Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I do wonder how aware he is that he's basically just treating America as imperial Rome. Though idk he's not the first historian to overdose on their field of study

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StashAugustine posted:

I do wonder how aware he is that he's basically just treating America as imperial Rome. Though idk he's not the first historian to overdose on their field of study

I have run into guys like this, usually ones who have never studied Late Antiquity and so are really invested in the Nerva–Antonine dynasty. They're all about the glory that was Rome. The thing is they don't really understand how it worked, in material terms, or what caused the Crisis of the Third Century and the fracturing into Germanic polities, so... it's all 19th century poo poo.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

I have run into guys like this, usually ones who have never studied Late Antiquity and so are really invested in the Nerva–Antonine dynasty. They're all about the glory that was Rome. The thing is they don't really understand how it worked, in material terms, or what caused the Crisis of the Third Century and the fracturing into Germanic polities, so... it's all 19th century poo poo.

He actually did have a post about the "how bad was the fall of the western empire, actually" question where he admitted in practice your answer can be predicted by whether you study antiquity or the medieval period. Plus while he presented what I thought was decent archeological evidence that the answer was "pretty bad," much like the previous tweet it completely elides how much imperial security and prosperity rested on making everyone else worse off.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Man this is making me want to play Attila again, but a lot of the game play really annoys me

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StashAugustine posted:

Man this is making me want to play Attila again, but a lot of the game play really annoys me

I know, I'm really conflicted bit it, and ToB.

The Roman economy really relied on periodic injections of plunder because the rest of the time the senatorial elite would consolidate all of the wealth and things would slow to a crawl.

If only someone could apply that knowledge to present conditions...

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Frosted Flake posted:

I know, I'm really conflicted bit it, and ToB.

The Roman economy really relied on periodic injections of plunder because the rest of the time the senatorial elite would consolidate all of the wealth and things would slow to a crawl.

If only someone could apply that knowledge to present conditions...

iraq is americas dacia
or something, the thought just came to me and i decided :justpost:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

my dad posted:

As vile as that guy is, he's honest enough to drop the usual liberal mask to outright say some things which are usually left unspoken.

A lot of the rest of what he says is laughable, but this is something I'd like to glue in front of the faces of a lot of people who keep insisting that yanks are just propagandized or whatever.

Yeah, I like the redsails article about propaganda because it has better explanatory power about why liberals keep repeating atrocity propaganda and other idiocy. Namely, that such propaganda soothes their psyche in the face of deteriorating living standards and global standing. Liberals want that propaganda slop.

In other words, all those games about epic anti-communism and SLAVA is to reassure liberals that their politics is the best up until the point that Hamas and Russia plant their flags on Tel Aviv and Kiev respectively followed by the US embassy's rooftop being crowded with evacuation helicopters.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Frosted Flake posted:

Studying Late Antiquity turned me into an insane person who sees the decaying of taxation systems in the west and the basic hygienic functions of empire falling down like a blind beggar profit, wildly gesticulating at the historical precedent like a madman

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Rome Total War: Barbarian Invasion was better than Attila because it made playing the Western Roman Empire an insanely difficult mess. Attila is too nice to you.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Endman posted:

Studying Late Antiquity turned me into an insane person who sees the decaying of taxation systems in the west and the basic hygienic functions of empire falling down like a blind beggar profit, wildly gesticulating at the historical precedent like a madman

Yes, exactly.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Endman posted:

TBF, I think Bret just followed the typical liberal academic route of being brain broken over SLAVA UKRAINE rather than his studies.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Endman posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AOE 2 has a pretty good "Fall of Rome" campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6WK5hjcbE

including an update for the Return of Rome DLC (but is playable with just the base game, as the Byzantines)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6WK5hjcbE

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Dominions 5 was released 54257 hours ago.

The following is a screenshot by the player with the highest playtime:

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Frosted Flake posted:

There were always hints in ACOUP when he would talk about economics, but lmao this is a lot more than I expected.

dont worry, he's recently weighed in on the ongoing conversation about the USSR, historical memory etc.,

https://twitter.com/BretDevereaux/status/1753515758276243886

Endman
May 18, 2010

I don’t recall the Soviets ever cutting the arms off of people for not collecting enough ivory

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tatankatonk posted:

dont worry, he's recently weighed in on the ongoing conversation about the USSR, historical memory etc.,

https://twitter.com/BretDevereaux/status/1753515758276243886

https://twitter.com/SevaUT/status/1753574667007201600

it's been going on since the start of the invasion of Ukraine, but it's picked back up again this week

they keep insisting that the USSR was just as imperialist/colonialist as everyone else

- as a whataboutist rebuttal to accusations of Western imperialism/colonialism
- as a way to draw a through-line from Tsarist Russia, to the Soviet Union, to contemporary Russia, that Russia was always imperialist and never actually stopped

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Strange empire which transfers resources to the periphery imo.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Danann posted:

TBF, I think Bret just followed the typical liberal academic route of being brain broken over SLAVA UKRAINE rather than his studies.

he was politically awful long before that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was looking something up today and found out that Curt Shilling, who otherwise blew tens of millions of dollars on taxpayer money with 38 Studios and the Kingdoms of Amalur series, was apparently a big fan of Advanced Squad Leader, and was instrumental in its revival: he made offers to Hasbro (which acquired Avalon Hill back in the day) to acquire the rights to ASL outright, and was turned down, but when he found out that Multi-Man Publishing was in talks to license the rights, he joined the company as a one-third owner, and it was rumored that he put up at least some of the money needed for the initial deal.

so that's maybe one good thing he did

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's been going on since the start of the invasion of Ukraine, but it's picked back up again this week

they keep insisting that the USSR was just as imperialist/colonialist as everyone else

- as a way to draw a through-line from Tsarist Russia, to the Soviet Union, to contemporary Russia, that Russia was always imperialist and never actually stopped

If you peep the Ukraine thread, this is an idea deliberately cultivated and spread by Canadian and Political Ukrainians that’s got basically no real basis but is very effective at laundering Ukrainian nationalism to squishy western libs.

e: Generic “you”, not “one of the most prolific and insightful posters in that thread” you.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, I read posts just yesterday saying Wagner in Africa was Russian colonialism and Ukrainian SOF killing them was implied to be decolonization. But there is definitely a group a people wanting to link the Russian Federation to Imperial Russia via the USSR. I'm sure BRI "colonialism" will reappear once the fickle attentions of the West turn to Taiwan.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i maintain that it was a mistake to teach liberals words like "colonialism" and "imperialism"

and also words in general

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

BadOptics posted:

Yeah, I read posts just yesterday saying Wagner in Africa was Russian colonialism and Ukrainian SOF killing them was implied to be decolonization. But there is definitely a group a people wanting to link the Russian Federation to Imperial Russia via the USSR. I'm sure BRI "colonialism" will reappear once the fickle attentions of the West turn to Taiwan.

It's definitely going to get really weird where the lack of dialectical (or even historical) materialism results in the west being hated by the global south the more the west acts on its rhetoric of decolonialism because it means the west keeps intensifying bombings and coups without building any infrastructure or helping them climb the value chain at all.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They should draw in the Motherland statue so they can explicitly show that it has the trident on the shield instead of the hammer and sickle.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

after playing it for a while, I think I can say that Civ4:Colonization with the "We The People" mod is the definitive version of colonization. i would recommend it for anyone who gets the itch to colonize

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

i would recommend it for anyone who gets the itch to colonize

wow. Do Better

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i dont like the art for civ4 colonization. i like building up my little towns in the original.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WTP does significantly overhaul the towns, including the old style of empty land getting filled with buildings.

unmoded:

modded:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

after playing it for a while, I think I can say that Civ4:Colonization with the "We The People" mod is the definitive version of colonization. i would recommend it for anyone who gets the itch to colonize

It is very silly that it does the whole "No! It has to be pigskins for leather aprons, get those cowhides the gently caress away!" and that it introduces a bunch of random sort of food exportables and also features hens and geese as separate resources, but it's pretty neat even if I always feel like I'm falling behind.

I don't remember the original gameplay as much, but it is also nice that the mod seems to do more to encourage different gimmick playstyles to mix things up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Putot en Bessin, Normandie, 8 June 1944

The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, belonging to the 7th Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division disembarked on the 6th of June in the sector of Courcelles, where they suffered heavy losses. The next day they were sent to occupy Putot-en-Bessin; on their way, they brushed aside elements of the Panzer Lehr Division, but soon they were to be threatened by an altogether different enemy…

Determined to push the allies back into the sea, the redoubtable 12th SS Panzer Division, “Hitler Youth” had just taken up their positions in the face of the Canadian troops. On the 8th at dawn the German Grenadiers started to assault the village.

here we go...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Kill those 12th SS bastards.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tekopo posted:

i'm shameless so i'm gonna continue to plug my GTS LP but

there are victory conditions in the game that are basically "hold X place by Y date or you auto-lose", and there's no real historical reason why you would have such a deadline, but the effect is that it forces the Allies to defend those places much more strongly because otherwise the winning allied strategy would be to evacuate all of their units immediately

design for effect in wargames is unarguably a good thing

ive been enjoying your LP, thanks for posting it!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

thanks! i was worried that the game wouldn't be very interesting but theres been enough twists and turns to make it interesting

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Kill those 12th SS bastards.

Please clap.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah I agree, I play it every so often when I want to head out into terra nullus and explore a new, unclaimed continent.

I will say that the slavery system is trying to have you make a choice between profit and morality, but it doesn't really work since it's almost always better to hire indentured servants and then train them as experts in native villages.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
O.o looks like hegemony is coming out on tabletopia and has solo mode

Been wanting to try the game forever but can't find ppl to play with, this might be my lucky day

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

are the flaws with civ 4 col that made people say it was inferior to to the original fundamental design flaws or just things that can be modded away? I recall a big complaint was that the king’s army snowballs and becomes impossible to beat but that sounds like something a mod could easily fix?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
ASL update: already hosed up the deployment by not being aware of the rule that mortars cannot shoot from inside buildings.

And the 8 morale Jerries are passing so many morale checks. The Canadians have only broken one squad so far with MG fire.

This is going to come down to close combat very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

You thought mortars could shoot from inside buildings? Like, with roofs?