Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

How does this convert to pecentages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

leet like u k

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Phlegmish posted:

China's is the result of the one-child policy combined with lingering patriarchal norms, of course.

What is going on in the Caucasus, differential migration?

It's sex ratio at birth though, how would migration matter?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

distortion park posted:

this one's just sad.

kind of remarkable that it's >1 basically everywhere in the world. wouldn't that show up in demographics?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

redleader posted:

kind of remarkable that it's >1 basically everywhere in the world. wouldn't that show up in demographics?

Men have significantly lower life expectancy though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

redleader posted:

kind of remarkable that it's >1 basically everywhere in the world.
Natural ratio is around 1.05, so while I can guess what was happening in China and India, cases like Namibia and Botswana are also interesting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah what's going on in southern and southwestern Africa that the ratio is so low?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

redleader posted:

As said by Guavanaut, parents are slightly more likely to have a boy than a girl, this seems to be biologically determined. Then, it depends on the society and historical time period, but it usually equalizes around 50 or so, as men lead more dangerous lifestyles on average. After that, you quickly end up with a female surplus.

EasilyConfused posted:

It's sex ratio at birth though, how would migration matter?

Then I've got nothin'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I remember reading once that environmental factors influence what you get.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

OwlFancier posted:

I think I remember reading once that environmental factors influence what you get.

IIRC if the mother eats three pieces of watermelon while pregnant it's almost always a girl.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Grand Fromage posted:

IIRC if the mother eats three pieces of watermelon while pregnant it's almost always a girl.

Yeah, and if you want a boy, the mother should eat apples.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

Natural ratio is around 1.05, so while I can guess what was happening in China and India, cases like Namibia and Botswana are also interesting.

I recall reading an article about the situation in China, where for a long time it had been assumed that under the one child policy, girls were being abandoned or aborted, but instead it's become increasingly clear that for the most part girls simply weren't registered as births instead, meaning that there's lots of women now in China who have essentially no documentation, and getting that documentation is effectively saying your birth was a crime which you and your parents have been complicit in covering up.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

All this proves is French are liars

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Croatians sighing longingly while looking at photos of the Queen.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I didn't realize Czechia was that eurosceptic (7 years ago). More negative than Hungary is wild.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Phlegmish posted:

I didn't realize Czechia was that eurosceptic (7 years ago). More negative than Hungary is wild.

The Czech political and media landscape is more like a center-right/right-wing hellscape since mid-2010s or so, after a leftist soc dem government collapsed due to scandals.

In some ways a bit like Hungary but politically aligned with German conservatives and US liberals and without an obvious fash strongman like Orban (technically Tomio Okamura exists but he's more of a Le Pen character and never managed to get any real power).

e: It's also probably the most ardent supporter of Israel in the EU, in line with the above about US/CDU (ad taken out by the Israeli government to thank for support at the UN re: Gaza):

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 7, 2024

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Reveilled posted:

I recall reading an article about the situation in China, where for a long time it had been assumed that under the one child policy, girls were being abandoned or aborted, but instead it's become increasingly clear that for the most part girls simply weren't registered as births instead, meaning that there's lots of women now in China who have essentially no documentation, and getting that documentation is effectively saying your birth was a crime which you and your parents have been complicit in covering up.

Huh. That makes a lot of sense and is a fascinating alternate take I hadn't encountered before. I'd be interested in reading the article, if you can find it again.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I don't know how much that is true, but if it is then the hukou system might help hide it in some cases, since a significant portion of inhabitants are without access to state services and benefits due to not having a local one.

But even then you do need id for a huge amount of things (which is rather inconvenient as a foreigner) so I don't know if that would matter.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 7, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

redleader posted:

One of the hypotheses about this is that the Y chromosome is less massive than a X, conferring a speed advantage to swimmers bearing Y.

This does not appear to be true, but since when have we let that get in the way of a good story?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I think to do that you'd have to stick strictly to a sort of social-liberal framework of "we should have a society that helps people have the family that they want" and hope that works for your demographics, because the minute "shrinking native population" or "we can't rely on 'importing' immigrants" rhetoric creeps in then those guys always seem to pop up and go "no wait I've got a far simpler solution to your problem!"

And even when their solution is trash it gets a lot of attention, because it has a bunch of loud voices behind it.

There's far less way for them to hijack "family planning and family services at every size" though, and no need to mention migration at all.

Although on the topic, the vast majority of migration in most places in internal, and the rhetoric we always hear about in that case is 'levelling up' or 'supporting left behind regions'. Talk of internal passports is unthinkable in the West, so that's an interesting comparison.

Education.jpg ?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

One of the hypotheses about this is that the Y chromosome is less massive than a X, conferring a speed advantage to swimmers bearing Y.

Not my field, but what I've heard scientifically is that X-chromosome inactivation is hard, chromosomal abnormalities are a super common reason for spontaneous abortion, and reliably inactivating an extra copy of the X chromosome is hard. Knockouts of the Xist gene responsible for extra-X-chromosome inactivation are lethal (i.e. you can't actually have XX both working due to gene dosage issues causing complete organism failure, but XY both working is fine), so the failure rate of XX eggs could be higher than the failure rate of XY eggs, due to the complication of Xist. I would guess that even less catastrophic modifications than knockout can still be lethal to early embryos. Meiosis is also complicated and super error prone, partly by design.

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't know how many of these women (and probably a lot of them are better described as girls) would have had an abortion

A substantially fewer number of them are better described as girls today, especially in the US. The most recent numbers were just released:

This is overall female fertility rate (girls + women) since this is a maps thread (only 2 states increased in the last 18 years):

and then by age group, since that's the actual topic of conversation:

Saladman fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 7, 2024

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saladman posted:

A substantially fewer number of them are better described as girls today, especially in the US. The most recent numbers were just released:

This is overall female fertility rate (girls + women) since this is a maps thread (only 2 states increased in the last 18 years):

and then by age group, since that's the actual topic of conversation:

I was saying a lot of people getting raped are under the age of 18, not making a point about fertility by age.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Vavrek posted:

Huh. That makes a lot of sense and is a fascinating alternate take I hadn't encountered before. I'd be interested in reading the article, if you can find it again.

Unfortunately it was years ago and it might have even been on paper, but I think it was based on the same study referenced in this CNN article from around the time I would have read it:

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/01/asia/china-missing-girls/index.html

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Private Speech posted:

The Czech political and media landscape is more like a center-right/right-wing hellscape since mid-2010s or so, after a leftist soc dem government collapsed due to scandals.

In some ways a bit like Hungary but politically aligned with German conservatives and US liberals and without an obvious fash strongman like Orban (technically Tomio Okamura exists but he's more of a Le Pen character and never managed to get any real power).

e: It's also probably the most ardent supporter of Israel in the EU, in line with the above about US/CDU (ad taken out by the Israeli government to thank for support at the UN re: Gaza):

You know, I actually wasn't aware of the political landscape in Czechia, I just knew it was doing quite well for a former East Bloc country, so thank you for this post. I visited Prague in 2010 or so, and it already seemed just like any Western European capital city, just with more black guys trying to lure me into strip clubs. It also came up earlier in the demographic discussion as one of the few Eastern European countries experiencing population growth. If it's this Eurosceptic, that's somewhat disheartening, but it makes sense for it to be a 'moderate' Western-aligned form of (neo-)conservatism. Reminds me of Flanders a bit.

Platystemon posted:

Explains Michael Phelps

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Unfortunately it was years ago and it might have even been on paper, but I think it was based on the same study referenced in this CNN article from around the time I would have read it:

I've read similar things in the past, and it makes a lot of sense. Still hosed up, but significantly less so than the alternative. No matter how patriarchal your society is, even just from a strict :biotruths: evolutionary perspective and ignoring the ethical aspect, you obviously don't want to get rid of any of your children if you can help it. China is more decentralized than a lot of people think, I assume this involved sympathetic local officials looking the other way, possibly with a little bribery involved.

I take it these women, not being registered, are also not counted in the census? Could be a :master: from the CCP to start regularizing them in successive waves, and then declare that the proud Chinese nation is growing again.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 7, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One weird fertility trick. Statisticians hate it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I've read similar things in the past, and it makes a lot of sense. Still hosed up, but significantly less so than the alternative. No matter how patriarchal your society is, even just from a strict :biotruths: evolutionary perspective and ignoring the ethical aspect, you obviously don't want to get rid of any of your children if you can help it. China is more decentralized than a lot of people think, I assume this involved sympathetic local officials looking the other way, possibly with a little bribery involved.

I take it these women, not being registered, are also not counted in the census? Could be a :master: from the CCP to start regularizing them in successive waves, and then declare that the proud Chinese nation is growing again.

From that article it seems like many of those girls are indeed registered, it just happened decades later.

"They discovered that though families didn’t register girls immediately after birth or in the months following, they tended to get reported between the ages of 10 to 20."

Considering that you can’t even take a train or pay for anything without an ID card, I’d imagine the number of truly unregistered adult Chinese women is very low. Not that I know so much on the subject.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

DTurtle posted:

Strawman much? I never said it had no impact.

In fact, the statistically representative survey of American adults shows that financial reasons were the reason cited by 14% of parents and 17% of non-parents below 50 for not wanting (more) children. Among parents below 40 this even rises to 26%.

However, the majority of parents or non-parents cite not wanting (more) kids as the reason for it being unlikely that they will have (more) kids.

Lastly, I have no idea why you would bring autism into this discussion.

No studies then eh?

So to be clear, after all that noise, you are actually now agreeing with my point from the start that over work, and financial security issues, are current issues which could and should be solved by governments to help reduce the birth rate decline in the first world. Thats good to see I guess.

I brought autism into the discussion because you repeatedly made a very autistic argument that showed no evidence of ever having talked to women of parental age in the real world.

Saladman posted:

You’re extremely aggressive about this for some reason - and I haven’t been posting about it, so just an outside comment. There are definitely people who "just don’t want to." I have five close-since-teenage-years female friends, two of whom said they didn’t (ever) want kids as teenagers, and now in their mid 30s, they still don’t want kids - I just saw one of them last month and am hanging out with the other next month. They’re both straight, married to men with whom they have been stable with for nearly 10 years, have well paid, secured, and not particularly stressful jobs, no medical issues, their family life growing up was fine, and neither of them had to worry about rent or whatever. I mean this is obviously very anecdotal but such people aren’t unicorns.

Your post before about "what does the ideal family consist of" had like 98% of people saying at least one kid. That’s not the same as "98% of people would ideally want at least one kid." For instance, I think the ideal man’s body looks like Henry Cavil but even if I had all the free time in the world I wouldn’t be shredded, because I don’t actually care.

There are absolutely people who "just don't want to", but I never said there weren't. My points from the start were that 1) the birth rate in many first world societies is unsustainably low now and 2) an important, and good for society, way to help remedy this would be to reduce the amount of time young people work and increase their financial security.

The poster I was replying to was trying to argue initially that increasing immigration, and having current residents work more, were better solutions.

Blut fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 7, 2024

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
We've moved on

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hey, I concur with a lot of the things you've said, but it's not cool to start talking about someone being autistic just because you don't agree with them in an online discussion.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Phlegmish posted:

I am sitting here masturbating in a barrel right now, but people like Bill Gates and Stephen Hawking have refused to recognize my brilliance, due to DEI
I have looked at this map a while and I'm not sure what the Dutch East Indies has to do with anything else you said??

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Reveilled posted:

Bingo, thanks. (The book written by the researchers of that study, published 2019.)

edit: And the 2016 paper (pdf), from a coauthor's website.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 7, 2024

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Phlegmish posted:

Hey, I concur with a lot of the things you've said, but it's not cool to start talking about someone being autistic just because you don't agree with them in an online discussion.

I called their line of argument autistic, to be clear, not them. Which it was. That aside, if someone uses a very autistic style of debate its rather important to call that out so they can learn to improve their debate skills, I'd say.

Its the same as grading a student's research paper badly due to it having poor spelling. It'll annoy them and they may even be insulted, and it might be a struggle for them to overcome if they're dyslexic. But they'll learn from it and improve hopefully - because in both online debates and in the real world they're going to need to, if they're to be taken seriously as adults.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Platystemon posted:

This does not appear to be true, but since when have we let that get in the way of a good story?
Given the recent study that shows that fertilization isn't controlled by who arrives first, but by the egg itself (presumably what you refer to), there's only one conclusion to draw: Eggs are bisexual, with a slight lean towards favoring men.

Blut posted:

I called their line of argument autistic, to be clear, not them. Which it was. That aside, if someone uses a very autistic style of debate its rather important to call that out so they can learn to improve their debate skills, I'd say.

Its the same as grading a student's research paper badly due to it having poor spelling. It'll annoy them and they may even be insulted, and it might be a struggle for them to overcome if they're dyslexic. But they'll learn from it and improve hopefully - because in both online debates and in the real world they're going to need to, if they're to be taken seriously as adults.
I feel like you could describe it in another way. Like, what is it precisely you're saying is autism-style?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Blut posted:

in the interest of calling out your style of debate so you can improve, i'd say that your argumentation has a very "you should stop posting" style

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Blut posted:

You are still using autistic to mean (a specific kind of) bad, instead of the acceptable use, which is something like "not understanding other people's emotions and social cues Very well". You are essentially still stigmatizing autism or using it pejoratively, which is not really cool.

Also this post, and presumably many others in this thread is actually autistic, because this forum tends to attract autistic people. And most of the posts (well, maybe) are good.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Tree Goat posted:

in the interest of calling out your style of debate so you can improve, i'd say that your argumentation has a very "you should stop posting" style

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

heres a map to distract from blut's weird meltdown