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

RIght? It's not lazy show running, its just lovely take on ai.

I mean, "one of the characters used generative AI as a form of art therapy to cope with their isolation" isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, but there's nothing in the show that communicates that idea to the audience. It just looks like a mistake.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

NoiseAnnoys posted:

the only non-bad take on ai is "ai sucks".
‎ /

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I voted :five:

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Argyle posted:

I mean, "one of the characters used generative AI as a form of art therapy to cope with their isolation" isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, but there's nothing in the show that communicates that idea to the audience. It just looks like a mistake.

But it wasn't a mistake, they were "feeling not kind toward ai". The entire show is going to be full of stuff like that while we as the audience are supposed to be attentive to details that may make sense later on.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

On the one hand, this *is* something that guys with 4chan-brain and its analogues do all the time. On the other hand, this particular show is just … not very good. (But I guess in contrast to the “bros”, I think it’s bad in spite of being woman-led and feminist- and anti-racism themed, not because of those things.)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Chicken Butt posted:

On the one hand, this *is* something that guys with 4chan-brain and its analogues do all the time. On the other hand, this particular show is just … not very good. (But I guess in contrast to the “bros”, I think it’s bad in spite of being woman-led and feminist- and anti-racism themed, not because of those things.)

As of that tweet, S4 had a higher audience score than any season outside of the first one.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

tbf s2 was bad enough that i didnt even bother watching s3

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

season is bad

some kid made bad content and posted it, big woop im doing that now

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Worf posted:

tbf s2 was bad enough that i didnt even bother watching s3

S3 is good though

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
This reviewer pretty much sums up what’s wrong with this show, and I’m glad I stopped watching: https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2024/02/04/true-detective-night-country-episode-4-review---the-crushing-disappointment-continues/amp/

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lol. I haven’t watched past ep 2 yet but I read this anyway and lol

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Eventhough I think this season is rather underwhelming half of the points in the article are a bit petty and not bothering me at all. The criticism of the situation with Pete and Hank's bride not showing up doesn't make sense at all. Dude's in denial, his son is clearly aware of that.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I think one can sum up the implausibilities of this season with “the entire staff of a reclusive arctic research facility mysteriously turns into a naked corpseberg, completely failing to trigger the interest of much of anyone, including the FBI, the national media, and online conspiracy theorists.”

“Oh, and also one of the naked corpsesicles miraculously survived in defiance of all that is known about human physiology, and started bellowing horrifically when semi-defrosted.”

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm in the middle of eppie 3 still but I'm sure that review is totally bogus. Probably paid off by Nick Pizza

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Murderers and dads beware, Jodie Foster is on the case

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Pajser posted:

this show is better than a goose, imho

gooses are def more annoying

:honk:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Season 2 couldve been the best one if they just fully embraced the bleak cartoon camp of "this group of sad, drunk, horny lunatics were accidentally given weapons and badges by society, and are now being tasked with doing the very basic duties and functions of their jobs. in the end, they somehow succeed, despite every effort made at self sabotage"

theres a few brief moments that are like this

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Summary of detective work on a show about detectives:
- finding a rock
- watching videos on your phone while hammered
- losing the rock you just found

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Watched ep 3 last night and lol’d at the METH in the Evidence Room.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Argyle posted:

Summary of detective work on a show about detectives:
- finding a rock
- watching videos on your phone while hammered
- losing the rock you just found

for those about 2 rock

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

They should call the coast guard unit that found the sisters body in the dead of night in the water within hours of her secret suicide to consult on this case.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

lol this show is loving bad. it feels like they just tried to (poorly) recreate the vibes of season 1 without any understanding of what made it work

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Saganlives posted:

lol this show is loving bad. it feels like they just tried to (poorly) recreate the vibes of season 1 without any understanding of what made it work

ok bro :jerkbag:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

he's right and your slavish devotion to this crap is really weird

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

Agreed, and I say this as someone who still had high hopes at the end of episode two. Just complete trash. The mystery was so interesting, and they just had zero follow-through on solving it. How do you make the unravelling of scientist dying like that boring.
Well let S4 show you how, and it's by having a ton of subplots of the towns people where none of plots are realistic or interesting besides the catfished guy. Oh, and the subplots are like 80% of each episode.

Shame on you season 4.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I'm hooked. And ready for the next one!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

titty_baby_ posted:

I'm hooked. And ready for the next one!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Oldstench posted:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
A better season of True Detective is this show I think its on Paramount+ is called The Woman in the Wall and it's about the laundries in Ireland and there's detectives in it and the dialogue doesn't sound like it was written by a chatbot on inhalants. Nor does it appear like everyone in the show is physically embarrassed to be in it. The director doesn't need to explain why actually it's not a piece of poo poo on twitter. Unfortunately, the theme song is not "DUH!" by Billie Eilish so it might not be your cup of tea.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

kntfkr posted:

A better season of True Detective is this show I think its on Paramount+ is called The Woman in the Wall and it's about the laundries in Ireland and there's detectives in it and the dialogue doesn't sound like it was written by a chatbot on inhalants. Nor does it appear like everyone in the show is physically embarrassed to be in it. The director doesn't need to explain why actually it's not a piece of poo poo on twitter. Unfortunately, the theme song is not "DUH!" by Billie Eilish so it might not be your cup of tea.

thanks for the tip, im gonna check it out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Monstaland posted:

Eventhough I think this season is rather underwhelming half of the points in the article are a bit petty and not bothering me at all. The criticism of the situation with Pete and Hank's bride not showing up doesn't make sense at all. Dude's in denial, his son is clearly aware of that.

Also the article just kind of lies about the sequence of events. The criticisms aren't wrong, it's just weird they did that. Navarro meeting her sister at the ship happened in an earlier episode IIRC. The sequence that led to her going to the lighthouse was her stripping in the middle of the street and being found by Danvers.

kntfkr posted:

One of the best things about this season is how many good show recommendations have come up from discussion around it, also it's finally gotten me to watch Fargo which is fantastic.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

Also the article just kind of lies about the sequence of events. The criticisms aren't wrong, it's just weird they did that. Navarro meeting her sister at the ship happened in an earlier episode IIRC. The sequence that led to her going to the lighthouse was her stripping in the middle of the street and being found by Danvers.

One of the best things about this season is how many good show recommendations have come up from discussion around it, also it's finally gotten me to watch Fargo which is fantastic.

Hell yeah man. Fargo is my favorite drama show of all time. They really nail the dark comedy of the movie every season.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Saganlives posted:

To be fair I don’t even think Pizzolatto knew what made it work

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ooo Tokyo Vice season 2 dropped, lets see...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Chrs posted:

To be fair I don’t even think Pizzolatto knew what made it work

it was basically just the cast so lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It wasn't just the cast. Cary Fukunaga directed it. The music was really good. It was well-written. And yes great cast.

Lightning in a bottle. Impossible to follow up. I knew 2 wouldn't be that good as soon as I heard Fukunaga wasn't attached.

None of this excuses HBOMAX from recruiting Poochie the Talking Dog to write and direct and twitter defend True Detective Season 4.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I've only been negative in this thread, so I wanna throw a recommendation out there in this spirit. I just finished rewatching Zero Zero Zero with my dad, and goddamn what a show. Everything that this season of TD lacks, Z^3 has in spades. It's well written, well shot, well acted and (imo) masterfully crafted.

It's about a shipment of cocaine from Mexico to Italy, from the perspectives of the cartel, the shippers, and the Italian mob. Single season series of 8 fantastic episodes. I emphatically recommend it. Just be aware that it has a lot of subtitles, as Italian and Spanish are both heavily featured. (I know that can be a turn off for some)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HoRfUKcvdY

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I just started watching this, as in ten minutes into episode one, and it's funny how they hosed up how their whole setting works. "It's the third day of dark and already things are getting weird." Having been born very close to the polar circle and having spent a lot of time up there, yeah that's not how people think about it. It's not an on-off switch - the sun is never above the horizon, but can be very near it. You have no idea when the official darkness begins or ends, it's just several months of never really having a sunny day and most of the day is darkness. You do notice over weeks that the days are getting actually brighter and brighter, and then one cloudless morning there's sunlight through your bedroom window, and that's the mental end of the darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
Having the young kid cop say "welcome to Night Country, bitch" before [spoiled]blasting the ice demon with a pump action[/spoiler] was NOT a direction I expected this season to take, but I'm strapped in and here for it :stare: