Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mark Evan Jackson and Andy Daly

Andy Daly is probably already too expensive, but Nathan Fielder as the assistant (and writer) would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Saved me the effort, thanks

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Khanstant posted:

TM has earned a TM Worldwide. Each continent sends its funniest person willing to do it. If we have to have a tournament TM of each continents' countries to determine who to send, so be it.

They should somehow replace Eurovision with TM.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

itry posted:

So that the Bästa I Test-champion can win the overall championship with SVT bribes, because its good for the gameshow industry of Europe to have the next series filmed in the anniversary year of Doobidoo in Stockholm?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Der Kyhe posted:

So that the Bästa I Test-champion can win the overall championship with SVT bribes, because its good for the gameshow industry of Europe to have the next series filmed in the anniversary year of Doobidoo in Stockholm?

I love how this sentence somehow makes perfect sense while still being complete gibberish.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

itry posted:

I love how this sentence somehow makes perfect sense while still being complete gibberish.
Welcome ro rhe swedish language.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm watching S4 of NZ and Jeremy Wells is finally getting into a groove. Unfortunately, this season just has so so so many "Do an improv sketch; here's the topic" tasks in between some really novel and hilarious tasks.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm watching S4 of NZ and Jeremy Wells is finally getting into a groove. Unfortunately, this season just has so so so many "Do an improv sketch; here's the topic" tasks in between some really novel and hilarious tasks.

Finnish TM has the same problem, which is made worse by not having many regulars with improv background.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

itry posted:

You can pry Eurovision from my cold dead hands.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Taskmaster Australia is coming to the official YouTube channel!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
By "ban all americans" I meant ban everyone in this thread who is in the united states of america. I'm sure there's a couple american comedians that could show up in a version of taskmaster eventually.

Due to circumstances I've been watching seasons 1, 2, and 4 of TMNZ almost simultaneously and I just have to reiterate that Jeremy is quite good. He's not as bombastic as Greg, but he can be quite cruel in a subtle way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm dumping every British post into the ocean until the Americans get taskmaster representation. And proper representation, not just your creepy king handing it over to his comedy central loyalists.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

itry posted:

Der Kyhe posted:

Alhazred posted:

Welcome ro rhe swedish language.

I am Johnius Victorius Ingames Suedonis. Subject of an insulted nation, child of a broken emphireah, part of a people who never loose at anything, and I will have my vengeance. In this life or the next.

And also in eurovision.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 6, 2024

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

Nathan Fielder as the assistant (and writer) would be amazing.

Oh god that would be incredible, just taking Alex's sad and awkward vibe up to a whole other level.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh god that would be incredible, just taking Alex's sad and awkward vibe up to a whole other level.

First Taskmaster Assistant to get genuinely assaulted by a multiple contestants.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Trabant posted:

First Taskmaster Assistant to get genuinely assaulted by a multiple contestants.

Have you not seen the Surprise Paul task from TMNZ lol.

Got straight up tackled.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
taskmaster minnesota is pretty good guys

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Leraika posted:

There's a real charm to it, what they lack in budget and experience they more than make up for in passion and hosed up-mind games

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

nerox posted:

Brennan would honestly be really good as the TM, the Assistant, or a contestant.

Sam Reich would work as the TM or assistant as well.

Bonus edit: Game Changers is back on February 12. I really hope there is a Taskmaster episode this year. :woop:

grant o'brien as the assistant.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
If anyone does cryptic crosswords, here's a link to one themed on Season 5 of TM.

https://crossword.info/elphi/TM5?s=09

You don't have to remember the series inside and out to solve most of the clues (but 12 across requires you to remember a very specific point of contention). Some of the clues are a bit forced, and I still don't completed grasp the wordplay in 40 down, but there's also some clever theming. 45 down is particularly satisfying once you have the answer and can relate it to the surface.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Heavy_D posted:

I still don't completed grasp the wordplay in 40 down

Looks like it ought to be 'gasbag' but if it is I think the clue's wrong. 'Being a giant' or something would work.

E: finished except for 21a. I think it's 'binky' but if it is I have no idea why. Good stuff there though.

E2: oh, I put it in and it says 'congratulations' so apparently it is that. Huh.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 7, 2024

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Unkempt posted:

Looks like it ought to be 'gasbag' but if it is I think the clue's wrong. 'Being a giant' or something would work.

E: finished except for 21a. I think it's 'binky' but if it is I have no idea why. Good stuff there though.

E2: oh, I put it in and it says 'congratulations' so apparently it is that. Huh.

Yeah, i agree with the answer to 40d but like you I can't get the last letter from the wordplay - "last in PE, first in being a legend" is the direct quote from Nish so I understand why they wanted to keep that. Maybe ' "last in PE, first in being a..." gaffe' would fix it?

I also meant to moan about 21a - it's apparently internet slang relating to bunnies? And if I was the crossword editor, 57a would read "Item of clothing - the Taskmaster's last pair - stolen by Gamble", but that's a nitpick.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Oh, I missed that it was a Nish quote. Clearly I have to watch season 5 again, what a terrible burden.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Boxturret posted:

Due to circumstances I've been watching seasons 1, 2, and 4 of TMNZ almost simultaneously and I just have to reiterate that Jeremy is quite good. He's not as bombastic as Greg, but he can be quite cruel in a subtle way.
There’s a task in series 2 where he randomly gives Laura a low score for being “too good”. It was very cruel and also quite funny.

Re: Taskmaster US- I think one of the strengths of the TM format is the diversity of contestants. The problem with Dropout making it is that you’d end up with 5 LA improv comedians who’ve all done a dozen shows together before. It’s probably still be funny though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Leraika posted:

We just finished season 1 and if it weren't for the audio quality there were genuinely times where I could have forgotten I wasn't watching a licensed spinoff.
David created some genuinely good tasks. Although the shoes task was definitely some bullshit that needed a bit more planning...

We got a little ways into the first episode of season 2 and I can already see how much it's improved, too. Not just in audio quality but also in diversity of cast. He probably has more friends to pick from now that he's gained traction, so he can get a good mix of clever and quirky now and not just rope in whoever was closest, lol.
Also Carter as TM was a good move.

Has Alex ever said why 5 contestants? The 6 on Minnesota makes so much more sense for team tasks.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

They have 5 chairs duh

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Inferior posted:

There’s a task in series 2 where he randomly gives Laura a low score for being “too good”. It was very cruel and also quite funny.

Re: Taskmaster US- I think one of the strengths of the TM format is the diversity of contestants. The problem with Dropout making it is that you’d end up with 5 LA improv comedians who’ve all done a dozen shows together before. It’s probably still be funny though.

yeah that is a good point, the skill is there but the vibe is all so familiar and buddy buddy and thats part of the appeal of them. that works sometimes (the Sues!!!) but hanging a whole series on it? I mean it'd be fine but

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Tagra posted:

We just finished season 1 and if it weren't for the audio quality there were genuinely times where I could have forgotten I wasn't watching a licensed spinoff.
David created some genuinely good tasks. Although the shoes task was definitely some bullshit that needed a bit more planning...

We got a little ways into the first episode of season 2 and I can already see how much it's improved, too. Not just in audio quality but also in diversity of cast. He probably has more friends to pick from now that he's gained traction, so he can get a good mix of clever and quirky now and not just rope in whoever was closest, lol.
Also Carter as TM was a good move.

Has Alex ever said why 5 contestants? The 6 on Minnesota makes so much more sense for team tasks.

I never got a real answer other than 5 was the magic number for tasks because even if 4 did it the same way, 1 would at least do something different in the edit.

And for team tasks, they have had Guests show up on teams to make it even at times. But I do like the 3 vs 2 dynamic.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Yeah, is worth bearing in mind that 6 is ~20% further your panellist budget has to spread, might have to pass up bigger names.

In other news, on Friday the youtube channel is going to start uploading Taskmaster Australia Season 1, which should be fun.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
4-5 seems to be a common number for stuff like panel shows as well, I think there's an element of it gets you a decent amount of variety on the panel but not so many people that you end up with everybody talking over each other or someone just not really getting a chance to contribute anything. With a show like TM especially I think they put a lot of focus on giving every comedian roughly equal attention, at least in the edit (in the studio you do sometimes get some who are more talkative than others), so they probably don't want to spread themselves too thin.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Yeah I was feeling like 6 is probably a bit too much but 4 is not enough, so 5 is the sweet spot even if it's not possible to evenly divide teams

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

neongrey posted:

grant o'brien as the assistant.

I feel like he would get too obviously horny far too often. Instead of just covertly horny like Alex.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I feel like Zac Oyama or Jacob Wysocki would be my picks for a CH/dropout taskmaster assistant.
Sam is the easy choice for taskmaster, but only because I can't think of anyone else who could toe that mean but funny line as perfectly.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m catching up on TM slowly but surely, halfway through series 14 now and finally able to start skimming the thread without fear of spoilers.

So far I’d say the most unfairly underrated contestants are Jo and Liza, my BFFs, and most overrated is still Noel.

At least I haven’t felt like anyone since 4 has been as egregiously handed points as Noel was. If he had won the champion of champions I would have had to at least act like a petulant baby for a few minutes or something

This show rules

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I mostly remember it as Hugh being cheated out of points, which is actually hilarious.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Snowy posted:

I’m catching up on TM slowly but surely, halfway through series 14 now and finally able to start skimming the thread without fear of spoilers.

So far I’d say the most unfairly underrated contestants are Jo and Liza, my BFFs, and most overrated is still Noel.

At least I haven’t felt like anyone since 4 has been as egregiously handed points as Noel was. If he had won the champion of champions I would have had to at least act like a petulant baby for a few minutes or something

This show rules

Noel was my favorite of that series (incredibly steep competition though) and probably still deserved the win, but yeah Greg just got enamored with him.

I'm watching through Series 12 again now and I think Morgana benefited some in the same way. She also just got really lucky in some cases, like getting the bonus task to make her team say the word "submarine" without them getting suspicious. Why would anybody find that suspicious with all the weird stuff you have to do in Taskmaster?

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
The "don't give a gently caress" contestants like Liza can be so much fun, especially cos Liza did care about some tasks, but also just bailed when she wanted to. Her giggling and running away from the cake sitting was such a delight, as was hiding from the production team in a graveyard after running away from the candle task.

And "call your agent" was such an incredible atomic put-down, it was astonishing there were any molecules of Russel left on that stage.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Teach posted:

Off to London tomorrow to be in the audience for Taskmaster Kids, will report back.

Well?........

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Still bitter that we came so, so close to the no-fucks contestant winning a series for once. Some day.

Also Noel might have been over-rated in tasks, but he was also just wicked good for a Taskmaster contestant. iirc surprisingly athletic, knows how to make art, and did off the wall poo poo with intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also Noel might have been over-rated in tasks, but he was also just wicked good for a Taskmaster contestant. iirc surprisingly athletic, knows how to make art, and did off the wall poo poo with intention.

yeah the first two bits make the last bit work a lot better too. some people really succeed on taskmaster by confidently proceeding forward with whatever stupid thing they think of first, but that's a lot easier when you're a surprisingly athletic artist lol