Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Mr. Kite posted:

I don't know why he used those specific words. Unlike others here, I can't read Cale Makar's mind. It's clearly poorly worded. But I don't see any victim blaming or absolving anyone of guilt. I also don't see him questioning the victim.

People here are rephrasing/editing/infering things that he didn't say. Why create a strawman to attack Makar?

We don’t have to rephrase or edit or infer. It’s in the text. “I wasn’t there <at the sexual assault>. I was <lucky> to not obviously be part of it.”

It’s incredibly simple to understand, most of us are confused how you don’t get why people would push back on that statement. Perhaps you don’t think SA is a serious thing to worry about. Given your cited lack of understanding why these cases can take a long time to get investigated (or don’t get investigated at all) would seem to confirm that you are vastly ignorant on the topic and you should probably stop commenting on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kite you have surpassed GeneralDog and are quickly approaching mcmagic levels of wanting to be the main character

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm pretty sure there is zero overlap between "teams willing to trade assets for a $9.5x3 contract attached to a player who looks washed up" and "teams Ovechkin would accept a trade to"

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Weaponized Autism posted:

The team around Ovie isn't working and they need to rebuild imo. I would say trade him but I don't know who would be a good candidate team to take on a $9.5 x 3 yrs that actually needs him. He needs a Backstrom, he needs linemates that can set him up effectively on the PP.

I think trading him would be a win-win at this point. Free up cap space and rebuild for the future. Ovie can get a change in scenery and maybe find a player/line that brings him back "up" to where he should be in terms of offensive ability. Give him a chance to actually beat the record.

I don't watch Caps games frequently so I can't say what they're doing to actually fix this problem at the ice level but at this point it just sounds like they're rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

I'm torn between wanting to see him get the record and also not wanting him to do the Brodeur thing and going out like a wet fart with another team's sweater on for basically no reason.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah, probably needs 30 more

After properly auditing Gretzky's assist totals, it turns out Dick Beddoes was right, and Sergei Shepelev really was the best player in the early-80s.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Isn't Ovi incredibly beloved? Wouldn't a trade be a pr disaster?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mr. Kite posted:

Why create a strawman to attack Makar?

The irony is thick when you bring up the concept of creating a strawman

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Ovechkin is the last thing keeping fans coming to the arena. It would be a terrible 1-2 punch with the “we are moving to the suburbs” thing that Ted is doing to try to get move money from either VA or DC.

It might be the right move for the organization long-term (if a move could even be found) and someone is willing to pay a ransom. But most likely the player and club are tied together, sink or swim.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I'm not even sure of the on ice value Ovechkin provides and what kind of trade value he'd get.

Off ice marketing/merchandising might be one thing, but that's all in one large revenue sharing pot isn't it?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think there's a way to swing it where Ovi and the Caps come out mutually and say "we know we're not gonna be competitive for a while so we want to give Ovechkin the best chance for himself while we start rebuilding"
but honestly at this point they're not even gonna get major assets for moving him so may as well let him ride it out in DC Arlington

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think there's a way to swing it where Ovi and the Caps come out mutually and say "we know we're not gonna be competitive for a while so we want to give Ovechkin the best chance for himself while we start rebuilding"
but honestly at this point they're not even gonna get major assets for moving him so may as well let him ride it out in DC Arlington

That's how they handled Bourque and it really didn't hurt anything in the long run.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I think if the Caps ate half the cap hit they could move him pretty easily. LIke that roster is dire. Him being on pace for ~60 points is a miracle.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He'll be gone by the time that stadium happens, fortunately, which will be a convenient time for me (and I assume other fans who can't dream of going to Arlington on a weekday night) to reevaluate the relationship with the franchise.

But it's still his team. Unlike Bourque he has his championship and I don't see him leaving unless they fired his buddies into the sun.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
i agree, it really is a shame that the caps won the cup that one time.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
ovi n crosby gonna sign w the nucks in 3 years

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

heehee posted:

ovi n crosby gonna sign w the Kansas City Coyotes in 3 years

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Nybble posted:

We don’t have to rephrase or edit or infer. It’s in the text. “I wasn’t there <at the sexual assault>. I was <lucky> to not obviously be part of it.”

It’s incredibly simple to understand, most of us are confused how you don’t get why people would push back on that statement. Perhaps you don’t think SA is a serious thing to worry about. Given your cited lack of understanding why these cases can take a long time to get investigated (or don’t get investigated at all) would seem to confirm that you are vastly ignorant on the topic and you should probably stop commenting on it.

It is so insanely obvious that he meant "it's lucky I was not there, at the Hockey Canada event I was invited to, because it means I can't even be considered a suspect" and I cannot fathom how anyone could possibly imagine he meant what you think. And to be clear, what he said is still a very dumb thing to say! But the way you are choosing to interpret it is absurd. No one would say that in the way you chose to translate it to a room full of reporters, even if they were thinking it, unless they were incredibly loving stupid (even for a hockey player) and/or a total sociopath.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
You and Kite’s best defense of Makar is that he’s a dumbass who said a very dumb thing in hockey vocabulary about an extremely serious case of alleged sexual assault

Perhaps it’s weird to expect more from hockey players, especially given the sensitivity of the incident. Maybe I’m the strange one, I’d like to think the acceptable bar is a bit higher than an inch off the ground. Who can say.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It is so insanely obvious that he meant "it's lucky I was not there, at the Hockey Canada event I was invited to, because it means I can't even be considered a suspect" and I cannot fathom how anyone could possibly imagine he meant what you think. And to be clear, what he said is still a very dumb thing to say! But the way you are choosing to interpret it is absurd. No one would say that in the way you chose to translate it to a room full of reporters, even if they were thinking it, unless they were incredibly loving stupid (even for a hockey player) and/or a total sociopath.

What the gently caress are you talking about that's a garbage rear end thing to say regardless of anything. Someone got raped and he's like "oh i had a lucky bounce that i didn't rape them" instead of either keeping his mouth shut or showing idk literally any loving empathy for the victim.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I also read it as him saying he was lucky to not have been at the event so there was never any speculation that he was involved. Which is still very incredibly lovely to talk about being happy you were never the subject of rumors or speculation instead of showing empathy for the victim, or condemning the hockey culture that allowed a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds to get a woman fall-down drunk and separate her from her friends at a fundraising gala so that they could do that.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Taking the most charitable interpretation of Makar's words, mentioning that your lawyers have advised you not to speak of the incident but your one comment on what happened is stipulating that you are relieved that you weren't yourself accused or suspected of being involved in a gang rape reflects extremely poorly on Makar. And that's the most sympathetic interpretation of his words and not the plain English one.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Look Around You posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about that's a garbage rear end thing to say regardless of anything. Someone got raped and he's like "oh i had a lucky bounce that i didn't rape them" instead of either keeping his mouth shut or showing idk literally any loving empathy for the victim.

Yeah I literally said that what he said was loving stupid, and it does show a very serious lack of empathy. We agree on that! But he was very obviously NOT saying "It's lucky I didn't participate in the rape (because maybe I would have)" and that what he meant was "It's lucky that I was not at the Hockey Canada event at all". Again, very stupid and selfish thing to say, and it shows a serious lack of concern about the victim and the seriousness of the crimes his teammates committed, but I do not think that he is "pro rape" or whatever people are trying to paint him as right now.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s great that 2 or 3 of the densest ppl alive keep kramering into the thread to proudly proclaim that they can’t understand why a player should be held accountable for saying something that is harmful and indicative of a much larger problem with hockey culture, even if they didn’t intend to do so. “Dumb” is Taylor Hall misspelling “banana”, what Makar said was ignorant at best.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
It seems like some people are interpreting as...

lucky that I was not there otherwise I would have participated

While others are interpreting it as...

lucky that I was not there so I can't be considered a suspect

I just don't understand why, if you are going to interpret, why go for the former, awful interpretation and not the latter, benign interpretation?

Why is there some bias to Cale Makar being a potential rapist? Thats what I haven't understood during this entire discussion. If you are going to infer something, why infer towards the negative rather than the neutral?

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 7, 2024

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
it's not a cale makar thing, it's because they only see the worst in other people. goons eat their own these days

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

I just don't understand why, if you are going to interpret, why go for the former, awful interpretation and not the latter, benign interpretation?

Why is there some bias to Cale Makar being a potential rapist? Thats what I haven't understood during this entire discussion. If you are going to infer something, why infer towards the negative rather than the neutral?

look at these words

look at them

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
pwease leave my best fwiend dale makar awone hes just a small widdle innocent bean and not a big dumb doo doo bwain

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Mr. Kite posted:

Because of the word choice used, and the complete lack of empathy in those words. When you imply that luck is the only reason you're not included in the investigation, the assumption is that if you were there, you'd be caught up in it too. I don't know how it is so hard to understand that when a bunch of your teammates and buddies are arrested for sexual assault, saying it's a lucky bounce that you aren't also facing charges implies that if you'd have been there you'd also be facing them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hmm yes posted:

it's not a cale makar thing, it's because they only see the worst in other people.

yeah especially the bigots

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I mean come on it’s not like anything has happened regarding sexual misconduct and the NHL in the last few years to make people a little sensitive…oh what’s that? Oh I see. Well, anyway.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

hmm yes posted:

it's not a cale makar thing, it's because they only see the athletes continuing to do this poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Twin Cinema posted:

After properly auditing Gretzky's assist totals, it turns out Dick Beddoes was right, and Sergei Shepelev really was the best player in the early-80s.

I’m telling Jon Bois right now. Dorktown incoming.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The league deserves no benefit of the doubt
the sport either

and especially not athletes that drop a "there but for the grace of god go I" regarding their rapist teammates

he might not have meant it the way he said it, sure, but again, the fact that the sentiment is so easily hosed up and misconstrued is blinking red light evidence that the league needs to handle this sorta poo poo better instead of trying to sweep it under the rug every time it happens

and yes, that means players should be having to sit through seminars and media coaching during the offseason to help them regain the bits of empathy that years of the brutal junior hockey system has helped chisel away

it's funny to joke that they come out as hockey robots but the hazing and the bro-omerta and casual misogyny kinda poo poo is the stuff that needs to be crushed out of the system, ruthlessly

and the NHL should want to do that, if not to make a better world (which obviously a business cares gently caress all about), then for the sake of "protecting their investments"

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Makar also stated that hockey culture needs to be more inclusive and do a better job of allowing people to feel safe.

I wish I could find the actual video of that interview

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I agree with everything you've said. The league and players could be so much better about this.

I am talking only about this bizarre accusation that if Makar had been at the event, that he would have participated in the gangrape. I don't understand it at all. It just seems so random.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

My fantasy hockey league is pissed about that "we don't know how to count stats" thing. Everyone sitting out of the playoffs is saying they want their money back. It's great!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cocaine Bear posted:

My fantasy hockey league is pissed about that "we don't know how to count stats" thing. Everyone sitting out of the playoffs is saying they want their money back. It's great!

It’s 2024 why are you giving points for hits

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Kite, please dig up.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Makar also stated that hockey culture needs to be more inclusive and do a better job of allowing people to feel safe.

I wish I could find the actual video of that interview

Yeah I remember that as well.. it was a well thought out answer that demonstrated he had some actual usable grey matter up there at some point.

It must have been before this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JuE-2ekZFw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Hundreds of new posts what's going on in this thr...

:yikes: