Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Redshirt the kingmaker :hai:

A good breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Some people say redshirt has been present at more historic moments than Forest Gump

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And reportedly exposed his buttocks to at least three US presidents

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

‘93 Pumpkins must have been lit. I didn’t see them the first time until ‘96 and Billy was already bald and weird(er).

Oops my bad. I had to pull out my ticket stub and double check, it was actually June 1992.
It was a great show. I remember them playing a bunch of new songs that didn't come out until the next year when Siamese Dream was released in 1993, like Disarm, Today and Rocket.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It probably seems cliched now, but seeing Pulp Fiction with fresh eyes really was amazing. Just something new and totally unexpected. I saw it in it's first week in theaters and picked it almost at random so I had only the faintest idea of what I was going to see. No movie I've ever seen has blown my mind like that.

I was 22 years old and finally understood the ketchup joke.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

digital penitence posted:

Oops my bad. I had to pull out my ticket stub and double check, it was actually June 1992.
It was a great show. I remember them playing a bunch of new songs that didn't come out until the next year when Siamese Dream was released in 1993, like Disarm, Today and Rocket.

Awesome! Also lol at the $12.50 ticket price

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Ticket, a beer, and a t-shirt for under $40. That's what Ticketmaster charges as a "service fee" now

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bonzo posted:

Ticket, a beer, and a t-shirt for under $40. That's what Ticketmaster charges as a "service fee" now

I wish pearl jam won

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

root beer posted:

You probably could have paid half that and got Street Combat Ranma 1/2: Neighborhood Combat Chapter with a coat of paint poo poo

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

redshirt posted:

You could still get a Zima

I think this was more of a 93 thing, but when Zima first came out it was really hard to get. There was an absolutely huge amount of hype for it and not much supply so all us ironic hipsters had to wait a few months until we could be disappointed that it was just updated Bartles and Jaymes.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

We used to put Jolly Ranchers (the candy!) in them. They'd dissolve in the carbonation and I feel like I should have trademarked that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fugazi was right

Pay no more than $5 to see a show

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

$5.98 EP

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I was dealing with the depression that came with my mother's murder the previous year.

Also I turned 12

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I seem to remember the AIDS panic was still going strong

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bonzo posted:

Yup. Also I bought digital tickets for a show last week and got a “collectible” NFT of an actual ticket in my email lmao.

E: Actually I’ll post it here because it certainly fits the thread

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 4, 2024

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This showed up on my YouTube feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAOpDYCG0Fc

The house was built in 1998, somebody bought it then but never moved in and kept it unlived in since then. it never even had furniture in it and even still has owner's manuals in the appliances. It's a new old stock house lol.

Yeah, it's not 1994, but that looks just like a lot of homes I was in 30 years ago. I hope the people who recently bought it leave it the way it is.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
There is absolutely nothing remarkable about that house yet I still love it simply for lacking the hideousness of modern home decor. Not a grey wood floor or sliding barn door in sight.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

lol that looks like my house, built in 2002. now i feel like i need to get new appliances or something. look, everything still works.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Here are my concerts stubs from 92-94. The faded ones are Iron Maiden 92, Metallica 93 and Aerosmith 94.

That Nirvana show was the only one they played in Sweden.

Iron Maiden puts on a great show. I kind of can’t stand U2 now, but it was the style of the times.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Kurt absolutely loved Teenage Fanclub, I think they were the only British band on the bill on the day they headlined Reading in 1992

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'll take grey wood over tile any day of the week

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

naem posted:

the 1990’s were, in many ways, a reaction to the 1980’s.

the over the top brightly colored cult of personality that defined the 80’s was done again only spooky and depressed this time.

also some of the best parts of 90’s culture came from the late 80’s alternative music scene

like a goth younger sibling to the 80’s

all times are reactions and continuations of previous times. Humans don't make decisions or come up with thoughts in vaccuums

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
i went to my first gig in 1994. it was slaithwaite philharmonic orchestra playing elgar's 2nd symphony in huddersifeld town hall. i went with my grandad

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I was 13 in 1994. 8th grade.

Kurt Cobain's suicide meant something to a lot of people but definitely to kids aged 11-18 at the time, oh no our Elvis is dead, music will never recover!

Internet was still mostly AOL, and my Amiga 500 was not cutting edge any more but still getting a lot of use. One of the last Street Fighter 2's came out, and Tekken hit the scene, arcades were still where you would go with your friends and $20 to last 4 hours or so.

I don't remember nokia brick phones being in mass use yet, cell phones might've still been mostly giant ancient suitcases for your car. Give it a couple years, though.

A friend's Mom was obsessively renting every film from Blockbuster/Video Villa/wherever and home taping their entire store, had a special closet full of movies, some of which probably don't exist in any form at this point.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Started Kindergarten. I remember going to the theater to see Lion King at least three times. Played a whole lot of babby edutainment games on my Macintosh LC. Especially Kidpix. Y’all remember Kidpix?

For some reason I remember way more from 1995 for no good reason.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A Star Trek/Comic Book special is on QVC! We're not buying anything, but we're sure as poo poo going to watch the hell out of it!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

1994 was when Delerium's Semantic Spaces came out and I thought I was going to grow up to be a beautiful waifish new age artist wiccan who had a deep connection to animals and nature that no one else would understand.

I'm still obsessed with animals and nature, and I still love that album.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

1994 was when Delerium's Semantic Spaces came out and I thought I was going to grow up to be a beautiful waifish new age artist wiccan who had a deep connection to animals and nature that no one else would understand.

I'm still obsessed with animals and nature, and I still love that album.

So what did you grow up to be instead?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I had a clear out years back so most of my pre '00s gig tickets are long gone but there is one I held onto:

Legendary, both for good and ill but hey, at least the dude went out with a bang (the bang coming from the drum kit when he launched himself at it like a guided missile).

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Holy poo poo, is that show where they did like £35,000 of damage to the venue then the singer just straight up disappeared afterward?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oazitb-PFDs

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Holy loving poo poo. I was in no way ready for the presenter to come out wearing *that*.

This is wonderful.

Edit: this is also the most accurately predictive segment about the internet from this era I've yet seen. They seem to actually know what people would actually want from this kind of communication infrastructure.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 8, 2024

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

My bad, I had an edit snafu.

I believe you were looking at his https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZ5STahhPE&t=215s

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

1993 but close enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFNfVDQdMxs

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Started Kindergarten. I remember going to the theater to see Lion King at least three times. Played a whole lot of babby edutainment games on my Macintosh LC. Especially Kidpix. Y’all remember Kidpix?

For some reason I remember way more from 1995 for no good reason.

gently caress yeah I remember kidpix

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
1994 was pretty much a blur for me.

GreatMrPopo
Apr 17, 2003
i love kami-sama

Snowy posted:

I start thinking about Soul Coughing, who I unfortunately saw live

Why was it unfortunate? Did people start rolling around on the floor when "I'm Rolling" started playing?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

redshirt posted:

So what did you grow up to be instead?

A burnt out former gifted child with chronic depression and anxiety.

I have actually done some pretty cool stuff with my life, I used to think traveling to places like Borneo, Australia, and Belize was impossible for a poverty-stricken abused nobody stuck in a small town trailer park, but I've been to those places now, and many more! I'm even going to go watch a total solar eclipse in 2 months in Mexico. Never would have thought that was remotely possible back then.

I honestly wish I could go back in time and let 13 year old me know that some of my impossible dreams do eventually come true :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i saw Soul Coughing live in 97 or so and i thought it was a pretty good show actually