Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Waffle House posted:

That's uhhhhh a lot of people, potentially, the GOP really loves doing some crime. Matt Gaetz seems like he's super hosed.

I could be wrong but it seems like there's a logjam of legal cases involving the GOP's sitting elected officials who are not in jail because of an imaginary rule that says you can't indict a sitting representative, and once that logjam finally breaks (READ: once we vote out a good deal of Republicans and give Dems the majority in the House and Senate) we should see a good pushback on the walls of reality that have been closing in on us.

Republicans abuse the hell out of this imaginary rule, Democrats follow decorum and "allow" themselves to be prosecuted (cooperate with the Party) because all elected officials are supposed to represent the Rule of Law, not be the abusers of it.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

rotinaj posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4451721-new-hampshire-ag-says-fake-biden-robocall-before-election-traced-to-texas-firm/

Why would the former chair of the Democratic state committee be behind those robocalls? Weird story so far.

The story is badly worded--what it means is that Kathy Sullivan was shown as the source of the calls in the calls themselves, not that she was the real source:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/fake-joe-biden-robocall-tells-new-hampshire-democrats-not-vote-tuesday-rcna134984

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

E;fb ^^^

rotinaj posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4451721-new-hampshire-ag-says-fake-biden-robocall-before-election-traced-to-texas-firm/

Why would the former chair of the Democratic state committee be behind those robocalls? Weird story so far.

HappyHippo posted:

The whole thing is a slap-fight between the state-level dems and the national level dems iirc.

National level dems want to change around the primary order to put more relevant states first. State level dems want NH to remain the first primary state because of course every state wants to go first.

Edit: oh, reading in more depth, she was also responsible for the write-in campaign? That is odd then.

Personally I think the best system is to go in the order of how close the vote was in the last presidential election, placing swing states earliest in the primary, but of course that will never happen.

I think the way it's written in the article is just confusing, the way I parse it is that they are saying the spoofed source of the calls was from the party chair- i.e. the Texas culprits used her # on caller ID when the calls were made.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I said come in! posted:

I had read that up until Ronald Regan, the Republican party was a lot more chill and reasonable than it is after Regan. But I don't know how true that really is? But like ever since Regan especially, the party has gotten more and more unhinged.

This reminded me of a Reddit post about current "reactionary" politics that kind of sums things up pretty well with the current crop of incompetent clowns

https://old.reddit.com/r/WhitePeopleTwitter/comments/17w0z8k/unbelievable/k9flzrd/?context=3

quote:

MTG is a perfect example of what is profoundly dangerous about the current crop of young-to-middle-aged Republican candidates. They think the wrestling is real. Allow me to explain.

The primary issue isn't that she's stupid (she is) or that she's a dangerous reactionary far-right candidate (she is also that).

The primary issue is, shocking as it is that something could be worse, that she has no idea how to lead or behave as a political representative because she grew up on reactionary shock politics.

If you wind the clock back 30 years, conservatives were still blowhard jackasses. No doubt about it. But almost all of the behavior was theatrics. Decades ago most Republicans and Democrats got along fairly well on the ol' Hill. You'd go in, you'd do your jumps off the top rope, you'd put on a show, and you'd all gently caress off to the same bars and mixers and shoot the poo poo.

But somehow a generation of glue-sniffers grew up watching the WWF theatrics that were American politics and believed the wrestling was real.

We have a generation of conservative politicians in the system (and more coming) that have literally no idea how to lead or govern at all because they learned everything they know not from actually participating in the production of the show but but watching it at home and thinking the show was reality.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Maybe one of the better law-knowers here can explain to me why this isn't all implicitly covered by the first trials' appeal.

I figure that if that gets overturned, then the second trial should tag along with it since it's a recidivism thing. Posting the $83M bond and appealing again doesn't seem like a productive thing to do at all in that context. What am I missing here?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Aramis posted:

Maybe one of the better law-knowers here can explain to me why this isn't all implicitly covered by the first trials' appeal.

I figure that if that gets overturned, then the second trial should tag along with it since it's a recidivism thing. Posting the $83M bond and appealing again doesn't seem like a productive thing to do at all in that context. What am I missing here?

Trump does not have the money otherwise he would double down like he does, always.

ALWAYS.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Little bitch

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah the article sucks. The calls were made to look like they were coming from the former chair when they were in fact coming from Texas. The write-in person was not in charge of the company in Texas.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

it's beautiful

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Sir John Falstaff posted:

The story is badly worded--what it means is that Kathy Sullivan was shown as the source of the calls in the calls themselves, not that she was the real source:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/fake-joe-biden-robocall-tells-new-hampshire-democrats-not-vote-tuesday-rcna134984

Which I'm pretty sure is a crime by itself.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Goodnight MAGAMANIACS and jabronie marks without a life that don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot,marks

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Aramis posted:

I know Ken White isn't well liked here, but he was musing in his podcast that the judge has the option of reducing the judgement if he feels it's excessive. If he were to take this step, Ken was saying that the judgement would be more bullet-proof on appeal, since it would be seen as a judicial review of the jury's recommended penalty.

Maybe he'll reduce it to $75M or something, which would still be a LOL.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:lmao: that just a few days ago this moron and his Daily Wire buddies were like “We need to be more normal. This Taylor Swift feud is killing us. Just be normal. We can do it, guys, we just have to make a really conscious decision to be normal.”

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Lmao

Trump likes guzzling foul yellow fluids so be quiet and consume your B'Light.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah walsh is a true believer nut job. trump just wants big corpo to love him. walsh wants everyone to say the weird reactionary poo poo he spews.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Speedboat Jones posted:

:lmao: that just a few days ago this moron and his Daily Wire buddies were like “We need to be more normal. This Taylor Swift feud is killing us. Just be normal. We can do it, guys, we just have to make a really conscious decision to be normal.”

i mean they were screaming about hazbin hotel a couple days ago and talking about how everyone should just watch south park instead or whatever.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

like yes, 100% she doesn't know how to pronounce that word and once she was called out for it she just used the stupid facist tactic where she is going, "hurr i don't have to follow the rules"

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean they were screaming about hazbin hotel a couple days ago and talking about how everyone should just watch south park instead or whatever.

They just radiate “Political uncle at a wedding popping off about trans women in sports while everyone is just trying to have a good time and be happy for the couple” energy don’t they

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This reminded me of a Reddit post about current "reactionary" politics that kind of sums things up pretty well with the current crop of incompetent clowns

https://old.reddit.com/r/WhitePeopleTwitter/comments/17w0z8k/unbelievable/k9flzrd/?context=3

I'd argue the opposite problem. Democrats still don't believe the wrestling is real, and it's been real for years. Decades to some extent.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Uh, so, Lauren... does that mean we can put a lien on our rights?

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Watch out, bull! She’s gonna turn you into diarrhea sliders!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'd argue the opposite problem. Democrats still don't believe the wrestling is real, and it's been real for years. Decades to some extent.
I think this has changed but it’s less blatant than the gop fuckup parade

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

hehehehehe

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean just to put a bow on this

Disco Pope posted:

No, I'm just a bit stupid! I learned something today, though!

Imagine Boebert or MTG responding this way when you correct them about "there enlies" or whatever. I dare you

Just a different type of person

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

I think this has changed but it’s less blatant than the gop fuckup parade

Only for some

Pelosi and Schumer are still behaving as if it’s 2008, though the younger dems are actually realizing that the knives are out

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

rotinaj posted:

Only for some

Pelosi and Schumer are still behaving as if it’s 2008, though the younger dems are actually realizing that the knives are out
You mean Jeffries? Pelosi isn’t the minority leader now

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

lmao

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Thinking of this scene right now and how prophetic it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN9lSoh3O3o

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I think Pelosi got a wake up call when a nutcase attacked her husband with a hammer and her “friends across the aisle” made jokes about it.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Can someone send both those bull gifs to their respective chuds on twitter?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Thinking of this scene right now and how prophetic it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN9lSoh3O3o

My Fellow Americans was a great movie

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

But if Nikki Haley lost to none of the candidates, that means she won!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I think Pelosi got a wake up call when a nutcase attacked her husband with a hammer and her “friends across the aisle” made jokes about it.

She should thank her husband for that, the same way she thanked George Floyd for being choked to death by a cop to teach her a lesson about racism

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

You mean Jeffries? Pelosi isn’t the minority leader now

Just because she isn’t in charge doesn’t mean she doesn’t have a lot of status and sway over the party, and all the old fucks are meekly shuffling along, trying not to shake the boat

Last I heard, Jeffries was doing his best to convince folks to adopt old neolib mentality and it wasn’t taking, has that changed?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

You lost to no one in the fake election.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

rotinaj posted:

Just because she isn’t in charge doesn’t mean she doesn’t have a lot of status and sway over the party, and all the old fucks are meekly shuffling along, trying not to shake the boat

Last I heard, Jeffries was doing his best to convince folks to adopt old neolib mentality and it wasn’t taking, has that changed?
What does old neolib mentality mean in this context?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Civil posted:

I know Ken White isn't well liked here, but he was musing in his podcast that the judge has the option of reducing the judgement if he feels it's excessive. If he were to take this step, Ken was saying that the judgement would be more bullet-proof on appeal, since it would be seen as a judicial review of the jury's recommended penalty.

Maybe he'll reduce it to $75M or something, which would still be a LOL.

white seems like a decent dude, but when was the last time he was right about anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Grey Cat posted:

Can someone send both those bull gifs to their respective chuds on twitter?

Done.

They both have their personal and gov Twitter accounts so they got it on both.